American Bandstand

ABC (ended 1989)

TomAlger

American Bandstand Fan Reviews (10)

• American Bandstand in Dallas TX - I-45 CORRECTION of a history note posted ...

Hi all. Correcting TriviaDude's post, I first saw American Bandstand on WFAA Channel-8 in 1957 in Dallas, Texas (my home since birth) while eating a bowl of hot tomato soup on a cold Winter afternoon after school ... and it IMMEDIATELY "knocked my socks off" with excitement! So I surely know that 1 of those 2 Texas stations Dude mentioned did *not* wait 25 years to air AB, and seriously doubt any other American station did! It's good to check WIKI and other published info's accuracy before repeating it as fact. ** Happy Viewing **
  • Great musical show, with wonderful talent, and the dance entertainment wasn't bad either.

Loved this show, made it a point to be inside and around the tv every saturday to watch. Wonderful way to get the talent out to the public. Good entertainment, sometimes I watched just to see what people where going to wear each week, some where way out there. Really enjoyed everything about this show.
  • This was a great show, can be again.

I'm glad to hear there are plans to bring back this show, I use to love watching the re-runs on VH-1, remember bits and pieces of it when I was growing up, it was wrapping up on ABC and revamp on USA during that time.

Also glad to hear Dick Clark is back to good health, if plans to re-launch AB go good, Ryan Seacrest would make a great host, I think he's the 21Century Dick Clark.

Actually bringing this show back is long overdue, it should have made a comeback during the mid 90's.
  • I wish I would have been around during AB's heyday, because this show was the platinum standard for all other music shows!

Having been treated to retro AB clips on American Dreams the past three seasons, I can see why this show had so much appeal. I only wish I had been around when this show was in its prime, instead of only having to hear about on VH-1 retrospective specials. Dick Clark is so talented, and those of us who only remember him on the $100,000 Pyramid or TV Bloopers and Practical Jokes wish that we could have been there when he was hosting Bandstand.
  • Any Living BABY BOOMER

Has to admit that they Grew-Up Watching DICK CLARK 's AMERICAN BANDSTAND!! It was a part. & staple of being a teenager. We watched the dancers; doing the dances; to the NEW ROCK & ROLL Songs. Then Dick Clark had each week a LIVE Singer or Group doing there Newest Release That to ME; HOLD's Memories that are Special. The Music Just has a way to get past alot of barries & can speak to you, can calming a ressless soul, make you cry or just to STOP & THINK,.to Hear that Music can have many Voices, tones, words, & sounds. I think Dick Clark tried to bring out MUSIC that touched EVERYONE; IF they only Stopped to Listen. If they did not, I think they Missed out on so much in this WORLD.. .
  • If you lived in Texas along I-45, you were out of luck.

Believe it or not, there were some cities that passed on American Bandstand. For 25 years, two of those stations are along I-45 (WFAA-8 in Dallas & KTRK-13 in Houston). I was always curious about the show growing up & finally saw it in San Antonio back in 1981. Was impressed over their annual dance contest.

But the long feud finally ended for Houston on Sept. 1, 1984. It would've been nice to see some of the performers I missed out on during that time. Missed Scott Baio by 50 weeks.

But I also liked watching the anniversary shos they had from time to time.
  • The Legendary Show has been aired for 32 Seasons as the musical-variety show.

This is the show that presented to the public. Teenagers dance the recorded music singles of the day as this show 1st seen on WFIL-TV Channel 6 (abc) in Philadelphia, PA for the 1st 5 seasons after Bob Horn & Lee Stewart were fired as the Station Hired a Newsman from Utica, NY named Dick Clark to host the show last season and this season now on abc-TV. The Program that features Regular Teenagers in the Philadelphia, PA Area come to dance to the latest tunes of the day. If by any chance to pass the PTA Meeting, The Teenagers of the now-christened show it'll be okay or not and only time will tell.
  • Dick Clark...MC's a dance show originally based out of Philadelphia, PA. They showcased new and upcoming as well as established music acts while local teens danced to the music. They's do hits and misses on new songs as well

7.9
    I lived half way between Baltimore and Philly when this show was in it's hayday out of Philly.

I went back and forth between this and the regional hit show hosted by Buddy Dean out of Baltimore.

Dick Clark had the better acts. Dave Clark integrated the show rather than leave the air as Buddy Dean did.

Dick Clark had an eye for up and coming groups.

He also had the advantage of one of the hot spots of talent...South Philly. A number of the male teen idols of the day came from there and were happy to be showcased locally and later nationally by Dick Clark.

I loved the show and still enjoy many of the Dick Clark productions.
  • Marching to the beat of American Bandstand!

Dick Clark has cartainly created of the best music series on the air. I didn't see much of the series when i was growing up. the reason is my ABC station in Flint WJRT TV 12 has pulled "American Bandstand" in the late 1960's and 1970's to air religious programming. I don't know why the air religious programming on a Saturday, but never mind. I was angry at the station for taking away a part of my childhood. I call the station to complain, but they gave nothing but hot air nad they hang up. since then, I never forgiven WJRT TV 12 for what they did. But aside from that, I saw "American Bandstand" a few times and I like what I saw.
  • Platter Chatter.

What the hell can you say about American Bandstand? It was always just.....there. I can remember when it was on every day, Monday through Friday. Then in the early sixties, AB became a once a week, Saturday afternoon show. All the while, a portrait of Dick Clark (hidden away in his attic), grew more and more hideous. Musical styles came and went, but Dick Clark remained the same.