American Dad!

Monday 9:30 PM on TBS Premiered Feb 06, 2005 In Season

TVTome_Shadow

American Dad! Fan Reviews page 7 of 24

• The funny adventures of a CIA agent and his dysfunctional family

Created by the creator of 'Family Guy', another great classic cartoon, Seth MacFarlane, American Dad features the life of a CIA agent whose duty is to protect America from terrorism, and his family who are hardly prime candidates for a typical American family. Instead of a dog this family has an alien and a german goldfish, the daughter is a rebel who is leftist in her political views and is prone to disagree with her fathers ideas, the mother is fairly normal but becomes involved in many antics, and the son is fairly intelligent and seems to be headed for success. Unlike Family Guy whose humour is derived as much from Peter's memory gags as Stewies antics, this shows humour is mostly based on the fathers constant alertness for terrorist activities, and the whole 'protecting America' thing- as well as that the America he is protecting- whilst seemingly oblivious to him- is not as worthy of protection as he likes to think. The fish and the alien are also major stars in the shows humour. Very entertaining show. For those who say it is excactly like Family Guy only worse, i'd argue that the style is somewhat different and that it is still a very entertaining and amusing cartoon.
  • American Dad is written by the same writers as Family guy so i thought if they made it, it was worth watching

American Dad is written by the same writers as Family guy so i thought if they made it, it was worth watching and that was when i first saw it on channel 7 in Australia just after family guy had been on.

I watch this show when ever it is on but i don't need to download it as it is not the best show every. i still like the show and rate it pretty high because it is funny and it makes the American family look stupid at some time. eg when Stan send his so to "camp refuge" which is really "Refugee Camp".
  • Is to Family Guy what Futurama is to the Simpsons

On first glance, American Dad looks like a carbon copy of Seth MacFarlane's "other" show Family Guy. The animation is near identical, the lead character Stan Smith's knuckle headed optimism and in-your-face presentation doesn't so much recall Peter Griffin as grab you by the throat and scream in your face and Roger the alien and Klaus the goldfish work in much the same way Stewie and Brian do in the previous show. So far so very familiar, as though MacFarlane dressed up his fourth FG series with different characters when it was initially cancelled so as to stay on the air but stick with it, and American Dad will eventually reveal itself as a superior cartoon to it's predecessor.

Sure, the humour is once again a mixture of insightful witticisms, biting satire and odd bursts into toilet humour but rather than the chaos of Family Guy where the plot seems to revolve round the jokes, here the opposite is true. The flashbacks are almost totally absent and instead each episode features a structure and character development that is normally missing from the first show. Okay some of the episodes fall a bit flat but nevertheless, there are considerably more hits than there are misses and when it's good, it's brilliant. "A Smith In The Hand" for example is in this writer's humble opinion, the funniest thing MacFarlane and his team have ever produced.

What's more, American Dad is considerably more politically-orientated and everything you could conceive about the USA's current state of fear mongering and distrust is put beneath a microscope and parodied mercilessly. Stan Smith is a boorish depiction of all that paranoia rolled into one and some of his outbursts and overreactions are hilarious. Take the scene where he locks up his new Arab neighbours in his back garden for instance in a moment that scarily recalls the nightmarish conditions of Guantanamo bay yet still manages to be side splittingly funny or any of his numerous conceited one-liners ("only women have emotions son, they come from their ovaries").

Only time will tell if American Dad can outlive the shadow of it's far more successful big brother, but like the relationship between Futurama and the Simpsons beforehand, it's often a far funnier and considerably more focused show that deserves a wider audience
  • One of the best sitcoms to hit the airwaves. It really should be on television more.

I just completely love American Dad on so many levels. Ever since the first episode, I've been a huge fan. It mainly revolves around Stan Smith, who works for the CIA. He and his family have wild adventures each season. Really now, I haven't seen a show like this in years. To me, this compares to the early simpsons and the early family guy. It's got all of the things a funny sitcom should have: humour and a well written script. I'm being honest here, so far there is not one episode in the entire series that i DON'T like. And that's saying a lot! I seriously don't understand the haters. Please if you haven't seen the show, ignore them and give this show a try! I think most of you will be pleasently surprised. As a fan of Seth McFarlane, I have to say that this is his best work.
  • Probably one of the most hilarous shows on TV right now, if not right now then one of the most hilarous TV shows of all time!

American Dad is an adult animated series from the creators of Family Guy about a 40 year old man named Stan Smith who works for the CIA, is a family man and supports America(alot), his wife Francine who has a partygirl personality but she has hidden it for the sake of Stan, his son Steve wants to get the girls but he can't(Well, some of the times he's had a girlfriend) due to the fact that they consider him a "geek", his daughter Hayley who is a left wing liberal and dislikes Stan due to what he thinks of certain things, his pet alien and fish named Roger and Klaus-Roger is the alien who does nothing but watch movies, drink martinis(bit like Brian from Family Guy) and sit on the couch, Klaus is the German goldfish who's brain was put into the brain of a goldfish and has a crush on Francine.

When I first watched this show, I thought it wasn't that funny was pretty funny but not funny(I first watched the show on DVD, and that'll explain the next thing I'm about to say) but when I watched a few other episodes I thought it was brilliant, every storyline just made me want to watch the show, All I'm saying is that it has good writers(mostly) and I can't really have a fault with any episode.

When I purchased Volume 2 back in June(I got it on Friday, and it was released May 28th over here) and started watching it, I thought the episodes were better than they were on Volume 1(though the episodes on there were pretty good too) one of my favourite episodes was when Klaus' brain was put into a human body and he tried to impress Francine with it without her knowing it's him and another one of my favourite episodes was when Barry started to become friends with Stan and Barry kept doing awful things and blaming it on Steve.

Roger the Alien is probably one of the most hilarous characters I've seen in a long time, probably funnier than Homer Simpson even! His laziness and references to a few movies just make me laugh, Seth MacFarlane truely is a genius I mean first he came up with the brilliant Family Guy and then with this hilarous show I say keep up the good work, Seth, Long live American Dad.
  • Just Like Family Guy

I've only just started watching this... and let me tell it's great

Stan Smith, who works for the CIA and is constantly on the alert for terrorist activity. Stan will go to extremes to protect his beloved America from harm; as evidenced by the terror-alert color code on his fridge, In addition to Stan's wife and teenage children, the Smith household has two other members. There's Roger, the sarcastic space alien who deeply resents the fact that he's not allowed to leave the house, and therefore, has been reduced to drinking wine and smoking cigarettes, and Klaus, a German-speaking goldfish; the result of a CIA experiment gone seriously wrong. Stan's son is a dorky teenager who tries to be cool. His wife has had a past life of sex and drugs. Stan loves his daughter, but that doesn't necessarily mean he trusts her
  • Looks like the ugly younger brother from Family Guy

"American Dad" is in my opinion the ugly younger brother of "Family Guy."

It's not as smart, it's not as polished, and it suffers from the obvious way it was developed very self-consciously on a mirror image model of MacFarlane's better and more popular cartoon Family Guy.

It does have good moments, and occasional flashes of the same kind of brilliance that marks the other show far more often.

But the premise itself seems flawed - the best episodes are when there's an acknowledgement of the basic underlying criticism of the overblown American way of life.

If you seen the episode where Stan, who had not only never masturbated but considered it truly wicked, injures himself in a particularly sensitive part of the male anatomy on which he has to apply ointment.

It's the ignorance of the Stan character, coupled with his power both in the family and in the world, that should drive the show. Then the other characters could have freer reign against a stable core.

The thing where is not better then Family guy is that this serie has stan as the center of the show. When he is not the center of the show imo the show falls apart. In all the episodes the Characters have not developed themselfs to hold the family.

If you compare that to Family Guy in which Brian, Meg, Stewie, Lois, and Chris have all had episodes and storyline featuring them. The episode in which Stewie and Brian go on the lam, or where Brian goes to Hollywood, or Lois becomes a model, or Chris becomes an artist and the toast of New York... these are all classics.

Despite the fact it's going into its third season, American Dad still doesn't feel like it's found its tone. It feels shaky, and that's the worst thing a comic can do - let you see his insecurity.

Despite all that i will continue to watch the show cause i just like an afternoon with simpsons, Family guy and American dad :D.
  • Great Show, funny!

Seth MacPharlane has done it again. Hes brainwashed millions of people with just a single show. Well, hes done it to me. Lots of actions for a animated show, many laughs and things you will never understand. Out of all the charaters my favorite is Roger. Hes an alien, he brings the laughs to me and makes the show more interesting. Another great character is Stan. He makes the show more funnier and stupider. Thats what I like about the show. Not as good as Family guy but I can say it is one of my favorites. Seth, keep on making more episodes for American Dad and Family guy.
  • one of the best shows ever created.

Seth Macfalane, creator of hit tv show Family Guy creates a another great cartoon American Dad!. The is about a man named Stan Smith who works for the CIA. He is voiced by Seth who voices the star character on Family Guy Peter Griffin. His voice sounds the same as the Doctor on the other show. Another noticable character is his wife Francine Smith. The 2 kids steve and Haley Smith. and an alien named Roger lives with the family. What's good about this show is that there are no cutaway gags like in family Guy. It's gets to be boring but not too annoying. This show sometimes has crossovers with Faimly Guy like in Lois Kills Stewie We see Stan and some other guy about to shot Brian and Stewie. This show is a good show and I hope it doesn't get cancelled.
  • cool ive seen it alot!

its just like my other fav cartoon shows the simpsons, famliy guys and futurama but with his own idea abut a dad is the CIA and all the crazy things he does i have to say roger is my favrite character he is an alien that dresses up to try to look human. its sort of like lilo and sicth but a better way and anyway they sure make a lot of fun of polictians i love that too. this show is pretty awesome like it alot hope it stays on for a very very long time! I love it !!!
  • Following CIA agent Stan Smith, his wife Francine, his two children Hayleigh (a free spirit who always speaks her mind) and Steve (a hopeless geek) and their pet alien called Roger that Steve rescued from CIA headquarters and their strange antics.

One of the funniest animated shows on telly.

Great if you like Family Guy, The Simpsons or Futurama.

So funny it makes my eyes water and my stomach hurt every time I watch it!!

The jokes are great, but there is also hidden jokes that you should watch out for.

Best suited for people that don't need an explanation for everything because I'll admit sometimes it just doesn't make sense - but it is still hilarious!!

Also watch out for famous names during the end credits as loads of celebs lend their vocal talents to this great show - Jeremy Sisto (Six Feet Under), William Fitchner (Prison Break), Ron Livingston (Band Of Brothers) etc.

Recommended to anyone who likes to have a good laugh!!!!!
  • Family Guy is a good show, this, well, isn't

2.4
    Family Guy is better than this. Even if you don't like either, you'd have to say Family Guy is the better one. Yes, I know that this is done by the same creator, but what happened with his ideas? Seriously, the family is just like The Griffins with their two kids, the stupid husband, the over protected wife, the two stupid kids, the talking pet, and... and alien. Plus, the jokes go on for too long. Not like the "This is like the time..." like Family Guy has, but if you see it, you'll know what I mean. It's just, not good. I suggest Family Guy. It's better and is actually worth watching.
  • Funny, witty, entertaining.

In the shadow of it's older brother Family Guy this show has always struggled in the ratings. However do not be put off, with very orginal story lines and characters it does become an entertaining show to watch I could even claim its brilliant. The show carrys on Family Guys style in animation and jokes which is good it's funny, witty and can poke fun at anything even itself! Which is what makes this show good. However with it being a continuation of Family Guy you always feel its missing something the sparkle of a show, after watching two or three episodes you tire of it. So this is a good show very entertaining, it's just not anything more that entertaining, nothing more than decent. You watch it, laugh for 20 minutes, then forget you watched it.
  • Remember this show, American Dad? Classic.

Good morning USA indeed, this has got to be the show that it can jump the shark, but still pure good. Good, huh? Well, remember Seth? Like that time we did cutaways?

*INSERT CUTAWAY HERE DAMNIT*

I know American Dad! doesn't have a cutaway, well almost, in the same level as "The Simpsons," right? I mean "Family Guy" is the animated sitcom that has the collection of cutaways!

Here's how great it is?

Seth: It's great and I created it.
    Myself: Great.
    Some Guy: It sucked. *Gets punched in the nose* Ow! My nostrils! Okay, so I lied, it IS good.

One of the funniest characters of the show of all time would be Roger & Klaus, in my opinion because I like UFO's and I like german pets. Heil Klaus!

American Dad! is the show you want to see. So, goodnight! And go see this show.
  • Pretty nice

Hmm.. not one of my favorite shows, or one of those at which I watch constantly.. it's just a decent one.. with family guy alike lines and jokes. only not that good. I watch the show only when I'm bored or when I don't have anything else to do.. I mean, don't get me wrong, but it's not that original.. itt reminds me of family guy.. and if I want to see family guy I watch family guy and not american dad.. But it's a decent show.. I get a laugh from it.. I'm not watching regulary so I think that's why I can't say more than this..
  • it's a rib off for family guy

this show is ok but its a little stupied I think wow this is a major rib-off for family guy I think the creators should stick to family guy and we all know Family guy is alot better than american dad but the show is alright there are some great episode I give this show a 7.5 out of 10 well that's my review bye. . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . .
  • Family Guy, watch your back!

Remember a LOOOOONG time ago when Family Guy got cancelled?
    Well, Seth moved on to American Dad!, which is some of his best work.
    CIA man Stan Smith lives everyday protecting the right of America with his wife, Francine, daughter, Haley, and son, Steve. But, the family has some pets.
    Klaus is a German man who's brain got put inside of a goldfish. He's in love with Francine.
    And, alien Roger. He's an alcoholic, and is addcited to TV and movies, preferbly game shows and Lifetime.
    American Dad! is a great show! Here's how it works.
    Take a family who's dad/husband works for the CIA
    Add an alcoholic alien.
    Add a crazy German fish.
    Add all of the humor of Family Guy with extra smart jokes.

Family Guys fans can't go wrong here!
  • American dad evolves around the smith family, and there freinds.

American dad is a show created by the very special guy Seth Mcfarlane. American dad took of when Family guy was cancled, and since the return of family guy American dad is the slightly beter show. This is due to that American dad uses more sofisticated jokes. The jokes are all from Politics to sex. The first time you watch American dad it might seams a bit unorigniall, but the show keeps on growin for every episode and every season, you can realy tell that seth mcfarlane puts his soul into this show.

A big question is this, will FOX cancel American dad due to bad rating? (it got a horrible time slot)
  • American Dad is a good show, but there are many better ones.

American Dad is a show about Stan - a man that is a CIA agent, which he usually takes advantage of it in many situation thorought the show. This show is very similar to Family Guy, with its shock humour and a funny, yet repetetive plot, which is very irritating. He is cold blooded, he thinks he is always right, but at the end of every episode he learns his lesson. Although that minor inconvenience we can say for sure that it is a decent show, that can make us laugh on many occasions. All in all, I give it an 8.
  • You laugh until you choke and you cry from joy until your eyes bleed [maybe a little too hard, but quite true]

This is a show about an american family , however this one isn't as usual as all american families. It consists of six members - Stan Smith the 'American Dad' he is an CIA agent, he loves George Bush above all and is really too overprotective, Francine Smith an usual desperate housewive, Hayley Smith a teenager hippie, Steve Smith, the nerd son, he allways tries to be cool, but he usually doesn't suceed, Roger the alien, that Stan rescued from area 51, he has a perfect sense of humour and loves wigs and Klaus the german talking fish.iled experiment to extract human's brain into a fish.
  • Good Morning USA.........

American Dad is one of the funniest cartoons i have ever seen.
    Some of the things on this show are beyond belife and have had me in tears of laughter like when Rodger and Stan get stoned and go to the 7/11 and are transfixed at the sweet counter with munchies lol and then Rodger tells Stan he feels light so he buys some cat litter to wiegh him down lol only he lets go of it doing a runner from Stan and floats of into the sky lol, along with a hash cake eating mind transfered nazi goldfish the show couldnt get any stranger lol, all in all though the strangesness makes the show and i have enjoyed every single episode and will continue to do so to :)
  • A dad...an american dad

This is one of those shows that I personally classify as " L m f a o " shows. My " L m f a o " shows are the shows that I personally consider to be Awesome ! Shows like this make me laugh so hard . . . and this is one of them due to the fact that well . . . it makes me " L m f a o . " I seriously consider for those of you to watch shows that i classify as a " L m f a o " show. Thank You!
    Im writing reviews on all my " L m f a o " shows first :)
  • Freakin Awesome! Another great thing from the mind of Seth Macfarlane!

A show about a pro-republic, conservative father, Stan, in the CIA. Absolutely hilarious, people hate it though, because it "isn't as good as Family Guy", well, NOTHING IS! My personal favorite part of the show are when the show does subplots between the Stan's nerdy son, and the family's alien, Roger. It is witty and funny in the sense that it deals with modern issues in well, witty and funny ways. It is a great way to finish off the weekend with a new episode of this show. So, before hating this show, just remember, if Family Guy was thought of after this, you would like this show alot more.
  • This show is pretty good, but I like Family Guy more.

This show is good. I like to watch it sometimes and it is an enjoyable cartoon sitcom, but just isn't as funny or entertaining as Family Guy. I like some of the characters like Stan and Klaus the Goldfish, they are my favourite characters in the show even though Klaus only appears for a bit but I like his one-liners. This show has a good plot at times and uses it well with some humourous moments but should have a bit more. This show is different in some ways to FG which is makes it unique. Also, I can definitely say that this is a lot better than some of the episodes from the later seasons of Family Guy. I think this show deserves at least one chance and it isn't that bad. But I would recommend the first few seasons of Family Guy over this.
  • It's not as good as family Guy...

American Dad is quite a good show actually.I had been quite excited when I heard a new cartoon from Seth McFareline was coming out.When it did come out I watched the occasional episode and it didn't excite me too much.But then I borrowed the first season from my freind and watched it.I saw that some episodes are actually really funny.I love Steve and Stan.Stan is hillarious.He's always accusing people of being terrorists and stuff.It's a great show but not as good as family Guy.But if it does continue I think it can only get better like the Family Guy's did! Good show.
  • A want to be Family Guy

This is a extremely weak cartoon. It is pathetic and stupid. Its humor is extremely predicatiable and its awful. Its a rip off of Family Guy! its nothing but a stupid, pathetic excuse of a copy. I don't get why this show is on the air and i hope it gets cancelled. I don't get it. I have tried to watch it but i can't. Shows like South Park, Family and Futurama should be airing and not crap like American Dad and King of the hill. I hate all the characters in this show. I don't find any of them clever and if they all died i wouldn't care
  • Ok American Dad is from the same creator of family guy. Its about Stan, a C.I.A agent who gets into predicaments with his family and that sort of thing.

Overall this is a pretty good show. Its alot less random than family guy. The show is also very funny,entertaining and watchable. One of the things that make the show so funny is that alien roger and klaus the fish although its odd they would even have a talking fish and an alien but oh well its funny isnt it.
    I see American dad as one of the funniest shows on fox since the simpsons. I dont see how any one wouldnt like this show. Another thing that makes this show so great is that its not afraid to speak its mind and cross that line thats why admire the creator. Thats why American dad deserves a 9.8.
  • Something like Family guy.

Its a similer show to the Family guy.Its about a Family whos Fathers (Stan) works in CIA.In the family there is a alien and a German talking fish.Also a boy named Steve , a 16-17 year old girl (hayley, did i spell it right :P) and Stan wife (Francine).This show is very funny Roger the alien is one of the funniest characters i like peronaly.Well the stories are different every episode.My favorite episodes are "Dungeons and Wagons" and "Camp Refoogee".The one thing i dont like is that some things are making fun of the U.S. and thats some times annoying when they doing it many times.
  • the fourth season is better than this years season of family guy.

when i first saw this show, i thought it was the stupidest show to ever air on tv, but when i actually saw the show, it was actually pretty good. this year's season is the best yet. it is better than family guy's new season, which is a pretty hard thing to do. in my opinion, i think american dad is one of the best shows that is animated on tv. it is hilarious and i love it. so far, one episode wasn't the best but it was still good. i hope the show keep getting better because it is good.
  • Seth Mcfarlanes better project.

It is about a man named Stan Smith who has a family and his wife is Francine Smith and their kids are Haley and Steve Smith and they have a alien named Roger and a pet fish who is really man who got his mind switched named Klaus and as well in the plot Stan is a CIA agent while Francine is the smatest woman and Steve is a idiot and Haley is goth. I enjoy watching this show I like it better than Family Guy because I hate Family Guy while this show is underated. What I fear is that this show might end next year I think that because there has been a lack airings and king of the hill is ending while this show might as well I sure hope not. I give this a 9.1 out of 10.
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11