American Dad!

Failure is Not a Factory-installed Option

Aired Sunday 9:30 PM Sep 24, 2006 on FOX

• Stan loses his confidence (and job) when a car salesman gets the best of him

Stan loses his confidence, and his job, when a car salesman gets the best of him in a negotiation. Meanwhile, Roger and Steve set up a makeshift drive-in to try to get to first base with popular schoolgirls. It been ages since I watched and reviewed an American Dad episode. The American Dad After School Special was the last time I reviewed a season 2 episode since like almost a year ago (!). But the last time I reviewed was the season 8 premiere. So, in order to get back on track, I now review this episode. This was a great episode of American Dad in my opinion. It could have been a better episode with some LOL moments (there wasn't any) but at least there were some minor humor here. This include Stan losing his confidence when he kept getting the wrong car and accidentally giving the terriost a *** and several CIA secrets, Stan suddenly appearing on the kitchen while a pan flute music play, Francine and Hayley cleaning the restroom, and the last part of the episode. The continuation of the golden turd was pretty good since it told us what happens after the last time we saw it. Overall a great episode of AD. 8.5/10
  • Could have been a little better but still a great episode

Stan loses his confidence, and his job, when a car salesman gets the best of him in a negotiation. Meanwhile, Roger and Steve set up a makeshift drive-in to try to get to first base with popular schoolgirls. I thought that this was a great episode of "American Dad". It wasn't my favorite episode and it could have been a little better but it was enjoyable though. Some of the scenes in this episode were a little boring and did seem to drag. Like I said, this episode could have been a little better. then again, it could have been a little worse. I did laugh at some parts though. There were some very parts that I did get a very good laugh at. Francine and Haley working to clean some woman's restroom by cleaning toilets and all that was hilarious. Steve's plot trying to get the popular girls into their drive-in was very funny as well. The funniest part in this episode was definitely the very ending of the episode when Stan beat the car salesman into signing him a deal. Stan saying "Oh yeah... I won, I won, I won" which leaves the family in shock that he put them in a situation like that on purpose was funny as well. The storyline was very good for the most part with some very funny parts. Overall, it's not my favorite episode but it is an enjoyable way to spend 30 minutes of your time... fans of this show might like this episode just as much as I did though. 8.5/10

• Another perfect episode

Read Full Recap
    (warning: possible spoilers!)

Stan interrogates a man the CIA believes to be a terrorist. Stan figures out that the man's wife doesn't care for him anymore and is able to relate to him and find out his terrorist secrets.

Steve and the nerds eye the popular girls at school. The nerds don't think the girls will talk to them, but Steve has confidence. When the guys approach the girls, but the girls tell them that they only date guys with cars.

Francine tells Stan that her car broke down again and Stan promises to buy her a new car.

Stan enters the show room and hopes to use his negotiating skills to outsmart the salesman. Stan begins to analyze him, but before he can, the salesman finds Stan's weakness.

Stan brings home a sports car, which isn't want Francine wanted. Stan realizes that the salesman turned the tables on him. Every time Stan leaves, he returns home with a new car.

Roger finds an old movie projector in the attic, but no movies. Steve walks upstairs and realizes that he can use his dad's new cars to impress the girls.

At the CIA, Stan starts to interrogate a terrorist, but ends up giving him a passport and several CIA secrets before sending him on his way. Bullock suspends Stan without pay.

Stan mopes around the house, and Francine suggests that Stan visit his sensei, the man who taught him everything he knows about interrogation.

Stan flies to Nepal and is welcomed by his sensei.

Steve invites the girls over and they're impressed to see all the cars. Steve admits that they can't drive the cars.

Hayley delivers a box of films to Roger. Roger projects the movie on the garage and the girls think Steve has his own drive-in movie theater.

Stan returns from his trip. His skills are honed and he will return to the car dealership in the morning.

Steve's drive-in is a hit. The nerds sit in the cars with the girls, but the girls tell the guys that they don't understand why the guys didn't make any advances.

Stan appears at the car dealership and announces his arrival.

Francine serves dinner, but the house goes dark. Steve, Hayley and Francine run outside to see that Stan has been tricked into buying the dealership blimp. Stan realizes his mistake and tells his family he's removing himself from the family because he's an embarrassment.

Francine tells the family that she doesn't know where Stan is or when he's coming back, but they shouldn't worry. The electricity in the house suddenly shuts off and the family has to work to pay the bills.

Hayley and Francine take jobs as house cleaners. After the home owners refuse to pay, Francine pawns her wedding ring. In front of the pawn shop, Francine sees Stan. His sports car is filthy and packed with belongings, and he's grown a full beard. Francine climbs in and begs Stan to come home.

The girls return to Steve's drive-in. Roger fires up the movie and just as Steve makes his move, a repo-man shows up to take all of Stan's cars.

Francine, Hayley and Steve head to the store where they find Stan trying to sell candy bars. Stan sees the man who sold him all the cars and the man offers to set things right with the cars and the bank.

At the dealership, Stan peels off his filthy costume and beard revealing that he did it all to beat the salesman

10 out of 10

• great

What I liked: Steve's plot of the drive-in, Barry in the backseat of the car and his girl in the front seat, Roger reciting the line to the movie they were all watching, Stan sneaking up on people and scaring them after seeing his sensei, Stan finally getting back at that car salesman, amongst other things.

Good episode. I can't believe I did not see the ending coming, but then again, I never pick up on things like that. I thought it was really clever how Stan pretended to leave the family and how that was just part of his shtick. Good episode overall, my final grade is a solid "B".
  • Stan has mad negotiating skills

This is a great episode with a very random twist, with some terrific moments, such as Stan’s negotiating skills at the start, continually falling for the car salesman’s trap, Roger trying to work an old movie projector, Stan’s sensei and Hailey whoring herself out for grocery money.

Steve and his friends trying to become men was also a very funny plot, which ties in well with the ending, where it’ revealed that Stan purposely screwed up his family’s life to save ten dollars a month.

Overall, this is a great episode focusing on Stan’s negotiation skills, and the ending is definitely worth watching the whole episode.
  • Fears for Haley...

In my opinion, a dire and fatal mistake of Family Guy was the turning Meg into an outcast. The show is about the escapades of a family, not how many times the writers can throw in humiliation of one of the characters. It got old quick and it felt like the writers were alluding to the topical fad of not liking one of the characters - and with alacrity. What pains me is that I'm worried a rather pivotal character - Haley - may end up on the same path. She is meant to be the social conscience, the moral hippie with beatnik concerns. Remember in Camp Refoogee when she abandoned her seemingly genuine concerns about the plight of the refuges? OK, I realize it was a parallel about how most won’t do anything in the long run and only help when it suits them, and so on, I still feel they should keep her as the yin to Stan’s yang and not lose the father and daughter relationship Family Guy may have a hard time repairing. How does this relate? This verbose tirade is just a link to turning Haley being a slut in the episode with little airtime. Heh, that plot just sparked the Jumping the Meg fear.

On to this installment! It was a unique plot with regularly occurring subplots – it was funny, it was familiar, overall I enjoyed it – 8.2
  • Stan loses his confidence, and the family suffers because of it.

American Dad seems to be one of the biggest hit or miss shows that I've ever watched. This was one of those episodes that doesn't quite live up to the standards that Family Guy has set. Some of the jokes are funny, but really none of them in the episode make you laugh out loud. The twist ending is about the only thing that saves this episode from being a waste of time. Some funny roger bits show up here and there, but in the end you have stopped caring about Stan's quest to regain his confidence. Hopefully the writing will improve to help the show develop into something a little more funny than what it has turned into.
  • Not as funny as other American Dad episodes.

This episode wasn't bad, but it wasn't very funny. Past episodes have consistently been the funniest of the Sunday cartoons, but this one was not as good as the good Family Guy and excellent Simpsons episodes that aired the same night as it. I'm not worried but I'm hoping the next episode will live up the high standards the show has set for itself.
  • This episode of American Dad is so far my favorite out of the three new ones.

In this episode, Stan's skills in the CIA come to a failure when he is involved with a problem dealing with a car salesman and is always buying cars. For this problem, Stan goes to visit his sensei. It's a problem for Stan, but it is a lifesaver for Steve and his friends when he finds out that girls will only date them if they have cars. And, Roger and Klaus find an old movie projector and buy movies to play on the projector. Steve finds another way with this when the girls think they have a drive-in and then the guys could put the "moves" on them. Overall, I'd have to say that this is my favorite episode in this season comparing to the first two episodes in the new Season (Camp Refoogee and The American Dad After School Special). I found some humor in this episode and if all the episodes are as good as this one, then I shall enjoy the rest of the season of American Dad!
  • Stan proves that his personal life is just as rock as his professional one!

While trying to work a case, Stan thinks that he is losing his mind as a car salesman gets to him and that really he is blowing a case. His personal life can be just as rock as the terrorists in which he is dealing with. Meanwhile his son and his best friend want to score with girls and set up a drive-in toy like. Very funny and just dealing with life at it's best!
FOX