American Dad!

Bush Comes to Dinner

Aired Sunday 9:30 PM Jan 07, 2007 on FOX

• What the episode's plot/title said

When Stan enters an essay contest to have his personal hero, President Bush, come over for dinner, he is overcome with joy when the President arrives at his doorstep. However, not everyone in the Smith family shares Stan's excitement. Hayley tries to drill President Bush on the Iraq war, and Steve and Roger attempt to convince him that they've found Osama Bin Laden, but instead get him drunk. Stan tries to save the President from public humiliation, while Hayley revels in his fall from glory. This episode, while not the best storyline ever, was great. I don't get the hate for some reviewer due to Bush's involvement but it doesn't bother me. IMO, Steve and Roger's plot was obviously funnier while the president Bush plot was okay and there weren't that much funny moments. It has some political scenes, but they weren't that political compared to the Lincoln Lover episode. This episode had some moments such as Hayley falling down from a trap, the whole subplot, Bush being naked, etc. Overall, it was a great political related episode of AD. 8.5/10
  • Superb

Overall, Bush was really funny in this episode, but the hayley plot was boring

9.5 out of 10

• good

Stan's idol, president Bush, comes to dinner when Stan wins an essay writing contest. Haley tries to ask him questions that prove he is a bad-ish president and Steve and Roger try convincing him that they know where Bin Laden is. All that happens is he gets drunk and embarrasses himself in the process.

It was alright. I liked the first half more; the line about that one essay plagiarizing Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Haley falling down the trap doors in the house, etc. Steve and Roger's plot started off good but I think it was overdone when it turned out Bin Laden was in Langley Falls. I don't know, felt weird. Still a decent episode that gets a low B- or so as a final grade.
  • Can someone answer a question? When does this show get funny?

-Hey, I've got an idea!
    ~What?
    -Let's have an episode featuring a charicature of President George W. Bush!
    ~Okay!
    -I've got ANOTHER idea!
    ~Do tell!
    -We'll make him an exaggerated dolt!
    ~You mean the same thing Saturday Night Live did nearly 7 years ago, each week for nearly a year? Instead of something original or funny?
    -EXACTLY!
    ~Let's do it!!

...

Am I the only one? Honestly? I'm all for poking fun at those in power, but after so many straight years of the SAME Bush joke (which was only funny back then with Will Ferrel at the helm), I crave something a bit more thoughtful. Here's an idea, guys...how about you THINK about how to construct a REAL joke, then get back to me, 'kay?

Even Clinton got more than "adulterer" when media outlets made fun of him. There was "overeater", "dim-witted Southerner" and, of course "Hilary's in charge" jabs.

You see that? In Bill's eight years, you had no less than 4 different ways to make fun of the guy. What have comedic outlets (more than but including Family Guy and American Dad) come up with for Bush thus far? One. Just one.

And let's not forget that this is just the same American Dad ep over and over again. Stan is wrong and Hayley is right, even though they "make up" at the end. Doesn't that sound familiar?

Great going, guys. Bet you worked REAL hard for all of five minutes a week to come up with those gags while watching old SNL. Congrats, really.

Oh, and to the writing teams for FG and AD...when you finally come up with a REAL joke (won't be holding my breath, but anything's possible)...try not to burst a blood vessel.
  • Poor episode, ruins the genuine style of the show.

The first thing that brought my attention to this show was that it was finally an American show making fun of American People! I have to admit, i watch it for the rare moments when its humorous, but this episode is just another fine example of why shows lose fans. The first thing that makes me despise this episode is that at the end there seems to be a chance that Hayley will change from her typical hippy America-hating self to a patriot, which would ruin the show from my point of view, her continuous offensive attacks of the American government always make me chuckle. Without the conflict between her and Stan, this show is as good as axed.
  • Stan and the family meet the President.

Bush jokes are way too easy to make, yet this episode does the simplest ones and is hilarious and fresh the whole way through, with Stan trying to stop his crazy family screwing up his chance to be with Bush.

There had to be an episode eventually that dealt with Stan chilling with the president, and how else to do that but to have Bush get drunk through Roger, insulted through Hayley, and have an essay written about him by Stan, in too much detail indeed. The episode is very funny, and all the characters' interactions with Bush were very well done, as well as the subtle and obvious shots at Bush's incompetence and idiocy.
  • Wonder what dubbyah thought of this...

American Dad is a show that is going to continue fight for a spot in my tv loving heart. It is slowly earning that spot. This episode was great for the fact that it flagrantly made fun of the president. Though the jokes have been done before, so that took some of the fun out of it. I will admit that it was funny to see a naked president clinging to a street sign. I'm hoping that the series continues to find solid footing, as it still has more potential than most of the shows that are on today. I'm counting on you American Dad.
  • George Bush comes over to the Smith's house, that's basically it.

The main problem with this episode was that there wasn't enough storylines, as it was all based aroung Bush. Which wasn't that interesting. As much as I like American Dad, Season 2 has had many up and downs. Some episodes are really good (like the Christmas special) and then there are episodes like this, that are just filler episodes.
  • Bush comes to dinner?

Ok, president Bush coming to the Smiths house for dinner? Kind of unreal don't you think? Seems like a pretty good episode though, even if I hate president Bush. So in this episode Roger and Steve claim that they've found OSAMA BIN LADEN, which is hilarious, and of course Hayley with her liberal attacks on the president. Francine trying to make the best out of a bad situation, and Stan just trying to survive it all. Pretty funny episode, and of course The Smith family is always funny and crazy. But when the president meets The Smiths, he's gonna wish he didn't.