American Dad!

A Ward Show

Aired Sunday 9:30 PM Nov 06, 2011 on FOX

• Great, but not much humor in it

This episode was great. While it was nice to see an episode on Principal Lewis, his plot was a little boring. Also, he had one of his serious role ever when he wanted to die in the Grand Canyon. Though it was interesting and funny that Steve hang out with Lewis. As for the other plot, it has a bit more humor than the main plot. That Dan guy was hilarious when he hiding from his wife. Besides Roger/Steve/Principal Lewis plot being boring, my score is lower since Roger was annoying in this episode. Overall, this episode could have been funnier. 8.5/10

This show is one of the few on TV that can have both a good "A" and "B" storyline nearly every week. That being said, Stan and Francine's trip at the water park was a little lame, and the payoff of busted genetalia was a little too mordbid and unnecessary.

But Steve and Principal Lewis and Roger had some great moments. Definitely enjoyed the more emphasized Principal this year. Overall I'll give the episode a positive review.

• Well, it's not perfect but it was great

Roger becomes Steve's legal guardian, but gets a little overzealous in the parenting department when he gets the principal fired. After getting beat up by the other teachers at the school, Steve decides to run away. Meanwhile, Stan and Francine attempt to make waves after discovering that their vacation at the biggest water park in the world fails to get their hearts pumping. I thought that this was a great episode of "American Dad". This episode wasn't perfect or anything else because somethings about it did bug me but it was great for the most part. To be honest, I really didn't get any huge laughs in this episode... not one except for the part at the very end when Principal Lewis and Steve crashed Principal Lewis (white version of him) and Steve (black version of him) at Grand Canyon. I mildly laughed at a few parts but that's it. I didn't find the Roger/Steve/Principal Lewis plot to be that good but I guess I liked the Stan/Francine plot a little bit more. Stan and Francine going to the Biggest WaterPark In The Universe was pretty entertaining but I really didn't like the ending of their plot though... that was just kinda dumb. Yeah, Roger was also bugging me in this episode... he was getting a little annoying in this episode as well. The last few minutes of the episode also wasn't that good as well. Overall, it's not a perfect episode but it is great and I like it for the most part. 8/10

• AWard Show

Oh. Well, hello there, American Dad. Yeah. It has been a while. I didn't think...no, no, I'm not upset with you, no, I just didn't think you'd be back...oh. Baseball. That's your excuse? I meant explanation, don't get mad. We're back together. And you're not leaving for months aga – until December? Oh. I see.

But let's just focus on what we have right now, okay? After all, it's only a few short months til Bob's Burgers takes your place. But this episode tonight, this episode is a good example of whyI missed you. And will miss you in the future.

The premise of the episode certainly has a lot going for it: Stan and Francine name Roger to be Steve's legal guardian so they can go on vacation. Roger, in his full Dad outfit, quickly notices that Steve's surprising, somewhat creepy relationship with Principal Lewis, is a problem, and subverts in a responsible Dad fashion. Lewis goes on a downward spiral, as does Steve's relationship with Roger, leading to the surprise best friends pulling a Thelma & Louise.

While having Lewis and Roger, two of the show's funniest characters, at the center bodes well for the episode, it's not actually that makes the episode work so well. Roger's "Dad" character is remarkably not unappropriate, and only a bit over-the-top with over-protectiveness. Lewis is his usual crazy stuff, but he doesn't necessarily have the over-the-top best stuff that he's had in the past as a throwaway jokester. Not that both are bad or anything, and neither is Steve, whose panic and anger turn Roger into the straight man for much of the episode.

No, what makes this episode work is that it has a reasonably coherent storyline combined with a constant level of humor. The jokes land. I can't really go in-depth more than that, which is always a problem with reviews, but I'll do my best. For example, after Roger presents his plan to become Steve's guardian with a "La-la!", Francine replies "Roger, couple things. I think you meant to say 'voila!' instead of 'la-la!'" which garners a quick, subtle "I did." It's an odd little joke, relying almost entirely on the effectiveness of the sound editing, but it, like a high level of jokes in the episode, manages to work.

In a sense, despite the events of its plot being consistently crazy, American Dad is one of the more conservative shows of Fox's animated bloc, because it relies on straightforward, almost-traditional gags, and strings them together well enough that the story doesn't get in the way. Cleveland is structured in a similar fashion, but its jokes just don't land, while Family Guy will try a different tone after every commercial break and often eschew jokes entirely. The Simpsons is often paralyzed trying to deal with its history of almost 500 episodes, while Bob's Burgers is willing to push its characters in stranger and stranger directions. American Dad, on the other hand, knows what works, and the best thing is, it's probably right.

• perfect