Alvin & the Chipmunks

Cookie Chomper III

Aired Saturday 10:30 AM Unknown on NBC

• An episode that must be dealt with!

This is an episode from the 80s "Alvin And The Chipmunks" that I really believe stands out amongst all others. It deals with the accidental death of a cherished family member (a little kitten) - and how the Chipmunks learn to deal with this tragedy. Death is a natural part of life and could occur any time or any place, by showing kids this cartoon we are also helping to console those who might have also lost a pet.
    This (some might say) is a controversial subject to be shown to very young children, but this episode deals with the situation in a very positive, loving and mature manner. I never cried during this episode (boys don't cry - especially from a kid's cartoon about singing chipmunks!), but did believe that this was a very special cartoon, and the writers for this episode really showed us that "Alvin And The Chipmunks" could be about more than just annoying singing Chipmunks.
  • A very sweet, tearful episode.

So sweet. I have only two memories of this show - the two that stand out are Alvin doing the dishes with the kitten - he's letting his new pet lick the plate clean (to which Simon comments "That's not hygenic!"). And of course, the shot of the man (was it Dave?) holding the kitten's collar. I truly wish the Chipmunks seasons would be released on DVD. This episode and "Cinderella? Cinderella!" are the two episodes that are the most memorable (meaning I remember the most of them). Quite possibly the saddest episode in the entire series - be sure to keep a box of Kleenex handy.
  • A VERY serious episode for a usually light-hearted cartoon. It will make you realize how good cartoon scripts were before 2000. This one in particular will tug at your heartstrings.

Alvin and the Chipmunks was my favorite cartoon when I was a kid. Every time I saw this episode I would bawl my eyes out. The poor kitty! But it\'s a great lesson that children should be taught when losing a cherished pet. In the end things turn out alright, but before that the whole story will break your heart. When they sing that \"remember\" song have a box of Kleenex next to you!