Alphas

When Push Comes to Shove

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Aug 13, 2012 on Syfy

• What a fantastic episode

A wonderful collage of the highs and lows of life, the struggle to overcome hurts in the past and finding your purpose for the future. I loved how the writers and producers dealt with the core issues of Nina's life. Excellent.
  • Stupid Writing, Ignored Premises, and Yet

It was already established in S1E10 The Unusual Suspects that direct and unfiltered eye contact is necessary for Nina to push someone, hence why Agent Nathan Cley wore sunglasses when interviewing Nina in that episode. There were a number of other incongruities throughout this entire episode... enough for me to verbally curse these lazy writers, who don't even research their own show, for potentially making an excellent series stumble and fall.

The cast, as usual, did an excellent job of trying to hold up what the writers dropped. For the writers, I give a 4, or maybe 3 in general; but I'll gift a 5 in the balance for the character expose. That could have (should have) come out the same in a less slipshod way. For the cast, a 9 and not a 10, but that isn't their fault... they couldn't have done any better. And by Tom's dialogue from almost his first moment, it was so obvious that he'd been pushed repeatedly considering his total lack of awareness of reality at hand.

The old "black bag" trick (pulled over the audiences eyes) of not showing his full past with Nina, through Nina, was shamefully lazy writing. Overall, a 7, because I have high(er) hopes for this show to get past the contrived nonsense inserted between seasons. I have to be hopeful after that nonsense fight-club / gladiator episode last week; yet another so overdone, overuse plot seen in too many shows already.
  • Best episode

LOVED this episode enough said
  • Favorite Episode

A whole episode about the most mysterious characters back-story, Nina, gotta love her. This episode was top notch.