American Dad!

Monday 9:30 PM on TBS Premiered Feb 06, 2005 In Season

TVTome_Shadow

American Dad! Fan Reviews page 4 of 24

• Way better than Family Guy

CIA Agent Stan Smith takes life very CIA-y. His wife, Francine is a blondie who loves him, but they tend to find as every other couple in McFarlane universe. His daughter Hayley is kind of a hippie gal. Steve is a nerd and I hate him, so as most of the show revolves about him, I dislike most of the show. But I have come to tolerate him. Then we have Roger the ALien, and he is pretty damn funny! Last but not least is Klaus, some german man who was put in a fish body due to an experiment. That0s why he likes Francine's butt. Look at that 111 words!
  • Better than Family Guy and The Simpsons.

Yeah, I said it. This show is better than both Family Guy and The Simpsons, because it's really fresh, and there is no episode of it that I hate, or even don't like. I love every episode of this show. But, in my opinion, this is one of those shows that you either love or you hate. This show is from Seth MacFarlane, the creator of Family Guy, and Mike Barker and Matt Weitzman. This show is very unique, and I don't know why everyone calls it a cheap knock-off of Family Guy. They're totally different shows. American Dad! is about a CIA agent, while Family Guy is about a fat guy. How are they the same? While I love both shows, American Dad! is definitely superior to Family Guy.
  • almost better than Family Guy

One word for this show... great. American Dad is just great. It has the alien rodger and a bunch of other wild characters. At the end of last season, I believe that this show was the best on animation domination. Then Family Guy got back up to number one this year since American Dad just kept on talking about stan's promblems. They have stop doing that and now it's even better than before. I love everything about this show and every character is funny. From the alien to the talking fish, this show is amazing and I hope that it doesn't end. Keep it up.
  • Funny

I don't watch the show a lot but from what I have seen it is quite funny. It's a lot better than Seth's other two shows, I think. It's generally funnier, has better plots, and has better characters. I think it's probably Sunday Night Fox best cartoon... it is just so well-written and funny, I think anyone who has not seen it should go see an episode right now. I do not think they would regret this at all. My overall grade, from what I have seen, is an A+, an all around funny show. Well don e makers, well done
  • Lovin It

I've only seen like 2-3 episodes, and I'm already a huge fan. This show is about typical conservative father, Stan Smith, who works as a CIA agent, and lives with his two kids, dumb kid Steve, and liberal hippie Hayley. Oh, and they have an alien named Roger who lives with them. The stories are like Family Guy (Seth MacFarlene's other show) but strive to be far less random than it's distant cousin of a show. The characters also have stronger personalities than that of Family Guy. Alot of distrubing stuff happens too (Hayley sleeps with Stan's boss!?) but it's all for laughs. Keep it up Seth. 10/10 A+
  • A great show !

I will not compare it to Family guy nor to the Cleveland Show, because American Dad has its own place and standards. Even a single episode is not boring. the show just keeps entertaining with its head-on jokes or even with its own subtleties.

Merging an American family whose Family Guy is a CIA agent with an Alien is the greatest of all, giving way to hilarious scenes.

I do hope the show continues without an end, or gets worse in time just as Family Guy.

Only thing I expect more from American Dad is an hour long episode. That's the only thing missing.

All in All, the show is a 10.
  • FOX dont screw this one up

American Dad is another creation from the mind of Seth MacFarlane which has been getting more funny as the seasons go on. Recently Fox moved this show to an earlier time slot the dreaded 6:30 slot the slot that all shows have meet or come close to their doom like Futurama and Sons of Tuscan. American Dad however I feel is a strong enough show to survive until Bobs Burgers gets canceled(which should be soon I hope) and move everything back to place.One of my favorite shows since I dont really watch much T.V. because to me there just isn't much on worth watching except cartoons these days.
  • People need to stop looking for Family Guy in this gem

American Dad, the second animated sitcom from the creator of Family Guy. It's a show that suffers GREATLY from little brother syndrome (as I call it). Everybody expects it to be like it's older brother, and in return misses out on just how great it is. The show centers around Stan Smith, an American CIA agent who fills almost every US stereotype and his family. The Meat of American Dad is in it's political and current event jokes. It basically is the complete opposite of what people were expecting. Unlike Family Guy, American Dad's humor isn't made up of completely irrelevant flashbacks and random callbacks to the 70's and 80's. American Dad uses it's plot to come up with absolutely side aching jokes. I'm gonna be completely honest here. I absolutely hate Family Guy, but am in love with American Dad. Maybe people are too impatient or maybe just too dumb to appreciate just how much better American Dad is. Maybe it's possible they don't even watch the news or something, as American Dad is built on Current Events. Either way, this show is grossly under appreciated and it makes me sad that garbage like Family Guy gets praise, while something wonderful like American Dad is left out in the cold because it isn't "stupid enough".
  • In three seasons American Dad! went from okay to awesome.

American Dad! is the story of CIA agent Stan Smith and his family. His family happens to include an alien who saved Stan's life in Area 51 and a fish with the brain of an East German Olympic skiier. Let the wackiness begin!

When the show started, I wasn't all that crazy about it. I thought it was funny and all, but it just seemed like Family Guy (it was created by the same person) with a political twist. Around season 2 Seth seemed to realize that he could make American Dad! into a different kind of show, and it improved immensely. The wacky humor and Stan's insane over-reacting were pulled back just a touch and the characters gained more distinct personalities, making the audience care more about them. Also, the Family Guy-style jokes (such as cut-aways and direct movie/TV parodies) are now kept to a minimum in favor of story-driven humor. By the latest season (season 3 as of this writing) the show gained the magic that The Simpsons once possessed: a goofy animated comedy but with characters that you can relate to and care about.

Simply put, American Dad! is the perfect blend of humor and thoughtful writing. Let's hope the writers can manage to keep it that way for a long time.
  • Fox should have quit while they are ahead.

Fox was thrilled with Family guy (just look at the spin-off series the cleveland show). Fox is trying to keep the animation gravy train rolling. This show has the worst plot on the planet. LOOK at it. The guy is an idiot dad (like all other shows) a smart mom, and heres the kicker it has a talking gold fish. I mean was Brian not enough for them. No it couldn't just be a goldfish it is a GERMAN in a goldfish's body. Please guys dont get me started on the alien. Fox should be happy with the sucess they got from family guy and stop there.
  • American fail.

I watched the first three episodes of this new series. I thought that they had some pretty good jokes, while others fell flat (or worse). And yes, this show has some similarities to Family Guy, but if you go in expecting it to be the same or just as funny, you will be let down. Instead, accept that the characters may not be original, but give the show a chance to be good in its own way. I have and I think it's a pretty fun show. As I said above, not the best, but not the worst.

I love animation, but there are other cartoon shows (probably most of the ones I'm familiar with right now) that I would much rather be watching than American Dad, ones which, unlike this one, have actually held up well for me over time.
  • This is an American Comedy Show for mindless drones who can't understand the better Comedy which is British and or Live on tv.(No offense

I don't like this show. Not only is it really bad comedy wise(haven't laughed once) but complete vulgarity. The jokes have no punchline. The show is a total bad influence on young children whose parents don't restrict bad tv. The dad/CSI agent, Stan, suspects every imigrant,is racist, and hates obese people. i find this offensive because I haev black people in my family and one of my very favourite hawaiian singers is obese but has a wonderful voice!
    The show should be cancelled with no replays. It's a horrible influence and a somewhat racist/offensive show. I really won't let any of my kids(if ever I have any) watch this.
  • A spin off of Family Guy gone wrong.

5.2
    Not only is this show very unoriginal, but the show also is not very interesting to begin with, for some reason the main purpose of the show which is to attain laughter from the audience seems to not work too well. I find the show an inferior version of Family Guy. The characters and how the show transpires as well. I can understand the animation being very similar, as it shares people who work on Family Guy, but really the jokes are not funny, the characters are not too likable in my opinion, and there are better animated shows out there.
  • As Good As Family Guy?

I love this show. It's such a relief to see a show like "American Dad," especially on Fox. It can't be helped that some people are too unconscious to understand the desperately needed, hilarious criticism that it offers. It's "Sullivan's Travels" meets "Dr. Strangelove," rolled up into an animated series. Yeah, it's probably too smart for the masses, but we have to start somewhere. If it's marketed like "The Family Guy," during DVD release, then hopefully it will later be recognized for its absolute brilliance. Speaking of brilliance, airing the first episode immediately after the Super Bowl was unquestionably the most impeccably timed programming in the history of television. Did I mention that I love this show? That I need this show for sustenance?
  • Great TV show

The show is one of Seth Macfarlane's funniest show to date, I would say that this show is a sometimes funnier version of family guy, but with a storyline. The show stars Stan Smith a family man who works for the CIA, his home-maker wife Francine, his stoner, hippie daughter Hayley, his nerd of a son Steve, an alien named roger who saved Stan's life and now lives with the family and is sometimes Stan's best friend, and a fish named Klaus who was a German skier before having his brain transferred into a body of a fish. this show has good story lines and good humor to go along with it.
  • A great show, but not for the kids....

This is one of my favorite shows of all time! Yeah, I said it. This show is better than Family Guy!!!!! They don't use any stupid jokes that pop out of nowhere to annoy anyone. I love almost every episode of this show. But, I have to say, I don't think it's better than The Simpsons (although the newer ones are very medicore). This show was obviouly created by the man who made Family Guy, with a few other guys. Roger the Alien is so funny lolz! A show about a CIA agent is such a unique idea. The reason I think it's not better than The Simpsons is because The Simpsons have a movie, Duff Beer, Barney, Bart, and my fave character...."HOMER!!!!!!!" But lets not get into that!!! :p But I just don't understand why this show has much lower ratings than Family Guy, this show's got better plots I tell ya!!!! Better Plots!!!! *gasp* BETTER PlOtS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Family Guy is going downhill for god sake!

Grade: A+
  • Good Morning USA!

American Dad started off slow. I hardly knew about it and thought that it was just another Family Guy. Three Years ago I found that all to be a huge mistake. American Dad is the show I always watch before I turn in. I think that the whole plot in particular is very funny. Great Humour, we don't so much humour these days, but American Dad brings back the classic humour I love. It's definitely up there on my list with Futurama and Family Guy. My favourite character in the Family would have to be Cluas. He's just so funny and Roger is a treat to watch. Stan is hilarious, he just won't get the message when it's time to stop and that makes me laugh histericuly! The interaction between all of the Family memebers is something to keep in the show at all times! American Dad should be right along with Family Guy and Futurama in the Cartoon Comedy classics in years to come! Give American Dad a go! It took a couple of episodes before I got into it, but After I got through that, I was stuck to the TV!!
  • With Family Guy and The Simpsons aside it is better then the rest of the crap on TV!

Yea so its not family guy!! That's the point! Its an other show based on the same humor! But its in completely different context! It is still a hilarious show by all means. Other then Family Guy, American Dad! and the Simpson's what other animated "Adult" cartoons, still in production, are worth a damn?.....Times up bytches! There are none! Its all pokemom japanigay crap!!! So unless you like nonsese jibberish bullcrap cartoons drawn by kids in a sweatshop shut up and be greatful there is one more animated series worth watching!
  • 100% Unique!

This show is it's own little creation,as is every other show created by Seth. The characters are great in this show,Rodger, an alien with multiple personalities, does it get any more unique? I love the story's for every episode, they are the kind that keep you watching, because you know there will be a laugh around the corner, as the same with family guy, and others. I also love how this show just keeps coming back at you with new funny things, just as you may think they are running out, a few weeks later, an absolutely hilarious episode comes out. I can tell this is another show I won't stop watching.
  • i like it

american dad is a great show. its a funny and original show. every episode is good theres never been an episode that ive hated the show keeps getting better. here is my score for the 5 seasons of the show
    season 1 7 out of 10
    season 2 8 out of 10
    season 3 9 out of 10
    season 4 9 out of 10
    season 5 10 out of 10
    if youve havent seen it or seen it in the past and didnt like it give it another chance. . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . .
  • One of the best shows fox has ever had.

This is one show I can tell had a lot of thought put into making it, it has a funny plot, funny characters, especially Roger :). It's one of my favorite shows to be on tv for a lot of reasons, seth has an amazing way of getting into people's minds and finding out what's funny to them, and this show is a great example of how he does that. Seth tests out things that he wants to put on Family Guy, on this show, and at that, he does a very good job of making it funny, keep up the good work!
  • American Dad is about CIA Agent Stan Smith and his adventures with his family adn undiscovered alien from Area 51.

This show is okay. It's just that it's to similar to Family Guy. The stupid father, sensible mother, uncool sister, and nerdy son. Instead of an intelligent baby we get an undiscovered alien from area 51. Even though it's the same chemistry as Family Guy it's still one of the best animated shows on telivision. It has original characters, especially Rodger the Alien. American Dad is created by Seth Macfarlane, creator of Family Guy and he doesn't disapoint us with American Dad. Seth Macfarlane's shows are the best. Overall I give American Dad a 7.5. Watch Family Guy, The Cleveland Show, The Winner, and American Dad, all Seth's shows.
  • american dad is family guys younger brother

I like this show alot when it first appeared in 2005 a liked it. Stan smith works for the CIA and gets into alot of mischief just like peter griffin. His son steve is a ladys man and is desperate (well in my opinion any ways) to get a girl friend. his daughter haley his sort of a hippy and protects nature. A alien that saved his life once is now is best friend and lives in the family attic and discuises alot and likes celebrities. then theres his wife francine watch the show to fing out about herand the talking fish all in all american dad is a patriotic show coming from a canadian like me
  • Never thought I say this: Better than Family

When you compare this episode to the Family Guy one that aired the same night, Love Blacktually, you have to agree that this is the better episode. Why you ask? Simple. The Plot and the jokes.

In Family Guy's episode reused the same plot line of Brain finding a new girl and becomes frustrated when he doesn't get some all the while adding bad jokes and one sided political statements; otherwise, everything we hate about it today.

But here, they properly balance of the characters to move the story forward. Stan and Fran fear of their kids' puberty was priceless. Roger's jealousy of Steve was on the ball from start to end. The last scene of 16 candles was the funniest thing I've seen from Seth all this year because it was so fitting.

It's getting hard tell that reason why American Dad is so popular either because they're better than Family Guy or Family Guy is doing worse on purpose. But still, I would watch this show over any of the newer Family Guy episodes this year.
  • A hilarious show, with humor similar to Family Guy, but more realistic. Unlike Family Guy, it ALWAYS has good plots, so therefore does not have to rely on humor (Im not saying Family Guy doesn't have good plots, its just American Dad always does).

7.9
    American Dad is really really funny, but one of the reasons its not as popular as Family Guy, is most likely because some people compare it to Family Guy. They are quite different shows, and I'm beginning to stop laughing as much at Family Guy, because it is hardly realistic (By realistic, I mean most of the stuff they do on American Dad is stuff that you could imagine happening), and its great to have a show with similar humor that is more realistic (but still far from real life, e.g one of the main characters in an alien). My least favourite character is Steve. I just think he is unnecessary, and annoying. But all the other characters are funny. Some people just need to accept that this is not a clone of Family Guy and it wasn't trying to be either. Seth McFarlane wanted to do something different here, and in my opinion (but not everyones), I think it's better in some ways.
  • Better than Family Guy. Yeah, you heard me.

It's a crying shame that this incredible comedy had to live in the cold lame shadow of Family Guy. The Family Guy fans don't like it because it competes with their beloved show and the Family Guy haters don't like it because they think it's Family Guy Part II. The truth is, this show has surpassed Family Guy, which has become more and more lame over the last few years, and become a comedy unto itself with stories and gags that Family Guy and The Simpsons just cannot touch.

Yet, this show is still derided because of the Family Guy connection. Truthfully, it's one of the few shows I watch regularly every week. It's amazing.
  • If you haven't seen this show yet.....it will change your life :P

This show redefines what amazing script writing is all about. It's edgier and funnier than Family Guy, Written and produced by the same team...but a lot more Adult oriented. If you noticed the time slots for this show it was in this order:
    - Cleveland Show
    - Family Guys
    - American Dad

IN that order....and in order of edginess...
    Cleveland show is not super crazy, or controversial...Family Guys ups that up and is a bit more aggressive.
    You will also notice the Parents and the Family in Family guy are the Fat sad average American Family.
    American Dad the last show of the night (Later because more kids are in bed at that time they don't need to hold back anymore) brings the crazyness to a whole new level.
    It has some of the best crafted characters in TV's history. The jokes and humor will surprise you every few seconds.

THe Family in American Dad are the Top Notch successful American family, jock dad, hot mum....disturbed hippy kid and the nerdy kid. Add to that Roger the best character ever invented and you have an amazing cast of fun.
    I mean it doesn't take much....watch 1 episode you will be floored.

It's so clever and so random it blows my mind. Roger is such a Limitless character...probably the best character ever created for cartoons.

Highly Recommended check out samples on Hulu it will amaze you.
    Thank you Seth and your team for making such a great show!

-Naik.
  • Wow... an unbelievable rip-off of Family Guy.

2.1
    After watching "Rodger Codger" for about 5 minutes and turning the channel to something worth watching, a question popped in my head: Why was this show made? It is a rip-off of Family Guy, from the same type of humor both shows use, down to the drawing. This show has absolutely no point in airing anymore, since it resembles Family Guy so much. If you kept track of my reviews, you'll see that I love Family Guy, even though I think it was ripped-off of The Simpsons. Why? Because Family Guy proved itself funnier than The Simpsons. American Dad didn't. Family Guy was, is, and always will be this poor excuse people call a show.
  • american dad perhaps the funnest or one of the top funnest shows on animation domination

american dad a really funny show . a show that has a cia agent for a dad and a son that is an nerd a sister that is a nature protester and a alien that lives with them and wife that is always tring to help and pet fish that is always tring to get with stans wife. roger is perhaps the funnest or one of the best charaters apart of that show he says alot of out rages stuff and does alot of outrages things. and is always tring to get and be out in the real world. and stan is always tring to protect his family but doing crazy things like send his steve to campe and when the new neigbors move in he thinks there terriorist. which is hilioris. i think its great show and it brings some new stuff to animation domination and i even think its more funnier then family guy right now with the decline in that show.
  • Catchy.

You always want to watch more of American dad, even though I find it very vulgar and at times offensive. But hey - i have a sense of humor. What is striking about the show is the unexpectedness of the plot. I mean,, you watch the show and yu can never guess what will happen next. Pretty much like the Simpsons, but in a more chaotic, i'd even say absurd way. Absurd which is funny.

Of course, the aim of the show remains the same - a parody on contemporary america and all culture alltogether, but it is doen in a very original way.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10