American Dad!

Sunday 9:30 PM on TBS Premiered Feb 06, 2005 In Season

TVTome_Shadow

American Dad! Fan Reviews page 3 of 23

• Yeah. I like it!

American dad is a animated sitcom created by Seth Macfarlane. When I heard this was coming in 2005, I was annoyed. I didn't want ANOTHER Seth Macfarlane show on TV. But, I tried it anyways. And I have to say, This show has made a turn around of EPIC proportions! This show went from un-funny and stale to flat out AWESOME. It's first season was a bloody joke. I couldn't even watch it. But then it got renewed.l While I thought this the biggest Fox mistake EVER, It actually made Seth put his brain in gear and make something ACTUALLY funny.

My only complaint is they Wear their jokes out. I call that a "Fairly odd parent" Gag. Which means you hear the same gag repeatedly....

The characters include: Stan, Francine, Steve, Haley, And Roger. Plus, Klaus the fish. Stan is the father, And get's a bit too carried away with it! Francine is your average, Crazy, mother. Steve is a nerd, Haley is a freaking hippie, And Roger is an alien. The ideas of the characters seem dull, But trust me, It's not.

Finally: The verdict:

This is a good show, It makes me laugh, Seth seems to NEVER run out of story, And It never gets that Staleish feeling. Overall: 8/10. I rest my case.

• In a bleak, dark period for FOX animation, including the slump of The Simpsons and Family Guy, a beacon of light shines through. And the name is American Dad!

American Dad! now takes the place as the crown jewel of FOX Animation Domination. At least, in my opinion.

The Humor: The Humor is Spot-on. Perfect timing for every situation, not a joke out of place. And the thing I like most is that there are no flashbacks like Family Guy, which is still a good show, just that the flashbacks can get a little annoying. The puns and jokes have perfect timing, and every episode to date has made me laugh out loud on several occasions.

The characters: What I like about this show is that the characters are displayed as... whoa! Something new! They are displayed as REAL people with real emotions! That's what I like, although sometimes it is a bit exaggerated. Stan is displayed as a strong, loving husband and father, but is shown to be fraught with weakness, regret, and doubt (sometimes). Francine... well I can't say that fits her. She is the stereotypical ditzy housewife... but when something happens, her character steps up! The kids... are normal, average kids who stand up for what they believe in. That's totally underused in animation. Klaus the German Goldfish is by far one of my favorite animated characters! He doesn't get much airtime, but when he does, watch out! And let's not forget about Roger, the extraterrestrial. His humor in my opinion is one main reason I find the show enjoyable.

The writing: I find something new in every episode of American Dad! which is very hard to do. The wacky situations and trouble the characters get into always keep me on the edge of my seat.

Overall, I think this is as of now the best animated show on FOX.

9.5/10= Great in my mind!

That's all for now!

• The only Show from Seth I still like.

At least American Dad is still fresh and original. I thought for sure Seth was going to ruin everything with the way Family guy has been and The Cleveland show.. But thankfully there is still one shining gem on fox. I hope it will last a few more seasons before he pulls a family guy and completely butchers the show.
    One thing i always enjoy about this show is Roger the alien. Thats one of the more unique characters on the show and he always has something funny to say. It is usually pretty inappropriate too haha. Bottom line: This is the best of McFarlanes current work and i hope he will tighten things up and not let it go down with the other 2 shows.
  • Funnier than family guy

The greatest show on earth! I love it! Family guy was OK but this. This is down right hilarious. There is NOTHING bad about this show. Everything was perfect! The humor, the animation, the characters. American Dad is truly awesome. I just love Klaus. The talking goldfish. He is HILARIOUS. Awesome show! I hope it's around for a long time! I can't wait to see more shows made by Seth. OMG this is incredible. I am so eager to see more and more new episodes of this incredibly awesome television show! This show is the greatest. I love it SO much.
  • Interesante me gusta

una serie muy buena con una satira fuerte al modelo americano, y auto criticante pero de igual forma esto hace que sea muy entretenida y divertida, podrian mejorarla dandole mas importancia a ciertos personajes como lo es el pez aleman uff seria mejor que le dieran mas protagonismo para mi de gran valor dentro de la serie

• American Dad is a cartoon that I'm surprised is still good in Season 8.

American Dad! from Family Guy creator, Seth MacFarlane, is the animated story of Stan Smith, who works for the CIA and is constantly on the alert for terrorist activity. Stan will go to extremes to protect his beloved America from harm – as evidenced by the terror-alert color code on his fridge, and his frequent knee-jerk reaction of shooting holes in the toaster whenever the toast pops up.

What I like- No cutaway gags, no retarded moments that drag on for WAY too long like Family Guy, funny and original in every episode

What I dislike- I like everything about the show.

• In a tight battle between American Dad and Family Guy, American Dad wins by an inch. Best cartoon comedy around.

This show beats family guy mainly because i think the cutaway gags are old and the characters are better. Stan-peter: Both great characters. Francine-Lois: Lois is obnoxious but Franny is a funny trophy housewife. Steve-Chris:Tough, but i guess its a tie. Both are very funny in their own ways. Hayley-Meg: Meg sucks and Hayley is a hippie stoner who's father is a Republican. Great combo. Roger/Klaus-Brian/Stewie: Very hard, but i give Klaus and Roger the lead because a Nazi fish and an Alcoholic alien with a million disguises and funny lines are funnier than an evil baby and an alcoholic dog.

• Best cartoon comedy around

There once was a time where Simpsons reigned supreme, with its witty edgy jokes and family-centred plot, it seemed madness to assume that anything could over take it. Then came it's downfall, the plots and jokes deteriorated at an alarming rate and Family Guy was top. However, it soon lost its charm, and now finally, after years of waiting, American Dad is cartoon numero uno.

It seems a bit unfair to say at the beginning it wasn't as funny, because looking back at the episodes from series 1 and 2, this is still top stuff. However, it gets into its groove from season 3 onwards and it has never looked back.

It centres around Stan Smith, a CIA agent, and his family. His dopey wife, Francine, his son, Steve, his daughter, Hayley, and their pets, an alien called Roger and a fish called Klaus. One of the most likeable things about American Dad is that you feel every character plays a part in the series and each character offers something a little bit different to offer. For example, in Family Guy, Chris is essentially a little Peter which doesn't really give much to the show whereas in American Dad, Steve is a completely different character to Stan and this leads to interesting plots.

There are obvious comparisons between Family Guy and American Dad, both are based around families and both have members of the family who talk who in normal life wouldn't be able to. Often, when watching American Dad, you do get the feeling that it still feels like it is in Family Guy's shadow and this leads to some random, quirky jokes that don't fit in and makes the watcher feel uncomfortable and awkward.

However, that is where the similarities end. American Dad is a much funnier, wittier show, relying on clever dialogue and the characters to make jokes rather than bizarre events which makes it a much more enjoyable show. This is brilliant stuff, every episode will make you laugh out loud several times, the majority of the time coming from Roger, who is extremely hilarious.

You get the feeling that unlike Family Guy, who's brash cutaway gags feel more tired than ever, American Dad can run and run. The plots are very enjoyable and despite not making a lot of sense, the fact that Stan works for the CIA gives the show a lot more creativity. One negative about the plots is that they all follow the same formula. If you watch one after another (like I did) then the show starts to become a bit repitive ie. a fault in the relationship between two characters is shown, they have a whacky adventure and by the end of the episode, the fault is repaired.

However, there is no doubt in my mind that American Dad is by far the best adult cartoon comedy around.
  • I'm OldManKrabs555, and this is my review on American Dad!

American Dad! is my second most favourite show tied with Family Guy next to SpongeBob. I find American Dad a bit better then Family Guy, because there's no random gags. My favourite character on the show is Roger, next to Stan. Like, who doesn't like Roger? My Favourite Characters list: First - Roger Second - Stan Third - Francine Fourth - Steve Fifth - Hayley Sixth - Klaus. To me, there's nothing to not like about this show. This has been OldManKrabs555 on American Dad!
  • a supriseingly good seth macfarlane show

this is a funny show and if your like me and hate seth macfarlane then youll love this theres no random clips and no time filers and its funny cartoon. i love how this show can be political and not shuve it down your throught like family guy here its all plot driven humor, well written episodes and jokes, a smart cartoon. its not like family guy where sometimes its funny, here its usally stays funny and an overall cool show if you havent seen it i would give it a chance. . . . . . . . .
  • This show is sadly better that family guy. (I'm sorry peter please don't get me for this).

This show contains more humor in it then the other shows on animation domination. Threw the years American dad's humor change from various styles. The first two seasons they focused on politics (which I find was Hilarius) Then next three had a lot of racist jokes. The last few seasons put everything joke they could put in there, and made everyone love this show. Every season has one thing in common though. They share the stubbornness of Stan Smith. This makes every show entertaining to see him go to the extreme to make his way the right way. This is a must watch show, and even if you don't like the fist season come back for the others because it is a ever changing comedy that will never leave the hearts of the Americans that want a laugh.
  • This is basically Seth's best show now.

This show is basically a LOT better than Family Guy. It's not about Fart jokes or 911 jokes, this show is different from that. It's about a CIA agent who has a family. Roger is basically the best character of the show. He's basically an alien who likes to drink and loves to disguise. Stan is basically a dad who is overprotective, but is different from that STUPID Peter Griffin. But now, Seth focuses more on that stupid Family Guy than this. This better not get cancelled. If it does, then Seth is basically a terrible creator of these cartoons.
  • the thing i love about american dad! is roger....because roger is a thing. it is also 'the' other time seth macfarlane got it right.

the real thing i love about american dad! is that it isn't afraid to be more abstruse than its predecessor, family guy.

the reason everyone loves family guy is that it targets a more general audience & is hence (i did just use that word didn't i) more readily understood & appreciated by more people. it is the designated wingman of seth macfarlane's shows: it will talk to/entertain anybody regardless of age, sex, culture, religion, sex, race......... sex..looks... sex... gender... whatever. everybody's happy. with american dad! it seems creator seth macfarlane is the one that's happier, as he has more space to fly.

i can definitely understand if there's a consensus among american dad! lovers on how family guy is simply 'overrated'. but while i wouldn't go so far as to risk getting bombed with hatemail, i'd definitely say that american dad! is simply genius (for roger's character alone) & aims for a more specific group of ppl..........which is MY group of ppl. yours too, if you like the show.

it is a fraternity with secret handshakes & inside jokes.
  • This is a great show to watch and it is not for kids because it has some adult humor.

I love this show it is one of my favorite because it was made by the guy that made family guy and he is a funny person because of the stuff he comes up with. One of my favorite characters is Steve he is funny and he always does something stupid and that is what i like in a character someone that is outgoing and not afraid to do anything unless it to much. The thing that i like about this show the most though is the humor they come up with the funniest things to say it like its real life and im not even watching tv. I know that i have said this in all of my reviews but go see my brothers reviews they are way better than mine hes name is tigerdude22.
  • It might be a little inappropiate for kids under 14, but this is a good, and entertaining show!

Unlike Fanily Guy, and The Cleaveland Show, I find this show real entertaibing and funny, I like FG, and TCS too, but I like this show better. It's gross at times, but not as gross as FG. Stan is a CIA agent living with his whife, Francine, thier kids, Steve and Haykey, an alien named Rodger, and a goldfish named Klaus, who is really a German Olypic skiier. The family is okay, but the most funniest are Klaus and Rodger, espcially when they are together. They are like the comady duo in the family. They are good and sometimes bad together (In a funny way through). I like where thier family was disgussing something else and they just talk about Grey's Anatomy. Also when Stan was doing exercises in front of his family, it was funny when Klaus screamed, "You are freaking me out!" I also liked how Klaus saved his family from being oermantly memorized to a Simon game, and he became king of aother planet or something. However, this show is rated TV14 for a reason. Like FG, and TCS, this show has same inappropiate language, and garbage that young kids shouldn't see or hear. Wait until they're in high school, and then, they can watch this great american adult cartoon.
  • Painful and Unsatisfied. What a waste of my time, Hope next season would not be worse than ever.

2.5
    Stan is still a compete jackass, he even don't want to spend time with his wife and he refused to say no to his boss.

Roger is even more self centered as ever including cheating on the smiths with other families.

Steve had a chance to win Lisa Sliver Heart but his Parents including Roger ruined it. Steve tries to stand up against Lisa Silver and her friends against being bullied but failed, even Stan still abuse Steve on three episodes, no four, wait five.

and Worse Steve got drunk without knowing that he dated with ugly women and Roger showed it in all of his school students.

The Season was OK and still horrible, You know that this show doesn't happened in real life, no wait? who knows.
  • Way better than Family Guy

CIA Agent Stan Smith takes life very CIA-y. His wife, Francine is a blondie who loves him, but they tend to find as every other couple in McFarlane universe. His daughter Hayley is kind of a hippie gal. Steve is a nerd and I hate him, so as most of the show revolves about him, I dislike most of the show. But I have come to tolerate him. Then we have Roger the ALien, and he is pretty damn funny! Last but not least is Klaus, some german man who was put in a fish body due to an experiment. That0s why he likes Francine's butt. Look at that 111 words!
  • Better than Family Guy and The Simpsons.

Yeah, I said it. This show is better than both Family Guy and The Simpsons, because it's really fresh, and there is no episode of it that I hate, or even don't like. I love every episode of this show. But, in my opinion, this is one of those shows that you either love or you hate. This show is from Seth MacFarlane, the creator of Family Guy, and Mike Barker and Matt Weitzman. This show is very unique, and I don't know why everyone calls it a cheap knock-off of Family Guy. They're totally different shows. American Dad! is about a CIA agent, while Family Guy is about a fat guy. How are they the same? While I love both shows, American Dad! is definitely superior to Family Guy.
  • almost better than Family Guy

One word for this show... great. American Dad is just great. It has the alien rodger and a bunch of other wild characters. At the end of last season, I believe that this show was the best on animation domination. Then Family Guy got back up to number one this year since American Dad just kept on talking about stan's promblems. They have stop doing that and now it's even better than before. I love everything about this show and every character is funny. From the alien to the talking fish, this show is amazing and I hope that it doesn't end. Keep it up.
  • Funny

I don't watch the show a lot but from what I have seen it is quite funny. It's a lot better than Seth's other two shows, I think. It's generally funnier, has better plots, and has better characters. I think it's probably Sunday Night Fox best cartoon... it is just so well-written and funny, I think anyone who has not seen it should go see an episode right now. I do not think they would regret this at all. My overall grade, from what I have seen, is an A+, an all around funny show. Well don e makers, well done
  • Lovin It

I've only seen like 2-3 episodes, and I'm already a huge fan. This show is about typical conservative father, Stan Smith, who works as a CIA agent, and lives with his two kids, dumb kid Steve, and liberal hippie Hayley. Oh, and they have an alien named Roger who lives with them. The stories are like Family Guy (Seth MacFarlene's other show) but strive to be far less random than it's distant cousin of a show. The characters also have stronger personalities than that of Family Guy. Alot of distrubing stuff happens too (Hayley sleeps with Stan's boss!?) but it's all for laughs. Keep it up Seth. 10/10 A+
  • A great show !

I will not compare it to Family guy nor to the Cleveland Show, because American Dad has its own place and standards. Even a single episode is not boring. the show just keeps entertaining with its head-on jokes or even with its own subtleties.

Merging an American family whose Family Guy is a CIA agent with an Alien is the greatest of all, giving way to hilarious scenes.

I do hope the show continues without an end, or gets worse in time just as Family Guy.

Only thing I expect more from American Dad is an hour long episode. That's the only thing missing.

All in All, the show is a 10.
  • FOX dont screw this one up

American Dad is another creation from the mind of Seth MacFarlane which has been getting more funny as the seasons go on. Recently Fox moved this show to an earlier time slot the dreaded 6:30 slot the slot that all shows have meet or come close to their doom like Futurama and Sons of Tuscan. American Dad however I feel is a strong enough show to survive until Bobs Burgers gets canceled(which should be soon I hope) and move everything back to place.One of my favorite shows since I dont really watch much T.V. because to me there just isn't much on worth watching except cartoons these days.
  • People need to stop looking for Family Guy in this gem

American Dad, the second animated sitcom from the creator of Family Guy. It's a show that suffers GREATLY from little brother syndrome (as I call it). Everybody expects it to be like it's older brother, and in return misses out on just how great it is. The show centers around Stan Smith, an American CIA agent who fills almost every US stereotype and his family. The Meat of American Dad is in it's political and current event jokes. It basically is the complete opposite of what people were expecting. Unlike Family Guy, American Dad's humor isn't made up of completely irrelevant flashbacks and random callbacks to the 70's and 80's. American Dad uses it's plot to come up with absolutely side aching jokes. I'm gonna be completely honest here. I absolutely hate Family Guy, but am in love with American Dad. Maybe people are too impatient or maybe just too dumb to appreciate just how much better American Dad is. Maybe it's possible they don't even watch the news or something, as American Dad is built on Current Events. Either way, this show is grossly under appreciated and it makes me sad that garbage like Family Guy gets praise, while something wonderful like American Dad is left out in the cold because it isn't "stupid enough".
  • In three seasons American Dad! went from okay to awesome.

American Dad! is the story of CIA agent Stan Smith and his family. His family happens to include an alien who saved Stan's life in Area 51 and a fish with the brain of an East German Olympic skiier. Let the wackiness begin!

When the show started, I wasn't all that crazy about it. I thought it was funny and all, but it just seemed like Family Guy (it was created by the same person) with a political twist. Around season 2 Seth seemed to realize that he could make American Dad! into a different kind of show, and it improved immensely. The wacky humor and Stan's insane over-reacting were pulled back just a touch and the characters gained more distinct personalities, making the audience care more about them. Also, the Family Guy-style jokes (such as cut-aways and direct movie/TV parodies) are now kept to a minimum in favor of story-driven humor. By the latest season (season 3 as of this writing) the show gained the magic that The Simpsons once possessed: a goofy animated comedy but with characters that you can relate to and care about.

Simply put, American Dad! is the perfect blend of humor and thoughtful writing. Let's hope the writers can manage to keep it that way for a long time.
  • Fox should have quit while they are ahead.

Fox was thrilled with Family guy (just look at the spin-off series the cleveland show). Fox is trying to keep the animation gravy train rolling. This show has the worst plot on the planet. LOOK at it. The guy is an idiot dad (like all other shows) a smart mom, and heres the kicker it has a talking gold fish. I mean was Brian not enough for them. No it couldn't just be a goldfish it is a GERMAN in a goldfish's body. Please guys dont get me started on the alien. Fox should be happy with the sucess they got from family guy and stop there.
  • American fail.

I watched the first three episodes of this new series. I thought that they had some pretty good jokes, while others fell flat (or worse). And yes, this show has some similarities to Family Guy, but if you go in expecting it to be the same or just as funny, you will be let down. Instead, accept that the characters may not be original, but give the show a chance to be good in its own way. I have and I think it's a pretty fun show. As I said above, not the best, but not the worst.

I love animation, but there are other cartoon shows (probably most of the ones I'm familiar with right now) that I would much rather be watching than American Dad, ones which, unlike this one, have actually held up well for me over time.
  • This is an American Comedy Show for mindless drones who can't understand the better Comedy which is British and or Live on tv.(No offense

I don't like this show. Not only is it really bad comedy wise(haven't laughed once) but complete vulgarity. The jokes have no punchline. The show is a total bad influence on young children whose parents don't restrict bad tv. The dad/CSI agent, Stan, suspects every imigrant,is racist, and hates obese people. i find this offensive because I haev black people in my family and one of my very favourite hawaiian singers is obese but has a wonderful voice!
    The show should be cancelled with no replays. It's a horrible influence and a somewhat racist/offensive show. I really won't let any of my kids(if ever I have any) watch this.
  • A spin off of Family Guy gone wrong.

5.2
    Not only is this show very unoriginal, but the show also is not very interesting to begin with, for some reason the main purpose of the show which is to attain laughter from the audience seems to not work too well. I find the show an inferior version of Family Guy. The characters and how the show transpires as well. I can understand the animation being very similar, as it shares people who work on Family Guy, but really the jokes are not funny, the characters are not too likable in my opinion, and there are better animated shows out there.
  • As Good As Family Guy?

I love this show. It's such a relief to see a show like "American Dad," especially on Fox. It can't be helped that some people are too unconscious to understand the desperately needed, hilarious criticism that it offers. It's "Sullivan's Travels" meets "Dr. Strangelove," rolled up into an animated series. Yeah, it's probably too smart for the masses, but we have to start somewhere. If it's marketed like "The Family Guy," during DVD release, then hopefully it will later be recognized for its absolute brilliance. Speaking of brilliance, airing the first episode immediately after the Super Bowl was unquestionably the most impeccably timed programming in the history of television. Did I mention that I love this show? That I need this show for sustenance?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10