American Dad! Forums

Monday 9:30 PM on TBSIn Season

Which is better Family guy or American dad?????

PrestoBoy

[41]Jan 28, 2008
    • level: 13
    Family Guy. American Dad is good, but it doesnt have Stewie and Bryan.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sumdummy619

[42]Feb 2, 2008
    • level: 3
    WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!!!!
    Family Guy is WAY better than dumb old American Dad!!!!!
    you must be crazy puffyflower334!!!!

MovieMark17

[43]Feb 3, 2008
    • level: 35

Hmm. People who say FG is waaaaaaay better and that American Dad suuuuucks (see above ) have a certain telling about themselves. American Dad, despite its age-rating, is uniformly, a very adult show. It tackles race, sexuality, politics and so on in a very mature-ish, funny way. Someone else said it in this forum and I'll agree - Family Guy is too easy. In American Dad the jokes make sense, and it's made all the funnier because they make sense. Family Guy just doesnt know how to string a line of jokes together anymore.

I loved Family Guy at its most random - the most recent cry-with-laughter-fest I had with the show is when Peter is Mary Poppins and crushes the kids! Man, that was hilarious. But since the show returned, ok, maybe after season four, one could only really find one joke hilarious and the rest simply entertaining. Back in the day (seasons 2 and 3 for me) were constantly hilarious, random, clever and consistent!...now, the episodes themselves are just flashbacks.

So here's how I'd break it down.

Family Guy season 2+3 are much better than the rest of Family Guy at the moment.

American Dad is much better than Family Guy seasons 1,4,5 and 6.

Family Guy seasons 2 and 3 are better than American Dad, though only marginally.

tota1ity

[44]Feb 4, 2008
    • level: 12
    I would preffer American Dad more, but Family Guy is also good.

hmnut7

[45]Feb 6, 2008
    MovieMark17 wrote:

Hmm. People who say FG is waaaaaaay better and that American Dad suuuuucks (see above ) have a certain telling about themselves. American Dad, despite its age-rating, is uniformly, a very adult show. It tackles race, sexuality, politics and so on in a very mature-ish, funny way. Someone else said it in this forum and I'll agree - Family Guy is too easy. In American Dad the jokes make sense, and it's made all the funnier because they make sense. Family Guy just doesnt know how to string a line of jokes together anymore.

I agree, The reason for FG's success with some and failure with others is that Family Guy just goes for the easy laugh even if it makes no sense and is completely out of place.

FG is just astring of random jokes.I think a lot of viewers like that because they can then go tell those jokes to their friends. Like with AD if you wanted to retell something funny that happenedon the show you would have to set upwho the characters are, their relationship to each other and what chain of events brought them to this one funny moment in time after all that set up then you can finally say what happened. With FG you can take any random moment from any random showwithout having to explain much.

Lot of my friends do that,I have had whole meals were they just sit around laughing aboutFG bits.

As they say, it is just frat boy humor.Stuff that is funniest when you are reallydrunk or really high.

MsRockstar

[46]Feb 6, 2008
    • level: 11
    Definitely American Dad, cos it's funnier especially with the alien and the German goldfish.

chapplenick

[47]Feb 7, 2008
    • level: 8
    I know i'll be labelled "one of them" but I say the old family guy (before the return) beats out American dad by quite a way. But the largely slapstick humour of the new series can't match american dads wit and political satire

vendbien

[48]Feb 19, 2008
    • level: 25

thundercat2000 wrote:
    American dad is much better. There is character development, a straight forward plot, everybody gets equal airtime and there are no flashbacks that interfere.

Family Guy is better... but American Dad is catching up.

The flashbacks that you don't like are exactly what gives Family Guy the edge.

Mabelyn1

[49]Feb 20, 2008
    • level: 20
    I Love American Dad but i have to say Family guy is better. I think American Dad has about the same quality but Famliy guy is the better version.

RINx437LS

[50]Feb 20, 2008
    • level: 13

The only reason that this show was created was that maybe MacFarlane wanted to get back in the Animation job. Sometimes this show is good. But I see Family Guy more. I'd go with Family Guy.

Nixxxxxxxxxxxxx

[51]Mar 1, 2008
    • level: 1
    American Dad is better then Famliy gAy

vendbien

[52]Mar 10, 2008
    • level: 25
    hmnut7 wrote:
    MovieMark17 wrote:

I agree, The reason for FG's success with some and failure with others is that Family Guy just goes for the easy laugh even if it makes no sense and is completely out of place.

FG is just astring of random jokes.I think a lot of viewers like that because they can then go tell those jokes to their friends. Like with AD if you wanted to retell something funny that happenedon the show you would have to set upwho the characters are, their relationship to each other and what chain of events brought them to this one funny moment in time after all that set up then you can finally say what happened. With FG you can take any random moment from any random showwithout having to explain much.

Lot of my friends do that,I have had whole meals were they just sit around laughing aboutFG bits.

As they say, it is just frat boy humor.Stuff that is funniest when you are reallydrunk or really high.

People can like either show better or worse for whatever reasons they choose.

But I would like to clear up one often-held misconception: "Family Guy just goes for the easy laugh even if it makes no sense and is completely out of place."

FG doesn't 'just' go for the easy laugh. It does sometimes (maybe even a lot), but there are also a lot of very well-thought, well-written jokes as well. Remember, they're both from the same creator... he doesn't just get smarter or dumber when he switches gears from one show to the other.

NoodleStealer

[53]Mar 12, 2008
    • level: 2
    Well, I would say that American Dad beats Family Guy.. Family Guy is either insanely funny or not. The new family guy episodes has just become very monotonous and forgettable. American Dad has some really funny moments, but not as often as you would like, but it stays funny through all the episodes, and I guess that's what beats family guy. - And I liked Stewie better when he was evil. - Noodles rule, if you have 'em I'll steal 'em.

PerfectDark0Fan

[54]Mar 12, 2008
    • level: 18
    American Dad is way funnier with a capital W. Family from season 1-3 is very funny but the writers who work on that show today didnt really pick up off the writers of seasons 1-3. American Dad is created by Seth Macfarlane, Mike Barker, and Matt Weitzman. Mike & Matt are writing partners who worked on Family Guy from seasons 1-3. Today all three work on American Dad as Execuive Producers. American Dad does to me what Family Guy used to and that roll out laughing. So clearly American Dad is better.

mistyann21

[55]Mar 13, 2008
    • level: 7

I like american dad better definitly, they actually have a STORY in every episode, not just a bunch of fairly random seans stuck together, which is the impression I get a lot of the time from Family guy expecally the things with peter and the chicken or when he falls outside and it has 5mins of him sitting there holding his knee.

PerfectDark0Fan

[56]Mar 13, 2008
    • level: 18
    I left out writer David Zukerman "I think that is spelled correct" who also worked on Family Guy seasons 1-3, or 1-2.

LSUstinks11

[57]Mar 20, 2008
    American Dad,Family Guy just flat out sucks.

omega_dog

[58]Mar 21, 2008
    • level: 8
    stewie was good before he went gay a litttle gay here and there would be nice but he's always saying something gay in almost every single episode anymore and bryan was good before it seemed like he was hell bent on having sex with lois American dad doesn't use stupid flashbacks that have nothing to with the story like family guy does

traviswt

[59]Mar 28, 2008
    • level: 1

Id have to say Family Guy.

I'm very suprised to see so many American Dad lovers though! I thought alot of the jokes in American dad werent funny at all (although it made up for it with alot of funny ones) Maybe you have to be American to get them haha!

24chevyfan

[60]Mar 28, 2008
    I think if we are comparing American Dad to family guy (seasons 1-4) then family guy would win. But if we compare it to current episodes, American Dad wins.