American Chopper Forums

Discovery Channel (ended 2012)

Judges, Viewers, or Both as Judges?

What is the best method to judge Senior .vs. Junior vs. anyone else?

bmoshier

[1]Dec 6, 2011
    • level: 46

While watching last night's episode, I started fear regardless who wins the three-way build-off the losers will call it a popularity contest and not a real judging of the bike building skills.

Personally, I think the contest should have both a team of say 7 judges and viewers looking at each team building say three bikes. Each team would create a bike for three different categories - Street legal chopper, Most Outrageous chopper, and best Corporate Chopper would be my suggestions. The judging would be in multiple areas, such as originality, practicality, endurance (e.g. riding the chopper say 1,000 miles, closest to the objectives of the category, etc.

The awards would be for each category and then an over all winning bike.

So, what in your opinion would be best and truest method to find the best chopper builder?

Edited on 12/07/2011 6:45am
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bmoshier

[2]Dec 6, 2011
    • level: 46

Jesse does have a point about Junior's chopper and how well you can ride it. A one gallon tank won't take you very far, hence, IMHO, the next build off should have some criteria (I'm not saying rules). An example is in the three chopper build I suggested earlier there be a 1,000 mile ride test for the judges and viewers to consider in addition to other criteria. This would address the concerns / comments from Jesse James on making a bike one can ride. People can judge for themselves how well it rides with a 1,000 mile ride.

As for this NO rules / NO criteria contest, how well a bike rides really was only a criteria in the mind of Jesse James.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Given there are different purposes for choppers -- riding, corporations, themes, outrageous, future, etc -- having a contest with multiple categories, IMHO, makes sense. This way we and judges could view how well Junior, Senior, Jesse, and maybe others builds choppers for different clients.

Also -- while I agree with the winner, Junior, of tonight's contest, I can't say it really makes Junior the best bike builder in the world. Why? It really is a very narrow contest not only in people but in what it asked of the builders. A contest with more people and having different categories would really allow people to see who is the best OVERALL bike builder and who is the best in specific area?

I could even see this contest occurring on an on-going basis, but given how expensive it would be to submit a bike in multiple categories, etc. I'd suggest it be an every 3 to 4 year event. Considering how expensive other contests are - Punkin' Chunk'n and others are a bike contest would be possible.

OH, finally, let me say the categories should allow for more than choppers ... Senior's machine should have a place, so should touring bikes (e.g. Honda Goldwing), dirt, cross country, etc.

ltcomstella

[3]Dec 7, 2011
    • level: 18

public vote for fun/ popularity is ok

but have some professional judges and one celeb and or other bike builders. members of the public on the street is fun

as for the bike design there should be a a set rule (company/theme/ type of chopper/ or say a scrap heap / junk yard challenge style competition)

as you say have set parameters cos these anything go deals are kinda stupid.

jesse simply didn't care he just built a bike for himself and to show he can still make them, talking trash only made him seem bitter, stupid and totally immature and in the live show he was totally out of his comfort zone and clearly choked and was gutted when he lost..

occ/snr just had a laugh and wanted to show their skills and 'innovation' but they/ jason fool missed the point of a bike build off

jnr built a bike something new/old and went for the design aspect, and rightly so they won..