An Almost Human Community
FOX (ended 2014)

Almost Human S02E10: "Perception"

What up, Humanites?! That's what you Almost Human superfans like to be called right? If not, consider it your new nickname. It's quite some time (but only four episodes) since we last touched base with the Fox drama, and while I wouldn't say things have changed, they've certainly improved. Two of the last three episodes—"Simon Says"and "Unbound"—were really good, delivering solid procedural storytelling and an exciting look into the show's mythology, respectively. (The third, "You Are Here," was as fine as fine can be, but nothing about it was especially noteworthy.) 

As such, I was pretty excited to check back in with the show, and despite some moderate concerns about the wonky episode-order issue that just will not go away, "Perception" rewarded my anticipation. Last week's hour (which aired as Episode 9) was so focused on macro-level storytelling and world-building related to the synthetics' history that when I learned "Perception" was actually the fourth episode produced, I cringed. To go from an information-heavy and exciting effort full of great guest stars like John Larroquette and Gina Carano to a random case of the week? Sigh. And "Perception" did, indeed, eschew any direct mention of the location of Larroquette's Nigel Vaughn, his larger plans involving robotics, or the much-discussed wall separating parts of the city. That was kind of a bummer. 

However, even though "Perception" was mostly driven by a standalone case, it managed to weave in some crucial character tidbits and remind us of what happened with Kennex and his traitor gal-pal waaaaaaay back in the pilot (yeah, remember that?). So in that regard, this episode ended up being one of the more successful installments of Almost Human's admittedly short run. 

At this point, comparisons between Almost Human and Fringe aren't always helpful. They are two different shows, with different aims. But a number of people from Fringe's creative team moved over to Almost Human, and episodes like this one reflect how the previous show's sensibilities and routines are bleeding into the new one, differences aside. Though I could talk about Fringe's big, ongoing story until I'm blue in the face, that show truly thrived while developing taut, moving standalone stories about the main cast, random guest stars, and sometimes both. Some months back, Almost Human hit that note with "Skin," which featured a great story about Dorian trying to understand life and death, and "Perception" took a similar approach with a case that worked well in its own right, but was also smartly tethered to John's trauma and attempts to regain his memory. 

The case, wherein a few genetically modified genius-level teens died of a mysterious drug overdose, did exactly what every Almost Human case should do. It began with a weird sequence of events, it introduced us to some useful information about the show's universe, it created a few opportunities to show off the futuristic technology of that universe, and then it dropped the emotional hammer at the end. That's the formula the show should always broadly work from, even if it's not going to hit every one of those elements in a given episode. 

Most everything here felt purposeful and considered. I loved the school set and the location the producers chose for the teen drug dealer Julian's home. Almost Human always looks great when the characters get to go outside/aren't trapped inside HQ, cars, or dingy research basements. More of that! And the story had some moderately interesting developments in how the "chromes," the genetically-modified kids, interact—or don't—with the "normal" kids at their school for the gifted. 

But the important takeaway here was the reveal that Valerie is a chrome. The show alluded to this a week or two ago when she had a random argument with Richard, but this was our confirmation. I both liked and disliked that "Perception" kept this revelation a bit low-key. On one hand, I appreciate that Almost Human seems interested in holding many of its cards close to its chest, so that it can slowly unveil them over time, because that gives viewers a chance to get familiar with the world and its similarities to ours. Coming out swinging with IT'S THE FUTURE AND EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT won't work on network TV. So this is part of a larger story, no doubt. 

Yet, on the other hand, I did think it was weird that "Perception" was an episode about chromes and their place in the world, yet it barely used the chrome we already know to help us understand and process the chromes' experience. If you're going to reveal that Valerie's a chrome, that's cool, but do something with it, you know? Minka Kelly did some good stuff in the moments she was given, even doing some real acting in the background of a few scenes where John and Dorian were more prominent. But knowing that we've already seen a half-dozen episodes that technically came after this one, and it wasn't mentioned, I'm a bit bummed. That was a weird choice.

Nevertheless, in Valerie's place, "Perception" dug up John's excursion through his own brain to provide more lost information about the Syndicate and Anna. The wonky episode order made it a little jarring to return to this investigation at first, particularly because "Perception" went out of its way to describe how Dorian just recognized that John was acting off, but in this case, it also kind of made sense to picture John putting his brain into overdrive in an attempt to remember and connect the dots. We didn't glean a whole lot of tangible information other than the fact that Anna gave John a Russian nesting doll that was mic'd up—and is still mic'd up. So somebody's spying on him.

However, the final act of the episode did the legwork to draw a line between John's obsession over what happened to him and this week's culprit, a mother whose thirst for answers and some kind of payback pushed her to orchestrate the deaths of two of her dead daughter's classmates. The show probably laid it on a bit thick by showing us that the mother had the same sort of futuristic Conspiracy Board (loosely related photos, articles, and Post-Its) as John, but hey, linking the two worked for me. Almost Human has already gotten tremendous mileage out of the lightweight banter between John and Dorian, and really all of its characters, and that's great. But it's nice to be reminded of some of the more dramatic histories and murky places that everyone's coming from. 

Out of order or not, "Perception" smartly set Almost Human up to dive a little deeper into its primary interests. Hopefully the show keeps turning in episodes like this one that serve procedural necessity, character development, and world expansion all at once.

NOTES TO BE UPLOADED

– Tiny pills that are made specifically with an individual's DNA in mind! Nice touch.

– It was kind of weird that John destroyed a police cruiser and then in the very next scene, he and Dorian were pushing forward with their investigation, in a new car, with nary a word about how anyone reacted to the news, what it will cost, etc. Throwing a Band-Aid on Dorian's earlobe didn't do it for me. The captain had to have been pissed, right?

– Good on all the actors who portrayed the chromes here. They were just slightly off in a way that suggested difference, without overdoing it. I'm not sure how that blends with Minka Kelly's relatively normal (but still good!) performance as Valerie. 

– Almost Human's ratings have stabilized and with DVR numbers factored in, the show is actually doing pretty well. We could—and should—get a second season. Yay?

Have you been keeping up with Almost Human? What'd you think of "Perception?"  

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/3/2014

Season 1 : Episode 13

133 Comments
Comments (133)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I find it funny that the lawyer was holographicaly projecting himself, but had a Microsoft Surface sitting on his desk.
Flag
Just watched this episode today. Epic product placement fail. Do they want us to think that future hologram lawyers will use 35 year old tech? Or that Microsoft isn't going to change anything in the next 3 1/2 decades?

Flag
SECOND SEASON! SECOND SEASON! (Animal, don't eat your cymbals! It's just a TV show!)
Flag
Liked this episode..
Was nice to see Kennex getting flasbacks of what happened...and trying to deal with it.
Poor Dorian...he get's hurt every episode...poor thing...!!1
Valerie a Chrome..whatever that means in this series...
Loved the small pill storyline..
really liking this series..
Flag
What I'd like to see... is another DRN like character (1 episode only) coming into town from elsewhere, with "emancipation papers" and see how that entire paradox/irony plays out. Will they (papers) be torn & force the DRN into servitude? Or would there be "humanities"/Chromes/A.I.'s sympathy/outrage?
Would make for an interesting story.

I can see myself as a salvaged human (brain stem & cardio-vascular) integrated into a DRN just for $hit$ and giggles... Let them (PD) figure out what to do with me... Any laws on the show over that yet?

Flag
Good plot. It was one of those, "I know he's behind it all, no wait... he's not. Yep. It's him."
The "Wall" is really starting to make a whole lot more sense, now that we know how literal (not just metaphorical) it really is. Tear down the wall! Or at least so we can find out more about all the fear & fuss (other than the origins of the story line)
I always referred to the Cylons as chromes & toasters... and skin-jobs (Battlestar Galactica). Maybe that's why I'm attracted to the "Almost Human" concept. I wonder if there'll be any other parallels between the two shows (A.I. wise)
Flag
"Chrome" of course (in this show) meaning chromosome... vs. "Chrome" from BSG being the metal quality.
Flag
Simply entertainment. Not my favorite show, but I like it. :-)
Flag
Staff
Absolutely deserves a second season.
Flag
I liked this episode mainly cause it kinda reminded me of Fringe... man I miss that show
Yes I was expecting more of Valerie in this episode! She seems nice and smart why can't she have an episode where we get to know her? or at least a little more of her? please?
I actually laughed at the shows total lack of sense about the car accident. It was like "mmm should we have another scene where Maldonado yells at John for being reckless? agh why bother? let's skip it! and what about the car? let's give them abother one!"
Yes I did forget about the syndicate, Anna and the guy who gives John drugs to remember stuff.
Flag
I liked the opening act, stylish.
Flag
It was good to see the White Cheetah and Dorian back in action
Flag
I'm glad the ratings are stabilising. If this show gets a season 2 then it needs to crank up the quality at least 15% imo. I'll keep watching whatever, but I know the fickle masses wont...
Flag
Last week it dropped to 1.9. This week hurt with a 1.6. But I think they expect it with the Olympics starting. I'm glad there is a TV alternative. Now that they have started, the shine could wear off and bring in more next Monday. Everything I have read (except "ByThe Numbers") believes a renewaL is likely.
Flag
so, we ever going to get our version of Khan? heheh
Flag
Minka Kelly as a genetically engineered human..........only God can create that perfection.
Flag
Honestly, if I didn't read about it from all you lovely folk here, I wouldn't have noticed that the episodes are out of order.. I'm pretty used to random character developments from CSI:NY, though, so maybe that's just me and my horribly unschooled brain, but I really don't mind any of the developments that have happened here so far.
Also, I want those magic post-its! LABEL ALL THE THINGS!!!
Flag
Oh man! Glad I wasn't the only one geeking out about the digital Post-Its :)
Flag
Count me in as well. I'm always sticking old-school post its around my house. I'd be insane with magic post its!!!
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
– It was kind of weird that John destroyed a police cruiser and then in the very next scene, he and Dorian were pushing forward with their investigation, in a new car, with nary a word about how anyone reacted to the news, what it will cost, etc.

Especially when a couple of episodes ago in Arrhythmia... just moments after a funny chaotic chain of events resulted in another destroyed android and a broken fire hydrant... Maldonado called them and screamed "What the hell!"

You'd think a damaged cruiser that almost resulted in Kennex's death would have resulted in a similar phone call.
Flag
Hah, yeah - I wondered about it for a moment too.
My guess is the android was much, much more expensive than the police car - hence it warranting a scolding while the patrol car got a behind the scenes shrug (if anything at all).
Flag
I have to say, Corey...this is YOUR job so I understand. But it appears that you haven't bothered to check out the community AT ALL. No - it hasn't been awhile since WE visited the show. YOU disappeared. And I took on doing reviews. Photo recaps take about 4 hours to do, but it was joy to do a show I liked. It would have been nice of you to shoot me an IM so I didn't do all this work. And if you are going to stick with it - maybe stop by the community once and see what is going on. I better IM this to you in case you decide to ignore it again. And please...a heads up if you are doing the rest of the season so I don't do all this work for nothing.

I'll go ahead and finish my review if anyone wants to see it - check back to the community. I doubt it will be Front Page since it is redundant.
Flag
You'll always have support if you continue what you're doing dude! I wouldn't even know where to begin (as much as I would have liked to) and remember that your posts previously were 'voted up by TV.com staff'
Flag
I'll definitely check out your review. I wasn't gonna comment on this article (as I didn't want to show support for the fairweather-reviewer), but I do support your comment. As far as I'm concerned, your review of this show will be the main one- and the only one that's done out of appreciation and enjoyment instead of begrudging "do I have to?" obligation.

No one who writes on this site owes me anything, so I appreciate the time and effort that's been put in for viewers and fans. Not to be too harsh with Corey, but to just disappear like that for 4 episodes and pop back in without even an attempt at an excuse though is kinda not cool. It's obvious he doesn't really like the show, as a good 60% of the review is criticism of what it should be doing better.

Ed, don't let it deter you from writing your reviews. But even if you do decide not to write up every ep, know that I do appreciate the effort you put in. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.
Flag
@shunsai I have to say, I see it quite differently.

I don't expect any reviewer to do reviews of every episode. Who knows what other shows and articles need writing. Of course, it's in TV.com's interest to keep readers, so missing shows may lose readers.

I also think it is natural that reviews would lean towards negative for a lot of TV shows. Lets face it, most of it is not very good. If everything was the quality of Fringe, Almost Human would not be good enough.

Personally I'm not a big fan of so much getting voted up by TV.com staff (some of it, not edshrinker's, has been terrible).

@edshrinker I don't think the photos are necessary at all. Honestly, sometimes I think reviews here have too many. I skip them. Save time and just put them when the writing needs it.
Flag
I appreciate the feedback, Mike, but I don't do a review, I do a recap, A photo recap, I don't really critique the episode beyond stuff I thought was cool an interesting. I am trying to minimize the words and letting the pictures tell the story - with humor thrown in via the captions. I loved Price Peterson's and I thought it would be a fun and different way to discuss the show. I think that is valid especially now that Cory is back to doing his reviews. At least it is a change of pace from his.
Flag
Unfortunately alot of the reviews on this site seem to be steering towards the negatives. But I back what your saying.
Flag
Damn - all this discussion about Corey is giving him a "hit" with the comment numbers! Now I remember about what you said earlier about not wanting support the review. What have I done!?!?! ;-p
Flag
And he can shove that silly nickname up ......

Well, now I am being petty. ;-p
Flag
Thanks shunsai. If you guys feel that way - then that puts a new perspective on things.

I didn't mean to belittle Corey - I'm sure he writes for a bunch of shows (I don't follow any staff per-se - I do love Kaitlin and Price, though) so, he may have been overwhelmed. It was cool he gave the show some coverage this week. I take that as a good sign. What chaps my ass are the opening lines of his article (implying ALL of us disappeared and now that he is back, we are all back into it) and the Question he put up (asking if we have been following the show) - all he had to do is spend 5 minutes on the Community to see we have all been quite active. And that a USER has been trying to do "Staff level" reviews. Maybe then he would have acknowledged - "Hey, great job fans!". And possibly give this USER a heads up so he didn't look foolish posting a review on top of his. I IM'd him to see if he is writing for the rest of the season. No response of course.
Flag
Noel and Andy are the only reviewers I can think of who consistently respond to comments when needed. I think Price may do so as well but I've given up on reading all the comments that Teen Wolf generates (so many comments). Tim and Cory don't seem to comment or read the comments unless someone "makes them" (just guessing but that is what is seems like). On the rare occasion that they response, it sometimes seems to be a snarky response. It's probably not intentional but it may seem/feel that way. Maybe they (T & C) are busy, which is a valid reason, but kudos to Noel (and Andy with the Spartacus reviews) for using their own time to reply to some comments.
Flag
@edshrinker
you have my friendship and respect:-)

I hear (and agree with) what you are saying and have voiced similar concerns in the past. I was trying (lol) to be tactful since I have ranted a lot about certain reviewers. I respect the reviewers and post writers who care enough to read the comments, respond and thumb up when appropriate. Maybe the others feel it is beneath them or since they aren't getting paid for responding to comments then they don't bother unless they had their feathers ruffled and want to snap back. I was trying to be tactful by saying they were busy (giving them an "out").

I also work 40-50 hours a week (depends if I am on call then it may be more). I've been very harsh on Tim and Cory in the past and was trying (a teeny tiny bit) to be diplomatic (fail)...lol. Noel is my favorite reviewer employed by tv.com but I think the only shows we have in common are Arrow and Hannibal, unless he does The Good Wife--I can't remember and am too lazy to look it up;-) This site needs to give Andy some shows to review instead of always having Tim (and Cory and Kaitlin) write everything. We need variety! Thank you for adding to the variety. There are other reviewers but either I don't watch the shows they watch or they aren't reviewing much. All I ever see now is stuff by Tim, Kaitlin and Cory (plus the employees who write and promote their own community posts). Maybe I just watch the shows they review but I watch a lot of shows so I don't think that is the explanation.
More +
Flag
I've seen Noel pop up in alot of random threads I'm checking out but unfortunately he doesn't review the majority of the content I check out (apart from Arrow and I tend to agree with him on alot of things)
Flag
If one can do it, so can another. I assume they don't feel it's important, whereas the other 2 do. I work 50 hours a week, but I love to do this stuff when it's slow at work and I have off. It's not my job. but I enjoy it. And one thing I feel is important is that if I am asking you to read something I wrote - then I make damn sure I read and often respond to every comment on it. I guess it is simply a way of thinking some do not share - even when they are paid to do it. It's a shame. Like I said - there is no way Corey spent one second glancing at the Community page - or he wouldn't have said what he said. I am quite sure the only reason he gave AHany time was because many shows are airing reruns during the Olympics. Argh. Enough about him. He'll earn his check writing - and I'll earn your friendship writing about a show I love. Fair enough.
Flag
With this beeing the 4th episode in the production order to me it is the one with the most problems generated by the changed order of broadcast.

1. John basically stopped obsessing about his ex in this ep, but he hasn't really done that since...forever. In 102 he is in anger management classes, it escelates into 104's "remembering obsession" that he stops at the end of it. After that, as far as I can remember, this issue does not come up ever again.
  2. We learn here, that Insindicate has been listening to him until now. With this order, that would mean something entirely different than intended.
  3. Not haveing set up the "wall" storyline from last weeks 109 makes that whole thing even stranger.
  4. We were supposed to learn about Valerie beeing a chrome, but they not only do nothing with that in this episode, that topic never came up again in 105 through 110. What?
  5. The whole issue of Internal Affairs seems to be over by end of 104. The order basically meant that it continued in the background until after 110.
  6. Dorian and John discuss issues of trust, command structure and police-partner-stuff in this ep. Still?? after ten episodes? That issue clearly makes no sense here, but it would have, beeing the fourth episode.
  7. This episode has been pushed back the most and it has many "universe"-threads that it touches upon, so of the early ep's it felt the most out of order and context - at least to me.
That said, I still liked the episode, but it would have been better had it been in its intended place.

I still don't get why this whole mix up was done.

More+
Flag
I agree with you this did not help explain anything just muddied it more. I was hoping that this episode would explain "the Wall" that came up last week but it did not. I don't expect every show to be like HIMYM or Once upon a time and have everything mean something and tie into a greater story. But they have been really bad a randomly introducing something and acting like we whould be familiar with it and then never mentioning it again.
Flag
I see I'm not the only one that thought "the Wall" popped up out of nowhere.
Flag
There certainly has been no talk of a wall on the show bevore. But after rechecking some things for my above statement I noticed that in some nighttime shots of the city you can see a destinct brightly lit "snake" run through the city which seperates areas with electricity from those without. It only has right angel turns and sort of looks like a street but with insane lighting. My guess is that that is supposed to be the wall as well.

Sorry, don't have a pic to show you...
Flag
Yeah, we were discussing it last week in the community. The running theory was that this out of order episode would fill in the blank...it obviously did not.
Flag
Yeah - I threw that theory in to my review last week. I'll be honest guys - I do agree with all the points Xub listed and it torques me off FOX is doing this. We won't know how much better it could have been until the season ends and we watch it in the correct order. One thing I will say. It was suggested by someone smarter than me that the way they introduced the Wall was intentional. Just a random thing dropped on us to make us go "WTF"? I am warming up to it. I kinda like the mystery of it.
Flag
I really enjoyed the episode, but it was a bit too obvious that it was the fourth instead of the tenth. The storyline was interesting, as well as the chromes. I liked that the girl's death put the chromes' existence in perspective.
Flag
I liked everything but I thought the nesting doll was stupid, I mean, what were they going to get out of listening in on John? He like never talks!!
Flag
I really enjoyed the last 2 episode. I came into this one knowing it was an out of order episode and got nothing to do with last week. I adjusted my expectation but it was still a weak episode. So far though the series was aired out of order, it did not seem too bother me too much. However this episode, it became very obvious that it is an earlier episode and perhaps that really affected my viewing pleasure. In the end, I did not even pay much attention to the case. I just hope next week episode will return to being awesome.
Flag
Did you know Urban was the lead in the last Dredd movie? If Valerie is a Chrome, shouldn't she be a better cop AND out in the field more often? While it makes "TV" sense for Lila to walk into the ocean, it makes much more sense for her to OD on Vero. Also Lila's mom should have ODed the dealer FIRST!!!
Flag
I'm wondering why Stahl isn't a better detective as well. Shouldn't she be just as "smart" as Dorian? I'm very curious about her reasons for joining the police force in the first place.
Flag
Dorian cheats. He's pretty much connected to the entire web and can look up anything he needs in seconds. :P
I always figured Stahl was more of a CSI/specialist than a detective; she seems to have the tech stuff down pretty well.
Flag
I'm begining to think google has something to do with this show, with all the chrome's and androids
Flag
Considering just how out of order this show has been broadcast there really haven't been THAT many continuity issues. That said, there are some and the further along we go the more apparent they become.

I'd like to point the finger entirely at the network, but I've seen too many good shows that built up slowly but cancelled because before they got rolling. Part of that definitely falls on the network for not having the patience or confidence in their product...the rest falls on the viewers. I blame those who's idea of quality entertainment is defined by Duck Dynasty, Jersey Shore and the plethora of absurd brain cell killing "reality" shows.

I don't know if the re-worked order was good or bad for 'Being Human'. Perhaps without it, the aforementioned viewers would have checked out 3 episodes in and the show already cancelled. Maybe ratings are down because of the re-worked order. I can't second guess any more. Best I can do is cross my fingers and hope for the best.

This show is too good not to get renewed.
Flag
"Have you been keeping up with Almost Human?"

No, I stopped watching some time ago. I just get irritated at all the squandered potential. When I watch something, it's because I'm curious about what's going to happen. But there's no reason to be curious when nothing that happens has any relevance to future episodes.

I even like Intelligence better than this. They at least have something going on other than the case of the week (in some of the episodes at least). That's literally the only thing they do better than Almost Human, but it's enough.
Flag
As a faithful viewer of both shows, I must respectfully disagree with your conclusion and suggest that you catch up on Almost Human before making such comparisons. (I never understand people that comment about shows that they don't watch.)
Flag
"...suggest that you catch up..."

Why? Has the show changed a lot in the last three episodes?

"I never understand people that comment about shows that they don't watch."

I never understand people who make that comment. This could have been the best new show of the year, but the creators decided to make it a pure procedural, without anything that resembles a story. That makes this show by far the biggest TV disappointment of the year. If that's not a good enough reason to comment about a TV show, then I don't know what is.

Also, I was answering the direct question "Have you been keeping up with Almost Human?". There were no instructions that said that only "yes" answers are welcome.
Flag
I know it sounds like a shameless plug (but hell, it's not like I am STAFF and get paid), but check out my review from this week: TV.COM - AH: Perception I really felt the larger story id starting to take shape. I really felt like invested time with the inSyndicate/Anna arc this week within a really cool/future-ish story. No 'splosions or gun fights - but it really engaged me viscerally. I know - I write on it so I have more invested in the show... but I have really dug the last 3 episodes. Maybe after season 1 ends - go back and watch them in the correct order. There are a bunch of us that plan on doing that.
Flag
Why? Has the show changed a lot in the last three episodes?

Yes. It really has. Best ep yet, and I have thought that after every ep the last month.
Flag
Good to know. I really don't like that the show is just case of the week, but I may need something extra to watch now that some of my shows are taking a break.
Flag
I enjoyed the episode for exactly what it was, something to move the shady ex story line. I'm glad we finally got some movement to it. I hate when they move episodes around. It kills continuity ala Firefly.
Flag
Even though this story appears to be open and shut, I half expect Valerie to end up trying the drug by season's end...although I'm not sure how, since it has to be custom made.
Flag
Ummm,..I swear I chose my username for this site a long time ago. Ultra-Humanite is an unrelated cultural reference.

I'm more curious how the chrome concept will be used again later. The Gattaca angle or the Eugenics Wars?
Flag
I guess no one noticed the school being seen first, as far as I know, in The 4400. The Center I think it was called. And yes, I think it was also used in the Mentalist. I am wondering what the show would resemble if shown in the order intended by the order of the episodes.
Flag
Yes! The 4400! It did seem familiar!
Flag
Yes, to everything you said(wrote) Cory. Also, this episode dangled a detail from Kennex's past - the guy from internal affairs mentioned his father. Curious to know that story behind that.
Flag
Ok, I thought I heard him say "Look at your father." but the closed caption said "Look at your file though." I curious which it really is.
Flag
Haha, funnily enough, I actually thought he said "file though" when I first watched it. But after these comments, I rewatched that scene really closely a few times and I'm almost certain it was "father." It also makes more sense why Kennex got all prissy at that moment and walked out.
Flag
Interesting. I'll have to re-watch it.
Flag
I also noticed that the spoken and captioned dialogue seemedto disagree with each other.

Sometimes it seems clear that captioners are given the text by the studios in advance to simply be added as given. Even the best of captioners couldn't possibly be that good. This is especially true of nearly all of the captioning on FX's shows, where it's always accurate, precise and perfectly spelled, regardless of how unintelligible the dialogue is (e.g., SoA's Chibs) or how obscure some of the terms are (e.g., things mentioned in Archer). This would also completely explain how sometimes totally different dialogue is spoken versus what the captioning says. My guess is that the dialogue was altered after the captioner was given the text.

Other times, it seems as though the captioner is left on his/her own, relying solely on their ears and linguistic skills. That sort of captioning, while reasonably good overall, is still much more prone to having mistakes, sometimes obvious ones.

Flag
I was surprised that Valerie didn't have more to do in this ep, too. I liked it, though. The case of the week was interesting, but I enjoy the world building the most.

Good to know the show is doing well in the ratings. I have my fingers crossed it gets picked up for another season!
Flag
From TV by the numbers, last week:

The Cancellation Bear moved his prediction for Almost Human down to "likely to be canceled". Its 2014 ratings haven't been bad, but the lack of additional episodes ordered, and Bones moving back to Monday at 8pm sends the signal that Almost Human is done. Those claiming it was always intended to be a 13 episode "limited series" like Sleepy Hollow are engaging in delusional revisionist history.
Flag
That 'Almost Human' is at risk of being cancelled while that empty vesel of what used to be a decent show 'Bones' gets renews is a travesty...a sham...a mockery. It's a travishamockery!
Flag
This will upset people but I think both Bone and Castle are stale and need to make way for refreshing shows like Almost Human. I still watch Bones (quit Castle last season) but I would give it up for this show.
Flag
Quit Bones this season, still watch Castle and certainly will watch season 2 of Almost Human.
Flag
Every sci fi show I ever really like is always at risk of being canceled GRRR. I'm just going to stay kinda optimistic about Almost Human, but I won't be surprised if it gets canceled.
Flag
No making up words.
Flag
Burgleflickle!!!
Flag
it was awkward because they shuffled the episodes. The 3D printer looked way too low tech to print molecules and the crash avoiding systems are available now. Why would a future police car with a sophisticated robot in it crash??
Flag
This is gonna be a bit of a nerdy comment but then Almost Human shouldn't reference two movies I hold very dear: The Double Life of Veronique and Three Colours Blue and a favorite TV series Fringe in the opening scene. The music is from Three Colours Blue and is also used in the final season of Fringe when Walter plays it in his mind to block out the torture from the observers. In Fringe there is a clear connection between the text in the music and the themes of season 5. In Almost Human the connection is more with the movie Three Colours Blue how a mother deals with the death of her child, but it's not so strongly tied as in Fringe. The reference to The Double Life of Veronique doesn't extend any further then the opening. The two woman seem to be connected somehow one of them dies on stage seemingly from passion. This is not the case and doesn't feature any further in the episode.
Both movies are directed by Krzysztof Kieslowski
and the music is by Zbigniew Preisner
Also were the bees a reference to the X Files?
Time to take my recollection pills.
More+
Flag
There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with your recollection....I alos had never heard of the movies, probably my mistake.
Flag
First: Bloody Hell! What a lot of SPAM crap on this article? How many times does that stuff need to be flagged to be removed?

Now, I do like the show, right now it is one of the most decent sci-fi things we have... Helix is very up & down... Continuum is not back yet & Lost Girl has been rather erratic... (sorry hard core fans of Haven but I do not watch anymore...) PLUS I am very behind with Orphan Black...

Anyway, yes I agree with MirelaPilipo and the "convenient excuse for Minka Kelly's bad acting" but I would like something to come out of being a "Chrome" Why would a Chrome choose to be a detective? She definitely looks "weird" to me but not particularly bright...

Can't wait for next eps and hopefully the "renewal news"
Flag
I try to like this show, but last night was a stinker. There is more action with Flow in a Progressive Insurance commercial then in last nights episode. What a YAWN.

I wants shows like this to leave me saying WOW, not asleep in the chair. No action, no robots, no fights, just talking me to death. this show is on the bubble and they better pick it up or else.

Flag
I stopped watching some time ago, but the "just talking" argument sounds very strange. That was what they did best.
Flag
With kids.... I guess I should have added. No continuation with the previous week which was action packed and pretty good. John Larroquettewas the crazy scientist and got away with a good story are to follow.

Flag
I was under the impression, and I could be wrong, that the reason Minka Kelly's chrome-behavior seems normal is because she wasn't on the brain-drug and most of the chromes that dorian and John interviewed were on the drug (they kept telling John he wouldn't understand like it was a secret drug-code)

Then again, now that I think of it, it seems silly to think that many students would be on the drug since the guy who was making it was expelled/kind of an outcast. So nevermind.

Regardless, enjoyed the episode, especially the tie-in to the pilot. I had forgotten all about his ex and it was cool to return to that plot. I hope to see more connection between his ex, insyndicate, and the Dr. from last week.

Flag
All Almost Human fans - just letting you know that while Corey's been off reviewing other boring shows (J/K Corey 😋) - every episode of AH has been reviewed right here on TV.com by @edshrinker. They're really fun too and include screen caps like Price Peterson's recaps.
Check them out in the Almost Human community here.

Flag
...and I swear, MirelaPilipo - your check is in the mail!
Flag
Hehe....pssst - don't tell any- I MEAN WHAT CHECK? I don't know what you're talking about.
Flag
Silly Duck
Flag
Quack! *makes Elizabeth Mitchell lips*
Flag
I've been keeping up with edshrinker's posts and have enjoyed them. My question is why Corey has reviewed this particular episode instead of him. The staff writers seem to be dropping in reviews for shows they haven't done for a while (edshrinker isn't staff, he's a user like us and his reviews have been 'voted up by TV.com staff')
Flag
Mirela and Coodookie. I finished the review and posted it on community page. Hope you enjoy.
Flag
Only Corey can answer that. We had ZERO coverage, so instead of continuing to bitch - I jumped in. I found this to be the best episode of the season. I'll explain why in the PHOTO RECAP later today! COrey 's review is different than mine. Like MirelaPilipo said, technically a photo recap and summary - his is more critique and opinion. Hope they still promote it - check back here Tues evening (US time) and I will have it up - if it doesn't make it to the front page!

Thank you Coodookie & MirelaPilipo!! Very appreciative of the support!
Flag
Kennex is just such a stereotypical tough guy/cop (from the 80's), especially in these early instalments. It's really hard to connect or relate to him. Dorian/Micheal Ealy is great and this episode proves that he doesn't have to chew the scenery in every episode to deliver a good performance.
They did a really good job with the chrome kids and the actors who played them. Speaking of acting, another episode where Minka Kelly should've at least gotten 1 scene - but didn't!? I know she's a weak actress but since they hired *her* specifically (and wrote in a convenient excuse for her bad acting) why not use her?
Lets hope the show get a second season and starts delivering some strong episodes.
Flag
Is it because of the Olympics that TV.com writers are returning to reviewing shows they haven't for a while (Mary-Ann on BBT and now Cory returns to Almost Human). I'm honestly curious as to what has suddenly got them reviewing show's they haven't done for a while?

Side note: Haven't seen the Ep. yet (thought it was off along with most everything else) but knowing it's there will brighten my evening.
Flag
did you ever get an answer?
Edshrinker did a great photo-recap review that I read before this review.
I think you will like this episode;-)
Flag
lol. Never got an answer (from either reviewer). I know of Ed's latest recap and have posted my thoughts there. Saw the episode soon after this post and loved it. Shows this show can combine stand alone with season arc. Hoping FOX airing during the olympics doesn't hurt the ratings enough for cancellation now.
Flag
I really liked this episode as it took new science seriously. I can relete to a future that has elements like that.

Wasn't the location of the school the same location that is used in The mentalist for the Visualize cult?
Flag
I get the sense that Almost Human has embedded layers of characters into the procedural rhythm that it can revisit later. The two most obvious are Detective Stahl and Captain Maldonado. Whatever the order, I'm generally happy that the show has devoted most of its first-season attention to Kennex and Dorian. I don't know how much, if any, episodes have been re-edited to accommodate the re-ordering, but I'm not hugely surprised or disappointed that Stahl as a "chrome" hasn't yet been explored more thoroughly, even though I do really think it colors her professional relationships with some of the other detectives, particularly Paul, in telling ways. It also makes me want to know more about why she joined the police. She is, in many ways, the inverse of the "normals" at the academy, and subject to many of the same prejudices.

I agree that there's a high degree of reckless profligacy in Kennex's actions. He wrecks cars and "kills" MXs probably a little too often. At some point it should be addressed, though it is very common in cop movies if not too many cop TV shows.

I'm enthusiastic about another season, especially if this season ends with a bang. As the reviewer observes, Almost Human keeps its secrets and revelations close to the chest, which is a strategy I REALLY enjoy.
More+
Flag
Who ever decided to air the episodes out of order ruined the show, IMO. It messed up character development and whatever serialized story lines going on. It's disappointing because there is potential. I just can't get invested with the characters when they are bouncing all over the place.
Flag
It's really silly. Why would a network trust the creators with their money to make a good show but then ignore their creative decisions. The people behind this show know a thing or two about doing series...
Flag
Is it just me, or is Minka Kelly always smiling even during inappropriate times? Shits me just a little. Or a lot. Depending on how much air time she gets haha
Flag
She teared up a bit at the end of the episode, but, yeah...she smiles a lot.
Flag
Staff
How is this a problem haha.
Flag
I'm hoping the final 3 episodes are some of the best, in terms of all the setup over the (disjointed) season. It kind of reminds me of Fringe's first season, with case-of-the-week episodes and then big mythology episodes closer to the finale.

I'm getting the same feeling from Agents of SHIELD, which was slow out of the gate but has picked up steam with its most recent episodes.
Flag
The last 3 are in the originally intended order so I'm getting some hopes up.
Flag
Humanites... really! No thank you. Fan is just fine. There is no problem with the car. Almost Human thrashes MXs on a regular basis and no one bats an eye lid. The cost of replacing a basic vehicle in comparison must be negligible. Then again what sort of system has a police with apparently unlimited funds? Comparing Almost Human to Fringe probably not helpful... really you think! Please... l would be more concerned about this show though being very procedural actually having a lot more in common with Continuum than is comfortable. Nice episode overall. I was only surprised Kennex didn't take a look at modifying the design drug to short cut his memory flash more quickly And get his memory back.
Flag
Thank you for vote ups for what probably is a heretical response on my part. I thought more about my comments afterwards and I am currently thinking Almost Human is more like kind of like Firefly. Bear with me here... Kennex, etal are the alliance with their the perfect inner worlds and moons where everyone else is uncivilized for not following the rules, Yes like in 1984, but just more subtle. We are see one perspect. Not all perspectives. Is Dorian a real unexpected mistake like Daneel (Issac Asimov - The Steel Caves, etc) where the android is more human than the humans and leads to a better world...?! Or evolution?
Flag
"I was only surprised Kennex didn't take a look at modifying the design drug to short cut his memory flash more quickly And get his memory back."

Would've been kinda cool to see Dorian show that interest and "help" John with his memory.
Flag
I agree Dorian because he is not human and clearly needs to be more human programmed or not could help in a heart beat or a data burst whatever works!?
Flag
Second Season would be awesome, but I won't get my hopes up just yet.
I think the episode was good - but I'm much more interested in what's going to happen next week, since I've been waiting for something like that since the pilot. ;)
Flag
So so episode to me. Interesting cliffhanger.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members