An Almost Human Community
FOX (ended 2014)

Almost Human S01E01: "Pilot"

Finally! I don't know about you guys, but Almost Human is the one new show I've been excitedly waiting for since the networks announced their new shows last spring. Although it's cool that series like Sleepy HollowThe Tomorrow People, and The Blacklist have ended up being various degrees of fun, from its promos Almost Human seemed to promise the perfect mix of a good idea, a creative team with respectable history, a solid cast, etc. Thankfully, despite some typical pilot-y hiccups, this first episode proved that the excitement was well-founded. Almost Human isn't already the best new series of the season, but it clearly has the potential to grow into it. 

In his preview of the series, Tim praised Almost Human's set design and special effects, and while I was perhaps not as impressed as Tim was, the pilot certainly looked really great. The dark, dingy, and depressing areas of the futuristic Los Angeles nicely contrast with the bright, clean police precinct. Even better, pilot didn't overdo it with the FUTURISTIC stuff. It's 2048—35 years into the future—and there are weird-looking cars, new-fangled technology, and oh yeah synthetic robots, but this first hour didn't really beat us over the head with cool gadgets and nonsensical exposition about said gadgets. Although those kinds of innovations clearly exist in this world, series creator J.H. Wyman seems more interested in slowly revealing them to us and building out the world more methodically; that's an approach I can appreciate.

I actually expected Almost Human to get really bogged down in exposition, and although that did happen in certain moments, most of the problematic stuff was more character-based: Minka Kelly's Valerie describing the value of her skills to Karl Urban's Kennex, Michael Irby's Richard providing a detailed history of the case that almost got Kennex murdered two years prior, Michael Ealy's Dorian telling Kennex what's wrong with him, etc. For whatever reason, the pilot respected the audience's intelligence and decided not to over-explain the existence of robots (the opening title info did plenty), but when it came to establishing his characters, Wyman wasn't as respectful. Great pilots let us see who characters are instead of simply telling us, and even though the characters are all basic types (or less), this pilot didn't do that. Hopefully once the show gets moving and the world is in place, the writers can turn their attention to the people who inhabit it. It's not that Kennex and Dorian aren't interesting, because they definitely are; Almost Human just needs to do a better job of not having people describe themselves and the show's themes so obviously. If we can understand robots, we can understand that Kennex is wracked with guilt and doesn't play well with others.

Those awkward, exposition-filled moments were definitely the worst part of Almost Human's first episode, but let's not dwell too much on the negative. One thing that some viewers—particularly those who recall the last few years of Wyman's last show, a little ditty called Fringe—might take issue with, is the show's clearly procedural story engine. The characters are cops, so it's no surprise that the pilot was built around a very familiar case structure. Wyman, likely eager to make sure those who were turned off by Fringe aren't similarly scared of his new project, has already said that each week will feature an open-and-shut case. But I'll say this: If the pilot is any indication of the kind of stuff Almost Human is going to do every week, I'm fine with it. This episode's story didn't have that much meat on the bones, because much of the focus was on Kennex and Dorian's relationship, but it was enough to hold my interest. The futuristic setting should allow the show to come up with cool gimmicks, like this one's murder box, and if the show keeps the focus on the main pairing, then it's already doing its job. Sure, it might be cool if Almost Human didn't try to appeal to a mass audience with cops and cases and whatever, but hasn't Wyman proven that he can mix procedural stuff with more interesting sci-fi stuff and questions about humanity, existence, etc.? Controversial opinion alert: Some of Fringe's best episodes were driven by an episodic case. Point being, the procedural stuff was a little thin in this opening hour, but I'm not worried. 

I'm not worried because the central relationship between Kennex and Dorian and the larger mysteries were pretty good here. Karl Urban and Michael Ealy are two great performers who could (and in Ealy's case have) topline their own shows, so bringing them together and watching them play off one another is kind of an embarrassment of riches. Urban wasn't asked to do much more than scowl and look suspicious, but the final few minutes of the episode allowed him to open up a little and show what he can do. This was Ealy's hour, though. While he's turned in plenty of great work over the years, he's typically never mentioned in any fantasy casting situations, and he should be. Dorian is meant to represent an in-between species that's neither human nor MX, and Ealy was really, really good in portraying the depth and emotion of a character that could have been severely overplayed. As he showed here, Ealy knows how to bring emotion and pain to his face without strain, a trait that's going to serve him well over the series' duration. Hopefully future episodes won't rely too much on a generic tension between Kennex and Dorian, not only because they have more in common than Kennex might like to admit (and that's obviously the point), but because Urban deserves the opportunity to show off the kind of diverse work he can do, too.

And the Syndicate story? I'm in. It's an easy, familiar set-up with Kennex's former girlfriend being involved, and it seems like they show's going to do Fringe-y stuff when the Syndicate strikes. We've probably all seen this kind of storytelling before, but Wyman is the type of writer I trust to make it work. Let's just hope he doesn't immediately start aping his own work from Fringe; if any bald dudes with weird names show up, we'll be in trouble.

There are definitely still some kinks to work out with Almost Human. The show will need to give the supporting characters more to do and stop relying on exposition-filled monologues to establish characters. But all the elements are here for a really solid, possibly fascinating show. It's nice to be really excited about a new show for once.

NOTES TO BE UPLOADED

– Seriously, Lili Taylor probably deserves better than this, at least if this is what her character is going to be. 

– The MXs sure love getting shot directly in the eye, huh? Decent-looking effect, though.

– Myklon Red, programmable DNA, and robots are all part of this world, but apparently olive oil still solves a number of important problems. The more things change, right?

– Let's hear some early, uneducated theorizing about the Syndicate. They want that spare head in the evidence room, but what for? Shapeshifter, huh?

What'd you think of Almost Human's debut?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/3/2014

Season 1 : Episode 13

180 Comments
Comments (180)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Finally got around to watching the first few episodes in my trial run.

While it looked cool, I didn't have any huge expectations for 'Almost Human' to revolutionize the genre. It's a buddy cop show...'Starsky & Hutch' 50 years later, and it delivered as expected. Great chemistry between the two leads and supporting characters who are there purely to facilitate the stories of those two leads.

Nice to see Lili Taylor back...though it took me a couple episodes to answer the internal asking, "I know that woman, but I can't recall from where". If Lloyd makes a cameo this will instantly become my favouritest show ever.
Flag
One of the better pilots of the season. Has me hooked. I have complete faith in Wyman. Going to resist the Fringe comparisons, cause what made Fringe so great was that there was nothing like it on tv. Let's see if Almost Human can do the same...
Flag
Liked the premiere...is was different...
Dorian i like immediately as he shows feelings and is a smartass...unlike that Chines bot...you keep seeing all over the place...
liked how they started with the past, to show how other cops think about Karl Urban....
I think i will watch the whole season, without being bored...
Flag
Storywise it was interesting but I found the conclusion to be ultimately very pedestrian and a huge let-down from the setup - it isn't smart at all, it's just a shootout over a macguffin after reading some pointless files that the MX series somehow couldn't "piece together" despite it being pretty straightforward. The main characters were likable, but lightweight - I expected more stryfe, more headbutting or philosophy or something, the most compelling character was the underground doctor! And for Dorian to save... uh, mainguy, to save his life like that was super cheeseball. If the actual cases aren't going to be more future-compelling than this, I don't really see what the point will be to this show.

Visually, this show looked like a modern cheapo show. A mix of styles and messages, clear things and a lot of old tablets in fancy dress, CGI falling apart before your eyes, tiny sets and little backlot streets redressed, and even this wonky "warzone" flashback feel that was entirely out of place. The city had no individual voice and the station looked ridiculous. Oh, and "green lasers!" was such a stupid addition, we've seen colored lasers for 20 years now as a basic thing, changing the color to a new wavelength is nothing new, you bought some off-the-shelf green lasers and slapped them on, big deal - first red, then blue, now green, they're all dumb if they're meant to seem like futuretech. And the cheap guns that are aesthetically all wrong, I get that gizmos aren't supposed to be the focus, but don't build something that looks like something from a Super Nintendo game when modern aesthetics are well beyond that.
More+
Flag
This might be the only procedural I'll watch this season...
Flag
It was good; I really enjoyed it - but then Karl Urban is a great actor and I've yet to see him stuff up any role he's had. So I'm in it for the long haul I think.
Flag
It does remind me of a young Fringe initially, minus the seriousness all round. Not bad story lines and definitely watchable. It has good production values and way way ahead of duds like Ravenswood, OUAT in Wonderland or the current bore fest TVD and sometimes, geez, enough standalone, non celestial themed/sans Cast already, Supernatural. Almost Human has the potential to be like the greats like Fringe, but then again, it's not how good a series is these days (just take at Fringe), it how the networks play their "Walls Street" logic cards. Sigh.
Flag
I'd be cool with it if David Robert Jones wants to stop by. Also, Fringe's first season started out mostly episodic and eventually grew the mythology! Are there no plans like that for this show?
Flag
I liked what I saw.
Flag
So far so good. Let's wait for the 4 episodes test for a final decision about the show.
Flag
Controversial opinion alert defense: "White Tulip" / "And Those We've Left Behind". Two of the best episodes of "Fringe", both INCREDIBLY self-contained episodes, just book-ended by character development.
Flag
Holy shit, White Tulip was amazing!
Flag
The lack of futuristic stuff was probably more to do with budget than anything else. Although the cars looked way too current. Just look at the difference between cars today and the ones 30 years ago (1980s). They are similar but there's a noticeable difference.
Flag
First of all I must say amazing show, of course the idea of this show is an old one, but the way they put it is going to work, I did not expect this episode will that great, I hope FOX won't make it bad, this show can be the best this season if they play they cards right, with amazing writers and the acting team, it is going to be amazing... I can not wait to see it every week
Flag
I've only viewed the first episode thus far but I'm I'm optimistic. I enjoyed the overall premise, the setting, and the mood. With J.J. Abrams involved it ought to be a decent enough show.

That said, throughout the show I felt like I was watching an early version of "Blade Runner" meets "Continuum." I half expected Agent Cameron to make a brief appearance.

And I see a show that will be immersed in how technology impacts and is involved with people's lives while answering the question do APs (Artifical Persons)/androids have rights? This was dealt with in "Blade Runner," of course, among others such as Heinlein's 1983 book "Friday."
Flag
I was watching with my boyfriend (I've never seen Blade Runner) and when we got to the scene where they're at the Chinese shop in the rain he asked if it was some sort of Blade Runner reference.
Flag
I think you do have appoint, but they have new way of making a RoboMan show, you have to admit it is different than the other show.. don't you thing so???
Flag
I was honestly surprised at how much I enjoyed this show. I was expecting some watered down snorfest but wow. The production values are good, the actors are decent, the characters and story are interesting, and they actually let the mystery build.

If they can build on this I'll be staying tuned in for sure.
Flag
I had a blast watching this. My only worry is Minka Kelly. She's so pretty, but I'm not sure she's that good an actress. All her lines seem like she's reading a teleprompter.
Flag
Second is the evolution of synthetics. OK, I loved the idea of an old-fashioned cop eventually pairing up and getting along with an old fashioned android. There's a nice, though convenient, symmetry to it.

However, Dorian is clearly more advanced than the newer models. All right, he has glitches we're going to learn about sooner or later, and they will most likely put John's life in jeopardy. But Dorian is intuitive and related with humans well. He might not be perfected (again, glitches), but perhaps that would make him unreliable for cop work in the line of fire, but Dorian would be invaluable for hundreds of other functions, with superior results than one of those annoying "rules spitters".

Another thing is that mechanisms are created to serve people. And equipment is made to be used by highly trained police officers, not the other way around. The police command counts on the officers experience, intuition and judgment as when to strictly follow a rule, bend it or even break it as a last resort. So one machine that mechanically analyzes situations and threatens to report every single and minor infraction would be counter-productive.

All right, it's a different society, I get it. Crime is rampant, cops are corrupt and need constant watching, I guess. And that seems to be a priority over good and effective police work. Soooo, they'll have to explain that much better for it to be believable. They did it beautifully in the old Robocop movies, with the way the OCP was run. In that context this kind of thing made perfect sense.

On the other hand, if there's a shred of democracy in this future world, no matter how tough on crime and cops the law has to be, cops wouldn't accept working with those annoying snitches, and the police union would strongly and effectively act against their use.

So partnering with a synthetic is "mandatory"? Says who? The Mayor? The Congress? Cyborg the Conqueror? Again, I hope they flesh out the political context in which such rules become possible. Just for example, in Continuum, there are dictatorial rules in place, and seeing the political background unravel has been one of the high points of the show.
More+
Flag
The pilot was intriguing enough on its own and the cast is amazing, but the show needs to reduce the amount of "routine" exposition. However, aside from that one flaw, it has the potential to become one of the best new series in recent memory, given the dynamics and chemistry between the main characters, the captivating universe in which the series operates, and the proven writing quality with regard to Fringe.

Anyway, calling it now: Kennex is an MX (I couldn't help but notice the name "Kennex" is phonetically similar to "MX," which I cannot imagine being a coincidence), or he's a type of "hybrid" human-robot model (perhaps akin to Dorian, but a different side of the same coin). Maldonado quoted a psychiatrist who concluded that among his many health issues, Kennex was also suffering from "psychological rejection of his synthetic body parts."

The reason that I found that striking was because, in hindsight, the general theme of the pilot (and the series, going forward) seems to be that Kennex was denying a part of himself (Dorian even called out Kennex while psychoanalyzing him for not "knowing himself") and used the defeat he experienced during the pre-comatose mission against Insyndicate to justify his apparently irrational, yet adamant contempt for all MXs.

I can't shake the sense of a "self-projection" motif being at work. In other words, I'm thinking Kennex probably blamed/blames himself, deep down, for what transpired on that day, making the "psychological rejection" condition indicative of a possible yearning to regain his full humanity. After all, it was said that Kennex was in a coma for seventeen months, so anything could have theoretically happened to him during that period.

If I didn't know any better about this show and judged the characters solely upon their emotional expressions and behavior, I'd say Dorian was the human and Kennex was the robot. That's just my opinion, however.
More+
Flag
Kennex is technically a cyborg now, right?

Is the setting really Los Angeles? The screen shots of the future city looked more Manhattan (as in an island) than LA. Will we perhaps hear about the geological catastrophe that caused this or was this not necessarily meant to be a shot of 2048 LA?

Is the year 2048 or is it 2048 + the 17 months Kennex was in a coma?

I always get so hung up on the details...
Flag
Yes it is supposed to be LA, but I had the same thoughts, especially during the night shot of the skyline. It looks "islandish".
Flag
OK, I loved the show and want it renewed, like, NOW! It has robots! What's not to like? I heart robots, just like kids these days like vampires and diaries.

I loved almost everything, so it's easier to point out the things I didn't. Just a few glitches in the machine then. First the "total recall" thing. So, John erases his girlfriend's message because he remembered seeing her in the site of a crime with a mean face and in a riot gear or something. Yeah, because memories are soooo reliable, right?

To me that doesn't ring as true. I know we're dealing with an unknown/imaginary technology, but humans, unless they have microchip implants in their brains, don't have 100% accurate memories of, well, just about anything. Everything is subjected to interpretation and can be affected by some bias or another.

So you swear your uncle took you to a baseball game when you were eight? Wrong! It was your cousin, and it was a basketball game, and you were seven. But you went to a baseball game with friends two years later and you've mixed both memories. This is what is called an amalgamated memory, I think.

Most probably John was under deep stress with the shock and was unconsciously thinking of his girlfriend. As he saw one of his assailants was an African-American woman of similar built, he simply merged them together.

That would be more reasonable to consider. But since it's a sci-fi/cop procedural story, of course she is a femme fatale and was totally involved with a dozen crimes.

The bottom line is that when the hero has to remember a crime scene and then undergoes hypnosis or gets hooked to a machine and retrieves some key evidence is a gimmick I've seen too many times.
More+
Flag
I know now not to ask Karl Urban too many questions in a moving car
Flag
Or just put on your seatbelt.
Flag
What if he has an eject seat button?
Flag
One word for this show: COOL!
Flag
I'm all in.
Flag
For all the new shows that came out this season, this is definitely the one for me. I fell in love in with it instantly, and it did remind me of I, robot. I was however expecting for Dorian, the android, to act more android but that wasn't enough to sway me away and besides he is supposed to be different, more human than the others. There're so many possibilities they can explore with him when i think about it. As with John, his story is generic as a few others already pointed out but his personality carries well within the show.

It doesn't matter to me that they don't have flying cars (it seems like it is for a few people) . I think they portrayed that future world quite well. You also get the feeling of fringe from it, especially when they got to season 4.
Flag
It felt awfully generic. "Call me John" at the end was just plain embarassing.
Flag
I watched the pilot just to give the show a try and was pleasantly surprised. Now it's one of my new favorites this season. Paired with Sleepy Hollow it will make a great Monday night. (Also Blacklist and Castle.)

I've loved Karl Urban since I first saw him in Doom. (Actually he's pretty much the only thing I liked about that movie.)
Flag
Another scene that made me laugh, but in a good, non-mocking, way. In this scene, Detective Kennex says:

Which got me thinking. Which robot was he referring to? Andrew "Bicentennial Man" Martin?

Flag
Really liked this first one, and I'm curious about how it'll develop.
I was surprised to see Kennex adapt so fast to his new partner, I thought it would take a couple of episodes for him to get friendly. But now they're already on a first-name basis!
Now I hope the show will neither fall into some regular buddy-movie- or police-procedural-routine nor come up with too far-out storyline...
Flag
I'll never get sick of seeing Karl Urban looking pissed, ever since he was the sweeper (but don't ask him why they call him that). This gratified my cop buddy movie needs short of arguing over dashboard controls, you had dislike and intolerance going into a fast high pressure scenario with everything and everyone on the line and the capable finish with grudging respect and the "beginning of beautiful friendship" (Casablanca style).

The big bad had every cop ducking his bullets or getting a face full of anti-vaccine and when Dorian unflinchingly faces down both to take him out... I wanted no other partner for Kennex. I'll be watching this big time, Chief has all the angles and is keeping some things from Kennex. Female detective has already explained her special skill set so no scratching my head in later episodes. Yeah I think it's Insyndicate maybe a unique group of organised crime as opposed to the more generic kinds that weren't involved in the DNA and Soylent Red heist.

My orifices would tighten up if getting questioned by a cop in a shady part of future Los Angeles, more if it's a motorcycle cop dressed all in black and then if it's a synthetic android with dead eyes motorcycle cop my paranoia has just spiked into the red. Even without that earlier survival math the android cops shared with Kennex and his wounded partner they hit that Uncanny Valley skin crawling line in the sand from the get go. Definitely watching more of this.
More+
Flag
The pilot was good. One of the best new show. I am excited too. 2048 is a good time to set such a story and lots of cool gadget. The show certainly reminds me of blade runner in a visual way.

The best performer tonight is Ealy. I have not seen much of the other guy Urban but he seems okay.

However many series stars with a great pilot and gets boring after a few especially if it is going to be yet another cop procedural ! I do hope they keep things interesting that will make me NOT feel it is the same thing every week.
Flag
This was really the only thing I wanted to watch this Fall, and I am SO HAPPY the pilot didn't disappoint. To be fair, though, I don't think you could ever go wrong with Karl Urban + Michael Ealy on the same show.
I'm still really upset Common Law was cancelled, but this makes up for it!
Flag
The head in the box obviously belongs to the female android body they were tinkering with.
As Dorian is the only other human-looking android we've met, I'm gonna go out on a limb and theorize that she's another DRN type, probably one who "broke", as the robo-doc called it, and went darkside.

The Syndicate, with their barcode tattoos, may be some sort of techno-cult who believe that some sort of midway point between humans and 'droids is the pinnacle of evolution.
She's their saint, or Messiah, or Eve, or Joan of Arc. :D
Flag
Yeah, I agree with you on the head-theory.
Flag
I liked the show. I was ready to see the 2nd episode immediately, but I guess I'll have to wait.

It will be interesting to see if they can take up the philosophy behind what makes someone human, or what is a 'soul'. If this new model falls out of the car and gets trashed, would anyone mourn?

I am surprised that people are still driving their cars after 35 years. Given the technological advances going on now, in 35 years, the car should just be one big computer. But that wasn't enough to ruin the pilot.

As for sending off the last bad guy, it seemed like they just had 2 guys guarding him. This is after the previous bad guy they had hold of resulted in 2 dead cops and 4 dead androids. I guess I would have put a battalion around this guy.
Flag
Lili Taylor is awesome...although i hate her & the conjuring for giving me the heebeegeebees for a few nights after watching.
Flag
Also: please stop calling the androids 'robots', ok? ;-)
Flag
They were fixing the body, but I guess whoever beheaded that android didn't think they'd come back for the head. Probably one of those closely designed like humans (in regards of emotions/intuition/soul-having) and maybe Syndicate's leader.
Flag
Let's see after the 4 episode test..
Flag
I agree. I like the BLADE RUNNER feel.
Flag
What a great looking show! The production designers are working overtime on this one. Somebody else mentioned it below but I couldn't help but think of Blade Runner while watching the pilot. So when Kennex and Dorian were sitting at the noodle counter, I got a little misty.

Film and television have proven time and again that it doesn't matter what time period we're in, there's always going to be good guys and bad guys. I look forward to seeing how the weekly cases play out. And I'm looking forward to the visual stimulation. Also, like someone else mentioned below, my Monday night dance card is full. Thank God, Castle airs on Sunday night up here in the Great White North.

Was that Paula Patton's head in the evidence thingy?
Flag
Almost Human and Agents of Shield were my most anticipated shows this year.

Almost Human has delivered a slick and interesting pilot. I have high hopes this will turn into a fantastic Sci-Fi show.

Dorian's acting was a little wooden for my taste, that said the cast were great.
Flag
But he is playing an android! Next you're going to say his acting was too "mechanical"?
Flag
Yes!

(can't have anything more sarcastic then italics on this site)

Compared to other androids I've seen on screen he seems a bit off, but that's just my opinion and not a sarcastic one....
Flag
Well, i think I get your point. But It mustn't be easy to play an android because that's been done to death. In the past they used to be robotic, then came the emotional ones, and now there's nothing new under the sun. Just off the top of my head, I thought of REM, from Logan's Run from the 1970s, an android that told jokes and was completely relatable. So the idea is not new for sure.

Is there an acting performance of an android you like? Maybe Lt. Commander Data? (That came out confusing, but it's late and i'm tired. Besides, Data was an actor sometimes... Wow, that's so meta!)
Flag
It just feels that because Dorian is meant to be close to Human he should be a bit looser in conveying on what he thinks is emotion as he is built to do it (if that makes sense)

Data is a great example of an Android trying to figure out Humans and emotions (a little more out there Spock [not an android but he would be the same as Data in terms of understanding emotions])
Flag
Karl Urban!
That's probably going to be my comment every week. I L O V E that man!
Flag
That was a very sharp pilot. It had everything that is needed from an introductory episode. Sure, some glitches, but very few. Overall a very entertaining one hour.

My wish list to Santa:
- I want an episode in which Olivia (Anna Torv) and Peter (Joshua Jackson) run by in the background chasing an Observer; or
- Anna Torv turning out to be the head of the Syndicate
- Airships

The answer to your question: Yes, I'm still in mourning.
Flag
A slightly older Olivia and Peter with the Observer child Michael and Walter on holiday all looking totally touristy in the background of a shot on Hollywood Blvd or the Santa Monica Pier, all uncredited, to blow up the interwebs, and our minds or course.
Flag
This is how I imagine Walter on a holiday:
(You can bet there's a lot of drugs in that margarita. And the glasses are probably balancing out the effects of the LSD.)

Flag
You got me agian, I had to go back. Desparation and hope, should have been an Emmy just for this scene.

Flag
You are not alone :(

And reading J.H Wyman and J.J. Abrams just set me into Fringe mode :) which kept going throughout because to me the "feel" of the show was very similar.
Flag
I feel your pain.
Flag
loved the Almost Human pilot, can't wait to watch more. have high hopes for the show, hopefully fox wont kill this show like firefly and futurama. Also love the fact that it takes place in the near future, i like to imagine myself running around in that world in my 60s shopping for fembot parts haha!
Flag
In the space of one episode they've turned this into a buddy movie with nowhere much to go. Ooh the evil syndicate. Ooh there's synthetic 'people' and not so synthetic people that are robots - which only one tired and beat detective seems to care about. Even Descartes would be going meh at the scope it's left with. Yeah it's early days, but no one appears to give a damn about synthetics, robots or whatever's floating about. I expect the usual, they're taking our jobs, holding us back stuff to appear but will I care? I doubt it. In a way it's ass about face, in that it's started too far in to have ever got a back story to drive from. It's as if the viewer is supposed to know and/or have been the back story and just accept this future idea.
And let's face it, it's on too early and from Fox to ever have any real bite. Sure much of, say, Blade Runners' content and air of the possible sinister nature of a corporate, criminal or self-serving mankind could fit into an evening show like this, but I am definitely not seeing that ever appear in the writing skill set here. It's going to be more cops and robbers style writing without any real gravitas. I was shown Blade Runner at university as part of a philosophy course. I sincerely doubt this will ever get aired outside of mediocre tvland.
A waste of a pair of leads who could do, and have done, far better elsewhere.
More+
Flag
I don't know... you could've said the same thing about Fringe going in... looks to be episodic criminal procedurals, with heavy sci-fi elements, and some weird group working in the background. Yet Fringe worked out quite well for the most part... event before they decided to practically reboot the show a couple times for variety.

So... there's room for this to grow. Weird futuristic / sci-fi crimes they need to solve, with a group working in the background against them with low morals and high tech.
Flag
Maybe. But Fringe was a rather different onion and I can see myself re watching it over the years. I've now seen ep 2 of AH and it was an improvement though still not different enough to warrant the cerebral thrill that Fringe gave. The obvious advantage Fringe had was not only great writing and acting but that it tried to be abnormal, if you will, on many levels. Whereas AH is much more mainstream and so is likely to hit good but not great or exceptional. Good is ok though for general fun.
Flag
I really, really enjoyed the pilot. I didn't mind the exposition and everything looked really good, whether it was the city of LA or just the shots. It looked cinematic and I guess FOX is confident this show is going to work. Urban and Ealy were both amazing. I cannot wait for the next episode.
Flag
I'm going to go on record and say I think John's ex-girlfriend was a synthetic.
Flag
Staff
Apparently in the original pilot, it was hinted that his FATHER was a synthetic. Which is just nutty.
Flag
LOL, I could see that as kind of neat. He finds out that he never knew his real biological father, and that his mom was just "with" one of these emotional models. Considering how Michael Ealy depicts the unit... I could easily see a kid not noticing the he's an android so long as the father-unit never initiated his face LED/tattoo thing in front of his kid.

I mean... so many kinds think of their parents as strange anyway... what's a few emotional quirks?
Flag
How many Blade Runner references an we have?
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Next episode, Dorian finds God. Would that be the beginning of the Cylon revolt?

Flag
It's just that to me Michael Ealy will always be the heroic but deeply misfortuned Muslim FBI agent from Sleeper Cell.
Flag
Silly joke, but I had to tell it anyway. When I first saw those futuristic buildings and that the first name in the credits was that of Karl URBAN, I thought maybe this could be a dramedy about a streetwise urban cop and a naïve rural robot.

Flag
Staff
HA.
Flag
Wasn't it "Insyndicate?" I kept hearing an "in" at the beginning... Anyway, I'm already completely addicted to this show. I'm biased, because I could watch anything Karl Urban, Michael Ealy, and Michael Irby are in, but still - I didn't even think the exposition was that bad! I'm a very happy fangirl.
Flag
The CC showed Insyndicate as well
Flag
Staff
THANK YOU. I kept hearing something weird too, especially when Taylor was saying it. Someone who was watching it with me said it was just Syndicate though. Hopefully it'll be clearer in tonight's episode.
Flag
Closed captioning showed it as Insyndicate.
Flag
Yes, I kept hearing "Insyndicate", not "Syndicate" throughout the show; I think it's like a name or title actually: The Insyndicate.
Flag
Yes, I was sure Taylor was saying that. I was thinking "Insyndicate" was the name of the organisation or er... syndicate. Now I don't know...

Anyway, I thought the pilot was solid enough. I did think the lead character haunted by an ex and replaying a message has been used a lot before. Other than that enjoyable enough, not outstanding
Flag
it was definitely pronounced "Insyndicate" People will get the hang of the sound of it in their ears soon enough & stop hearing it wrong
Flag
Very interesting futuristic world, it felt to me very much like the futures of Blade Runner, The Fifth Element, etc..

My only concern, however, to stay with the futuristic sci-fi movie theme, is that Karl Urban really seemed to be channeling his Dredd performance here at times. We've seen in the Star Trek series that he is capable of being a little more funny and endearing than that, and I hope his Kennex gets that opportunity.
Flag
"I downloaded the data he should have it now." after UPLOADING a file. The editor needs to do his job a bit better.
Flag
Mostly right... unless he was talking about downloading the data from his "skin tester device" or whatever to his brain... and thus anything on their brain is just automatically pushed to some future cloud that the HQ can access

But yeh... otherwise it should be "I uploaded the data to HQ, they should have it now"
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:30 pm
    Judge Judy
    NEW
    CBS
  • 9:00 pm
    What Would You Do?