American Dad! Forums

Sunday 9:30 PM on FOXIn Season

American Dad/Family Guy, Culture Difference

Daryl1988

[1]May 30, 2008
    • level: 7

I am English and a big big fan of Family guy, ive watched it since it first aired over here, but since american dad Started a few years back, i am enjoying AD alot more, i told my friends this and got the reply "what the F**K are you talking about?" I tryed to explane why i thought so but i couldnt, i went home that night and stuck on some season 6 of FG on dvd and realised why, steadily since about season 4 when the show came back, they have been useing alot of American humor,pop culture and American celebs that i dont have a clue are, I obviously realise that this is an american show and americans that do watch it would get it, but it seams to be getting more and more americanised,

So this is my thought how can a tv show called american dad be less american then family guy

american dad is a much more universal show that anyone can watch from all over the world, sure i dont get a few jokes now and then, but i think thats alot better then not knowing what the hell they are on about in family guy,

I would like to here from people from the UK and all over the world if anybody agree's with me, thanks for your Time

much love xxx

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

skull555

[2]May 30, 2008
    • level: 18
    Yeah, Family Guy can be more American at times with pop culture, but American Dad could also be American.

Daryl1988

[3]Jun 1, 2008
    true but i think there is a big difference

hmnut7

[4]Jun 2, 2008
    • level: 12
    1) American Dad is just the title of the show, it is not suppose to be "The most American thing on TV." If anything the title of the show is meant to be somewhat ironic, as America it's self, as the title character often proclaims to stand up for the values of America while at the same time doing things that go against those very same values. Saying one thing and doing another is probably the most American thing you can find.

2) I don't know if I am more offended or worried, but I really hope most English people (or any people outside of the USA) don't think that Family Guy is in anyway the standard of "what is American?" It would be like Americans thinking Monty Pyton is the standard of "what is British?" It is just a stupid show, it just happens to be made in America.

3) Perhaps Family Guy does use American pop culture references, but so does American Dad! So did Friends, and Cheers, and The Cosby Show. The difference is those other shows are not dependent on them that. Something like 75-80% of Family Guy jokes are just random enterchangable pop culture jokes. In other words you could take the average family guy joke out of the episode it is in and put it in any other episode and it would not make any difference. The jokes have nothing to do with the story. Which is fine, again all shows do it, except few shows do it to the unbelievable extent that Family Guy does. I could go on all day, about the massive problems with Family Guy, but I will spare you. But trust me when I say, there is more to being American than random pop culture references.

Daryl1988

[5]Jun 2, 2008
    hey thats cool i didnt intend to offend, i still think my statement is valid tho, ive been to the states i love america hey, i am 1/4 american, its just my point is since season 4 they have made the show more american, somehow forgetting the audiances around the world. take it from me im english iand i understand 95% of american dads jokes and about 60% of family guys and so do all my friends we are all massive tv fans we watch everything, we discuse these things, do you know what im saying?

hmnut7

[6]Jun 2, 2008
    Yeah I know you didn't mean to offend. And I get what you are saying, but you keep saying "more American." and I don't think that's what it is, I think it is "more stupid Americans."

You get 95% of American Dad! Guess what so do I. So do most people. Why? Because it is a much smarter show than it is given credit for. They take their characters, put them in a situation that relates to American life (but can usually be translated to International life) and they can add a real world context. Gay rights, terrorism, refugee suffering and many more topics that Americans think are just American but really are world wide. That's a smart show. You say you get 60% of Family Guy jokes. Guess what? So do I. Why? Because that is a much dumber show that just uses a lot of cheap gimmicks to get a quick laugh, even if it has nothing to do with the story, or even the world in general.

The perfect example, a few months ago FG did a joke about Dean Cain (use to play Superman on Lois and Clark). It wasn't funny and it wasn't topical. Dean Cain hasn't really been important in American Pop culture for like 7 or 8 years, many people in the US and for sure outside the US would have no idea who is. WHY MAKE THE JOKE?!!!!!!!! Answer because one of the writers thought it was a funny back in 1998, they needed to fill an extra 30 seconds so just through in a random joke.

The whole Peter vs the Chicken, WHY WAS THAT SUPPOSE TO BE FUNNY? Yeah sure for about 30 seconds it's kind of funny like "oh my God I can't believe he is fighting a chicken." Then when you get to 60 seconds it's like "Why don't we get back to the story?" And it can go on for 6 to 7 minutes. That's over 25% of the episode, just the 2 fighting, has nothing to do with the rest of the episode AT ALL. Why is it put in, just because it is random, just because people smoking weed will laugh at something that stupid even if it doesn't make sense. Family Guy is not more American, it is just more stupid, and more likely to just put in random stupid stuff for no reason what so ever. So when you say "it is more American" it's like saying American=stupidness. I guess I keep going back to the stupidness because, the fact that they use American Pop culture references isn't the problem, it's that they use obscure ones, and they put them in bad jokes. I don't care if are American or not, if you grew up in even a some what westernized culture you should be able to get at least 90% of jokes from an American show, because they use universal themes. Family Guy does none of these things, and I don't get it most of the time, or if I get it, I don't get why it is suppose to be funny. Most of the people I know who love it are stoners, perhaps they do represent America, but I like to think not.

lord_ratman_IV

[8]Jun 2, 2008
    • level: 22
    Sometimes the jokes on AD and FG are too American for me to understand. That is I live in Australia and a few of the more localised pop-culture references I don't get. but maybe I just need to watch e news or something like that.

omega_dog

[9]Jun 3, 2008
    • level: 8
    I was born and raised in America and like hmnut said I think the real problem isn't that the jokes on family guy are too american it's just that the jokes if they could even be called jokes just aren't funny ever since it came back the jokes have gotten dumber and dumber to the point that all they are are just lame attempts at insulting people anymore it's gotten so bad that I quit watching family guy

wayne827

[10]Jun 12, 2008
    omega_dog wrote:
    I was born and raised in America and like hmnut said I think the real problem isn't that the jokes on family guy are too american it's just that the jokes if they could even be called jokes just aren't funny ever since it came back the jokes have gotten dumber and dumber to the point that all they are are just lame attempts at insulting people anymore it's gotten so bad that I quit watching family guy

While I agree somewhat with omega_dog (I still watch Family Guy)...I just want to add that I think another problem with Family Guy is that a lot of the jokes are obscure 70s and 80s references.

I'm an American, and even I have problems understanding some of Family Guy's jokes. I think this is because the Family Guy writing staff is in their 30s and are making jokes about the things they grew up with. As a person in his young twenties, I miss a lot of their 70s/80s references.

Daryl1988

[11]Jun 13, 2008
    thats a good point about there age, so you can see, im english, and if you cant understand alot of the jokes, you can see my point, that its not fair on the unamerican viewer, its quite simple really make the jokes more universal like season 1-3 posibly 4 or american dad.

skull555

[12]Jun 26, 2008
    There is a lot of difference between both shows! There is much more pop culture in Family Guy, and that is what makes it different. Also, the kind of show.

Herodite777

[13]Jul 2, 2008
    • level: 8
    Family Guy is pretty much the show to go to if you want to see cartoons people have forgotten about be made fun of. American Dad is the show to go to for a cartoon sit-com. I like both though I think American Dad is right now better than Family Guy.

Hoeech

[14]Jul 3, 2008
    • level: 66
    "Family Guy" is targetted to people who grew up in the late 70s and early 80s. The majority of the jokes make reference to pop culture icons and fads of that era. If you're 20 or younger, most of the jokes will just go clean over your head. Don't blame the writing. The show is brilliant, but it doesn't work for everyone. "American Dad" has a more universal appeal, but it's not as edgy.

skull555

[15]Jul 7, 2008
    Family Guy does have a lot more pop culture than American Dad, and a different kind of show! They aren't the same!