An Almost Human Community
FOX (ended 2014)
As a middle of the season episode, “Straw Man” was outstanding. Cool mystery, interesting backstory with John’s detective dad, and a clever twist on the old copycat serial killer theme. But the point is, this is our season finale. I am now convinced beyond a doubt JH Wyman was certain he was getting an order for a back 9. “Straw Man” was the perfect midseason finale. It amplified some of the running story arcs while introducing another (Cyborgs) and had that nice little happy bow on top that said, “Ok now – HERE WE GO” as we march into the heart of the show’s story. While once again The Wall was brought into play, we never really see what’s on the other side. Where’s Nigel and his fleet of DRNs? What of the Chromes getting creepier and creepier? As a matter of fact (and I will try to find the link to the interview) Michael Ealy actually promised a story where Dorian experienced the troubles that caused to the line’s decommission – an emotional breakdown. Do you suppose he was privy to a script that was not yet filmed? I realize he had some fun, goofy moments when he was low power – but that is not what he was talking about.

I am not going to beat Almost Human up for what it is not. A part of me is very happy they did not rush to a finish and try to answer every question with the fear of cancellation. “Straw Man” was a very nifty episode that lifted my expectations even higher as to what it could become. The question is: “Will we ever get to see the story JH Wyman had in mind in a second season?

On to our Season One Finale!

We open with a crowd of folks in a homeless shelter, mulling around wonderful future machines like this one:

Unfortunately it just dispenses nutritional supplements based on a little finger prick and analysis of the blood. Also quite unfortunate that serial killers in wheelchairs are mulling about and being all nice and everything.

Nice use of the old “oops, you must have pricked your hand on my ring” routine. On a night on the town that is my absolute favorite!

Ok – this is just here, because.

Am I missing a pop culture reference here? Should I have used that new-fangled interwebs and Gargled it or whatever? Jeebus, don’t judge me, this isn’t the 2040s!

Members of the PoPo are being questioned in a performance review for Dorian. Everyone has good things to say, though unfortunately Rudy is always, well, Rudy. He says something about having a child with Dorian. Or something. It’s hard to keep track of where Rudy goes with most of what he says. That is why…

Amazing it is still not allowable to edit and create video clips of current shows, but since one was provided by TPTB and considering this may be the funniest car exchange yet…ENJOY!

Kennex and Dorian are called to the scene of a dead teen, more specifically the cute young girl our faux handicapped fellow abducted.

As was the M.O. of a serial killer from 10 years ago, the body is cleaned out of all internal organs and stuffed with straw. Hence – The Straw Man, Michael Costa.

The problem is, he spent the last decade in “The Cubes”. And as John hints at to Dorian, it is also the biggest arrest in his father’s career.

Back at the station, Kennex is having absolutely zero luck accessing his father’s case files.

Frustrating as that is, Maldonado has a plan of attack for the team and the recently returned Det. Richard Paul.

With all the looks of conspiracy in the first 10 minutes…I couldn’t help it from going through my head…

But instead. Maldonado assures Kennex she will get him access to his dad’s files. But first – off to The Cubes to see Mr. Straw Man.

I just love force fields!

In the first 5 seconds, I was absolutely certain Mr. Costa was not the guy. And not only not responsible for the current deaths – but probably innocent of all of them.

Of course my criminal profiling has been polished by repeated viewings of Criminal Minds and so I can speak with some authority here. But I was not wrong. Apparently Eddie Kennex had the same line of thinking because shortly before his demise, he told Costa he had a lead in proving his innocence. Which makes John more than a little curious.

Neat bit of tech – Costa gets his psychotropic drugs for his paranoid schizophrenia through something called an “E-Shunt”. Like an E-Cig I guess but with a better drug.

Back to creep alert…

…smiley has his eyes set on another young girl. The body count is about to rise.

Minka Kelly interlude.

And at this point, my doubts began to fade as Maldonado gets Kennex access to all of his dad’s case files that were classified.

Over in the lab, it is clear Rudy isn’t capable of casually lying about anything, so he kind of has to fess up he may have said a few things that led to Dorian being asked to come back for a second interview.

Kennex begins a review of his dad’s work on “The Straw Man”. Among other things, the incisions were made with expert precision. Although Costa was found unconscious with the victim’s DNA all over him, Edward was convinced he may have put away the wrong man.

An interesting detail pops out, in that Eddie Kennex circled all the feet of the victims.

Dorian calls him to the lab, where Rudy has an interesting theory.

What if the bodies weren’t really the bodies? Could the victims possibly be copies of the missing homeless folks? So little forensic evidence was present on any of the victims – hardly the type of person who lived the lifestyle of someone on the streets. Rudy’s dead end was the fact that these bodies are showing up only days after they go missing. Way too little time for cloning.

Kennex tells Rudy and Dorian about the odd notation his dad had on the images; circling the feet of the victims.

Once upon a time, years before they perfected the technology, Organic Printers ™ had an interesting flaw: they printed from the bottom up causing a flattening of the bottom surface where it rested. This victim, and probably all the others, had flat feet.

Pulling out his old organic printer (and throwing in some cupcake batter), Rudy prints out a delicious cupcake to demonstrate.

These victims might still be out there. And alive.

-To prove the point, we move to the young lady that was most recently abducted…

…as she watches her copy being printed.

A modified organic printer would be able to create perfect copies on the bodies, sans the organs which would require too much detail to fool a Medical Examiner. Hence the M.O. of the Straw Man killer – he stuffed the copies with straw. The cops just assumes he was a very creative psychopath. As Kennex explained – drones would be everywhere looking for someone that is missing… but if it is a homicide, no one would still be searching.

And right on cue – another “body” turns up.

Dorian recognizes the same finger prick on this young girl as on the one in Rudy’s lab.

Kennex connects the dots – these victims are giving a blood sample for their nutritional supplements at the homeless shelters.

The stakeout begins. The strategy is to deploy MXs at the majority of shelters to drive the killer to the one shelter where they have Dick on the ground (LOL). Stealth Dick goes rough and homeless to try to blend in and maybe catch the guy in the act. And then something fascinating happens…

After the requisite “Your Mother Jokes ©” Det. Paul gives a nice chunk of change (on a Bit Coin stick – cool) to a homeless young man so he has a warm place to spend the night. And he is extremely grateful. Unfortunately that little extra screen time makes you a target.

Meanwhile Dorian is driving Kennex insane singing as they remain parked on the stakeout.

Dorian is curious at John’s finding and feelings after looking over his old case. Rumor had it Eddie Kennex was selling robotic parts on the black market and it was a black mark that followed him into death. John tells Dorian a nice story about his dad, adamant his father was a good cop.

Incidentally – I really want to know what a “scatter gun” is.

The quantity of MXs is having its intended effect at a shelter…

…frustrating Wheels McCreepy and chasing him to the shelter Paul is staking out. Unfortunately for his new friend, however.

Paul radios in the escaping van and the boys are on the trail.

They find the van outside an old warehouse, recent abductee still alive in some type of stasis chamber.

The MXs converge with Dorian and Kennex and make their move.

Dorian’s heat sensing booby shots confirm several victims are still alive…

…and more than likely the perp is in the building (Ha! Yes I actually used “Perp”... Seasoned Crime Writer).

Instead of sending Dorian in with his thermal imaging, Kennex goes old school with a flashlight and does one of the things he does best.

While Dorian gets momentarily fooled by a decoy, Kennex gets the sh@# kicked out of him.

He turns tables by getting him in the chest with a pig sticker – only to see it do nothing but create some fireworks. But it distracts Sparky long enough, and he is able to put several rounds in to his chest.

Dorian joins him and is surprised to see they were not dealing with a human or a Bad Robot. They had been up against a Cyborg.

In his lair is a wealth of data listing all the people he abducted over the years.

All these robotics and the stolen organic printer – Kennex realizes he may be looking at all the things his father was accused of stealing out of Police Evidence and selling on the black market.

Dorian scans to see who was in charge of the evidence locker back then.

It was a cop that met his own demise 3 weeks after Edward Kennex.

Back at the Bat Cave, pieces are put together by my favorite genetically enhanced, Chromalicious detective.

Glenn Dunbar had a degenerative disease laying waste to his nervous system. He managed to get his hands on robotics – many of which were taken out of police lock-up. He then abducted the homeless to do tests of the robotics in the application to the human body. As the tech started to fail over time, Dunbar had to start gathering more test subjects so that he could keep his body running.

And Costa is now a free man.

As the episode winds down:

Maldonado congratulates Kennex on finishing his father’s work on the Straw Man case…

…and for clearing his dad’s name. The evidence points to the cop in charge of evidence, Grant, in selling tech out of the evidence locker on the black market. He implicating Edward Kennex to cast doubt on anything he might uncover in regards to Costa. When Dunbar had no more use for Grant, he eliminated him as well.

Dorian has his second appointment with the review committee, acting like a MX, thinking that is what they want. They do not. Thanks to Kennex’s report, Dorian could not have received higher praise. And his assignment with Detective Kennex will continue.

In the final scene (ever?), Dorian tracks Kennex down at his favorite noodle shop. Not only does he give his appreciation, he gives him a new leg. The fact John told the committee, Dorian is a huge reason why he continues to be a cop, is a kindness Dorian has never experienced.

And Dorian is overwhelmed with the feelings so skillfully given the DRNs…much to John’s faked dismay.

The partnership is solid as a rock. As is their friendship.

Paraphrasing an awesome last line from a favorite show…

… time to go to work.

I obviously had a ton of questions as “Straw Man” came to a close. Many of which I brought up in my opening paragraph. And if there were 9 more episodes, I am quite sure the story would have moved along nicely. They hinted at a much more complex reason for the missing robotics and Edward Kennex's implication in stealing and selling them. I would suppose this is one little bit of closure the writers could give us if they suspected the season (and maybe the series) would end after the 13th episode. A possible last minute story change to tie up this one loose thread? It’s possible. But with so many really interesting plot points, this one resolution feels very empty. This is not a criticism of what I have seen over the 13 episode season. It is more of an indictment of FOX not giving JH Wyman a clear path to assemble his story. You really don’t even have to go past the reordered episodes to be frustrated over the handling of the show. If I am correct and the episode number was cut short as well? All I can say is I developed a new respect for FOX after Fringe was given an, albeit, abbreviated fifth season to give the faithful fans some semblance of a full story. And if FOX decides to take Almost Human out for a second season spin? All will be forgiven here as well.

I hope you guys enjoyed the little run I had recapping episodes – especially in light of turning my complaints into a head first jump into doing it myself. You guys have been great and I have enjoyed every minute of it. Thanks to @Rolamb, @Gislef and @Grumpyclown for helping me out as I got my feet wet. Let’s hope a second season brings more attention to the show and better quality of writing! Say hi on the Farscape Watchback – if you enjoy the nature of these reviews and are a fan of Farscape, I think you will find them fun. Now go to Rudy’s lab and charge up with the hopes we do this all again next fall!

- Edshrinker
96 Comments
Comments (96)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Live+7 DVR Numbers from the 17th - 23rd had Almost Human up 53% (5th highest raise in ratings)
Flag
Good episode for this show, and I'm very happy they didn't end it on a cliffhanger.
I very nearly didn't watch it because I HATE cliffhangers on shows that don't come back - I've yet to watch the final episode of Dollhouse or Alphas, for example.
I'm hoping Almost Human gets a second season, but I nearly held off on the ep till I was certain - glad I didn't! :)

One thing I got to thinking about was how John was SO certain his father could NOT have been dirty or guilty; he "knew" him too well, he could never have done something like that.
And yet he's been betrayed on a very personal level in the past.
Did the show completely forget about his missing "girlfriend", who left him just as he was wounded in the attack that sent him into a coma - and later turned out to be a member of inSyndicate?
Kennex of all people should know that people aren't always who they seem to be.
As for Maldonado, she knows more than she's letting on.
I'm not saying she's a bad guy, I'm just saying she has SECRETS, and some of them are being kept from John.

All in all, this was the kind of episode which has kept me coming back for more - the story was ok, but the little moments between Kennex and Dorian were gold; the look on Dorian's face when the interviewer told him about John's glowing recommendation hit me right in the feels.
Well done, AH. :)

P.S. Please come back to us!
More+
Flag
P.S. Please come back to us!

Amen my friend.

I will reiterate a THEORY that some on Cory's thread quoted as fact (which makes me feel dirty)...that Wyman was promised a back order 9. So whrn he wrote these AWESOME "Big Arc" stories he'd have the last 9 to flesh them out and set up the TRUE enemy of Kennex and Co. If yoiu are continually promised you have 22 episodes, you woud write at a pace exactly like this, The mid-season finally (which was Straw Man) has the team together - ready to attack the evils crawling around inside SND OUTSIDE the Wall. Nigel has all those Synthetic Souls and DRNs. I see a war coming ( and BET it would have been the season finale - with KEnnex and Dorian having to choose a side . HOW FREAKIN AWESOME WOULD THAT HAVE BEEN!!!!

Alas. Without another season or 4,,,we won't see the brilliant J.H. Wymans's vision. Imagine FRINGE being cancelled before the "over there" with William Bell?
Flag
Once again, great photo recap! I didn't realize until reading this how many times Stahl changes her outfit. Why don't Kennex or Dorian ever wear different outfits? Thought John is probably the typical guy with 10 copies of the same boring black shirt, and Dorian likely isn't given a shopping allowance by the department. But then I wonder - how did Dorian manage to buy a gift for John, let alone a fancy top of the line leg? Did he sucker Rudy into buying it?

Speaking of John's leg, anyone else imagine it being really awkward for him in certain situations? Like, he's on a date that's going really well, if ya know what I mean, and then his leg goes off with a "Warning, only 5% charge remaining."
Flag
If it is just the leg...he's cool. Between the leg better be at 120%.

Dorian did qualify he had help from Rudy. Rudy's big money is spent on sexbots and nothing more.

No worries...a sweet, passionate goodnight kiss can set the stage for FAR MORE than a quick dash to the room. Losing the charge would be the cue to hold back and make her really intrigued...

Edshrinker: Cyborg Sex Therapist.
Flag
Agreed. This is just how my mind works sometimes.

On a completely different note, I didn't think you were actually too far off with Maldonado acting suspiciously. Not that I think she is dirty, but what if she knows more than she is letting on? Did anyone else feel like the robotics issue with Edward Kennex got wrapped up way too neatly? Like they are happy to just assume that the other dead cop was the dirty one? What if there is still a dirty cop in the precinct? Or what if Edward isn't REALLY dead, but just undercover and Maldonado knows it? That would be fun for a second or third season. For example, last week Maldonado says that she brought Kennex back to work because she lost a bet. Maybe she lost a bet with Edward!

Another thing that is REALLY bugging me is the fact that John's dad has supposedly been dead for 10 years already. But in the pilot where we see a video message from Anna, she says something to Kennex about how "your dad would have really loved this." To me I assumed this meant that Anna had met Kennex's dad and that he had only recently passed away. But if he died 10 years prior, was Kennex dating this infiltrator for like TEN YEARS??? Scary.
More +
Flag
1. Shame on me... but he was in a coma for quite a while, but I can't remember how long. 10 yers may feel like nothing if he were out cold for ...3? 3 Years seems to pop in my empty melon.

2. I LOVE the way your mind works

3. Maldonado was not the Captain yet back when the Ed Kennex thing happened. Wouldn't be AWESOME if Malonado was his partner? And now she is hiding a bunch of absolute shit going on? Lemme put that mustache back on her! ;-p
Flag
The final sequence at the sushi bar was the ultimate Blade Runner homage, missing nothing but a piece of origami. Outstanding. I will buy the bluray just for that.
Flag
@Rolamb would agree wholeheartedly!
Flag
I liked how the murder of John's father was not part of some grand scheme to end the world, but instead just a case of a corrupt cop covering his ass. In these shows the father/mother is killed just before unveiling the return of the freakin' Sith Lords.
I'm also glad we didn't get a cliffhanger. Especially if this happens to be the last episode, doing it light and with some sort of a closure is a great thing.

Thanks for your work, edshrinker. Here's me hoping that you'll have to do it for at least one more season :)
Flag
Fingers toes and scanned balls crossed
Flag
Totally agree with what you said at the beginning of your review - and I hope with all of you, that we will get a secons (full) season.

You asked about a scatter gun, and I didn't see any explenations down below:

A "scatter gun" is a colloquial expression for a shot-gun. A gun that scatters its shot, which makes it easier to hit your target at close range but almost impossible to do so at longer range. The shorter the barrel, the wider the scatter. Thats why you have sawed-off shotguns....
I can't really remember where that came up in the episode or if they still have shotguns in the future, but maybe they have something that works / scatters the same way.

Anyways, thanks for all your good work on these recaps.
Flag
Thank you Xub! I really want to see the future version of that gun!
Flag
I am now convinced beyond a doubt JH Wyman was certain he was getting an order for a back 9...or 5...or 3...or something.

If it wasn't clear last week, there should be zero doubt now. There's no reasonable explanation other than the expectation of a back 9.

I am not going to beat Almost Human up for what it is not.

No, but I can beat up Fox for actively getting in the way of Almost Human becoming what it could be. If this show doesn't get renewed, I think Fox will have outdone itself and Almost Human will have surplanted Firefly as the most disrespected show on its (or any other) network.

"Provided by TPTB and considering this may be the funniest car exchange yet…"

Given the quality of past exchanges, that's high praise indeed.

Maldonado's evil mustache and removal...HA!

"Anyone else see the irony in the "Cubes" being a round building"

Yup, and it's hilarious! I also think it was intentionally, because Almost Human is cheeky like that.

"Tight sweater Gene"

Double HA!

"Dorian joins him and is surprised to see they were not dealing with a human or a Bad Robot."

Triple HA! On a roll, aren't ya?
________

Best I can do is close my eyes and hope for the best. Not only is this show far too good to get the treatment from Fox it's received, it's far too good for things to end here.

{fingers crossed}
More+
Flag
That tight sweater is definitely genetic engineering .

Thanks for everything Marcus! I am trying to put out fires now, because quite a few have taken the "back 9 order" as gospel and they are really pissed at FOX. I wish I had the proof, but I don't. But didn't it feel that way to you due to the pace?

Anyway - yeah i was on a roll and puch drunk, stayed up all night to get mine up before Cory. The irony was it was up, but wasn't promoted until about 12 hours after Cory's. Oh well.

Incidentally - he finally responded to our community on HIS review. It is both interesting and disturbing.
Flag
Walks like a duck, talks like a duck...

It's inconceivable to think that somebody wasn't planning on continuing the story. While a good episode, to by design, end a short rookie season here is awfully hard to believe. Perhaps a misunderstanding, miscommunication or somebody was misled, but it's inconceivable to think that this is how both parties had things planned out.

I haven't seen Cory's yet, so by definition, that makes your review better...err...right?

And that sweater...Nobel Prizes are for stuff like that. Forget about the genetic manipulation of chromosomes to the point of producing a near perfect human being, the calculations that went into producing a fabric with that kind of tensile strength...now THAT'S science right there.
Flag
Dorian and Kennex need special "science" sweaters too ; )
Flag
I really hope the show gets a second season. All of the story arcs that were set up this season need to be resolved, inSyndicate, Nigel Vaughn, Dorian's memories. I want to learn more about the Almost Human universe - cyborgs, chromes and what is on the other side of the wall? Will Kennex ever ask out Stahl? Most importantly I want to see more scenes of Dorian and Kennex in the car.
Flag
You always gottta drive somewhere! This show deserves it. Especially if they jerked J.H. Wyman around as much as I think they did.
Flag
What a creepy guy in wheelchair.....not even human we find out in the end...weirdo....!!
Loved how Dorian was insecure about his position in the corps...
Rudy was so funny, with having a baby of Dorian...hahahahahha
Didn't see much of stahl this week, maybe she got two episodes about chromes....??
Really like the series and really hope we get another season..!
Flag
Great review~lots of fun to read.
I hope the show gets renewed!
Flag
I love the show ! I hoooooooooooooooope they don't cancel it...
Flag
We need to bombard Fox with something like paulburrows commented. Noodles? Microchips? Old cell phones?
Flag
If only we could tell them how many people on an important tv site in the US voted to have a second season and how few voted against (here). I tried to find on the Fox site how to do that but I found no way to do it.
Flag
As someone already said, it's Castle x Robocop.
"I apologize for scanning your balls".
Flag
I was disappointed with this "business as usual" episode instead of a true season finale. Oh, and, by the way, the chrome technology has a flaw, since Minka Kelly wasn't engineering with the good-acting gene. But I thought the explanation given for her looks a brilliant move, and I'm glad the show acknowledged that.
Flag
Minka Kelly wasn't engineered with the good-acting gene, not wasn't engineering.
Flag
If she gives Kennex that cute side-smile I am good.

But seriously - I don't think we have really seen her get anything to even show if she has chops. I never her saw her in her other shows. She's a Chrome. They can fix that gene!
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I really didn't find her all that bad. Other than her beauty, she didn't stand out either. Kind of the typical techie/profiler talking head role. It has some room to grow if they want to challange her next season.
Flag
Thanks for the review, and the previous reviews, great encapsulations and analysis, they really help get an overview of the show. As you say, it's an odd end of season episode, much lower key than most, I wonder if they were running short on money by this point? Nice pseudo-flashback recap of Dorian's best car moments ("is that all for one person?") and the review and closing scene gave it a bit of a season-end theme, but it did feel a bit flat. The case of the week didn't really work for me, I really don't buy that printing a new skin and turning it into a scarecrow did anything useful - surely drones looking for the missing abductees wouldn't be able to see into his test lab? The other visual Fringe reference for me this week was the White Tulip Peter Weller look of the tech embedded into the guy's skin, pretty much identical makeup jobs. Having gone through the season at the weekend in the right episode order, it's a great show, and I hope there's a second season, if only for more car conversations!
Flag
It's been a blast! All the great feedback has made this a ton of fun. I hope we are talking plans and casting news and other goodies this summer!
Flag
So I hear there is another review floating around, but I reckon it's only fair to leave a comment on the work of the guy who has supported and followed the show all season. So thanks Edshrinker for your weekly recaps, I was delighted to find them and converse with others on the show.
This show has so much potential. They have touched on great material for serialized stories. It's the relationship between John and Dorian though that is key. They have great chemistry, it will be such a shame if this pairing doesn't continue. Here's hoping. I'll watch this space for your updates Ed! :)
Flag
Thanks Borgsblueyes! I will be all over it like a Dorian scan on Kennex's balls.

wait....

;-p
Flag
LMFAO
Flag
I can't believe I was so late to this party, it's like I've just got my first beer, just been introduced to the hot single girls and the MXs have pulled up outside.
Gutted!

I keep lumping this show in with Intelligence and SHIELD, but unlike those two Almost Human has actually improved over the season. It's easily the best of the three. SHIELD has simply maintained it's stance as a mediocre disappointment whilst Intelligence has actively gotten worse (the last episode was my last, it was pitiful). The characters have grown as individuals and as a group, although I would have liked to see a bit more of them interacting outside of work. The plots have been interesting, as have the season long story arcs, they have been introducing some really clever ideas with the future technology and asking some very astute questions about the use of that technology - how it could be manipulated and exploited. My biggest problem with Helix (apart from the characters being stupid) was the fact that they completely passed over the science and doused the show in ridiculous fiction, whereas Almost Human has found that perfect balance Sci-fi. It's not a stretch of the imagination to consider a lot of the tech, and it's multitude of uses, actually available to us in the future and I'd be surprised if a lot of ideas are not being worked on already by some very clever people somewhere.
If this is the only one of any of the shows I've mentioned that gets cancelled I'd completely understand why, but if it's the only one to get cancelled that would be a travesty.
More+
Flag
That's really spot on, Trev. I think I am a little naive to think networks look at sites like this and see that the audiance is THERE - and will be FAITHFUL (like FRINGE). We may only get you a 1.8, 2.0 on a good night - but it will be there every week.

IDK, man. I want keep good vibes flowing but I have had my heart crushed too many times - especially by FOX. You know how you try to minimize grief by expecting the worst - hoping for the best? After seeing that lousy number last night I am really bumming.

Thanks for your great feedback over the season!
Flag
Firstly Eddy great review as always. I haven't gone near Cory Barker review because I simply saw no need to at all. Kudos Eddy!
I can only but agree with your opening paragraph. This was a stand out episode and as a standalone or a mid season episode really worked well. There are lots of unanswered questions which I would certainly hope means a continuation of Almost Human for at least second season if not more. It certainly did not felt like a finale of any type. JH Wyman just needs to be left to get on with the job really. Full Stop!
As per other comments it was actually a very "Fringey" episode in feel. This was not a bad thing, though keeping the strong Rudy, Dorian, and "yes" the Chrome element via Minka Kelly. Yes I get it she is definitely great eye candy, but really is that all she is going to be? The cyborg thing reminded so much of Episode 18 Season 2 "White Tulip" from Fringe...

undefined

The other thing that stood out for me was large numbers of homeless and hungry people... So not the shiny utopian future that the first 12 episodes might possibly suggest... worrying really as with all that high tech kicking around you would have thought homelessness and hunger would have been cured! Odd really!

More+
Flag
I really expected them to save the "dirty" parts of the city over The Wall. I might guess we could see something totally unexpected over there! (I hope!0

Thanks as always, Manoj! PM me if you are able to work on some Farscape sometime!
Flag
Not the best of News:

By Network
. Net Show/Time 18-49 Viewers

. 20:00 ABC The Bachelor
. CBS How I Met Your Mother 3.3 9.11

. NBC The Voice 4.5 15.65

. FOX Almost Human 1.5 5.60

. ABC The Bachelor 2.1 7.91

. CW Star-Crossed 0.4 1.19

. 20:30 CBS Mom
. CBS 2 Broke Girls 2.6 8.43

. CW Star-Crossed

More+
Flag
Knew Cory would put up a review but once again kudos for getting this up so fast. Not what I was a expecting from a season finale but I loved it. Not sure why everyone wants/expects cliffhangers in season finales though. If the show is good enough the fans will be back regardless.

Can't wait for news on the renewal front (I did a double take when Being Human was cancelled, my brain just shut down and I completely read it wrong). Hope it gets to carry on, even if it's a dollhouse style wrap up season for arc stories.
Flag
If they can treat Joss Whedon that way, Wyman sure isn't safe. But yeah - if that is all we get over cancellation I'll take it. So many neat ideas were broached.
Flag
i talked to the same guy at FOX who was spot on earlier, when I found out we were only getting 13 episodes, but that we would see them all. I swear he read off a prepared statement. "Happy with the numbers, grateful to the fans - a decision will be made on a second season in due time.

I wish I had more news - but at least no news means there is still a chance. There would be no reason to NOT tell us it wouldn't be renewed.
Flag
A couple things, it was a great episode, on one hand I was really happy with all of the ground covered although was a little supprised they didn't end with a cliffhanger being the finale. It makes me wonder if the creators had seen the early ratings and decided to play it safe and not end with a cliff hanger just in case they did get canceled?!?! If they do get canceled I'm glad to not be left in hanging, but really really hope that the show gets the same treatment of Wyman's other show Fringe with around 5 seasons.

Speaking of Fringe this episode was a lot like the Fringe episode with the serial killer that was posing as a guy in a wheelchair to kidnap girls and make them into living dolls (the dollmaker, I believe he was called in that show?) As for the Prison it reminded me of the Raft in various Marvel comicbook, which is a super human prison in the negative zone which I believe ether Ant-Man or Mr Fantastic built. Anyways I really hope that Fox renews this fantastic show, maybe we need to start mailing robot legs or something into the Fox Executives like the Fringe fans mailed in Red Vines?
More+
Flag
Was that Marionette? Oh good dog that was a creepy ep. That was a popular choice on my The Scariest Moment in Television History discussion.
Flag
No I believe Marionette was the guy that was re-harvesting donated organs to bring his girlfriend back to life, can't remember the name later in the series. I believe the one I'm referring to was in the 1st season ish.
Flag
Yesyes. I remember that. They were totally aware but unable to move. Eek.

We have a FRINGE watchback in the works as soon as my friend Mirela has the time to dig in. I know we'd love it if you'd contribute! Either do a review here and there or maybe you could do some art accompanying my Photo Recaps? Shoot me a PM on here or FB.
Flag
A little expensive. We sent Crackers for Farscape. Noodles maybe?

Nice to see you Pa Burrows! Good Morning L O S T 'poom' for you!
Flag
Michael Ealy and Karl Urban really click; they’ve got the reluctant Buddy-cops and the hilariously unintentional romantic chemistry — and they have the right mix of Inspired-Insight and logical analysis to make compelling detectives who run through the minefields in the most risky investigations.
Makes it fitting that Almost Human wraps up its first (and only?) season with a strong case that leans heavily on that comic/tragic pairing and ends with Dorian and Kennex sharing an out-on-a-limb moment before heading off into the night to Almost save Humanity.

Flag
I'm getting pun-itis. LOL Out on a limb.

My life won't be complete until I see the complete Dorian freak out we were promised. I really think Ealy had a few more scripts than were filmed. Jeebus - what were those "real" memories about?
Grrr
Flag
I'd love to see a gag reel of Dorian/kennes/rudy

Flag
I wanna know how they didn't crack up when Dorian says: "I'm sorry I scanned your balls"
Flag
I thought it was the best episode of the season.
The characters gelled and the squad finally showed how well they can work together - Det. Paul proved he could be more than a punchline for Kennex.

As @Rolamb stated, it really reminded me of Blade Runner - even before the noodle stand. For me it was the music,-it was errily similar.
Flag
Once I got it out of my head I would get answers to all the dangling threads - I totally agree. Awesome twist of a story. But man, Like I said, this just felt so much like a show about to go on a 6 week winter hiatus - momentum built toward the last half. In a good way - it left me wanting.
Flag
thanks edshrinker for your excellent commentaries.
PMSL about ACCESS DENIED - perfect summation of my dating life.
May the series renewed become, and your commentaries continue they will.

Flag
And some day i shall see "Access Granted" ;-p

'cause if Kennex isn't gonna make his move on Stahl, then darn it...
Flag
I'll be wearing super *SAD FACE* if Fox doesn't bring back this show! But then we are talking about the geniuses behind Fox News, so who knows...I was cracking up at the end of this ep 'I was made to feel, John...' at the end of the day, the relationship between these two is what makes this show special. My crush on Karl Urban aside, I'd be okay if they never bring back the ex, especially if it's something cliched like her coming back as an informant. I'm far more interested in what's going on behind the wall. Thanks to edshrinker for his time and effort! I think most of us feel like his voice is the one we really want to hear in these reviews. Have a great summer Ed!
Flag
We shall meet again in the Fall (or on all the current shows!) Ms Rose!
Flag
In a final opinion, I liked the episode as a standalone but it also gave some closure (in case needed) that the human - humanoid robot team may carry on. But there's so much more to explore. What's on the other side of the wall, what happened to those humanoid parts, what can Chromes even do more, how sexy can Minka be, how much development can a robot with an emo-chip have, where is his former girlfriend etc. etc. etc.

And tank you @edshrinker for making these photocap reviews and keeping the discussion alive when tv.com didn't.
Flag
I can already tell you how sexy Minka can be. But this is a "family" site. ;-p
Flag
When they visited Costa in jail, that cell seemed to be just a bare necessity to sit in. It got that big computer table, but where were the other necessities like a bed, toilet etc. a prisoner even in 2047 might need.

And you showed us a picture of the jail from above. In the Netherlands we have a few of those dome jails, they look pretty neat from the inside. One has just been closed down and we had an April's fool joke last year about a company wanting tot turn it into a hotel.

Flag
I saw that joke! And for the length of the article - I was believing it.

We have The Onion over here (it's birthplace was my Alma mater) that does stories like that on the regular.
Flag
Now how fun is that when Dutch jokes get on a boat to the States. We have a tradition here for April fools jokes that I think to be better then the US ones.
Flag
Well, paraphrasing the great Michael Caine - I hate people who are intolerant of other cultures. And the Dutch.

Check it out anyway: The Onion - America's Finest News Source
Flag
I'm guessing the "amenities" probably retracted into the wall when not in use.
Flag
Yeah, that's also what I thought but I also image we're human and some kind of interior would be better then just the walls. I would rather have those elements in my cell then just have walls. also, no shelves with books (or the 2047 equivalent), photo;s etc. It spooked me a bit.
Flag
Did you see Blade Runner reference (my first posts on the site were on that film)? When Kennex was drinking his saké in this Japanese (snack/food)bar it was a reference to the dystopian world of Blade Runner where Deckard was sitting in a Japanese (snack/food)bar just like it. The Blade Runner one was even more dystopian then the Almost Human one.

Flag
He's even sitting the same way. Good eye.

They have had quite a few quick shots coming back from commercials that had that BR look.
Flag
The evaluation of Dorian felt like an evaluation for themselves of the season. By saying he did well, got so much appraisal like: "You've received glowing reviews across the board", he got renewed. Now how much of a self appraisal can they give us. Of course I fully agree with them.
Flag
I was VERY wr... wr...wr... wrong (my Fonz impersonation)

You don't think "too much" You think exactly enough. Considering FRINGE - I think J.H. (that's what I call him. We're buds) is clever enough to write that in to express exactly your theory among other things.
Flag
DUDE! Very Meta. Maybe a little psychic influence on the Network! (nods off at his desk) Hate to see all my typos on my reports.

What were you saying? LOL! I should have listened to you and got some sleep! I believe I almost fell asleep on a client earlier.
Flag
A few things to mention, but let's start with the good news how the fans feel about the show. In my post on the question whether there will be a second season, out of the 1278 votes (March 4th at 07:43 PST), 1236 voted they wanted a second season. A lot of people (for this site) read it and voted on it. Almost Human is very much appreciated.
Flag
Let's hope FOX is paying attention. I have to believe they have been more saavy taking stuff like that into account. Like DVR +7 and stuff like that (AH went up 75% last week taking that into account).

Flag
I love your reviews, you are funny as h*ck! Great, now I have one less thing to look forward to every week!
Actually 2 things!
1. Weekly dose of Kennex & Dorian
2. Your amazing photo recaps! *sad emoticon*

I really enjoyed the majority of this episode. There was SO MUCH potential here...so many great questions bubbling below the surface, it's unfortunate that this had to be the neatly-wrapped-up season (series?) finale. It was great to see Fringe (Season 5) Divisions Anil as an evil cyborg/nice homeless dude. Nice American accent Anil! Very impressed!

Ed, I think you are spot-on about Wyman expecting a back nine. This episode felt like it was going to finish on a cliffhanger but then they chose not to go that route in case of this being the SERIES finale. What a shame! Such a missed opportunity.
I feel really bad for J.H. Wyman right now because it seems like (as I've said before) he is really under FOX's thumb with this one. His ideal Almost Human would be serialised with lots of science vs faith, tech vs humanity and ALL of the brain-cell-scratching philosophy a show like this is the perfect candidate for. He has expressed this via Twitter several times throughout the season. If you can read between the lines - you know that the guy is NOT happy with what's been done to his "baby".
Much like Rudy hinted, J.H. Wymans "baby" is being raised by a robot! Not a Bad Robot either! A Robo-Fox with a limited imagination. Just imagine an MX in a Versace suit basically! That's who's holding the Almost Human reigns!
So unfortunately Wyman had to conform to the "40min-case-solved" sheep mentality that the (robo-)FOX execs demanded while also delaying the premiere and screwing with his episode order. It's really a shock that Wyman hasn't suffered a breakdown of some kind. Maybe he has?
Maybe HE has been replaced with a Robo-Replica and the real Joel Wyman is laying dead in a back alley stuffed with straw! If that's the case, this was a very poignant and "fitting" series finale. Come to think of it, the cyborgs body looked A LOT like Alistair Peck's body in Fringe's best stand-alone (mythalone) "White Tulip" (written by Wyman)! Dun-dun-dun! OMG, you guys. :'(
R.I.P J.H. Wyman - We will never forget Fringe. *xeroxing a White Tulip(TM) right now*

All I can say is I hope Joel is alive and well and that the show gets renewed for a full second season. Also, I hope Wyman gets full control over the creative decisions and storytelling for S2.
If FOX does renew Almost Human only to continue jerking it around and pushing for a dumbed down sci-fi procedural then I'd rather just leave it at this.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT THROUGH THESE WILDLY ENTERTAINING REVIEWS ED! You have kept Almost Human alive here on TV.com and I am very grateful for all your hard work. :-)
More+
Flag
*sobs

I was made to feel, Mirela!

I can't really add anything to that. I feel your anger. I tried to be in the right mind to write these things because no wants to read bitching and moaning in a recap. As your words indicate - everyone who has followed the show knows what the real problem is and it would be a shame if FOX micro-managed the crap out of it, took away the vision of MR. Wyman...AND THEN EFFING CANCELLED IT! (FOX: "Oops - our bad, Joel").

If it gets canned - I wonder if J.H. will risk pissing off FOX (for future projects) and let us know what really happened. If you see any relevant tweets - Post it for us or shoot me a PM and I can spread the news. I have a call in to my "buddy" familiar with the show at FOX. Wonder if he'll give me anything.
Flag
I was made to feel too! That's why I appreciate your reviews. You mix just the right amount of your opinion but you don't go into nit picking making sure it's still enjoyable for us to read.
I will keep a close eye on Joel's tweets and if you still can, you should definitely try to get in touch with Mr. Robo-Fox - maybe he can shed some light on what happened. But I think you pretty much nailed it with the back nine thing.
P.S. I hope Joel gives FOX a big finger (and goes to cable) if they mess with him again. His talent is too good to be wasted on pilot or "on the bubble" projects IMHO.
Flag
Boy - that's something that didn't occur to me. What is it continued on another Network? The budget would be slashed to be on SyFy, but if the stories are good and if we get really into the awesome arc they have set in motion - I could handle a few les "beeps and boops" and fancy pants shiny things. Defiance does an ok job with effects - it sould really work. And Joel could tell his story his way.
Flag
Ed, I feel your pain. I lose sleep on just comments - so I can imagine how exhausting (and time consuming) recapping is. Hats off to you! Seriously.
Yes, I'd totally settle for SyFy version of Almost Human - for me, it's the story that matters the most. I can deal with lame special effects if the show hooks me.
But I doubt any cable network would revive AH after just one (and not very successful) season. But you never know! I just meant that if FOX screws up, J.H. Wyman should start pitching new stuff to cable in the future.
Flag
Yokes. My fingers are failing me. TYPOS!! I only slept 3 hours trying to beat Cory's review. Lot of good that did me. So damn competitive (and such a damn idiot for it).
Flag
No - I am disappointed. BUt like I said, not necessarily in the creative team. Not sure what they were thinking as a whole when this was plotted out. Wyman could have been tottally shafted - then again, it could have been a combination of a lot of things. Too ambitious in the "mystery" when he knew he might only have 13? I doubt we'll knw anything unless it get cancelled. I Then Wyman still has to be careful since he'll hope FOX gives him more work.
Flag
it's a good show, but there are some glaring weaknesses - when he delivers his speech to Dorian in the car about his father refusing to take a cut of a drug dealer’s money from his corrupt police unit. Urban can’t quite pull that monologue; or it was poorly written or it just didn't belong there at all.
I would much rather have had some 'Lethal Weapon' kind of banter there.
BTW - if you haven't watched CBC's 'Continuum' yet - grab it. Really well done future fiction.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1954347/?ref_=nv_sr_2
Flag
I LOVE Rachel Nichols (especially as an Orion Slave Girl in Trek). Did watch the 1st half of season1, but then I just kind of fell off of it.
Flag
I got the DVD set from my library, and it was hard to stop binge-watching. She's smokin hot - and Holy Shit Rachel Nichols went to Columbia University in NYC, where she graduated with a double major in math and economics. Smart and beautiful
Flag
Yeah, I really do hope this show gets renewed so more of the world of 2040 gets explored and so we see at least some of the hinted at arcs resolved or at least fleshed out. If anything, I just want to see more of the back-and-forth repartee of Kennex/Urban and Dorian/Ealy. This season's final episode had some of the best of the entire series.
Flag
Nothing like hearing the two of them talk about the time Dorian scanned Kennex’s balls again.
Flag
Whatcha you said, bub ! Now that it's done for the season, I would guess we'll get some news.
Flag
Great review (I especially liked the POI reference). I was quite pleased with this episode. And while I was disappointed at the lack of arc-iness the past three episodes, I felt this was a good way to end the season (or even the series if it doesn't get renewed).

I won't talk about my expectations for this season. Having watched this episode, you may be right on the producer expecting a back 9 order. I think more than that though, the whole season was just testing the waters to see if there was an audience for this type of show- an audience with no major demands or expectations. I think a lot of people expected a lot more and are disappointed. I expected a bit more, but I'm not that disappointed.

My hope is that there will be a second season and that because it made the cut, it will start delving into a bit more of the plots. A lot of these stories could've been multi-episode arcs. But because of the network that it's on, I can see why it might hold back from investing into those stories so early. Anyway, as usual, thanks for the recap!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members