We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

An Almost Human Community
FOX (ended 2014)
I've really enjoyed the last few episodes of Almost Human. It's definitely rising on my list of favorite shows. As with the last couple episodes Michael Ealy has been phenomenal. It was fun watching Dorian's 'low battery' mood swings. It was interesting to begin to see a little hint at Detective Paul's contempt towards the MX's and growing envy of Dorian and Kennex. I'm still waiting to see more about Detective Stahl.

Favorite Dorian moment: Pretty much any. Slugging Det. Paul for denying him charge priority was a great low moment and the post save briefing rally cry, "You heard Sandra, rollout!!"

Favorite Kennex moment: Kennex reliving his high school glory days, "They used to call me the 'White Cheetah' ... rraawwrr... cheetah, cheetah"

What is your take on the latest episode of Almost Human and the how its developing? Do you still need more or are you sold?
Comments (59)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
You would think that after 35 years there would be better batteries.
Flag
Love it. The chemistry between Kennex and Dorian is great and everything Valerie says is sexy in her voice, lol.
Flag
Ah I gotta tell ya I'm hooked on this show. But the strangest thing happened when I was watching it was a show from years ago which was "The Odd Couple" I know they have nothing in common but that's what the show reminds me of Ealy and Urban are well matched. I do look forward to seeing this every week. I just hope that they don't mess this up (writers and the network) whatever there doing keep doing it.
Flag
I'm sold. The past couple of episodes have really stepped up and turned this into a fun show. The most interesting thing about this episode is we begin to really see some of the flaws of the DRN units. Low power = mood swings, almost like a person with low blood sugar or lack of sleep. Still, it was totally hilarious. Also, we see the dedication of the DRN units, with almost no power, he still subdues the perp. Meanwhile Kennex continues on his fun ways. His white cheetah comments were very funny. I'd love to see an episode where these two drive around and don't get out of the car. The dynamic they have when driving is awesome. I look forward to more episodes and seeing this show develop!
Flag
Agreed. Whatever happens with this show. I would watch Ealy and Urban in a car for an hour.
Flag
I am sold on Almost Human. I think the show is coming along nicely and gets more interesting as we get to know the characters better. I am a bit tired of procedural crime shows, but this one is different enough that it doesn't bother me. The characters have to have something to do, so they might as well be solving crimes, lol.
Flag
Almost Human's good enough for now. It reminds me of how Fringe started out - it too mostly started with the case of the week and vague mentions of the 'pattern' before fleshing out the arcs. If for nothing else I'm watching for Dorian, who is easily one of the most intriguing characters amongst all the new shows from fall 2013, and Michael Ealy is killing it every week being 'almost human'.

My favourite Dorian moment was when he, Kennex and Jeannie Hartman were hugging it out after disarming her bomb and he went "Your hair is so soft!" Lol.

I want to like Valerie Stahl, but for a cop, she (or is it Minka's delivery of her lines? I can't tell) is just so... languid even when delivering grim news. Its difficult to take the character seriously.
Flag
Everyone in America either wants "Amost Human" to be like" Fringe" from the get go or is bored the with the Procedural elements of the show, am being very patient with the show & am enjoying what is has to affer right this moment, i dont want to enjoy something that is not presented yet , that will only shadow how much the show is great at this very moment, so please dear members & audience just enjoy the show right now & if it goes well will enjoy it , & if not we will enjoy what is offered t us.
Flag
I suspect that Almost Human, even if it survives, will ultimately be less serialized than Fringe was in middle and later seasons, but I also think that people forget just how procedural Fringe was early in its run. I think Almost Human is succeeding more than not right now and I—like you—am perfectly willing to enjoy the ride while the mythology builds. (I'm particularly interested to see how they elaborate the earlier failure of the DRNs.)
Flag
Completely agree that the subplot about low power was the best part of the episode. Also really liked the last 2 minutes.

But I thought the case of the week was TIRED. I've seen that story in many other procedurals. Agents of Shield did a more interesting version of the people-attached-to-bombs-following-instructions story. And Continuum did a better version of the people-online-cheer-for-gruesome-explosions story.

I want them to give us stories we haven't heard before. Take advantage of the show's sci-fi DNA to tell stories that wouldn't work without truly futuristic technology. (Like the clone episode!)
Flag
I was sold back in the pilot. J.H. Wyman said in an interview on IGN.com that he was shying away from a more serialized Big Bad like Fringe had, which is fine by me if they keep putting out excellent episodes like this one. My favorite Dorian moment was definitely when he slugged the detective and then said, "We're cool, right? Tell me we're cool, man!" My favorite Kennex moment was when he (kind of) gave Dorian what he wanted: a charge station at Rudy's place. (Dorian's reaction "Not what I had in mind, John" and Kennex's pretending to not hear him was a great way to cap an excellent episode).
Flag
I guess we now now know the DRN equivalent of missing your morning coffee.

The cheetah thing was funny. I hope Kennex doesn't go all "Al Bundy" on us, though.

When that dude was vaporized in that shield gizmo. Yuck!

I will continue to watch.
Flag
I fondly remember all the touchdowns moments Al had. he indeed mentioned them many times but they all seemed allright to me. They used them in the best way in the episode when Kelly was in a quiz and had as the final question 'who scored four touchdowns for Polk High' and she couldn't remember the only thing she knew before because learning so much new facts for the quiz, this piece of original knowledge had been wiped from her memory. I loved that series, still watch re-runs very regularly.
Flag
One of my favourite episodes of Married... was the one where Kelly got to be the weather girl at the TV station and she said, "In the greater Chick-a-go area..." and the floor director says, "That's Chicago, you moron." Classic!
Flag
I watch it, but I don't love it.

Was anyone else bothered by the final battery drain? What was that, about 1% every 30 to 60 seconds? So, a 100% charge gives Dorian about 1 to 2 hours? Come on.
Flag
Well, that last 10% charge on your cellphone goes pretty quickly, doesn't it? Also, he was climbing a building and then tased a guy, which certainly uses more power than walking and talking.
Flag
Yeah, I was thinking more like the last quarter of a tank on my gas gauge, which just plummets.
Flag
Well, I don't want to compare my sci fi shows to my cell phone. I would expect their power system to be a bit better than that.

And, he didn't taze until the end. He was losing 1% a minute during the climb, which is just silly.
Flag
I love the show so far. Im loving the concept and the humor. I love Dorian and Kennex's character. There teamwork together is amazing. I especially love Rudy (hence the username and profile picture), his nerdy excited moments just make me love him more. I loved when Dorian punched Detective Paul. I now have a gif of it. I also love the Kennex mentioned the Donut machine was fully functional but they were out of chocolate sprinkles. Im looking forward for the rest of the show!!
Flag
I was happy to see Mackenzie Crook in this series. This show has such an amazing cast. You don't often get casts like this on TV.
Flag
I just caught up. I didn't realize I had missed 3-4 episodes! Boo for being a grown-up, it seriously conflicts with my TV watching.

The crimes on this show aren't the best. You pretty much know who and why such and such crime has occurred several scenes before the characters catch a clue, but that might just be because there have been 50-11 police procedurals on the air since the dawn of time and they haven't really ventured into to new territory, just added new tech. I'm ready for some grander, world changing crimes or an android civil rights fight. I want to know what the larger world looks like outside of murder cases. People killing people for slights, greed, and jealously is old hat.

I love Dorian and John though. And precious Rudy, the only character I believe needs a significant other ASAP. The Capt. seems promising. Dect. Paul getting punched in the face and then warming to Dorian, lol, is good too. Dect. Stahl...what's your function? I'm holding out for her pivotal character moment, but right now I'm annoyed. Even in the future, they add female characters for the sole purpose of being the hero's jump off. Ugh.
More+
Flag
This latest episode is one of my favorite. I was expecting it to go downhill after a while but 7 episode in and it has not really drop a lot. We still see some pretty cool high tech stuff.

Guy/Girl caught with a bomb on has been done to death in movies and on TV but they still make it kind of cool and exciting in this episode.

And as many mentioned, the 2 leads are funny and good together !
Flag
It was cool that at least the first victim exploded and they weren't able to rescue him. With the second victim they made the usual movie/tv issue that they only had two or three seconds left. The coolest one ever was in the movie Goldfinger where Bond stopped the bomb at exactly 007 seconds before detonation :-).
Flag
Yeah, it's funny they did it to a Battlestar Galactica alum because James Callis (Gaius Baltar on Battlestar Galactica) played a guy named The Dodger on Arrow who puts bombs around people's necks. Kinda interesting symmetry.
Flag
I was excited to see Alessandro Juliani (Ramon, the first bomb victim), the guy can do the hopeless horrible death scene better than anybody. It was tense scene at his end. It was a little cliched but I thought they weaved it well with the characters. It was nice that Kennex wasn't completely saved by Dorian. It was a team effort thing. It was Dorian against the bomber and Kennex against the bomb. They both had to win to keep Kennex alive.
Flag
Yeah, Kennex shows he's not just a brooding smartmouth cop. He's smart (used face changer in hostage episode, now disarms a bomb after Rudy talked Dorian through a similar bomb).
Flag
Still not a very good show. The premise was so promising, shame about the poor execution. Oh yes and Minka Kelly is the worst non-actress on television. She's basically playing herself and she can't even get that right.
Flag
i thought it was a funny ep. i'm tired of the monster of the week type thing. i guess it's ok, but they need a better overarching storyline. Intelligence pilot has the same sort of thing with the wife/gf being/turning bad. weird.
Flag
Yeah they haven't really gone back to the pilots "syndicate" thread. They do need to start laying out some myth threads. I'm with you there.
Flag
Episode 102 shows Maldonado tracking down Insyndicate. We'll be seeing that episode next, I think.
Flag
Super Tired TV Trope: Manpain.

Quickest and dullest way to achieve it: Eff with his woe'man ("You killed her!" "She was a double-agent!") or kill his entire family.
Flag
Interesting premise.. Horrible execution
Flag
I really liked the episode and will keep watching. The strongest part was the interaction between the two main characters.

The sci-fi elements were, although looking nice, a bit not that much sci-fi at all. The bombs, video equipment, the dark side of the internet, bitcoin etc., they all exist. The 3-D printed flowers might be a new thing, although I do assume they're not real flowers as that would make the florist some kind of deity.
Flag
I think that Almost Human has been pulling off the "near" future aspects pretty well. We look 50 years into the past and its amazing how how things have changed yet some things are still very recognizable. The drones, bitcoin, darknet, all still very recognizable. However the androids, force fields, mask tech from a few episodes back don't take huge suspension of disbelief but are sci-fi enough to separate the world of the now from the world of Kennex and Dorian.

A smart phone to someone in the 1960's would be futuristic but recognizable. A smart phone to someone in the 1860's would be nearly, if not completely magical. They have found a good balance I think. Fertile ground for big scope, big sci-fi ideas.
Flag
It is often said (and I support it) that magic is only technology we do not understand yet. I was merely trying to compare the sci-fi ideas they used this episode to the ideas they used in the previous episodes. They looked a bit more advanced as you also mention.

Technology development/evolution isn't a straight line any more, the speed is getting bigger and bigger. It's like Moore's law and looks like

If only the writers/producers could think along those lines, but I know/understand that is impossible. It would turn into a magic show.

I think it was Discovery Channel that had shows on how much of the technology in the original Start trek series had already become real. It was more then one could have imagined in the sixties.
Flag
True, one would have thought that in 34 years the internet and all such might have developed past bitcoins and darknet. I wonder if they get advertising money for their use of bitcoins - I suspect the "darknet" doesn't really have a pr-department :D

I am glad that they didn't use water cannisters for the disarming mechanism. :P
Flag
Hey, that was an awesome scene in Die Hard! I would pay another ten bucks to see Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson yell at each other for another two hours.
Flag
I mean, Die Hard: With a Vengeance
Flag
This episode was so good how funny was Dorian I loved it. I always love johns scenes. More of this show please it's great
Flag
This episode was awesome....Dorrian was super funny !!
Greatly done with the bombing and how Kennex got stuck with a bom too...
Loving this series more and more...!!!
Flag
There is room for improvement, but I am definitely enjoying it.
Flag
really enjoying it but not completely sold. I think the show can do even better there is great potential
Flag
So far its oscillated between being big idea humanity analysis and a procedural. I agree it has a lot of potential but I'm finding more and more that I'm getting invested in the characters. That investment will make the mythology and the big ideas more powerful in the long run.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members