An Almost Human Community
FOX (ended 2014)
Welcome back Almost Human! You have been sorely missed. A little bit of housekeeping before we dive into Unbound. This was episode 9 on the production order and miracle of miracles, it is the 9th aired. The episodes aired out of order haven't been a HUGE deal unlike they were for Firefly, until the last episode. If you remember, the last episode was #2 in the production order and there were some glaring problems with it being an episode JH Wyman wanted aired early. I won’t go into that – although there was one big continuity error when Kennex refers to the raid on the evidence locker “a couple months ago”. If #2 was aired when it should have – that would have made sense. I will just get this last point out of the way and then we will just enjoy the episode.

Next week we are going to see “Perception” which is #4 in the production order and 10th aired. The last 3 will be Insydicate arc heavy (allegedly) and should finish the season strong and in order. But there were many references this week to “Over There” and “The Wall”. Unless I missed something earlier, this is new information that is discussed like we should know what they are talking about. I will wager a bet – the next episode (remember it would have been aired 5 episodes ago) will give us the insight needed. I could kind of gather the city is walled in and it is a crazy Mad Max type wasteland outside the wall. This sounds a whole like Judge Dredd’s Mega City One …but since we have the new Dredd as Kennex, I will give it a pass. What I do not want to give a pass to is the genius at FOX who apparently is the guru in deciding the best order to air episodes. You give these guys a ton of money to write and produce shows for your network. Trust their vision. FOX did nothing to enhance my enjoyment of the show by placing the best episodes (their opinion – not mine) earlier. In fact – it detracted from it a bit. One more thing. Lose that awful boop beep boop music and terrible narration at the beginning. It is a nitpick, but it's really annoying. Ok. Housecleaning over. Let’s just jump in to Unbound:

I used to LOVE Field Trips as a kid. Anywhere is better than the classroom. But how cool would it be to have Karl Urban and Michael Ealy guiding the tour! Well – maybe just Kennex. Dorian had some lame ideas for fun. Kennex on the other hand?

Unfortunately, Dorian and the kids left on FOX after Almost Human ended…

We move to a sweet young lady buying a flower from a local vendor.

But as she walks away, she has her purse stolen and is brutally shot by what we later find out is a malfunctioning but extremely advanced “Worker Bot”. I’m not sure if this Bot committed the crime at a doughnut shop, but IMMEDIATELY it is surrounded by MXs. Quick note: How smart is it to make a circle around a subject and open fire towards the middle? Do bullets not hurt at all? They had to have plucked each other a few times! Logic based my ass. I digress…make their day.

So the Worker Bot is disabled and hauled away to the evidence locker. What they didn’t know was that it had an alternate power source and technology that is actually next, next, next Gen. This is something new.

But also something old - as it grabs a head stored in evidence, plops his off and gets a makeover.

The Fembot walks right out of the evidence locker and is identified on video by the coppers. Dorian can’t access any information – because it was all scrubbed and covered up long ago.

This was the XRN that malfunctioned and tore a public event apart, causing many casualties. It took 3 days for the cops to bring her down. The XRNs were designed to be soldiers, not cops, and simply too dangerous.

Meanwhile, our friendly XRN finds a lab where she is able to go all Frankenstein on the bots in the building. Again with the score in this show – kill the Terminator music when the XRN shows up. How about you fire the bunch and get Bear McCreary to score this show! Incidentally, I stopped hearing anything when this happened…

John Laroquette walks in and calls her Danika. He must either have been a big NASCAR or Wonder Years fan. She doesn’t kill him – which the first hint something may be amiss.

A call to the police is made and the victim is brought in to headquarters where an unexpected family reunion occurs.

When Rudy realizes who he is, he falls all over himself…

Nigel was the father of the DRNs. When they began to malfunction he was stripped of his contract, his funding, and in the end was bankrupt. Nigel talks about making the XRN when he was in a bad place, but in the end, the same blueprint was used to make the DRNs as was used to make the XRN.

Nigel has some obvious resentment issues. He even has a throwaway line about how he had a whole batch of DRNs ready to roll when he was fired. Rudy comes to his defense. He is not a fan of the MXs at all.

Danika has found herself a ride at a poor taxi driver’s expense. Silly Fembot. Forgot to turn the “In Service” light off. A mother and daughter jump in. Maybe not a good move.

AH! We find out a XRNs weakness! Vanity!

After checking her makeup, Danika makes her way into a Tech company and wastes a bunch of lab rats to acquire ZRNs – tippy tippy top of the line processors that are the future of synthetic technology. So it stands to reason she is stealing tech – but why?

Back in the CopLair, Rudy and Nigel put together some tech from Danika’s energy signature and they hope to be able to track her. Rudy plugs in his stick and, um…

Priceless!

From that same energy signature, Nigel creates a weapon of sorts.

The tracker begins to work – but Danika is heading to a part of town that is predominantly bars and restaurants. She arrives and spots her target. She is not out for Tech - she is out for an assassination.

Kennex and company arrive at the scene after shooting has already begun. He tells the MXs to provide a “distraction” which is Kennex code for “Go be a bullet catcher”. I don’t need many words for a while. This was one of the best little action scenes I have seen in a while. I’ll let the pics tell the story…

The weapon didn’t work and Nigel done disappeared.

Nice! I really enjoyed that exchange. Kennex using that synthetic leg to basically punt Danika 30 yards out the door was too cool.

Dorian makes a cute comment about his feelings towards things synthetic...

Quite clear John was talking much more about Dorian than he was about the leg.

We are back at the Justice League. A very little used Stahl finds some video where Danika’s target, James Hart, was the politician who ended Nigel’s program and hired his competition to build the MXs for the police. The motive was simple revenge. At the same time, Rudy discovers that all of his Synthetic Soul processors are missing. It becomes clear Nigel was behind all of this all along.

Dorian is not fairing very well, being betrayed by his maker.

Dorian is supremely worried, because Nigel said they were built the same, that he could go off the rails as badly as Danika did. And it disturbs him deeply.

Over the length of the episode you have heard the aforementioned “Wall”. And now the team believes that Nigel isn’t going to just disappear. He now may have what he needs to build an army of synthetics. He has the box of Synthetic Souls AND the advanced processors. All he needs is a lab.

But where could he do that and get off the grid? Over the wall. And it sounds like a scary place.

And that is EXACTLY where Nigel went.

Been a pleasure gang! Glad our show is back. Check in next Tuesday for the photo recap of Perception. Until then…

Edshrinker

***As of Tuesday, Almost Human rated a 1.9 in the target demo, 6th place behind 4 CBS sitcoms and ABC's Castle. This was down .3 from that last episode, but layoffs will do that. Not terrible, but the hope is to stay North of 2.0 to guarantee renewal.

In case you missed it:
ALMOST HUMAN: You Are Here (PHOTO RECAP)
115 Comments
Comments (115)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
A girl fight last week, a YAWN boring show this week, No wonder it is on the bubble...

Why didn't they follow Nigel who was on the run with the Synthetic Soul processors. I want to say WOW at the end of these episodes, not sit there and watch kids talking.

Did anyone like last nights talking show without any action?

Flag
In the show's defense - this was episode 4 in production order - so the Nigel thing didn't happen yet if Wyman's plan was followed. I am going to re-watch in order when it is over.
Flag
Absolutely. I thought it was the best yet. Some story arc (inSyndicate and the ambush), all the tech, interesting twist at the end. I don't need stuff all blowed all up to love this show.
Flag

No continuation last night with the previous week which was action packed and pretty good. John Larroquettewas the crazy scientist and got away with a good story arc that should have been followed up. Sorry, but last night's show where it was talking to a bunch of teens is not my idea of entertainment.

Flag
Recommend less pics and less housekeeping in reviews. Just my 2 cents.

There's a wall??? Where the Dorian did a wall come from?

Please please please, show people, remember that this story is not so far in the future. We've just discovered our super smart and emotional AI can do things Terminator style. Kennex is fitting into this world less and less. There's only so much........

Flag
Lordy I hope the show gets picked up for a second season because its one of the best new shows. OK so some genius at Fox decided to alter the order of episodes but it hasn't been dreadfully noticeable on the whole and its really starting to step up a gear now.
Flag
Yes, very upside potential, but last night stunk and no follow-up with chasing Nigel.
Flag
Don't you just love it when a TV show, whose showrunner has a background in Fringe, starts talking about The Other Side?
Flag
That and the White Tulip have me jonesing for FRINGE so bad...
Flag
And it just reminds us how good Fringe was compared to other TV shows.
Flag
Also, I almost forgot about the synthetic leg. When he kicked her that far I was going to call shenanigans until Dorian mentioned it. lol
Flag
Another great recap, keep up the good work dude!

Funny you should mention the title sequence, it has been grating on me since day one but this was the episode where I thought to myself 'GET RID OF THIS ALREADY!' lol

I too thought I'd missed something with the wall reference. Think when the seasons ended I'll change the episode order on my hard drive and watch them in production order rather than aired order and see how that goes.
Flag
Right with you, brother. I think it will have more momentum in the right order. Wyman is a bright, creative guy. He put them in order for a reason.
Flag
I gotta mention the flowers that the lady/victim purchased were "White Tulips" (Fringe, I miss you so!) and every time they said "over there" my heart sank further - miss you Alternate Universe!

Back to Almost Human. Oh yes, finally an episode with a tiny bit of mythology (and when I say tiny - I mean teeny tiny) and a to be continued ending.
However, I'm sadly at the point where I no longer go into AH with any excitement so even this somewhat serialised thread was just meh...typical AH shenanigans! A show about RoboCops that is most likely heading for a battle of bad RoboCops vs good RoboCops as it's grand first season arc? Talk about predictable and underwhelming!
Someone mentioned in a comment on another website a little while back that Almost Human feels like a show about "the future" the way people imagined it in the 70s & 80s. That is absolutely spot on (right down to the as you Ed call it "terminator music"/score which is apparently done by The Chemical Brothers who have put out much better music in the past) and given that "Blade Runner" was the inspiration behind it and one of J.H. Wymans all-time favourites, it all makes sense.
Unfortunately these days - that 80's future approach comes off silly and the show still does way too much of "trying really hard to be funny" for my taste. There's just nothing deep or profound in AH and science fiction needs to be grounded in humanity and emotions for me to get invested.

I will continue watching because I know that J.H. Wyman is capable of greatness (ahem...Fringe) but somehow - greatness - doesn't seem like something he is aiming towards with this show (right now). Or maybe that greatness only comes out when he teams up with other great writers from the BadRobot family and not so much in solo ventures. I guess we'll find out soon enough!

A pretty solid episode for Almost Human but still very mediocre TV when compared to J.J. Abrams' winners.

Always nice to read your reviews though, Ed. Thank you :-)
More+
Flag
Your welcome, Mirela!

I have heard some vile comments about FRINGE's first season as well. Many hated it - Noble was chewing scenery, Olivia was stiff and boring, Peter was just Pacey... I agree with NONE of that - but there is a pretty loud group who does. If I remember - they totally ditched "The Pattern" mytharc for really procedural, Fringe event of the week. And I still loved it! All I can say is, airing it out of order really seems to take the momentum out of it. And the last 3 eps will really dig get the mytharc rolling (much like Fringe's season 1 finale). See it through and if the mythology doesn't deepen - I will be right with you in being disappointed.
Flag
I watched Fringe season 1 after season 2, and it was not bad at all. Nothing wrong with any of the performances (quite the opposite I'd say). I think it just took some people time to get into it, especially as things were starting to build, rather than being obviously there.
Flag
to add.... I say season 1 was not bad. It was actually great, verging on TV greatness. It was just not as brilliant as 2 or 3.
Flag
And those that said John Noble "chewed scenery" like it is a bad thing ...should be sent to the Alt Verse. Grrr.
Flag
Yes, I gotta agree. Season 1 of Fringe was all over the place and then that finale just took my breath away. I didn't start loving Fringe until midway through S2 though. I didn't hate it but I found it too procedural. One thing I really liked right away with Fringe were the characters. AH characters are very stereotypical (especially Kennex & Stahl) but you're definitely right - it's probably first season jitters and the screwy episode order didn't help. Although now that we've only got ep 4 (which will most likely deal with the Wall) to go, hopefully the last three will be better.
I'm definitely gonna give AH a proper chance and even if S1 finale doesn't turn out to be great, I'd like to see it renewed because S2 will probably be much better. I'll keep watching it that's for sure. :)
Flag
I don't really understand this point of view.

Season 1 (in my opinion) was not all over the place at all. If anything, it was following a very clear path (which was very obvious given that I saw Season 2 first).

I can understand some may not have had the patience for it, because it was probably more enjoyable knowing WHY the things in season 1 were happening.

Funnily enough, on the negative aspects of Fringe, for me it is quite the opposite. Season 1 and 2 built up a whole story with the ZDF part, Sam Weiss and the 'first peoples'. Season 3 and 4 never actually finished that story.

In effect we kind of have 3 unfinished stories with Fringe. 1) ZDF, Jones' motivation, Sam Weiss 2) William Bell's motivation 3) Peter finding Walter 'disappeared' (finale).

One story kind of didn't exactly finish before a new one started.

Still, it was such a brilliant series this really is nit picking.
Flag
@MirelaPilipo good read in post below.

The 1, 2 and 3 you list are spot on, but for me what you describe are not conclusions to the stories, but what we learn along the way.

We never really understand DRJ's devotion.

We are never told WHY the First People manuscripts are sent back. The machines is used for a purpose that does not seem linked to the manuscript or anything Sam revealed.

The William Bell story ended because he disappeared, but again there was no conclusion to the story.

And the link (if there was ever supposed to be a link) between the 1, 2 and 3 was never explored.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved the show. What I'm getting at really is that Season 5 was a massive disappoinment for me, because I really thought it would be the conclusion to those 3 stories and / or a re-re set for Peter and co, and perhaps explore the creation of the shape shifters more (which also never really was concluded, other than we learned Altlivia sent them).
Flag
1. ZFT - David Robert Jones stuff as well as "The Pattern" all had to do with the Alternate Universe - where DRJ ultimately wanted to go to impress and then kill his former mentor/boss and the guy he was obsessed with, William Bell.
2. Sam Weiss' story was completely finished. Him and his ancestors were the ones who discovered the "The First People" scattered manuscripts. Walter sent them back through time in timeline # 1 along with the pieces of the machine. Sam also helped the Fringe team in timeline # 2 future by keeping the signal going that lead Walter & co to find Michael, the young Observer (Septembers son from both timelines).
3. William Bell's story was completed in timeline #1 and the Bell we saw in timeline #2 was just an insane/exaggerated version of original Bell. It was a "what if" scenario like most of the new timeline in S4.
I GET WHAT YOU MEAN THOUGH. I was not a big fan of the S4 "reset" and the fact that we never reverted to the original timeline.
4. We know that Peter simply goes to the lab and Walter is just no longer there because he becomes a paradox and lives out the rest of his life in the year 2167.

I didn't really express myself properly in the comment above. What I meant to say is that it took a while for Fringe to find its groove in Season 1. Once the parallel universe thing got revealed it was very good storytelling. It just took a while to tie in that the whole "pattern" thing was related to the alternate universe.
More +
Flag
it's a bit of a stretch but I really hope that workbot was an homage to galaxy express 999.
Flag
the entire episode i kept saying "what wall?"

Did they introduce this concept earlier and i missed it? when did the almost human world become equillbirum or every other future show that has an utopian vs dangerous nether region society?
Flag
Was the worker-bot always a woman? Nah, it wasn't. But apparently mounting Danika's head also prompted the shrinking of the midriff and the growth of breasts. Curious.
Flag
Do all the MXs have the same voice?! I didn't notice until that scene in the evidence locker and I was all WTH?! The black MX and the Asian MX have the same voice. That is some Uncanny Valley type shit! Creepy as fuck.
Flag
I think that is EXACTLY what JH Wyman was shooting for. And they ARE!
Flag
I really liked this episode. Kennex and Dorian are pure gold together. Also Kennex keeps showing character growth and is less moody, more humorous, starting to accept and maybe appreciate his artificial leg and most important is his continuously growing bond of respect, care, and friendship with Dorian. His subtle concern for Dorian is touching. Dorian continuing to be more human than human and his worry about his mental health comes across as very realistic.

Also THE WALL! I can't wait to learn more about The Wall and what is on the other side. It was obvious to me that Nigel was a "bad guy" but I don't care that it was obvious. I like stand alone procedurals but I am seeing how, with The Wall and The Syndicate, the stories will get more serialized which should be excellent. I just hope it gets renewed for a 2nd season.
Flag
Pretty sure The Wall and Insyndiate will be the main arc to finish the season AFTER next week. Eps 11-13.
Flag
Gina Carano! Android fight! That was Awesome!!! with a capital A. Can someone in TV land give Gina a lead role? I mean she could be the next Xena. I hope she comes back to Almost Humans. The head is still intact right?

Flag
Damn effin right it is! ;-p
Flag
ed you kinda ignored the future of our time's 3d printing with that flower scene ;) and it needs water how advanced :)

This episode's plot was so Arik Soong with Augments from Star Trek Enterprise, i was screaming "oh yeah that's a female Khan for ya", well...in my head :) Too bad she only lasted 1 ep.

Ps : In Star Trek, Khan is ancestor to both arik and noonian soong. Arik is also responsible for creating genetically engineered super humans. He couldnt let go of his creations and tried to lead them. When he failed, he helped Cap. J. Archer to stop them, and switched from genetics to synthetics in the end. He is the great-grandfather of Noonian Soong who created android Data in Star Trek The Next Generation.
Flag
True. But really cool lasers doing it IS not our present. And I don't know of a street vendor with this tech. therefore - FUTURE TECH.

I like where you are going with the ST angle - but remember - they made an effort to show Danika's melon intact. If Gina Carano is available - we may see her again. Who knows what Nigel's "fleet" of DRNs looked like.
Flag
Would they be DRNs or XRNs and Nigel said that there was nothing different, but Dorion does not give me the idea that he could hole up for three days inside a building and fight off swarms of MXs. But his counter part XRN could
Flag
I think those soul things are from his psyche. He probably had a procedure to copy his brain waves or something. He said he was vengeful when he created that XRN but more balanced when creating DRNs.
Flag
That's why I used "the future of our time's 3d printing" :)

Her "melon" is damaged but I agree. Now let's wonder if they'd pull something from Star Wars, maybe a "storm trooper clone army" move. An XRN Army of Gina Caranos :D
Flag
In fishnets and corsets ;-p
Flag
I'm not sure if anyone has commented on this, I skimmed through the comments quickly and didn't see anything, but the first scene at the florists... the laser thingy... it's creating a TULIP... A WHITE TULIP. I freaked out when I saw that. Love J.H. Wyman throwing in Fringe references.
Flag
Damn.

Thats why I love these discussions. Even days after watching these episodes you still learn new stuff about them. I totally did not notice that.
Flag
Fringe lives :)
Flag
Always on my hard drive.
Flag
Oh my dog - you are right! Great catch! Awe crap. Now having FRINGE sadness.
Flag
I like the nod to Terminator where Dorian got run through with rebar. I'm with you guys about the music though, the show deserves something more original, You can honor Terminator without that music, we don't need to be prompted to get the adrenaline of the moment. And thanks to ManojMajhi for that pic.
Flag
I know! That was a great screencap. I'm hiring him for my next review. I will give him my full salary! (that would be $0.00...in American dollars)
Flag
Thanks to other more observant reviewer who noted the wall referred to in the episode in the title sequence here. Looking more carefully it appears to be a single city block. Not a wall like in Judge Dredds Cursed Earth. It reminds me of Terminal City in Dark Angel. It is an interesting new element to the Almost Human story arc.
undefined

Flag
I don't see it. I see an expressway (you can see the bottom of the buildings under the road).. Looking in the bottom left. Am I looking in the right place?
Flag
Look to the darker area top left hand corner of the image before the water.
Flag
YES! Good eye gang. But boy - never would have noticed without your help! Looks like it's not a desert wasteland - but just another part of the city. Color me SUPER intrigued now!
Flag
Thanks guys for these wall pics. But is it in all the title sequences since the start? (forgetting about order)
Flag
sorry about those double posts my pc crapped out as i posted the image lol. anyway, yeah it,s a shame some are out of order. i had no idea until you said it but i knew something was off. i hope it doesn't cause it to go the firefly route. i need something fringe like im my life to fill the void and almost human does it perfectly.
Flag
No COMMENT button for that last post, Gavin. But they have apparently, very stealthily set this up. I hope there was no intended reveal in Ep 4. I am really warming up to the intro to this plot point.
Flag
Hey guys, after reading your thought on the other side of the wall I went back and was able to screencap an even closer look of the other side. It's blatantly on the right here. Obviously, theres alot of broken down buildings and perhaps even no electricity?

And go here -- http://i.imgur.com/SQ92kcx.png -- if you want to see the full size image.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Flag
Thanks for the review !

This was the best episode yet and I thought that it was a two-parter and we will see Nigel back next week. I was so excited to watch next week's episode. Now I am bum to hear that next week we will not get to see the continuation of this week story. I am assuming episode 11 will then continue the story.

This series really needs an season arch story to make viewers invested.

I am excited about "the wall" plot and hope they will expand on it ! I will keep watching and hope there is a season 2.

Flag
I think you can book it as per my "friend" at FOX programming. !1-13 will be in order - and Wyman really wanted 9-13 to be in order. So it is a good bet we'll get more Nigel/Wall arc in 2 weeks. Next week we finally get to cloning and a Valarie Stahl episode.
Flag
The best part of last night was seeing the girl robot in her bra and panties, nice butt.

Too many good concept shows are ruined by giving the lead to a woman that would be better played by a man. It Is Becoming Such A Cliché.

The role would be much stronger if a male was cast as the robot. Seeing a mini-girl play tough cop robot is just stupid. Size matters.

Flag
Well.... you need to watch some of her fights:
  1. against Kaitlin Young
  2. Julie Kedzie
  3. or Kelly Kobold, there are some more out there...
If you still think that she doesn't know how to fight I don't know what else to say. I'm sure she could hold her own agains most men (Though not against a male MMA fighter).
The only bigger (taller) thougher looking woman that comes to mind is Gwendoline Christie who plays Brienne on GoT. No one can say she would be too small at 6ft3.

Also: She plays a robot. even a small robot can be very powerful. So why cast a big hunky actor? Sizes doesn't really matter in a robot. At least not the size difference between a woman and a man. If you want to argue for size, I would opt for a Transformer. Thats a proper size difference.
Flag
And much nicer to look at then some dude (realizing your difference of opinion, ladies!)
Flag
especially in a corset and fishnets :P
Flag
The woman in a fishnet and/or corset is much nicer to look at than a guy in the same clothes.
Flag
The girl or the Dude? (in fishnets)
Flag
Disagree. Gina Carano could kick both of our asses while eating a sandwich. They promo'd it as GINA CARANO. I bought her being a bad ass hook line and corsette.
Flag
That is where I remember her from... Haywire movie. Budget: $23,000,000 (estimated) Gross: $18,934,858

There are lots of theories about why broadcasters are losing adult viewers: Maybe network shows just aren't what they used to be.

This episodewe get a subtle sexism sub-message that men are weak and woman are stronger and better.

All the smart people are playing xbox or watching sports, yep that's us men, and that leaves a liberal leaning and female audience who can't notice or want reverse sexism. Too many girl action heroes has become the fad, until the sponsors realize they are losing the male 18-45 market, the market they want the most.

Trying to social engineer gender roles kills shows.

Flag
That is certainly true - but with Carano, there isn't any engineering needed. She is a world class fighter. The only time I didn't look at her as JUST an ass kicking bot was when she was showing off the S&M wardrobe. If anything - the engineering occured when they tried to make her MORE feminine. Just my $0.02
Flag
Corset. Sorry for the typo. I don't talk about those much. (Except on weekends with my sexbots). ;-p
Flag
Flag
The ONLY reason I can think that they aired these episodes out of order is because in this day & age TOO many shows are cancelled after only a couple episodes if they don't get big ratings right out of the gate. I would have been very sad if this would have happened with this show because it has been one of my favs from the beginning. Luckily it's not because I have to follow the storyline so closely as with other shows (Blacklist, Person Of Interest, Etc.) it's because I just enjoy it. The interaction between Dorian & Kennex make me LMAO every episode. So, if putting an episode about "sexbots" on earlier than it was supposed to be to get ratings up saved this show from being cancelled then I thank FOX for doing it. I also said to my wife while watching it that I didn't remember them saying ANYTHING about "the wall" before but it didn't bother me either. I just assumed they were setting up the story for the finale that will be them going up against this army of robots that comes over the wall or something like that. As long as the last 2 or 3 episodes are at the end where they should be so it finishes strong & HOPEFULLY gets renewed THEN they can get into the Kennex/Stahl romance & whatever other storylines NEXT season.
More+
Flag
I hear you. And it won't dull my enthusiasm. But I do not see where the rearranged eps did anything for the show. Skin was great, but so was You Are Here which should have been the 2nd ep - and would have made much more sense. I just don't get where FOX Bigwig gets to decide which are the BEST episodes. Because that Dude, IMHO, is wrong.
Flag
I hear you too! I have enjoyed EVERY episode to some degree. Every show has some episodes better than others. I just HOPE rearranging episodes like this does not start happening more often. In a time where new shows are often judged on the ratings of the first couple episodes then they SHOULD have strong episodes right away but they also need to set up the storylines. Those storylines are hard enough to follow on other shows that air in order, I couldn't imagine trying to follow a show like The Blacklist if they would have aired those episodes out of order. There are hundreds of stories of "legendary" TV shows (ala Breaking Bad) that had terrible ratings to begin with but, given the chance were great shows later on. I'm just saying IF that was the reasoning FOX had for doing it to this show & that kept it on for a full season then I'm glad in this case that it wasn't TOO confusing. Just don't let this become a normal practice for other new shows when they SHOULD just give new shows a chance to develop before pulling the trigger! Now, I feel like someone needs to put up a chart of how the episodes SHOULD have aired so that when the season is over, I can rewatch the season in order! LOL!
More +
Flag
By far Almost Human's best episode to date, in my humble opinion. If this show dropped the random filler episodes and actually focused on the story (which actually seems interesting), it would be so much better.
Flag
YOu are right. I want to rewatch the series in the correct order and see if it flows better and more like an arc. They had to establish characters and they decided to do it procedurally. Much like FRINGE did. i have faith - sounds like you did too. :)
Flag
I don't think we should assume that we were supposed to know about the Wall prior to this episode. I guess we won't know until next week, but even knowing that episodes had been airing out of order, I didn't think the way they started dropping references to it in this episode was weird. It was actually kind of cool, and added a sense of, I don't know, creepy mysteriousness, I guess. Because up until now, I know I was assuming this was just a futuristic, regular Los Angeles, and that there were still other cities out there just like any other. When you realized, by their casual references to the Wall, that that may not be true - I thought that was really neat. I will actually be a little disappointed if that's not how they intended to introduce the Wall. We should also consider that, even if the Wall is explained in the next episode, that a decision to air this episode first was specifically made for this very effect I just described.
Flag
I love that. Yeah - we'll know for sure next week when ep #4 airs...but after a couple rewatches to do my review - I am 50/50. Maybe this is how they intended it to be explored. In hindsight, I am down with that. But it was strange. But when I think how Wyman introduced the AltVerse in FRINGE ...this would make sense. That was out of nowhere as well.
Flag
I'm all good with this episode. It mixed Gina Carano, corsages and a fight so whatever else they did is besides the point. I just hope she returns. And all the way through there I was begging for them not to kill her off - but since the head remains, we can hope for a return.
Flag
Starts with head - ends with head. Wait. I might want to rephrase that. :-p
Flag
Yeah, you should ;)
But then again, it's what's in between that really entertained us.
Flag
It's funny, I had the same thought about the MX's firing circle but whatever, I was quickly distracted by, "Hey, it's Gina Carano!!! I wonder what jarhead character she's gonna play here?". That girl can't act out of a wet paper bag, but give her fishnets and a corset and she'll rock that ALL day EVERY day! So much so that I won't ask how she managed to put her shirt on under her the flack jacket she put on for no other reason than to show off her...umm...assets.

Whoever decided about the episode order need to be fired immediately! I know there was a mention prior about being "off the grid" but I didn't think that meant on the other side of an actual 50 foot wall. You'd think that...wait, there's no reason to go on a rant. This isn't the show's fault, it's Fox's!

As for the episode. Apparently in the future they don't have Netflix and didn't pay attention to John Larroquette's career path. Unless his name is Dan Fielding, you've gotta know he's gonna be the villain.

Even if the main plot was awfully predictable, this was a solid episode. Anything that furthers the relationship between Kennex and Dorian and further explores the "humanity" of Dorian and other cyborgs gets my full support.
More+
Flag
That was really well said. I didn't even notice they were playing Terminator music once I saw the outfit. Hey. If she ca't act, have her show the body and fight. They knew her strengths!

Abso-effin-lutely on the "genuis" in charge of decideiing ep order. NOw if there is no mention next week (Ep #4) of the wall - then I guess it was JH Wyman trying to add some mystery in a strange way - all in one episode. So...if so - then I'll be critical of the show. But like I said - I have a sneaking suspicion it will be in the next ep and out of order.
Flag
Well, to be fair to Mrs Carano, she does play an emotionless robot here. So not much of facial expressions needed. And since she is a former MMA fighter I prefer her in roles where she can beat someone up. The fishnets were a not really needed bonus ;)
Flag
Ya, that's what I mean. Since stepping out of the cage and into TV/movies, emotionless (robot or otherwise) is pretty much her bread and butter...and it's not really by choice. She can't act. She can beat the crap out of most people and look sexy as all get out doing it...and if we're honest, that's the only reason she gets calls from casting directors.

I don't hold that against her, just acknowledgement of the reality that an MMA fighter (or any pro athlete for that matter) doesn't translate in a quality actor.
Flag
It doesn't necessarily translate to a quality actor. And I agree it doesn't in the case of Gina Carano.
But you have to respect her attempt to make a career in a business that offers more money and a longer future than cagefighting. I hope she makes it. And I think (hope) that she and her agent knows what her niche is.
And I for one enjoy her immensely in her niche, and a role like this one is just perfect for her. Little acting but lots of fighting. No fishnets required :D
Flag
Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing but respect for her which extends beyond the fact I think she's a total smoke show.

I put here somewhere between many wrestlers turned actors (Steve Austin & John Cena) and other MMA fighers who have done the same (Randy Couture & Tito Ortiz). She doesn't have the charisma of wrestlers, who are by and larger entertainers so that makes sense and doesn't have the pedegree of Couture or Ortiz. But she sure looks good on film, which is pretty much the only reason she gets cast...which is fine. There are lots of actors (male and female) who without their looks would be unemployed.

A role like this is perfect. Not too much speaking. No real actual acting required. Just go out, beat people up and look good.

She can start looking forward to when the women's 'Expendables' starts making calls, cause she's gotta be awfully close to a no brainer.
Flag
Thank you for explaining the episode order. I have yet met a tv show that I couldn't follow, and I wouldn't have expected Almost Human to be it. The way they talked about the Wall as if I was mentioned in every episode completely threw me.
Anyway, best episode so far, loved the bot fight, and it's great to get a bigger story arc. I'm not a fan of procedurals, and I felt that while the bromance and car trips with Dorian and John were fun, the week by week cases are not that gripping. So I'm really hoping there is more to all this than Nigel being a bad guy, and that there is corruption behind the MRXs too, the politician and whoever created them. Changing the order has done a disservice to this show, which is easily one of the better shows from last year and probably the best scifi show airing. I hope it gets picked up for next year.
Flag
Amen sister. I can't fathom why FOX thiks they have people that know the show better than the writer. I get they want to draw and audience. Bu the order it was put in (instead of Wyman's order....and in the padt, Whedon's order) in done for a reason. I get so mad I can't help myself (turning...GREEN) - trust your writers!!!!!
Flag
If you look closely at the image of the city you see when the show first starts it shows the wall and the other side and it looks like the buildings are all from our time and not the futurist buildings, if you could call them that, on the side the story has taken place so far. So I get the idea that they are not as advance or are kept from advancing.
Flag
Yeah. I'm thinking troglodytes. Tech is banned. Be a cool contrast.
Flag
The wall sounded like a place that is mixture of Surrogates and Doomsday, behind the wall live people who are homicidal but free of androids. Who needs Terminators when everybody is Mad Max!
Flag
Nice! I hope so!.. Remember the shock of "over there" in the finale of season 1 of FRINGE!
Flag
You're so right. Showing these episodes out of order served no purpose whatsoever. Also, in addition to finding out about the wall, we'll likely find out about the aforementioned genetic make-up of Stahl - out of order.

Also, enjoyed the recap!
Flag
Next week is Stahl centric from I I have read. Mmm. More Minka. More Kennerie. Stannex. Valohn. Oh 'ell I give up. Someone suggested Jolarie - that is the best one.
Flag
I am glad I am not the only one who felt like I missed something, they talked about "the wall" like it's been in the series all along. As far as I can remember they have never mentioned or eluded to it at all so far.
Flag
Good. I would really felt like a doofus if someone came back, "Yeah - they explained all that HERE". I was damn sure it had never been mentioned. But just wait. Like I said, next week is a Valarie-centric story and I bet it comes up. Should have been aired 2 months ago.
Flag
Perception. (Ep #4) Not this one This one was right where it was supposed to be.
Flag
That would make sense I suppose. But if its as important as it seems to be you would think a) they wouldn't had left ep 4 air so late in the order and b) that it would have been at least mentioned in passing in eps 5-8
Flag
Very true - because the whole "genetically enhanced" mention by Dick was the last ep (but the 2nd in production order). So if Effin FOX left the order alone, we'd have had hints in week 2 and the payoff in episode 4. That sounds perfect. As I said in my review - I just don't get how some "episode order phenom" decides this and not the one with the vision for show.
Flag
Staff
We touched up your featured images for you. More info on how you can edit these after posting can be found here. Check out your post on the homepage! :)
Flag
Thanks Jessica. I tried to d/l huge image files but it never seems to work. I'll look it back over.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    The Carmichael Show President Trump
    NEW
    NBC
  • 9:00 pm
    American Ninja Warrior
    NEW
    NBC