We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

An Almost Human Community
FOX (ended 2014)
In this weeks review of Almost Human episode "50 Shades of Purple", Cory Barker said: "I hope Fox gives Almost Human a chance to find its footing". I completely agree with him. As a European, I know nothing about the American rating system, probably I should read up on it because the numbers make no sense to me. But next to the ratings having dropped a bit, I do expect Almost Human to see pretty huge DVR gain, as Sci-fi shows typically do.

When I did my research for Synrynx2 and my articles on Philip K. Dick (A Mastermind, But Underrated for Television? and Dreams of the Future), I ran into the few sci-fi television series where humans cops were assisted by humanoid cops. Two thing were very obvious, there have been only a few over the last decades and none of them got a second season. Just to be sure, I'm talking about series where humans play the roles and not animated series.

Next week we'll have the four-episode test for Almost Human, but for me it is already certain I will continue to watch. I'm also pretty sure tv.com will give it's approval. But will Almost Human make it into a second season? History doesn't favour it.

These are the only ones I know of:
Holmes & Yoyo is an American comedy television series that aired on ABC for 13 episodes in 1976. Richard B. Shull was detective Alexander Holmes, an accident prone, police officer who always managed to send every partner he ever had to the hospital. The police department then decided to try out a new robotic police officer in the guise of detective Gregory "Yoyo" Yonovich as Holme's partner. During one of their first calls, Yoyo is shot and Holmes discovers that his new partner is an android, a sophisticated new crime-fighting machine designed by the police department as their secret weapon on crime. One of the running gags on the show was having Officer Maxine Moon as played by Andrea Howard, making passes at Yoyo with very little success.

Mann & Machine is an American cop series that aired on NBC for nine episodes in 1992. Yancy Butler was sergeant Eve Edison, a beautiful police officer who is also a sophisticated gynoid robot capable of learning and emotion. It takes place in a Los Angeles of the near future of 1992, probably around the beginning of the 21st century. While solving a variety of crimes, the two detectives learn from each other. Of course the ongoing (sub)plot of the series focused on Eve's continuing education about what makes humans tick, and her ever-growing capacity for emotion. The series was pulled from NBC's schedule after only four episodes. The remaining five were aired as summertime filler.

Future Cop is an American series that aired on ABC for eight episodes over the period of 1976 tom 1978. The pilot was shown in 1976, six episodes in 1977 and a kind off re-pilot in 1978. Regrettably that didn't work out. It had Ernest Borgnine as a veteran street cop who gets an experimental android, played by Michael Shannon, for his new partner. Despite the show's high concept, the leads normally battled ordinary criminals like drug dealers and mobsters rather than super-villains.

I know there are many series where a humanoid robot might turn up as a help, Like Hymie in Get Smart or deputy Andy in Eureka, but they do not really team up for the whole series as in Almost Human.

Is Almost Human better?

I think it is. The show gave as enough to keep watching like the small humorous moments, the camaraderie between Karl Urban and Michael Ealy, a world that looks a bit dystopian and they have crimes (ok, not in the last episode) that are futuristic. The new tech seems understandable from our point of view and I find that an advantage. The special effects are top-notch and off course we've got Minka Kelly.

And, before we all think that Fox and Sci-fi is not a great combination, this is not Firefly and Fox might have learned a bit over the last ten years. But yes, in my opinion we can still be mad at Fox for canceling Firefly.

So yes, I think Almost Human will make it into a second season. What do you think?
67 Comments
Comments (67)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
You had me at Minka Kelly
Flag
Yeah, I seem to remember you mentioned her before (and so you should) :-)
Flag
Nope. I don't think it will make it, and if not, this time I can't really blame Fox. This show has no over arching story arc or even coherent theme to keep bringing people back every week. Some of the tech is cool, and the banter can be amusing, but to keep people interested and setting up their DVR's or watching it live week after week, their going to need a deeper mythos.

I hope they can turn it around, but I'm really surprised at the story telling here since this is made by the people who did Fringe.
Flag
You're absolutely right that it is pretty procedural up to know, but there are great possibilities to get some kind of arc in. The future must have some kind of Lex Luthor or Sens8. Until know they keep me amused enough with the procedural way, but they will need something else as they might not have enough real futuristic crimes they can think of.
Flag
Honestly love the disconnect in the sets and the tech. The people live in a gritty world, the MX androids are almost too shiny, too perfect. The DRN Dorian is a great contrast as he literally slips into the world much easier than his less human successors.

I am quickly falling for this show, which I am following via Amazon Video. (I work during its regular airtime.)
Flag
It's still going strong enough so I'm still expecting/hoping it will be continued after season 1. these kind of series have so much potential.
Flag
There are a couple of other shows that team human and android cops together. First is the awesome Total Recall 2070, which sadly also lasted only a season and the very good TekWar which managed fours mini-series type seasons before biting the bullet. Although the latter might also fit into the "assisted" rather than "partnered" category.
Flag
Yes, Total Recall 2070 was a huge mistake that was immediately and justly shoved into my face by my co-writer @Syrinx2 of the Philip K. Dick posts. See the first comment on the bottom of the page. It was a bit stupid and hilarious :-) .

TekWar indeed didn't pass as it wasn't a cop(detective) one and didn't have a robot partner.

Until now, Almost Human dies s good job!
Flag
I hope it does! I'm falling in love with this show!
Flag
Although the quality what I would like to see (cases and arc on sci-fi/future elements) got less over the last weeks, I still hope so too. This at least because it has the potential to have these elements and other series do not.
Flag
Did it break it? Will Almost Human have a 2nd season? What do you know Rolamb? :)
Flag
There's no news at all yet, Fox is keeping it completely silent.
Flag
Oh! Tnx anyway!
Flag
How would crime rate at 400% city should look like? Does it mean that an average person might get robbed, stabbed, shot, and raped all by 4 different criminals? If 2048 LA is 400%, then Mega-City One must 1000%. Just sayin. I love the show. You had me at "robots" and "cops". I'm 400% in.
Flag
That's one way of looking at increased crime :-). personally I think the burglar comes back four nights in a row to get what he/she couldn't take last time. But maybe there are even other ways they'll do it.
Flag
Does anyone know, how many episodes the first season of Almost Human, is going to be? All that is listed is 6. If that is all, this show is in trouble. Which is a real shame, because it's really good. It's already in my top 5 must watch list. If they are just taking a mid-season break, it could still be in trouble, depending on how long of a break. FOX screwing up again. Doesn't any of these networks ever learn?
Flag
No idea. They are airing the episodes in a different order.

The episode order announced so far:
Episode 1 - Pilot
Episode 5 - Skin
Episode 6 - Are You Receiving?
Episode 7 - The Bends
Episode 8 - Blood Brothers
Episode 3 - Arrhythmia

After that, it's guessing.
Flag
If the theory that Coulson is a life model decoy is correct, you can add Marvel's Agents of SHIELD to your list. I'm stretching the definition of "cops" a little, but still...
Flag
FOX not only gave "The Following" a chance they gave it a 2nd season! THAT SHOW IS HORRIBLE! So yeah give this show a shot Fox!
Flag
I think the show has had a great start. I find it engaging and interesting but most of all realistic. Maybe I like it mainly because its headlined by a few great actors, Urban, Ealy & Kelly. I think Mackenzie Crook adds a lot to the mix as well, he does obscure characters, I was expecting the Tech-savvy role but hadn't pictured it portrayed by him nor in the way it has been. I think the shows' strengths far out way its weaknesses. I'm hoping for a few seasons to come.
Flag
I really enjoyed Almost Human so far. I too hope it will not get cancel. The first wish would always be they show the entire first season and then hope for a second season.

The more I watch the show, the more I appreciate the title of the series "Almost Human". The title of TV drama shows or even movies do not always make sense but this one definitely does !

Let's hope the internet buzz will bring more viewers and ratings !

Flag
Rolamb, for a European I'm impressed with your knowledge of American TV (at least sci fi TV), especially shows from nearly 40 years ago! I was a TV-watching, sci fi-reading nerdy teen then and neither Holmes and Yoyo nor Future Cop ever even got on my radar. Other shows you mentioned came out since living in Japan where my access to American TV was limited and thus I never watched them.

But thanks to the internet (and mostly http://www.free-tv-video-online.me) I'm able to keep better abreast of current TV shows and I have been greatly pleased with watching Almost Human--even if in my mind it is a blend of Blade Runner and Continuum--because the acting is good, the effects are good, and the writing/stories have been at least good enough. Couple those with the repartee and how well Urban and Ealy interact with each other and the show is imminently watchable.

Like others, I'll be holding my breath that Fox doesn't screw this one up.
Flag
Thank you for the kind words. But for me, also being European, knowledge about American TV from 40 years ago is not a given. But thanks to the internet, information is available. I came by it when looking for information about another subject. In that way I can add to my own knowledge and make post that might be interesting for others.
Flag
Yea,Fox just never ceases to baffle me. For a show like Terminator SCC to get canceled,when it seemed to be getting better as it went no less,yet stupid Sleepy Hollow is on the air doesnt make sense to me. And when they have a potentially good idea like Sleepy Hollow,cast Tom Mison as Ichabod and then relegate Orando Jones as a support character and make Nicole Beharie (who) his partner instead of Orlando Jones.....way to ruin it FOX!!!!!!
Flag
Fox has screwed up a lot of shows i loved. Werewolf, Friday the Thirteenth (the series), War of the Worlds, Alien Nation, Sliders, Space Above and Beyond, Brimstone, Firefly, Point Pleasant, Futurama, and Terminator TSCC. With Almost Human and Sleepy Hollow, i giving them one last chance.

As for the cast on Sleepy Hollow, i think it's perfect. Orlando Jones' character may not be a lead, but he is no bit supporting character either. He is a major character, and perfect for the role he is playing.
Flag
I am not sure. I would be all for it, since I have been pleasantly surprised by the show (although there is decidedly a little too much Bones in his portrayal of John). But I have learned not to place my faith in television executives. They tend to think with their wallets instead of with their minds.
Flag
Let's hope that the example Fringe set last years in getting more seasons and even a last half season to wrap up without the ad income they would like, will give the executives something to think further on. So there is hope in any way.
Flag
I like it so far and hope it does well
Flag
You forgot Alien Nation (humanoid alien cop partners with human cop).
Flag
Hey, I thought the article was just about androids (as in machines), not aliens too, but then I reread it and ion fact he said "humanoids" so now I'm confused. It doesn't compute...
Flag
I meant to say humanoid robots, but as English is not my native language, I might have used it in a way that might have confused some people.
Flag
Gotcha, yeah, it was just a language issue then. Humanoid basically means anything with a human-like appearance (unless if the actual definition is different than how it's been portrayed in Sci-Fi throughout the years). No worries though!
Flag
@mad-pac. Yes I did. that's the way I've always seen and used it.
Flag
I guess he referred to "humanoid" as a general word for "android" and "gynoid," suggesting that the suffix "oid" would refer to "robot".
Flag
Mine either, this why I checked the dictionary. Yeah, I assumed you were talking about types of robots. Curiously, the original robots, as envisioned by Karel Capek, were not machines, not mechanical ones at least.
Flag
Indeed, Capek's robots are molded, biological entities that may be mistaken for humans. I had to look it up myself as I rembered it had never been populair in the Netherlands. It also had never been translated into Dutch. But I rememebered having a ticket of it being played in The Netherlands. And thanks to you and my search for it on the Dutch wiki, I was able to corrrect the entry as it staed it had never been played in the Netherlands.
Flag
As far as I know it was about a human cop parnering with an alien cop and there was no humanoid (human or alien). It did run for only one season, so at least one box was ticked.
Flag
I think that would depend on the definition of "humanoid" we are considering. To be a humanoid does some being have to look exactly like a human being? Or is the basic shape enough? I'd say the alien in Alien Nation qualifies as a humanoid, but if we're too strict, then even Spock or Worf wouldn't qualify as one.
Flag
If this show doesn't get a second season I will never watch another Fox show until the season is over and I will make sure I find a way to pirate it because I'm sick of dedicating my time to watching these shows and loving them but always be afraid of the Fox gauntlet dropping on another Sci-Fi show. I was always on edge watching Fringe because they kept moving it around and talking of canceling it. This show is great and I am giving my support and watching it live and watching stupid commercials. I hope they see the big picture here and Renew it but you never know with them.
Flag
Oh, and goodie, you've got the most thumbs up for your comment, so peopel agree with you!
Flag
I do hope you're right and good you're supporting it by watching it live! regrettably we can't do that as it isn't aired here (yet). Maybe itsá one of the advantages of not being to watch it life and be dependant on ans aware of the evening it aires. I have always watched and enjoyed Fringe the day after it was aired in the US.
Flag
I am always wary with Fox, especially when I like a show as much as Almost Human.
This show clicked for me from the get go.
I too will boycott Fox is they continue with their poor decisions.
Flag
I don't know if anyone mentioned this but I'm very impressed with the chemistry between karl urban and micheal ealy . I also believe that if the show gets a few seasons under it's belt we may very well have this generations lethal weapon on our hands

Flag
In those oher shows the chemistry between the characters wasn't that bad either, but that didn't help. I agree with you that the chemistry betreen Urban and Ealy is very good. It's something that might ideed save the day.
Flag
Yancy Butler as "a sophisticated gynoid robot"... Tell me more about this gynoid of hers!
Flag
Just watch the pictures......
Flag
I remember watching Mann & Machine when it was new...and even at that time I thought it looked very dated and corny. I wasn't surprised at all when it was cancelled.

One thing to keep in mind is how much technology has changed us since the 70s, 80s and 90s. Technology is so advanced(and integrated) now that the idea of an android cop is not as ridiculous as it used to sound. Yes, it's still a science fiction concept, but I think people are starting to appreciate the science aspect more and more. Then there's the technology being used to make the actual TV programs. Those early android shows did not have the advanced CGI effects that exist today. Those effects can be crucial to telling a science fiction story like Almost Human.

In the end, strong writing and positive word of mouth will probably decide whether Almost Human has a shot at season 2. It's really too early to tell, but I think it will make it.
Flag
I totally agree on the CGI stuff. It makes a series like this one better. It also makes the old ones pretty unwatchable. You probably have to enjoy them as if you were living in the time they were aired. It's a pity lots of those old scifiseries are less watchable. F.i. Babylon 5 gets lost of complaints about the CGI. It was the first one to use massive CGI for a tv show (I seem to remeber it was done with an Amiga) but for today's standards it looks old. I do not mind, especially for Baylon 5, I'm a big fan.
Flag
Yeah but B5's CGI did cause the show a few problems, like when one CGI added "demoinc" glowing eyes to future Garabaldi for a laugh but didn't clean the effect up before the show aired. Cue conspiracy theories about Garabaldi being possessed by the Shadows.
Flag
Yes, CGI doesn't age well unfortunately. That's why I sometimes prefer when a series can go "old school" and use makeup, costumes, scale models and real sets. I think Farscape still looks pretty decent because they relied mainly on great set design, makeup and puppetry. And to be honest, I like the original plastic Cylon costume in Battlestar Galactica over the CGI model in the new version :)
Flag
Sci-fi is a hard genre to get right, and even when it's done well often times the audience isn't there to support it. Sci-fi shows tend to attract cult followings and usually once the shows have been cancelled (Firefly is the perfect example, and probably the biggest example). Fox and sci-fi have had a very poor history - Firefly, Alcatraz, Terra Nova, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, and Tru Calling all aired on Fox - the first 3 had a season or less and the last 2 had two or fewer. Fox didn't even let Firefly air all 14 filmed episodes, only 11 aired and Fox decided to air them out of order; Fox didn't let Tru Calling air its last filmed episode. Fox plays downright dirty with its sci-fi shows Looking back on Fox broadcasted Sci-fi shows almost all got cancelled within 2 seasons, with very few exceptions. By my count the only sci-fi Fox shows to get more than 2 seasons are the X-Files, Fringe, Sliders, and Millennium; all of these shows except Fringe debuted in the 90's if this says anything about Fox's recent history with sic-fi - it isn't good. This makes me very nervous about Almost Human, especially considering Fox has already shown its nasty side when they pushed the series premier by two weeks, and having its pilot premiere on a Sunday (not it's usual date) and the night of a major Sunday Night Football game. That wasn't exactly setting it up to succeed, to say the least. On a positive note, it's the lead in for Sleepy Hollow which is so far proving to be a hit so there's hope, which I'm happy about but knowing Fox's history I'm not getting my hopes up.
More+
Flag
The only times an scifi series gets more then (let's say) two seasons, is when it atrracts other audiences than sf-fans alone. X-Files is a great example as it tapped into public mistrust of governments and large institutions and embraced consipracy theories and spirituality.
Flag
I was going to mention Total Recall 2070, but someone got first. Anyway, it's amazing how shows get dated. Future Cop looks like a general blend of cop shows from the period (Kojak perhaps?), and I expected the style of Mann and Machine to endure longer, since it's more recent, but no, that psychedelic intro, those 1990s graphics, that crazy spinning female figure, and a touch of Miami Vice, based on the opening, not quite watchable.

I'd say of those, Total Recall 2070 is the one that looks more enjoyable and less ordinary. It's greatest problem was that it seemed to have an appalling budget, and it shows. But the writers and producers did a lot with the little budget they had. And the opening is still one of the coolest I've seen.

As for Almost Human, well, the'd better offer more than a procedural show because the audience for this kind of show is not as complacent as the one that watches the likes of CSI and Criminal Minds, who can watch basically the same procedural for several years with little variation, and in fact, don't expect much continuity.

More+
Flag
For me Total Recall 2070 also was the best of those mentioned. And it was the last. You were beaten by my co-writer on the Philip K. Dick posts who must have smiled I forgot part of our former post.....
Flag
I think the jury's still out but we're in a different time now. I believe AH has a lot of potential. Let's hope it gets to live up to it.
Flag
Totally agree.
Flag
If I recall correctly, this would fit the criteria:

22 episodes, one season...
Flag
I am a bit of a fool aren't I? Mentioning our Philip K. Dick posts and forgetting about Totall Recall 2070. It the age I suppose, I can't be the whisky .......
Flag

Flag
Deadly combination! Is that the JW bottle from Blade Runner?
Flag
Sure is.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members