Amen

Thelma's Birthday

Aired Saturday 9:30 PM Dec 05, 1987 on NBC

• Thelma finds herself the center of attention between two men who are competing for her: her father's new doctor, and Rev. Gregory.

The gag of having the two men fall all over themselves for Thelma's attention is stretched a bit thin, but it does provide us with an opportunity to see Thelma gain more self confidence. It is also another step in developing the romantic relationship between Thelma and Reuben. The scene where the reverend brings a small bouquet of flowers to the house and tries to win her affections is an interesting change of pace compared to Thelma chasing after him all the time. Still, I think there should've been a scene where she had some sort of makeover or bought a new dress or something that really showed she was presenting herself differently. She doesn't seem to have changed too much from the class reunion episode where she lounged around in her robe. So in some ways, we cannot exactly buy into her becoming a femme fatale overnight. Yet, Anna Maria Horsford does a good job in this episode, and of course, so does Clifton Davis.