American Dad! Forums

Sunday 9:30 PM on TBSIn Season

Roger and Steve or Brian and Stewie?

FOP_fan17

[1]Mar 1, 2012
    • level: 22

Perhaps it's just me, but I've noticed that both of these relationships have changed over the last few seasons. Brian used to be a fatherly figure to Stewie, and Stewie gave Brian guidance during his various mishaps, but I don't think they are the same much at all now. It almost seems like Brian hangs out with Stewie because he has no friends outside of the house, and neither does Stewie. And Brian doesn't seem to be as fatherly towards Stewie anymore...actually, Stewie tends to be that way towards Brian. It just seems like they aren't as funloving anymore and never do anything outside of the house.Roger and Steve are quite different. They are quite funloving andwhen they do fight, it doesn't seem bloodthirsty like it doeswith FG. They also have lives outside of the house and are not always involved with each other's plots, whereas Brian and Stewie are involved in each other's stories (or share one) 99% of the time. Roger and Steve seem to have gotten closer over the seasons and are even funnier than they used to be. What are everyone else's thoughts on this?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

thundercat2000

[2]Mar 2, 2012
    • level: 17

I take Roger and Steve. Steve is voiced by Scott Grimes and not by Seth. It's good that these characters are voiced by TWO differant actors and not one. You could do so much more with Roger and there are no limits in or out of the house. He isn't one dimensional, or preachy. Steve has friends and has a life. I enjoy it when they are together. Roger has a life outside the house. Roger and Steve are and will always be consistant.

ArtistUnknown

[3]Mar 3, 2012
    • level: 2

Steve and Roger. Their plotlines are genuinely more engaging and funnier than Brian and Stewie (Wheels and the Legman, anyone?). I think the fact that Steve is a teenager also makes the dynamic better because a teenager should be able to be as crazy as he/she wants to be and watching Stewie go to the edges of the universe and back again while Peter and Lois don't even care is just an immediate turn off (I get that it's a cartoon show meant for entertainment and I shouldn't care... but still. It's stupid). I think Stewie as an infant used to work fine because of the "evil baby" concept behind him, but then it just became a handicap because the writers weren't allowed to age him so he could have a life or friends outside of the house and they can't permanently add a new friend for him because it's not canonical (in that aspect, anyway). If Stewie was allowed to be understood by the entire family all the time instead of just when the writers feel like it then the dynamic between him and Brian would be on par with Steve/Roger because he'd be allowed to have plots with everyone else and not be stuck with Brian the entire time, which just holds Brian's character back because he's not allowed to do anything without Stewie (heaven forbid Stewie isn't a focal point of an episode).

The fact that Steve and Roger interact with everyone in the family is nice, too. Them not being constricted to hanging out with one another is great, because it seems like Stewie and Brian don't do anything or talk to anyone except themselves, which just makes their plots and dialogue incredibly stale. Seeing Roger and Steve go off on separate plots in one episode and then have them together in another one makes it refreshing, whereas watching Brian and Stewie be the B plot (or an A plot) of an episode of Family Guy almost every time is just boring.

Oh yeah, and they aren't both voice by Seth. That's a huge plus.

Edited on 03/03/2012 9:41am

Samuel2484

[4]Mar 6, 2012
    • level: 16

Brian and Stewie are on a loop. Brian will go out with some girl with real issues and he'll fight for her and get his heart broken by the end. Then when he's NOT doing that, he and Stewie will be doing something.

Stewie is barely evil these days. He's also lost a bit of the gayness. So what is his appeal anymore? There's no hook on these characters that makes me interested in what's going to happen to them.

Steve and Roger are just fun and funNY. Steve being a wise ass and Roger an alien they're just great. Also they're not too repetitive they have episodes with other characters,it's a larger world. With Stewie and Brian its a tapereplying time and time again.

thundercat2000

[5]Mar 7, 2012

When Brian and Stewie are talking, it is Seth talking to himself. When it is Roger and Steve, it's Seth with another actor. That's what makes Roger and Steve refreshing. Also, limiting Brian and Stewie to be together all the time makes them flat and boring.

FOP_fan17

[6]Mar 7, 2012
    ^Yes, I like how Steve is voiced by Scott Grimes. I'm so used to MacFarlane's voice, hearing bits with Roger and Steve are refreshing. Although I don't find it boring when Stan and Roger talk, and they have a lot of interaction and are both voiced by Seth. Perhaps it's because they're voice pitches are so much more different than Brian and Stewie's?

thundercat2000

[7]Mar 16, 2012

Seth also limits himself as an actor by just doing Brian and Stewie. I'm glad that he teams with Scott Grimes in American Dad. Seeing Brian and Stewie together and not have a life outside their relationship, makes them one note and boring.

magicfan12345

[8]Mar 21, 2012
    • level: 11
    Steve and Roger b yfar for me. Like everyone seems to be saying, they can go off on their own, do other things, interact with any of a wide range of other characters and still work together really well in other episodes. Stewie and Brian are kinda stuck as they only have each other. I relaly miss the "man's best friend" aspect of Brian and Peter from way early on. Infact the show was based on a short Seth made about a guy and his dog. Steve and Roger work so well together because it's voluntary. Steve could choose to hang wit hhis friends or go bug Hayley, but instead he chooses to hang with Roger. Roger could dress up as anyone and go out and raise hell, but today he chooses to hang with Steve. Brian never keeps a girl and never made any dog friends and Stewie never kept any baby friends and no one else can understand what he says.

thundercat2000

[9]Mar 25, 2012

Plus, the Brian and Roger relationship is very creepy.

420shortee

[10]Mar 25, 2012
    • level: 5

Steve and Roger ftw.

FOP_fan17

[11]Mar 25, 2012

thundercat2000 wrote:

Plus, the Brian and Roger relationship is very creepy.

Don't you mean Brian and Stewie? I don't think Brian and Roger have ever personally met (but I think it would be cool if they did.)

thundercat2000

[12]Mar 26, 2012

Sorry. My mistake. Brian and Stewie are still very creepy.

thundercat2000

[13]Apr 16, 2012

That episode with Brian and Stewie locked in the bank vault left a vile taste in my mouth. I'll stick with Roger and Steve.

Brightstars2012

[14]Jan 1, 2013
    • level: 3

Brian and Stewie for sure

thundercat2000

[15]Jun 28, 2013

After I saw Road to Vegas, I'll take Roger and Steve.

thundercat2000

[16]Jun 30, 2013

ArtistUnknown wrote:

Steve and Roger. Their plotlines are genuinely more engaging and funnier than Brian and Stewie (Wheels and the Legman, anyone?). I think the fact that Steve is a teenager also makes the dynamic better because a teenager should be able to be as crazy as he/she wants to be and watching Stewie go to the edges of the universe and back again while Peter and Lois don't even care is just an immediate turn off (I get that it's a cartoon show meant for entertainment and I shouldn't care... but still. It's stupid). I think Stewie as an infant used to work fine because of the "evil baby" concept behind him, but then it just became a handicap because the writers weren't allowed to age him so he could have a life or friends outside of the house and they can't permanently add a new friend for him because it's not canonical (in that aspect, anyway). If Stewie was allowed to be understood by the entire family all the time instead of just when the writers feel like it then the dynamic between him and Brian would be on par with Steve/Roger because he'd be allowed to have plots with everyone else and not be stuck with Brian the entire time, which just holds Brian's character back because he's not allowed to do anything without Stewie (heaven forbid Stewie isn't a focal point of an episode).

The fact that Steve and Roger interact with everyone in the family is nice, too. Them not being constricted to hanging out with one another is great, because it seems like Stewie and Brian don't do anything or talk to anyone except themselves, which just makes their plots and dialogue incredibly stale. Seeing Roger and Steve go off on separate plots in one episode and then have them together in another one makes it refreshing, whereas watching Brian and Stewie be the B plot (or an A plot) of an episode of Family Guy almost every time is just boring.

Oh yeah, and they aren't both voice by Seth. That's a huge plus.

I agree with you on Lois. She is the moronic mother ever. Not knowing or caring about Stewie is very stupid. Okay we know it's a cartoon but come on!!

thundercat2000

[17]Aug 6, 2013

Now and then we Stewie with kids his age. I wish Brian would do the same with other dogs. It feels as if he doesn't want to get a life outside the house away from Stewie.

ayranci2

[18]Sep 4, 2013
    • level: 4

I still like Stewie and Brian pairing but I choose Roger and Steve. There's no Roger and Steve episode that I don't like.