American Dad!

Sunday 9:30 PM on TBS Premiered Feb 06, 2005 In Season

TVTome_Shadow

American Dad! Fan Reviews page 8 of 23

• a funni show but..

this show is somketimes gunny and at most times entertaing. but on the other hand it is sometimes boring and dull and lack any common sense and it lacks any decent plot line and if any there is only a very small plot in if not any few of the episodes. but rather the fact of its lack of plot lines and the ocassional lack of humor in the end its an okay show, there are alot funnier shows but this is definitly in the top 20. it has evrthing a funny show should have the idiotic father and son, the sane and concerd mother and daughter, and of course the mascotts which make the show just a lil funny aka the alien and the fish.
  • Don't know what happened?

They should bring it back, I love American Dad it's kinda similar to Family Guy. Animation Funnynation. Yup-a-dup. Wow, that's all i have to say but its 100 words min. so I'll be lazy again. They should bring it back, I love American Dad it's kinda similar to Family Guy. Animation Funnynation. Yup-a-dup. Wow, that's all i have to say but its 100 words min. so I'll be lazy again. They should bring it back, I love American Dad it's kinda similar to Family Guy. Animation Funnynation. Yup-a-dup. Wow, that's all i have to say but its 100 words min. so I'll be lazy again.
  • American Dad! is to Family Guy what Futurama was to The Simpsons

Seth MacFarlane proves he's not a one trick pony with his innovative follow up to the smash hit Family Guy. American Dad! is unfortunatly misunderstood as a rip off of it's own predecessor but it is by far not. American Dad! is completley differant to Family Guy the only similarities are the art and the amount of characters.

While Family Guy focuses on random humour and pop culture referances American Dad! takes satirical aim at politics and has many qualities that make me prefer it over Family Guy. Unlike Family Guy, American Dad! follows one plot line and one sub plot without random things popping in and out. That already makes it extremely differant from Family Guy which has lately been following 3 or 4 sub plots per episode with the random pop-ins. This show is great because it throws every stereotype and every exaggeration of a Rebublican and a Democrat and forces them to live in the same house together.

Again for those comparing it to Family Guy I will elaborate on the character differances. Peter Griffin is a pop culture obsessed dim wit while Stan Smith is an overly republican jerk who is racist, homophobic, and overly patriotic. Lois Griffin is a caring wife whose party girl side is always comming out while Francine Smith doesn't enjoy the spotlight and does basically whatever Stan tells her. Chris Griffin is a slow, stupid, lummox while Steve Smith is a sex crazed, nerdy teenager wh o thinks he's cool. Meg Griffin is a lonley, near suicidal loser, while Haylie Smith is a pot smoking, liberal, who will save a cat before her father. Stewie Griffin is a possibly homosexual baby bent on world domination while Roger is a fruity, television addicted, alien who doesn't shut up. Brian Griffin is an alchoholic, witty dog while Klaus is a sex crazed, loud, obnoxious, german fish.

American Dad! has been pretty successful for the two seasons it's been on and i look very forward to watching it's third one this fall however due to the return of King Of The Hill and the moronic timeslot for The Sarah Connor Chronicles American Dad! will air sundays at 7:30 which is dead air time and may face unfair cancellation next year hmmm just like Futurama...weird.
  • I love that alien!

Well i wathced this because i watch family guy :D And i'm glad i did tune in!
    The first episode i saw was the pilot although i didn't realise that as it was already so funny! I like the humour and the just random storylines you can only really get with cartoons!
    Oh yeah as i mentioned in my summary i love that alien! He makes the show for me when he got addicted to twinkies i was laughing so hard. I also like the german goldfish it's just hilarious! Well if you haven't seen this and you like family guy in my opinion you should definetly check it out!
  • Good morning USA!

I am not going to lie, when I first saw this show, I hated it. I thought it was just an unoriginal Family Guy wanna be.
    After seeing a few more episodes, I decided to give American Dad! a chance, so I bought the dvd. Good thing I did because it has now been added to my list of all time favorite TV shows!

Stan Smith proudly dislpays the values and characteristics of the American republican. He is an anti-terrorist, God loving, sexist, gay bashing(up until "Lincoln Lover"), Bush supporting, modern day Uncle Sam.

Does Stan have what it takes to juggle his stressful job with the CIA and his problematic family? You'll have to tune in and find out!
  • An Average Show

From creator of Family Guy comes a average comedy. It does not live up to Family Guy. Still the show has its moments. Its just about a CIA dad named Stan who has a family. Also a talking goldfish and a alien who is lazy. Its just trying to copy Family Guy. Its usually has ok plots. The comedy can be dry at times but still interesting. Sometimes it hits the spot. Laugh out loud at times. The kids can be ok at times. The wife is interesting as she is so innocent. I like the fish since he has a brain of a ski guy. The alien rodger can be good most of the time. Stan is the best as he is the main guy and always is crazy. How he fights and does stuff. In the end an ok show, but not as good as other comedys.
  • One of the greatest shows ever!

I really love this show, I've loved it since I first saw it. At first it looks like a crappy rip-off of Family Guy, a show which has gone downhill ever since it has come back. This show is better than most new Family Guy episodes, probaply more-so season 4. This show has good episodes like The Pilot, Bullocks to Stan, Deacon Stan Jesus Man, Dungeons and Wagons, and a lot more, but it has bad episodes at the same time, like my least favourite episode, A Smith In The Hand, I truly hate that one. This show is getting better every episode though, however it's not as good as Family Guy's seasons 1-3, but it's probaply better than most of the last ten seasons of the Simpsons. A pretty decent show, nothing else like it. 9/10!
  • Its Allright

This is the next show from creator of Family Guy. It does not live up to Family Guy. Still the show has its moments. Its just about a CIA dad named Stan who has a family. Also a talking goldfish and a alien who is lazy. Its just trying to copy Family Guy. Its usually has ok plots. The comedy can be dry at times but still interesting. Sometimes it hits the spot. Laugh out loud at times. The kids can be ok at times. The wife is interesting as she is so innocent. I like the fish since he has a brain of a ski guy. The alien rodger can be good most of the time. Stan is the best as he is the main guy and always is crazy. How he fights and does stuff. In the end a good show, but not as good as other comedys.
  • This show is cool!

American Dad is a great adult animated series about a CIA man called Stan Smith who will stop at nothing to protect his country along with him is his wife Francine who met Stan by getting in Stan's car and Stan accidentally drives over a squirrel but shoots it and that's when the two fell in love, Hayley, Stan and Francine's daughter who has arguements with Stan but actually loves him inside, Steve, Stan and Francine's son who appears to be unattractive to girls but however despite that Steve has had some girlfriends in the past(Lindsey Coolidge, the old granny and Debbie), Roger the Alien who is an alien who the family are hiding from the CIA because they were out to destroy him thank god for Stan and Klaus the Fish who was originally a human but was switched brains with a fish he also is in love with Francine i think this show is pretty good and have the first two volumes on DVD and so far the show rocks and my favourite characters are Steve and Roger because they are the best part of the plot and there storylines are usually funny this show might not be as good as Family Guy but if you've seen the first couple of episodes and you think it's "weird" then give the show a second chance you'll understand the show whilst you watch all the episodes one of my favourite episodes is Rough Trade because the plot with the monkeys was funny especially when they were causing mayhem and stuff if you love Family Guy you'll love this show too.
  • this show is not as good as family guy but way better than the winner

this show is about stan smith and his life as a disfunctional dad, husband and cia agent. the show has its highs and lows. like in one episode they go out to hunt down george clooney for the hard relationship he had with francine. but the episode was good up until it showed a women cia agent breast feeding to a baby in public while speaking to stan. so that is an example of them killing the episode. plus an episode when haley the opininated daughter sleeps with stans boss and he does not report him so he can get a raise was funny but went cross the line too much.. point is its an underappreciated show that fox will probably cancel sadly
  • Enjoyable

American Dad is one of those shows that has it's moments. Sometimes it's pretty funny and I laugh like I'm watching Futurama. Sometimes though it's not so good and I don't laugh like it's a bad episode of The Simpsons.
    Roger and Francine are the characters that keep me watching. What can I say, Roger is like Brian on Family Guy, and if there's anything I enjoy it's drunken pratfalls and stupidity. Francine I love because she can be so utterly clueless sometimes and then BAM she's all mother bear and she's ripping off limbs to protect her family. Sometimes I don't understand how no one has slammed Stan upside the head with a 2 by 4, but usually when push comes to shove he actually is a decent American Dad.
  • Great animated comedy show

I love watching American Dad. Its a very funny show. We have got Stan who works for the government his Wife just a stay at home kind that talks to a fish and the rest of the family u see. Stan has to do a lot of missions and stuff and its way funny, I like this show almost as much as Futurama but not quite it doesn't surprise me though that this show is good because who directs it, Seth Macfarlane is a genius he has made countless Tv shows and made them into a success give it a couple more years and this show might become one.
  • Meet Stan he is a CIA agent who will do anything to protect his beloved country and his family.

Ok charecters and story lines. If you like family guy than you will love this show. It keeps getting funnier and funnier. So keep watching it's definatley going to get better and better if you haven't seen it it's a good form of some light comedy. Overall American Dad is ok so far.
  • American dad

5.7
    american dad may be by the same dude that created family guy, but family guy is 10x funnier than this. i admit that some of the american dad episodes are funny, but the humor is just too similar to family guy. the main character is some cia dude who has absolutely no idea what he is doing. the whole family is too similar to family guy. the only real funny character is the alien. at least with him (or her) they can add some new humor that they could not do with family guy. in the end, american dad is just too similar to family guy for me.
  • It's ok if you like Family Guy exept that he's a cia agent who is metally retarded.

4.7
    this show is too much like family guy and they try to be like family guy. Steh mcfarlene what happend i like the concept, but somewhere along the way it just blew up! im pretty sure rogers gay and steve is just a whiny loser. I admit the show is hillarous, but it need tuning then it will be ok with me and some others im sure. Haley is Hot ok that is one of the only reasons i watch the show plus stan is funny, but retarded im sure. One of the reasons this show did not get a 1.0 is because the way they make fun of george bush and the corrupt goverment the politacal humor is a pull in for me this show is ok but tune it up!
  • more liberal propaganda just like Family guy, and the same characters too, which were mostly from the Simpsons anyways

1.3
    If you can tell I'm not a fan of this show, they make the director of the CIA, and a patriotic guy like Stan, and of course then they make him lookl incompetent and crazy. That says alot about what Seth McFarland thinks about his country. I'm not saying don't have a sense of humor and poke fun of the president and the CIA ever, but a whole show just based on that give me a break. He appeals again to the sheep who watch because he tells them what they want to hear. It's not even just the reused characters and the liberals jokes, it's also that the regular jokes aren't funny either, they did well with family guy, even though they are on the same track, I don't know why they can't think of funnier material for this show.
  • Just an incredible concerned citizen. At least i like to believe that. Yeahhhh.

Stan Smith is a true-blue American hero, a clean-cut, square-jawed, supremely earnest saluter of Old Glory. He's also an important cog in the War on Terror, a decorated CIA operative responsible for keeping the U.S. safe. The funny part is that Stan is probably Crazy, Insane and seriously damage because he takes everything to the extreme. Watch this show Excellent.
  • I was hesitating about watching this show as I was told it wasn't very good. I decided to give it a try when I learned it was created by the makers of Family Guy.

Overall, its a good show and it has its moment where its actually better and funnier than Family Guy. I like most of the episodes, especially the ones that include the CIA, they always seem to come up with good jokes around that topic.

The characters are funny, especially Roger and alien and than German talking fish, I forgot his name... Klause or something? Ive only seen the first episode so far but I am seriously considering renting the season 2 box set soon because its been a while since I've seen one of their new episodes. I wonder how many season American Dad will get...
  • Good in a small dose.

5.2
    american dad is family guys jokes that have been chewed up and spat out worse then before.

The people who make american dad should not be able to sleep at night it is that bad.

in conclusion anyone who says family guy is worse than american dad is a liar and should be shot on sight and if they survive they should be shot again and again untill they are dead or unable to have children not from being un-able to have a child but becouse they are so mangled and twisted no one ever would sleep with them not even if they had been paid to.
  • American Dad is a great show that is way underrated.

American Dad! is an animated comedy on Fox created by Seth McFarlane who also created Family Guy. I find this show very hilarious, especially Roger, the alien that Stan, the family man and CIA Agent, is hiding from his co-workers. American Dad! has only one flaw: it seems like Seth McFarlane was having writer's block or a memory lapse when thinking about a concept for a new show. American Dad! is almost completely identical to Family Guy minus the Non Sequitors. Stan is pretty much like Peter (an oaf and the dad), as is Francine to Lois (hard-working mother), Steve to Chris (nerdy son), Hayley to Meg (underappreciated daughter, outcast to most of the family), Klaus to Brian (talking family pet), and Roger to Stewie (other member of family who no one knows can talk or even exists). Other than that, this is a great show, and I would definitely keep watching it until it's cancelled.
  • it`s quite funny and interesting.... but not my favorite show

es una hist q trata d una flia. norteamericana, integrada por cuatro perso nas, papa,mama, hijo e hija, cada uno con sus propias personalidades y conflictos, disputas amores enfermedades, etc., etc,. etc.... no es nada fuera de lo comun, es algo entretenida... es similar a `` family guy´´ ( es el mismo creador)... tambien es similar a los simpsons, personalment e vi unos cuantos capitulos.... es algo graciosa y tambien contiene diversas parodias y alusiones de otros shows... pero si uno se encuentra burrido o cansado.. para relajarse esta comedia ( aunque no sea de las mejorees) es bastantr einteresante jejejej!!!!
  • Please Delete this

4.7
    Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this
  • Not cool.

What the hell is this ? It's a rip -off of a rip -off ! They couldn't make it more obvious ! Seth Mac Farlane seems to be the most unimaginative guy in the world of the animation . Did you liked "Family Guy " ? well ,this have exactly the same jokes and the same bunch of stereotypical characters . They couldn't be more unoriginal : we have the reactionary father , the liberal daughter with his hippie boy -friend , the mother that only have the role of housewife ... again as in "Family Guy " the jokes don't have any connection with the plot of the episodes , the same cultural references ... But what makes me hate this show more it's that instead of improve it ,they still recycle the same ideas again and again and try to convince us that they made something completely new . I guess that "American Dad !" won't be in my list of favorites.
  • 5 reasons why American Dad is my joint favourite show

5. I hate Anime cartoons and really stupid kid's ones which leaves, Simpsons, Futurama, Family Guy, South Park and American Dad.

4. I hate corny humor which gets rid of Futurama.

3. I love hilarious animation which gets rid of the Simpsons.

2. I don't like it when they rush stories or can swap exact scenes around from one episode to the other. That just leaves American Dad and South Park.

1. South Park is much funnier but the animation is so much better in American Dad.

So at the moment I can't decide between them. I'll probaly be the only one with this opinion, though.
  • Please Don't Hate me for Saying this guys but This is how I feel about these Shows!!

one thing this is Not anime at all to me it's dumb wrong and just plan SICK!!!! Hello why would you watch this there are so many other things that you could laugh about that don't have to be this sick!!!!

For one thing its twisted,wrong sick sexual and above all just a dumb thing to watch I mean Just becuase somthing is adult does that mean it has to be sick I think it taking up money and space on adultswim that could be used for anime that's worth that time. I just don't understand how could Anyone Enjoy Such Things!!!!Is this what the U.S.A has Become that people enjoy watching such things. I mean a little of something a little bad is okay once in awhile throughout the Whole Anime!!!!!! but too have something that sick wrong that Bad!!! I can't even think about what the people who are that makes this stuff I mean come on people don't we have any morals anymore.!!!!!!
  • domb, gay retarted, not funny, exc.

i saw a few episodes and thaught they were okay. but when they make bill clinton look like a sex pervert its not funny. i mean stan is not as cool as peter. and Roger the alien i a **** obviously, and not nearly as funny as brian is. and steve is a queer who is nerdy and unfunny. haley might as well become a hippie. klaus is a wierd character and perverted. francine has a nice rack for a cartoon character. the show just isn't funny. especially the episode where bullock dates haley it wasn't funny at all. come on seth family guy is five times the show this is.
  • Better then average American humour!

First thing I must say is that I haven't need nearly as many episodes of American Dad! as most of you, because they only show the first 13 episodes in Australia. I don't understand how and why they even released "Season 1" when its only half the season.

From what I have read on this site it seems that most people were either expecting Family guy 2 or just don't get the humour involved. First off if it was a Family Guy clone down to the last you people would complain about that too. In regards to the humour it seems that its mostly Americans who don't get it, this seems to be that Americans are so die hard patriotic that they cant laugh that there own country's mistakes, misfortunes and oversights. Alot of stuff they do on American Dad! is poking fun at American and its values and way of life. This is funny to the rest of the world as Americans have a very high sense of self worth, while most don't even know anything outside there own country.

Maybe American Dad! even though sounds patriotic shouldn't be viewed by the larger audience in the USA, but then again, these are the same people who didn't get Family Guy either until it was brought back in 2005 (I think)
  • hahahahahahahahahahaha

this show has an awsoem subject on it, it has twists, it has funny stuff that just pops out of no where. what else are you going to see that has an alien living in there house, a talkeing gold fish that acts smarter then everyone in the hous, and the aliens stuff* wink wink* makeing a fill in for cholslaw. i pity the fool that hasnt seen this show. haha. its just so hilarious, when the dad burns his thing *wink wink* then he usyes lotion then his son walks in while hes putting it on then his dad tries to help him get it out of his head.
  • Another spoof of an American family, this time with a dad who works for the government. Otherwise, it's very similar to Family Guy.

7.3
    The show is Family Guy's less original, but more politically oriented cousin. The show is amusing enough, but it lacks a special something that would make it stand out amongst the hundreds of comedy shows. Unfortunately, it is all too similar to Family Guy and not as funny. It's another show that should be straddling the line between funny and stupid ( the way most good comedies seem to ) . Unfortunately, the show is often just forgettable.

However, if it didn't have any good points I wouldn't be bothering to write a review about it. The show has potential, it just hasn't found it's stride yet.
  • It's not what you think

I know a lot of people who have dismissed American Dad after seeing just a couple of episodes. These people usually say they think its a knock off of Family Guy. They have a point. There are obvious similarities, nuclear family, talking animals, ect. But these friends are missing what makes this show great. American Dad, actualy, is closer to the Norman Lehr classic All in the Family. Amerincan Dad takes the generational diferences but adds even more diminsions. Yes there is a good amount of low brow antics, but I think the high roads the show does take more than make up for it.
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12