Amazing Stories

Moving Day

Aired Unknown Apr 03, 1987 on NBC

7.7
  • A teenager learns that he and his parents are really space aliens, from an advanced civilization, scheduled to return home. The move means that he will have to leave behind everything he knows, including his girlfriend.

Cutesy. The 'Amazing Stories' often reflected the upbeat, 'family friendly' fantasy perspective of Steven Spielberg. This episode is a fine example of this.

A nerdy teenager learns that he must abandon everything he knows, including his girlfriend, and travel with his parents back to their real home; another planet. Thus fairly typical, 'all-American' situations (adolenscence angst and the pains of moving) are giving a creative science fiction bent to them. They are also giving a happy ending.

Yup, it turns out that the girlfriend and her parents are also space aliens, from the same planet, returning home as well. Yes, some of the special effects have not aged too well, although I can recall being amazed when this episode originally aired. Yet, you are interested in the characters, you care about their challenges and are glad that things end on a happy note.

At the time, I recall being a bit disappointed that we really do not get to see much of the advanced alien civilization.
  • The story of a teenager and his life at home and life at his real home in outer space, which he has no idea about until he is all settled in at high school. Special for sure. I\'ve always liked this episode.

One day I\'d hope to buy DVD-quality or better copies of my favorite TV episodes and there would be at least a handful from Amazing Stories on the top of that list, and this one has always been one. Now that I\'m 21 it\'s not what it used to be but I still respect it. It\'s sort of magical. The story has a life of its own. I get a feeling from this episode. It\'s kind of silly but yet like I said, magical. I mean these are late 80\'s people too so you can be amused by the fashion, which makes it more alien already. Every actor in it keeps me in the mood and I believe what\'s happening. I believe the parents who are being secretive about where the family is headed. I recommend you watch the rest for yourself. Perhaps the Sci-Fi channel will have another marathon like they\'re having today or iTunes or who knows who will offer individual episodes for purchase. I\'d definitely buy this warm, with people maturely in character story.