American Dad!

Sunday 9:30 PM on FOX Premiered Feb 06, 2005 In Season

TVTome_Shadow

American Dad! Fan Reviews page 5 of 23

• American dad follows the lives of the Smith family. Stan a CI agent protects his family and the world from terrorists. Francine his beautiful but naive wife. Hailey the teen drama queen . Steve the awkward 14 year old son and Roger the Alien shut-in.

This show is pretty good. I love the Smith family. My favorite Charaters are Stan and Francine. Stan is paranoid and obsessed with keeping the country safe and keeping American the good old fashion way. Francine is so naive yet so funny. Roger the family Alien is also pretty funny. I love all his disguises and his heavey drinking. This show makes me laugh at least five times an episode. The only charater I don't care for is Claus the fish. He dosen't do anything. I would have had Claus be a Dog like Brian from Family Guy or a cat at least.
  • While American Dad may not be the most original of shows, it is definitely one of the funniest.

From the mastermind who brought you the awesome Family Guy, comes American Dad, a hilarious show about CIA agent Stan Smith and his strange family. So basically, American Dad has to be good, right? It has the same writers of Family Guy and some of the same voices. Not necessarily. American Dad could of come been a not funny, knock off of Family Guy. But it isn't. It is hilarious, to me just as funny as Family Guy. It uses story related jokes in place of Family Guy's cutaway gags. I guess you could say that American Dad's characters are similar to those of Family Guy.A dim witted father, a not so loved daughter, a geeky son, a supportive wife, and a talking animal. But then theres Roger. Roger is an alien who drinks, smokes, and watches TV in the Smith's attic. Did I mention that he is the best character in the show? While every character in American Dad has some funny lines, Roger has the most. It seems that American Dad used to live in the shadow of Family Guy, but now it is starting to rise up. With that said, American Dad isn't for everyone, but for Family Guy fans and Simpsons fans alike, it sure is a good cartoon.
  • Another great addition to the world of animated sitcoms.

It is unfortunate that forever American Dad! will forever be compared to Family Guy and even more unfortunate that it's future probably depends on it's continuing success. As a Family Guy fan from the outset it worried me that American Dad! wouldn't be able to match the success that Family Guy had and continues to have. However, when I watched it, it automatically captured a place in my heart. In my opinion it is in fact a better show than Family Guy. Since season 1 the show has gone from strength to strength with continually funny story lines and great character development. The show itself centers around a dysfunctional family, known as the Smiths. Stan, an ultra-conservative Republican is the undoubted star of the show who's arguments with liberal minded Haylie, his daughter, make the show what it is. Roger, an illegal alien, literally, gives the audience more comedy with his irreverent humour and selfish nature. Where as Steve, Klaus, the fish, and Francine make up the rest of the show they also provide us with many more laughs. So far American Dad! has laughed it's way through almost four seasons and In my opinion has taken over from Family Guy as the best animated sitcom on TV. Some episodes may be ridiculous at times but that's what makes the show great. It is unfortunate that American Dad! however has failed to draw in the same audiences and as such has been on the ropes for the last couple of years. I sincerely hope that FOX continues to keep this show running as long as the writers want to do it. Canceling this show would be a huge mistake and in my opinion this show deserves a much higher score that it currently boasts on this website. Bottom line: tune in, you wont be disappointed.
  • American Dad is an animated show about Stan (who works at the CIA), his family, and the alien they hide in the attic and the talking goldfish they own.

I never intended to watch American Dad, but one after while channel surfing a joke caught my attention and I've been hooked ever since. I had been a little wary of this show because of the whole talking goldfish and the alien living in the attic scenario that they have going on. I mean, I love Brian on the Family Guy, but a fish and an alien? Come on. It just seems like it would be a bit much.

I was very wrong! This show is hilarious. It takes a LOT (and I mean a lot!) from a TV show/Movie to get me to laugh out loud, and while watching an episode of American Dad I will laugh out loud at least a couple of times. I'm usually laughing like crazy throughout the whole show, though! The characters are insanely funny and easy to like. Roger (the alien) is one of my favorites! You just have to love and feel sorry for Roger. Some of the story lines are a bit much, but it just makes for an even funnier episode. I believe the show is now 6 seasons strong, and it just keeps getting better and better. This is definitely a series I could own on DVD and watch over and over. If you enjoy Family Guy, I can almost guarantee that you will love American Dad.
  • What do people have against this program?

Oh wait, lemme guess...you saw the 1st season and was like "That was utter crap!"...If you were one of those people then STFU. The first season wasn't exactly something to be watched over and over except the last two episodes. Season 2 was a huge improvement and made character's better. Season 3 was a gigantic improvement and made nearly the characters good (minus Haley). And with Season 4 (so far) it is the best season and Steve is one of the funniest character's in this season cos of his non-stop yelling (the one where he says to Roger "I'LL KILL YOU!!!" and also when he fights the cat non-stop, especially when he yells "AH! WHAT THE HELL!!!...SON OF A WHORE!!!) Haley is good in one episode where she goes on a rampage. The other characters are still funny. However, there is one bad point which that there isn't enough singing from Seth MacFarlene. He has an amazing voice. He sings alot in Family Guy as Brian. I want to see him sing more as Stan.

Overall it's a great program that is getting better and better. It's not as good as Family Guy but ti still manages to be funny.
  • Funny as hell.

Twisted soul that I am, I think American Dad is a close runner up to Family Guy as one of the funniest shows on telivision. The chemistry between the characters isn't quite as good as with those of Family Guy but it's there none the less and I love a show that takes as many chances as the ones Seth Macfarlane and crew come up with. A recurring theme in the books I've written is truth is stranger than fiction, but I swear there was a regular customer of mine while I was driving a hack at nights that was just like Roger the Alien. Speaking from personal experience, American Dad is almost weird enough to qualify as truth.
  • A cartoon comedy.

I LOVE THIS SHOW, too badd (for me) that it is bearly ever on TV. am i rightt? I believe that the show needs to be aried more than once a week on fox 8. At first i found this show a tadd weirdd, but once i started to watch it a couple of timess i became obssesed with it andd lovedd it soo much. It is soo funnyy andd cann alwayss makee u laughtt. Trust me. Stan makee the show extremly funny becuase he is a CIA agents and has an alien living in his housee? what the. haha

ANY wayy i recommend this showw to anyonee whoo feelss likeee a goood LAUGH
  • Stans over thinking things never seems to make things boring.

After Stand finds out that Francine was once engaged to another man but she thought he had died in a plain crash, she married Stan. Stan unsettled by this decides to find him and find out how great he is, he does and he's great.So he decides to "disapear" for a while and see if she'll rekindle to flame with her ex fiance.

He disapears, hides camera's, (she knows about the cameras because Stan is a total idiot,as we all know and is one of the things that makes us come back every week) so to trick Stan she gets together with this guy and has sex with him for 3 monthes, and Stan comes back. They talk and Stan finds out that Francine didn't settle.

The subplot is a rather funny one where Steve sees a cat get run over and it keeps scartching him, it's rather funny.

Very funny episode, predictable, but there are some very funny weird plot twists.
  • Great Comedy!

A spin off of Family Guy. But its good! Usually spin-offs aren't good, but this one is. I like the Humor, it has nice smooth Animation like family guy, the dialogue is not corny, and the storyline is great. Its also a original Idea that a father working in the CIA with a alien part of his family. Its a very good idea. But i have nothing else to say about this show. Oh well, max max max max max max nax dfhs asdgjgfd gajhgh gdajgdskl gjsdl;jlfd osdihfsosdf shdsghphf shgupjigfgfhjisfigh ihdjdgh gpjgf;ph ioshnjhf hpsojh hjshgisjpsoh ihsgpjh ihspnh ushp hs9pj hp9sd hdpi9aejnh agdh9phadji! Sorry! Had nothing else to say!
  • The tables appear to have turned!

I remember when American Dad first came out, to less-than-stellar reviews. Many people hated it because its humor didn't come close to matching that of the more popular Family Guy, and people criticized its originality because it was another show about a family, like Family Guy, and by extension, The Simpsons. But somehow, over the next few seasons, the writing got better, and funnier, while Family Guy's quality dropped. Now, IMO, it has the best writing of any show currently on Fox. Of course, it's not at the level of Futurama, but American Dad is currently Seth MacFarlane's better creation. I like how it has jokes that are relevant to the plot, thoughtful stories, and character development, some elements that are lacking on Family Guy. I just hope more and more people start to appreciate the show, as it seems to have turned over a new leaf.
  • Another Seth MacFaralan Classic.

So American dad was created by the best mind of all time Seth MacFaralan(Sorry for spelling) I have to say it's not as good as Family Guy and its not flawless but it's still pretty great. Graphics 8.5/10
    Sound 8/10
    Comedy level 9/10
    Realistic level 7.9/10
    So over all I give this show an 8.5 out of 10. Not perfect not bad but pretty dang good. So if you like Seth MacFaralan,Family Guy,The Simpsons,King f the Hill, Futurama or any other animated comedy show you'll love American Dad! So what are you waiting for go turn on a T.V. and flip to adult swim or Fox and start watching American Dad! Today!
  • American Dad is at the top its game in an age of waning cartoons.

American Dad started out unoriginal and awful, a Family Guy clone with less spark than a damp toothpick. Thankfully, it has built itself up and is now the best cartoon on television, thanks in part to the declining quality of Family Guy and the Simpsons. American Dad's characters started out generic and uninvolved, but they've come a long way and now are all individual and interesting. I can't wait for the fourth season to start, and hope it won't be cancelled. As many may know, it's ratings are quite low and un-impressive. Hopefully this trend will end, and American Dad will get it's much-deserved glory day.
  • American Dad is a very good show that is worth watching.

American Dad is written by Seth McFarlane so you obviously know that it is going to be a quality show, the standard of episodes just gets better and better. Sometimes the storyline goes a bit overboard but the jokes don't. It is quite similar to Family Guy just instead of Two kids and a baby its two kids and an alien and theres barely ever any flashbacks. Series 3 & 4 are the best because the storylines are original. American Dad is a great show and if they keep making new episodes and the quality keeps rising i think this show is going to be just as good as Family Guy if not better.
  • The biggest source of comedy is the tension between Stan (a member of the CIA) and his liberal daughter Hayle. Other sources of funny-ness are the talking fish Clouse and Roger an alien that live in the family's attic.

American Dad is created by the same people that brought us Family Guy, and it has a lot of the same feeling to it. The characters are very different, and look very different, but the same art style used in Family Buy is used here. It isn't just a carbon copy of Family Guy, it has its own merits and stands on it's own. The biggest source of comedy is the tension between Stan (a member of the CIA) and his liberal daughter Hayle. Other sources of funny-ness are the talking fish Clouse and Roger an alien that live in the family's attic.
  • a decidedly less funny version of Family Guy

Since this show is from the same creator as Family Guy, comparisons between Family Guy and American Dad are bound to be drawn. Especially since this show aired the year Family Guy returned to television. Creating a second show is a risk, and what it requires is hit-or-miss. It's either a success as with Angel was to Buffy, or it could be a cult hit like Futurama was a second show to the Simpsons creator. And the creators can decide to either replicate the first show's formula and/or make the second show a spinoff, or go in another direction entirely and have absolutely nothing to do with the first show. Witness again shows like Angel and Futurama. With American Dad, Seth MacFarlane prefered the former approach. He replicated his tried-and-true format of story in which a nuclear family is thrust into impossible situations with an occasion scathe at modern life that might possibly take place in the Family Guy setting the Griffins inhabit. The story this time: an idiotic and inept CIA agent Stan Smith leads his family into impossible situations. It's not quite a spinoff of Family Guy but the two are pretty similiar in certain ways. Some of the Family Guy "archetypes" return: Stan's a fill-in for Peter, his wife is a hornier and more impossibly clueless, shrillier Lois, Steve is Chris except slightly smarter, and the daughter is Meg. The only difference is that there is no diabolical baby or talking dog; instead, there is a talking alien that loves to drink (nod to Brian) and a talking. . .fish. But where Family Guy succeeds, American Dad fails. The show should be able to work: it scathes the American government plenty, it has a workable formula, and Stan's last name is a sharp, but blantantly obvious nod at the many Smiths occupying secret government programs. Part of the problem is that the characters in American Dad. . .are just not that likeable. Family Guy characters have at least a sensitivity, character quirk, or wonderful trait about them that make them likeable. It's not noticeable in American Dad. Lead character Stan Smith is the worst. Stan's no Peter Griffin. It's hard to explain but Peter Griffin is likeable. He's an everyman, clueless in the ways some people know but still being a normal guy, and has many grossly uninformed opinions but he's not arrogant. A little bit of a jerk at times, but not an arrogant one and he somewhat learns a lesson in the end, and his heart is usually in the right place. Stan Smith is a clueless jerk. He's not an everyman like Peter but in a rank above normal people and he knows it and flaunts it whenever he can. He's so cheerfully clueless, he flaunts his knowledge and/or his grossly misinformed opinions. And while Peter's cluelessness endears him, it does nothing for Stan. Next problem is that American Dad is an obvious cut-and-paste of Family Guy. However, although Family Guy humor is often racy and rude, it's at times extremely smart and a smart insight on everyday life. American Dad. . .is just plain dumb. It doesn't stand for much of anything. It lacks the brains Family Guy has shown time and time again. And as the characters prove, it lacks the heart. The show is occasionally funny but overall, without brains or heart, it can't really go anywhere or to the elaborate lengths of satire it could be capable of. Do I wish it could be different? Yes. And as much as a Family Guy fan that I am, I just can't like American Dad, no matter who created it or how funny it can sometimes be. Some of the Family Guy fanbase has transferred to American Dad and it's been on for three years now. Unfortunately, it shows no sign of improving and it will most likely stick in the format it has now. How long it will go, it's up in the air, but no matter how long it goes, no matter what it does, and no matter how close it resembles the show, American Dad will never be Family Guy.
  • this show is kinda good for a another family guy it mabye not as funny or original but it's still good

this show is great to watch i love the theme song the story plots and the characters even though thweir just like the griffin family.luckily seth put different characters to make it more interesting.Good morning USA! I got a feeling that it's gonna a be wonderful day! The sun in the sky has a smile on it's face and a shinyness salute to the American race!.....Oh boy it's swell to say,good morning USA!.....Good morning USA!!!!american dad is so funny since stan acts stupid and roger is just crazy,weird,and nasty looking but my favorite character is steve since he's like nerd kid quagmire.
  • This is a good animation comedy, but its my number 5 behind Family Guy, Futurama, The Simpsons and South Park. And that's all the animation comedy I watch.

American Dad is highly underrated. The reason for this is that people are comparing it to it's sister show Family Guy. The two shows have many differences. American Dad has subtle humour whereas Family Guy delivers laugh-out-loud humour. You're bound to be disappointed if you expect a second Family Guy. So, if you're thinking of watching it, don't listen to any poor reviews and see for yourself whether you like it or not.
    It is based around the Smith's, a normal family with abnormal happenings. The main character, Stan Smith the dad, is a CIA agent working to keep America safe. Francine Smith the mother, a housewife. Steve Smith, the geeky teenager. And Hayley Smith, the forever meddling hippy daughter. The characters in this show are really weird. For example, the camp alien Roger, a well kept secret from the government who lives in the Smith's House and Klaus, a talking fish whose previous body was inhabited by a goldfish. They both help to make the show funny.
    For sure I would rather watch Family Guy or The Simpsons if I had the choice and not all the episodes are perfect but it still satisfies the viewer and gives you a hunger for more. I'm sure most people love this show for what it is. American Dad, not Family Guy.
  • decent show all episodes based on stan none individually based on the other characters

it is a decent show usually will not make you laugh out loud but will make you giggle. My main problem is at least half of the epsiode of is based on stan family guy has all brian and stewie episodes simpsons(best show)has lisa amrge and bart episodes but this cannot survive without stan(who isn't the best character on the show).It looks like family gu and acts osmewhat like family guy but this show is more far out with an alien and a tlaking fish . how is francine so innocent but such a whore? how did such a dumbass get in the cia? wouldn't the cia notice an alien gone? after famliy guy and koth and the simpsons so i watch it.

overall decent show 6.5.
  • American Dad

American Dad is a pretty good show. It is about Stan Smith and his family's adventures. On the show they have some strange characters such as an alien from outer space and a talking fish, who used to be a Nazi. These characters maybe strange, but they are funny non the less. In fact I think that Roger (the alien) is the funniest character on the show! Stan is the main character of the show, he works for the CIA. As you can imagine, he's a pretty wacky character, but he's still pretty funny. I'll have to admit that Stan is a crazy guy but still one of my favorite characters.
  • Never thought i would like this show.

A show about a pretty typical American Family. The father works for the CIA and he is byfar the funniest character next to that Alien XD. I personally enjoy the show. I never thought i would like it because it looked way too much like my all time favorite show Family guy but one day i pressed info on one of the episodes and the plot looked really interesting. After watching it i realized that this show isn't that bad. The comedy in it is pretty straight forward not really many jokes that i saw that I had to think about for a while. Only problem i have is like i already said it resembles Family guy a bit too much.

For anyone who hasn't seen the show i would recommend that they at least check it out and see how it goes from there.
  • No great shakes, but not the worst thing ever done, either.

This is an amusing variation on the theme of spies and international intrigue. It's like a funnier version of "Get Smart" as a cartoon. Here is an agent who freaks out when kitchen appliances go off, and who must keep up with the Homeland Security updates that keep everybody else on edge. He is constantly checking to make sure even his friends, neighbors and own children don't try to pull something on him. Then there's the alien he saved from Area 51, and the goldfish with a transplanted brain... I am not making this up. It's not as crass as "Family Guy," and it does come up with a few laughs.
  • This show is a really crazy, smart, slightly inappropriate, and funny show!

When I unwrapped the gift that my younger brother gave me I was kinda confused at his choice of present. Not only am I open about NOT being a Family Guy fan, I was kinda disappointed that he would get me such a movie knowing that! I decided to not get upset and to pretend that I was happy about my gift, thanked him and went home. The next day the weather was snowy and the satellite wasn't working. I was a bit bored so I decided to put the DVD in and try to watch it, thinking that any entertainment is better than none. I actually smiled during the intro song and was quite shocked that the show was funny, even witty! Who would have thought the creator of Family Guy could have made a show this great? I should have thought considering King of the Hill (one of my favorite shows) was created by the maker of Beavis and Butthead. I guess next time I won't judge a DVD by it's cover!
  • stan smith works for the CIA and is hiding a alien in his house

awsome show If you like family guy you will probebly like this show but it is less joke oriented and is more about plot and episode development but all the characters are funny and add alot to the episodes Roger the alien and the goldfish are really funny But one thing I should point out is the show sometimes has the tendencey to drag on and somethimes has boring episodes unlike family guy that drills out jokes left and right but this does not happen to often most of the time the show is really funny the CIA stuff is really cool
  • Not great, just good!

I love The Simpsons and Family Guy. Can't miss either one of them. This show is not in the same ballpark as either of those but it is still a fun watch with lots to like. Not sure aboue the talking fish and alien but Family Guy has a talking dog and baby so who cares. Don't watch looking to think too much. It is mindless entertainment and something I look forward to watching with ny DVR. Just like Family Guy this IS NOT a show for children and most of the humor hits for someone over the age of 25.
  • a very good it is just brilliant

brilliant it's about a man who works at the cia , stan smith , who gives his family good protection every second of every minute of every day of every year he never stops when on the lookout but its not just him its also his wife francine his daughter hayley his son steve his talking goldfish klaus and his alien roger they always get into wacky situations like when stan swaps lives with roger and when steve and roger compete against being the best detective and when stan tries to get francine to meet up with her parents who she hadn't seen for ages.
  • It was about a whole-hearted family... in America!

This show is awsome! And not because it was made by Seth MacFarlane, oh no! It has action, comedy, drama, and.... wait for it.... yes! Aliens! And brain transplant! This is a good show! Okay, back to reality. The characters are sorta original, the voice acting is not like half the cast is Seth (only two people in the Smith family, but...)and it's decent, and the plotlines are entertaining, and some, though boring, makes me think harder. The theme song is decent, I would love to recite it as our Pledge of Allegence. But not for the National Anthem.
    Now, you are ALL wondering why it's a 9? Because, where are the new episodes?
  • Almost as good as Family Guy

American Dad was created by the same guy who made Family Guy, Seth MacFarlane. So if you like Family Guy, you'll probably like American Dad. Though I wasn't very impressed with the first season the second season came back and was much better. The show is about a dad named Stan who works for the C.I.A. He has two kids named Steve and Haley, a wife named Francine, an alien friend named Roger, and a talking pet goldfish named Klaus. Now the show is a lot like family guy minus the random flashes. It is a great show but I still prefer Family Guy.
  • THis is is becomeing better then Family Guy, Thats how good this show is.

The first episode of this show was kinda stupid, but every other episode is very good, im starting to like American Dad better then Family Guy. American Dad has great story lines and great Charactors. I dont see any faults about this show. I cant wait to see future episodes, its going be great. Family Guy had boring episodes in the first 2 seasons. After seeing the first season of American Dad i knew this would be a very good show, no dout about it. So this is the end of my review. Yep i still need to type 100 words
  • This is definately one of the greats!

When American Dad first came out in 2005, people were not very fond of it and called it a "cheap rip off of Family Guy" and it didn't really have a big fanbase like Family Guy did(Family Guy's fanbase was starting to grow, and look at it now) and although some little parts of the episodes made people chuckle a bit, it's humour wasn't superior to Family Guy's.

However, when season 2 came out! Things changed a little, the characters seemed more noticeable and they even seemed more likeable as the episodes went on, not only that but the episodes became funnier and funnier due to the fact that they came up with funnier jokes as months went by.

I basically think that American Dad has come on alot since it first aired on TV, and I think it just keeps getting funnier and funnier every episode although it's on very rare occasions now that they're actually unfunny and don't try and entertain us viewers of the show, in fact it's almost becoming funnier and as popular as Family Guy.

10/10.
  • amaerican dad is the funniest show ever

for those of you who love family guy you will love this crazy and jacked up shows its just like famly guy only, its better man you have just got to watch this super weird and funny show its about a dad that works for the c.i.a and just has to kill someone because well he's a jacked up,american dad. so please just try it out it comes on at 10:30 back to back so uuuhhh try it out and dont write anything bad about it because its a cool show if you give it a good chance. trust me you will love it.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10