An Almost Human Community
FOX (ended 2014)

Almost Human S01E13: "Straw Man"

What an odd season of television this was. Throughout its 13 episodes, Almost Human seemed to be at war with itself as it tried to decide exactly how much information to reveal and how much ground it wanted to cover, story-wise. That's to be expected with freshman shows, especially those with sci-fi leanings airing at plum times on broadcast television. You have to play the game by airing a few fairly procedural episodes that don't overly emphasize the futuristic setting, the androids, the multi-year conspiracies, and more. 

But after a string of good efforts in the middle of the season, the final few episodes illustrated that Almost Human is more confused than ever about how much show and tell it wants to play. We received more information about the chromes and their development, but we didn't learn any more about the Insyndicate or John's ex-girlfriend. Last week's hour suggested that someone was inserting memories into Dorian, but it didn't appear to be connected to Nigel Vaughn, who was last seen jumping over the wall. And despite some really good moments, the season finale, "Straw Man," continued that weird late-season trend; ultimately, few of the questions raised in the pilot were answered, or even really addressed. 

The curious thing with episodes like this one is that you can see how the show wants you to view something as IMPORTANT. "Straw Man" not only had a wild hook—people were getting kidnapped only to reappear with their organs missing and their bodies stuffed with straw—but it tied that hook back to the "mystery" surrounding John's father. I put mystery in scare quotes because, if you recall, Almost Human's original pilot hinted that John's dad was actually a synthetic himself. Until now, it hadn't been clear whether the show planned to explore that idea in the future, but "Straw Man" suggested that it doesn't want to go that direction, as John and Dorian found themselves investigating the aforementioned wild case, which just so happened to be the most prominent case John's dad had worked. 

To be fair, that personal connection gave this episode's procedural stuff a more immediate bounce than some of Almost Human's other recent offerings, and the development of the case itself worked fine. The visual impact of cutting open a body and only finding straw was pretty cool, and the thought that people in this world are working in the dark to bring cyborgs to life is the kind of fascinating stuff that J.H. Wyman could easily build entire seasons around in the future. The problem was that Almost Human hasn't spent enough time on John's history, or his relationship with his father, to make digging up daddy's old case files particularly compelling. The show wanted us to think that this was a big deal, especially once John and Dorian discovered that John's father had started to figure out that something fishy was going on in the precinct and that it ultimately got him killed, but I certainly didn't feel the impact in my living room. And once our heroes caught the right guy and all that, all I could think was "That's it? Seriously?" Now, Almost Human could easily return to other ideas about John's father in a possible second season, but for a finale, this wasn't much.

The instinct to try to make the finale MORE IMPORTANT—to RAISE THE STAKES, if you will—is a good one. But what was so disjointed about "Straw Man," and by association this whole season, is not just that the resolution about John's dad was silly, but that Almost Human already had two or three other threads to pull at if it wanted to finish its first season with a big boom. If the writers weren't interested in providing more information about the Insyndicate and John's memories, fine; I disagree with that approach to storytelling, but okay. But why not go with something easier, like bringing back Vaughn, or making Dorian's secret memories cause him to go haywire, or heck, having a bunch of chrome purists kidnap Valerie? Those elements were already in play within the narrative, and the show could have mined them for more drama—not to mention more sensible storytelling. Choosing to introduce something else, and then wiping it away within the confines of an hour, did not work. 

What did work was what has been working all season: Karl Urban and Michael Ealy. Although the episode didn't explore Dorian's mysterious memories, it did build a basic but satisfying character story using one of the oldest tricks in the book: performance reviews! It was time for the higher-ups to determine whether Dorian was fit for continued duty, and "Straw Man" mined some nice material out of Dorian squirming about the potential consequences of his review and John trying to hide the fact that he does indeed want his partner to stick around. The banter in the car was as good as it's ever been, especially the scene where they reminisced over some of the previous banter—the ball scanning, the showing of the android penis... you know, the cool stuff. And that final sequence, where Dorian learned that he passed his review on the back of big praise from John, was just great. Almost Human didn't necessarily develop the two characters that much, but it went to great lengths to establish their bond. Though it's not like they weren't already buddies, Dorian getting John a new leg was just the nice little cherry on top of 13 episodes. 

Putting the good and the bad together, "Straw Man" was quite representative of Almost Human's first season. The primary story didn't have the impact it could have, especially with everything that was left by the wayside, leading to an unfortunately muddled and disappointing conclusion. But the character stuff? Strong. Very strong. All the elements are in place for Almost Human to be very, very good in Season 2. Assuming Almost Human gets renewed, I hope that Wyman and company have the confidence (or freedom) to make the show more complicated, or at least to be able to commit to stories in the longterm. Its world should be expanded better and stories shouldn't come and go so freely. Of course, we don't yet know whether there will be a Season 2, but I'm hopeful. 

NOTES TO BE UPLOADED

– Richard returned, suddenly not an asshole. If you told me that the character was going to be dropped between Seasons 1 and 2, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

– Valerie didn't have much to keep her busy in this episode, but the show actually did some nice things with her character throughout the season. Casting Minka Kelly as a near-perfect test tube human is about as spot-on as it gets, right?

– What happens to John's current leg now that he has a new one? Does it get recycled? Does he keep it as a spare? Does Rudy throw it in a pile? These are the important Qs I ask.

– So, any theories about all the ongoing mysteries and threads not addressed in this episode? What's up with the Insyndicate? What's going on beyond the wall?

How'd you feel about Almost Human's finale, and the season as a whole? Are you hoping the show will get renewed for Season 2?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/3/2014

Season 1 : Episode 13

141 Comments
Comments (141)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
NOW WE'LL NEVER KNOW WHAT HAPPENSSSSSSSSS FOXXXXXXXXX YOU SUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
Flag
Please renew this series. It is action packed with interesting story lines, funny and emotional and a winner as far as I am concerned. I would be very upset not to see more of these ever evolving characters.
Flag
If fox cancels Almost Human, then they'll, yet again, prove they're the only network willing to take risks with new shows, but not willing to stand by them. This show is the best they've had since Fringe debuted. Most really good shows don't soar until the second season, after all the characters are fleshed out. This show is the only reason I have to watch Fox. If it's axed, then the network is a dud to me.
Flag
By canceling the shows they do, it's only a matter of time before they look foolish and have another Firefly on their hands.
Flag
I cannot believe Fox would be so stupid as to cancel this show. And they keep on something about Bob the Hamburger. I knew this show was too good to stay on msm tv.
Flag
Really love this show & I hope it comes back. There is so much more they can do with it, like digging deeper into to characters. Between Almost Human & Sleepy Hollow I want a season 2
Flag
This show was really good and creative. I definitely hope that they will bring it back. It has been a long time since I have seen true imagination at work.
Flag
I like the show a lot, and I would hate to see it canceled. It has the potential to be even better if the writers could concentrate on the storyline rather than being forced to resort to whatever 'dazzle' the powers that be think will save the show from being canceled.

i'm so sick of getting invested in new shows that have all the markers to turn into something really good, only to find out the network has axed it from their next season's line up! I loved 'Firefly' - it also displayed all of the critical markers of something great. This is obviously true: the evidence being the cult-like following of their fans that remain today, even though the idiot network canceled over ten years ago.

With the current trend of the 'superhero' themes, 'Almost Human' could stand out - if the focus is on genuinely good story and character development. I hope that whoever is in charge chooses to give them that chance, as I am on the brink of boycotting networks that cut the good ones after only one season. Thank heavens 'Game Of Thrones' is on HBO...
Flag
I love the show. Beats the heck out of Two and a Half Men any day. You don't have to be filthy to have a great show.
Flag
I really enjoy this show. I hope it's not cancelled. I noticed the writing getting better by the finale. I like the episodic nature of the show, kinda like watching NCIS or Law and Order in that regard. The next episode is not necessarily entirely dependent on the previous episode. Seems to lighten the load, so to speak, but at the same time I still need to know what happens next. I like sci-fi, and this show fits the bill quite nicely. I like how the writing revolves around the working relationships more so than the futuristic gadgetry and elements. This show deserves a second season. Besides, it would just be rude to leave us all hanging on this side of "the wall" like that. Oh, and how can you go wrong with the chrome eye candy potential this show has to offer? :) Come on, FOX, this show has all it needs, from Producer to Make-Up. All it needs is some marketing by you, the network, showcasing the "buddy-cop" and the action/mystery that's being offered. More seasons, please.
Flag
GREAT SHOW AND FINALE. KEEP IT SIMPLE AND FUN TO WATCH. SCI FI FUTURISTIC COP SHOW. LOOKED FORWARD TO WATCHING EVERY WEEK.
SIGNED, OLD WHITE GUY WITH A KID'S IMAGINATION.
Flag
I wasn't sure about this for the first few episodes, but it grew on me and now I am a big fan! Certainly hope it returns for another season. Would like a few shows I enjoy. Others are critically okay, but much too gritty to be entertaining to me. I want to relax and have a good adventure!
Flag
what?! this was the season finale?! i had no idea! what am i going to do nowwww :'(?!?!? i need my dorian fix &3
Flag
I love this show. There are so many things I want to learn about...like what's over the wall. Urban and Ealy are great characters and this show needs a chance for a 2nd season for sure!
Flag
I love this show, a buddy cop show with a twist. However, the author fails to mention that this shows episodes were shown out of sequence by network execs. Which explains the jumpy plot lines and while I haven't seen the order they were supposed to be in. I'm guessing that the John Laroquette episode was meant to be the finale. Leave it to the network to ruin a show by putting episodes out of order. I think the ratings would have been better had they shown them in proper order. Unfortunately, all of this points to the fact that barring a miracle thos show will be canceled.
Flag
No, the John Laroquette episode was not intended to be the finale. It was intended to be the 9th episode, as it was aired. The final three episodes aired ("Disrupt", "Beholder", and "Straw Man") were aired in their intended order. So "Straw Man" was meant to be the finale all along.

But yes, all the jumping around in the order episodes was aired has not done the show any favors when it comes to continuity, although I can't say I"m surprised after the way FOX treated Firefly. I kind of knew this would happen before Almost Human even aired the first episode (and am quite disappointed to be proven right).
Flag
Just scanned down the comments and apparently there were supposed to be more episodes but they weren't ordered. This doesn't bode well for a next season. Oh boy. I really want a second season... we all better hope for a miracle.

Flag
That was a season finale?!!! Honestly I had no idea. I am shocked. That was a mid season filler surely? I really enjoy this show but wth? I thought it was a 22 ep season. What a disappointment.
Flag
I sort of liked the ep but for a season finale, yes I found it rather low key...to put it nicely! It actually feels a bit like a pilot...

Still love their chemistry though and hope the series gets renewed...
Flag
BTW: I forgot to say that the last scene (before Dorian comes by) was such a rip off of Blade Runner... or was it like an "homage"???
Flag
I really liked this episode! Had lots of great emotion and bromance. I liked learning more about John's father and upbringing - makes me wonder what ever happened to his mother?

This clearly was not originally intended to be the season finale though - even in interviews with Wyman and actors before the show started, they were talking about 22 episodes. I think the Nigel Vaugn episode was originally intended as the mid-season cliff hanger. Also it would make sense for Dorian's review at this point in the show to lead into him going haywire due to the implanted memories in another couple episodes.

I am hanging on to hope for a Season 2 and that more of our questions get answered! Even if Fox decides to keep it as a 13 episode mid season filler show, at least if Wyman knows that in advance, he can write and plan accordingly.
Flag
Story wise it needs some direction and more compelling stories. The thing that made me come back to this show week after week is the great chemistry between Urban and Ealy and the interesting world that has been shaped for this show. After seeing this first 13 episodes I can only hope for a more compelling second season cause if it's one thing this show has its potential a whole lot potential!
Flag
I am overall quite disappointed with this first season of the show. I wanted to like the show more.

If you view it as a each single episode as a movie, there were some really good ones. I still loved the 2nd episode about the sex bots. Episode 9 with Danica and Dr. Vaughn was the most interesting. I am still waiting to find out more about him. We still do not have answers from the episode. Episode 11 home security system was really cool. Episode 3 was a good hostage movie.

But as a series, I think it has failed. There are very disjointed and so many stories were left hanging.

I liked the two main leads and their great chemistry but if there is a season two, I really hoped the creators will take bold moves and make the series flow better as a whole. If not, it was just be like CSI, criminal minds or other procedural cop shows set in 2048.

Flag
i think its a pretty good show and Minka is hot, but i really dont care either way if its renewed or not.

i'm not really invested in any of the characters...just barely kennex & dorian. they needed a stronger finale dealing with the main overarching kennex storyline or dorians memories of that kid playing with a toy to get me more invested and wanting a season 2.

Flag
i cant believe that was the season finale. barely any progress on the main overarching story, which IMO is a bad choice. by the time next season comes, i will have forgotten all about it, since there was only like 1.5 eps in total dealing with it.

it's very difficult to care about his wife/lover that threw a grenade at him or whatever. see, i'm already forgetting what happened or why its even important
Flag
It's so rare to be able to watch good scifi on tv. As opposed to horror genre pretending to be scifi. I like the characters, and the future tech. The story seems all over the place, but then that is why we NEED a season 2!
Flag
is this the first time they have said the show is set in new pittsburgh?
Flag
This was the season finale? My god time for Rachel Nichols and Continuum to show the TV world how a Sci-Fi show should be done :-).
Flag
I wonder if our comments here (negative or positive as they may be) will have any impact on the show being renewed? Some sites have mentioned that watching AH on Hulu or through FOX.com might help to show our support but does FOX really care? They canceled Futurama & Firefly, shows with a much more involved and rabid fan bases than us (if you do consider yourselves fans of the show that is) and while this show is really solid, in my opinion, I can't help feel that our opinions have little to do with what FOX does.

It seems like the one-time hip, risk taking, 4th Network has become more like the old guard than the old guard... or to quote The Clash, "You grow up and you calm down and you're working for the clampdown. You start wearing the blue and brown and you're working for the clampdown."

Flag
I love this series. It is the most clever and well written thing to come out in years. The execution of all of the concepts is just amazing, and the acting brings it all together. I will be devastated if it doesn't get a second season. I look forward to purchasing the dvds and merchandise when they come out.
Flag
I really, really, really want this show to be renewed.
Flag
I really enjoyed the series, even with its faults and being shown out of order. I can't help but wish that the scene with Vaughn going over the wall was the "season cliffhanger" because I think it had a lot more impact.

I got the feeling from "Straw Man" that at some point after shooting it the script underwent a SEVERE re-write, because so much of the dialogue shots consisted of "showing the person who was being talked to while the other actor was doing a voiceover". To the point that I got really annoyed by it and I started losing the thread of the plot. I would be interested to know if that was indeed the case (as opposed to just really crappy editing choices), and what the original plot was.

I fervently hope this show is renewed for a second season. There are a lot of interesting plotlines that they have planted the seeds for - I really hope they get the chance to reap the harvest.
Flag
Well, hell, I didn't even know this was a season finale after before or after watching it; well, not until I read it here. It didn't feel like a finale at all. Also, most procedurals I've seen tend to do a good job of bringing out the feels in an episode that hits close to the protagonist (and one like Hawaii Five-0 goes overboard by making every case personal), but this one didn't do anything for me at all. It was a fine episode, but very run-of-the-mill and anticlimactic. I know the episode order may have had something to do with it, but for now, I kinda feel like they really wanna play it safe and not go for those big hit-or-miss episodes.
Flag
The reason this wasn't much of a finale is that it was never intended to be the finale! Wyman has said that he was expecting the back 9 to be ordered ... and the 1st season story was supposed to end with a 3 part mini arc.

Regarding John's father being a synthetic ... this was apparently the original plan ... however the final scenes covering this were only really in the non-broadcast pilot and were dropped/changed before broadcast as they changed their minds over the direction. John's father is *not* a synthetic.

I'm hoping the series does get renewed as I really like the characters - and it has a lot of potential (as long as the network stop messing with it and shuffling the episode order).
Flag
So what happens to the 3 part mini arc ?
Flag
I could be mistakes, but in my previous revirews I mentioned the last 3 eps would be aired in orde. Wyman wanted the last 5 ..but 3 is all he got. I speculated they would be arc heavy with the end coming. When they were't - I had a theory Wyman had a guarantee he had a back 9 (which is why he had the deliberate pace with the story arcs) and filmed the 13 as is. After all that was written and they were filming - FOX probably said..yeah. We have an order we like better (because we're smarter). Also - regardless of your story being plotted through 22 eps - we're gonna just finish after 13.

This show felt EXACTLY like that. Hense - My theory.

If there is proof of this actually being the case I would LOVE to know! Even @Rolamb thought it was a fact when he read my theory. And he is WAY smarter than me.
Flag
Sorry about the typos
Flag
I have to ask since I even talked to the FOX folks for my reviews here. Do you have a link?

@LOST-TWD-PP-GOT brought it up too (and used the exact words "back 9") which were the exact words of my theory in the last 2 photo recaps here. I have to reiterate, that was speculation based on the pace and slow reveals. I don't want folks thinking that was fact. And the last 3 episodes WERE in the intended order.

As I said before - I'd LOVE to know if my speculation was right! I'm happy to see people remembering something I wrote - but I don't want to mislead anyone. So if you have proof of it and didn't hear it from me, please throw me a link.
Flag
nice. i didn't know that about John, though I suspected that about this not having been the intended finale.
Flag
my theory last week and this week was that Wyman was probably told he was a lock for 20-22 episodes, plotted the whole season 1 arc out (all these slow reveals, hints dropped in, the totally MID-season finale feel of Straw Man) ...then when it came time to do the back 9 epidoses, FOX gave the old Gary Cole from Office Space - "Yyyyyeah. About that. If you could just wrap it up after 13, that'd be great." Even though he already and wrote and probably filmed the 1st 13.
Flag
that would explain some of the voiceovers in the end of the ep =\
Flag
LOL
Damn Gary Cole
Flag
Ugh. I understand why they want to play it safe to attract more viewers, but I was kind of expecting a game changing first season finale, a la Fringe. Sure, it won't be as painful if they don't renew it, because there were no cliffhangers, but Sleepy Hollow was almost all mythos and look how well that did in the ratings! I'd rather have an unfinished masterpiece than a show that lasts because it doesn't take any risks.
Flag
I heard they were hoping for a back 9 so they could work on a bigger story arch, but it never happened. I give it, at best, a 50/50 chance of renewal. there is a lot of potential in this show, but they need to start exploring a bigger arch.
Flag
Please see above a few posts. This is the 3rd time I heard this and I am feeling really guilty. I looked back at my recaps and I was clear it was speculation, but I obviously didn't do that well enough. Look 3-5 posts up or so)
Flag
I"m glad they didn't end the season on a cliffhanger, especially when there may not be a second season.
Flag
I was disappointed with this "business as usual" episode instead of a true season finale. Oh, and, by the way, the chrome technology has a flaw, since Minka Kelly wasn't engineering with the good-acting gene. But I thought the explanation given for her looks a brilliant move, and I'm glad the show acknowledged that.
Flag
Minka Kelly wasn't engineered with the good-acting gene, not "wasn't engineering."
Flag
Did anybody else get that Wyman was playing a bit with Fox? The evaluation of Dorian felt like an evaluation for themselves of the season. By saying he did well, got so much appraisal like: "You've received glowing reviews across the board", Dorian got renewed. (yes they used that word) Now how much of a self appraisal can they give us. Of course I fully agree with them.
Flag
Excellent observation, though personally my review would be less than glowing. A bit dim in some aspects.
Flag
I was disappointed with how it wrapped up. Because to me, it was like they told them after episode 12 - "Hey guys, wrap this thing up, you're not getting another season". It was a good story, but it just didn't leave anywhere for it to go, no 'drama'. I would love for this show to be renewed and let the throttle opened on the writing. Urban and Ealy have been great! This show has so much potential and could do very well if Fox gets behind it. If it's true that Fox wants to do more series at 13 episodes, then I don't see why they wouldn't bring this back next season. I'd like to see it earlier than later. Like kicking Fall season off in September.
Flag
I liked the season finale, even though I would have liked to know more about the wall or John's ex. The ending was very good. I am going to smash things if the show doesn't get renewed. Almost Human is one of my favourite shows on the air right now.
Flag
My reaction to the Almost Human finale... "That's it." All these episodes led to a throw away episode, no cliffhanger, no more stories about the artificial soul, what's on the other side of the wall, I had my fingers crossed for a terminator style spin off man vs machines, it seemed as if they were going to pull that trigger but backed off. Now I don't care if they get cancelled or renewed, let the cancellation bear have his feast.
Flag
As far as endings go it wasn't anything spectacular, but it was another good episode like all the rest have been.
It was also nice to see a cyborg, it seemed to go without saying that there would be some in a setting that's so advanced - but so far we hadn't heard of them much.
So yes, I'm definitely hoping for a second season.
Flag
I would of hoped the season finale had something to do with any of the established stories, but nope it gave us yet another storyline. I hope it gets renewed because shows starring Micheal Ealy have a real bad track record for getting canned. The show needs to further develop the arcs it has and not make more if it wants to "have a leg to stand on" (pun intended) and I hope it does, there aren't enough good syfy stuff on TV
Flag
Staff
Blade Runner vibe in this damn good season finale. I approve.
Flag
I agree the finale was weak, but it is a new series. I firmly believe the untied strings will be taken care of in the second season. I'm seriously praying for it to be renewed, I love the show and it's intriguing concepts!
Flag
Season finale was weak IMO. No loss if the show/series get axed.
Flag
I like this show and hope it gets renewed - but I agree that the season (or series) finale was not as grandios as I had hoped for, especially as there have been a few very intriguing plots left without closure. Once I realised from other comments in the web that the show was being shown out of sequence, I began to understand the pacing problems a little better, too. As I said, I hope it gets renewed, simply because it is a world worth exploring that's being shown here, and it has the potential to become something really great. Let's hope they will.
Flag
It was blatantly obvious, to me at least, that this episode was written with the possibility of not being renewed in mind. Wrap up a little mystery, leave a little mystery just in case. End on a high note, no cliffhanger. Cheesy way to go out, but I suppose when you only get an order of 13 episodes for your first season you've got to kind of play it close to the vest. Just in case.
Flag
John and Valerie were becoming close but now dating other people, this show is confusing.
Flag
gotta keep the sexual tension up for 3-4 season before anything happens and then gets awkward when one of them screws something up.
Flag
They showed the episodes out of order, it screws up the interpersonal relationships and character development (even some of the cute moments like Rudy's wanting to go undercover or John's getting closer to Dorian):
  • 1 Pilot (Ep 1)
  • 2 Skin (Ep 5)
  • 3 Are you Receiving? (Ep 6)
  • 4 The Bends (Ep 7)
  • 5 Blood Brothers (Ep 8)
  • 6 Arrhythmia (Ep 3)
  • 7 Simon Says (Ep 10)
  • 8 You Are Here (Ep 2)
  • 9 Unbound (Ep 9)
  • 10 Perception (Ep 4)
  • 11 Disrupt (Ep 11)
  • 12 Beholder (Ep 12)
  • 13 Straw Man (Ep 13)
Flag
what is the main plot behind this series.......i do not know, it just seems to be new cases that they have to solve with little bits here and there about the main story arc etc....

I have said it before in a comment of previous review that the pacing for this show is all wrong..they are taking to long to get main arc going...

The Blacklist is similar to this in the sense that each episode is about a new criminal on the list however they have the pacing much better..

i can see this getting cancel
Flag
This is a spot-on review, IMO. This show seems to shoot itself in the foot at nearly every opportunity, or at the very least seems to be the victim of network interference. ("We have notes!") They've introduced semi-tantalizing bits of uberplot(s) on several occasions, only to have them peter out unsatisfactorily or never be mentioned again.

Sure, I get that the season was fairly short and they shouldn't try to resolve all the Big Mysteries too quickly, but it all seems so disjointed somehow. I'd like to see more of the show but only if it can right its ship and be more focused on what it wants to say and how it goes about it. When it comes to those overarching plots, less is more (unless they become maddeningly drawn out ad infinitum). Pick one or two and keep slowly peeling away their layers. Stop introducing new ones all the time and then not delving into them more deeply as time passes.

And some sort of agreement needs to be reached with regards to who's in charge of determining the airing order of the episodes. I vote for the producers, of course. Firefly alone should be all that Fox needs to remember when they ask themselves who knows best about that sort of thing.

Finally, if they decide to keep Minka Kelly and her bad acting around solely for the sake of eye candy, fine. But can't someone tell her not to be half-smiling in virtually every scene? It's as though she has literally no other facial expression at all. It really annoys me.
More+
Flag
I think the season finale came to soon. But as the writer above states: there are not many question answered in each episode.
Flag
I agree with all your points, Cory. To me this show was a giant missed opportunity. (Emphasis on "was", since I think it won't get a second season.) The premise is a really good one and usually I like these kind of sci-fi shows, but this time I was only moderately entertained. I didn't hate the show, but it certainly didn't live up to my expectations.

One thing you didn't talk about now, but which you have mentioned before, is that they dramatically scrambled the episode order. Several episodes switched places which could be seen as a reason for the uneven season. But now that the season is over, and I think about how the episodes formed a disjointed story, I cannot imagine how the originally intended order would have made it much better. The crucial pieces of information that I was expecting to see during these 13 episodes are still missing, no matter in what order you arrange the episodes.

The only thing that didn't disappoint was Minka Kelly. Her performance was exactly as lacklustre as I expected. Boy, I have such a love-hate relationship with Minka. I hate her because she is among the worst actresses in Hollywood along with a few other beauties, like Megan Fox and Blake Lively. But on the other hand I love her because, you know, she is Minka Kelly! That doesn't require an explanation.
More+
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    500 Questions
    NEW
    ABC