American Dad!

Sunday 9:30 PM on FOX Premiered Feb 06, 2005 In Season

TVTome_Shadow

American Dad! Fan Reviews page 8 of 23

• Its Allright

This is the next show from creator of Family Guy. It does not live up to Family Guy. Still the show has its moments. Its just about a CIA dad named Stan who has a family. Also a talking goldfish and a alien who is lazy. Its just trying to copy Family Guy. Its usually has ok plots. The comedy can be dry at times but still interesting. Sometimes it hits the spot. Laugh out loud at times. The kids can be ok at times. The wife is interesting as she is so innocent. I like the fish since he has a brain of a ski guy. The alien rodger can be good most of the time. Stan is the best as he is the main guy and always is crazy. How he fights and does stuff. In the end a good show, but not as good as other comedys.
  • This show is cool!

American Dad is a great adult animated series about a CIA man called Stan Smith who will stop at nothing to protect his country along with him is his wife Francine who met Stan by getting in Stan's car and Stan accidentally drives over a squirrel but shoots it and that's when the two fell in love, Hayley, Stan and Francine's daughter who has arguements with Stan but actually loves him inside, Steve, Stan and Francine's son who appears to be unattractive to girls but however despite that Steve has had some girlfriends in the past(Lindsey Coolidge, the old granny and Debbie), Roger the Alien who is an alien who the family are hiding from the CIA because they were out to destroy him thank god for Stan and Klaus the Fish who was originally a human but was switched brains with a fish he also is in love with Francine i think this show is pretty good and have the first two volumes on DVD and so far the show rocks and my favourite characters are Steve and Roger because they are the best part of the plot and there storylines are usually funny this show might not be as good as Family Guy but if you've seen the first couple of episodes and you think it's "weird" then give the show a second chance you'll understand the show whilst you watch all the episodes one of my favourite episodes is Rough Trade because the plot with the monkeys was funny especially when they were causing mayhem and stuff if you love Family Guy you'll love this show too.
  • this show is not as good as family guy but way better than the winner

this show is about stan smith and his life as a disfunctional dad, husband and cia agent. the show has its highs and lows. like in one episode they go out to hunt down george clooney for the hard relationship he had with francine. but the episode was good up until it showed a women cia agent breast feeding to a baby in public while speaking to stan. so that is an example of them killing the episode. plus an episode when haley the opininated daughter sleeps with stans boss and he does not report him so he can get a raise was funny but went cross the line too much.. point is its an underappreciated show that fox will probably cancel sadly
  • Enjoyable

American Dad is one of those shows that has it's moments. Sometimes it's pretty funny and I laugh like I'm watching Futurama. Sometimes though it's not so good and I don't laugh like it's a bad episode of The Simpsons.
    Roger and Francine are the characters that keep me watching. What can I say, Roger is like Brian on Family Guy, and if there's anything I enjoy it's drunken pratfalls and stupidity. Francine I love because she can be so utterly clueless sometimes and then BAM she's all mother bear and she's ripping off limbs to protect her family. Sometimes I don't understand how no one has slammed Stan upside the head with a 2 by 4, but usually when push comes to shove he actually is a decent American Dad.
  • Great animated comedy show

I love watching American Dad. Its a very funny show. We have got Stan who works for the government his Wife just a stay at home kind that talks to a fish and the rest of the family u see. Stan has to do a lot of missions and stuff and its way funny, I like this show almost as much as Futurama but not quite it doesn't surprise me though that this show is good because who directs it, Seth Macfarlane is a genius he has made countless Tv shows and made them into a success give it a couple more years and this show might become one.
  • Meet Stan he is a CIA agent who will do anything to protect his beloved country and his family.

Ok charecters and story lines. If you like family guy than you will love this show. It keeps getting funnier and funnier. So keep watching it's definatley going to get better and better if you haven't seen it it's a good form of some light comedy. Overall American Dad is ok so far.
  • American dad

5.7
    american dad may be by the same dude that created family guy, but family guy is 10x funnier than this. i admit that some of the american dad episodes are funny, but the humor is just too similar to family guy. the main character is some cia dude who has absolutely no idea what he is doing. the whole family is too similar to family guy. the only real funny character is the alien. at least with him (or her) they can add some new humor that they could not do with family guy. in the end, american dad is just too similar to family guy for me.
  • It's ok if you like Family Guy exept that he's a cia agent who is metally retarded.

4.7
    this show is too much like family guy and they try to be like family guy. Steh mcfarlene what happend i like the concept, but somewhere along the way it just blew up! im pretty sure rogers gay and steve is just a whiny loser. I admit the show is hillarous, but it need tuning then it will be ok with me and some others im sure. Haley is Hot ok that is one of the only reasons i watch the show plus stan is funny, but retarded im sure. One of the reasons this show did not get a 1.0 is because the way they make fun of george bush and the corrupt goverment the politacal humor is a pull in for me this show is ok but tune it up!
  • more liberal propaganda just like Family guy, and the same characters too, which were mostly from the Simpsons anyways

1.3
    If you can tell I'm not a fan of this show, they make the director of the CIA, and a patriotic guy like Stan, and of course then they make him lookl incompetent and crazy. That says alot about what Seth McFarland thinks about his country. I'm not saying don't have a sense of humor and poke fun of the president and the CIA ever, but a whole show just based on that give me a break. He appeals again to the sheep who watch because he tells them what they want to hear. It's not even just the reused characters and the liberals jokes, it's also that the regular jokes aren't funny either, they did well with family guy, even though they are on the same track, I don't know why they can't think of funnier material for this show.
  • Just an incredible concerned citizen. At least i like to believe that. Yeahhhh.

Stan Smith is a true-blue American hero, a clean-cut, square-jawed, supremely earnest saluter of Old Glory. He's also an important cog in the War on Terror, a decorated CIA operative responsible for keeping the U.S. safe. The funny part is that Stan is probably Crazy, Insane and seriously damage because he takes everything to the extreme. Watch this show Excellent.
  • I was hesitating about watching this show as I was told it wasn't very good. I decided to give it a try when I learned it was created by the makers of Family Guy.

Overall, its a good show and it has its moment where its actually better and funnier than Family Guy. I like most of the episodes, especially the ones that include the CIA, they always seem to come up with good jokes around that topic.

The characters are funny, especially Roger and alien and than German talking fish, I forgot his name... Klause or something? Ive only seen the first episode so far but I am seriously considering renting the season 2 box set soon because its been a while since I've seen one of their new episodes. I wonder how many season American Dad will get...
  • Good in a small dose.

5.2
    american dad is family guys jokes that have been chewed up and spat out worse then before.

The people who make american dad should not be able to sleep at night it is that bad.

in conclusion anyone who says family guy is worse than american dad is a liar and should be shot on sight and if they survive they should be shot again and again untill they are dead or unable to have children not from being un-able to have a child but becouse they are so mangled and twisted no one ever would sleep with them not even if they had been paid to.
  • American Dad is a great show that is way underrated.

American Dad! is an animated comedy on Fox created by Seth McFarlane who also created Family Guy. I find this show very hilarious, especially Roger, the alien that Stan, the family man and CIA Agent, is hiding from his co-workers. American Dad! has only one flaw: it seems like Seth McFarlane was having writer's block or a memory lapse when thinking about a concept for a new show. American Dad! is almost completely identical to Family Guy minus the Non Sequitors. Stan is pretty much like Peter (an oaf and the dad), as is Francine to Lois (hard-working mother), Steve to Chris (nerdy son), Hayley to Meg (underappreciated daughter, outcast to most of the family), Klaus to Brian (talking family pet), and Roger to Stewie (other member of family who no one knows can talk or even exists). Other than that, this is a great show, and I would definitely keep watching it until it's cancelled.
  • it`s quite funny and interesting.... but not my favorite show

es una hist q trata d una flia. norteamericana, integrada por cuatro perso nas, papa,mama, hijo e hija, cada uno con sus propias personalidades y conflictos, disputas amores enfermedades, etc., etc,. etc.... no es nada fuera de lo comun, es algo entretenida... es similar a `` family guy´´ ( es el mismo creador)... tambien es similar a los simpsons, personalment e vi unos cuantos capitulos.... es algo graciosa y tambien contiene diversas parodias y alusiones de otros shows... pero si uno se encuentra burrido o cansado.. para relajarse esta comedia ( aunque no sea de las mejorees) es bastantr einteresante jejejej!!!!
  • Please Delete this

4.7
    Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this
  • Not cool.

What the hell is this ? It's a rip -off of a rip -off ! They couldn't make it more obvious ! Seth Mac Farlane seems to be the most unimaginative guy in the world of the animation . Did you liked "Family Guy " ? well ,this have exactly the same jokes and the same bunch of stereotypical characters . They couldn't be more unoriginal : we have the reactionary father , the liberal daughter with his hippie boy -friend , the mother that only have the role of housewife ... again as in "Family Guy " the jokes don't have any connection with the plot of the episodes , the same cultural references ... But what makes me hate this show more it's that instead of improve it ,they still recycle the same ideas again and again and try to convince us that they made something completely new . I guess that "American Dad !" won't be in my list of favorites.
  • 5 reasons why American Dad is my joint favourite show

5. I hate Anime cartoons and really stupid kid's ones which leaves, Simpsons, Futurama, Family Guy, South Park and American Dad.

4. I hate corny humor which gets rid of Futurama.

3. I love hilarious animation which gets rid of the Simpsons.

2. I don't like it when they rush stories or can swap exact scenes around from one episode to the other. That just leaves American Dad and South Park.

1. South Park is much funnier but the animation is so much better in American Dad.

So at the moment I can't decide between them. I'll probaly be the only one with this opinion, though.
  • Please Don't Hate me for Saying this guys but This is how I feel about these Shows!!

one thing this is Not anime at all to me it's dumb wrong and just plan SICK!!!! Hello why would you watch this there are so many other things that you could laugh about that don't have to be this sick!!!!

For one thing its twisted,wrong sick sexual and above all just a dumb thing to watch I mean Just becuase somthing is adult does that mean it has to be sick I think it taking up money and space on adultswim that could be used for anime that's worth that time. I just don't understand how could Anyone Enjoy Such Things!!!!Is this what the U.S.A has Become that people enjoy watching such things. I mean a little of something a little bad is okay once in awhile throughout the Whole Anime!!!!!! but too have something that sick wrong that Bad!!! I can't even think about what the people who are that makes this stuff I mean come on people don't we have any morals anymore.!!!!!!
  • domb, gay retarted, not funny, exc.

i saw a few episodes and thaught they were okay. but when they make bill clinton look like a sex pervert its not funny. i mean stan is not as cool as peter. and Roger the alien i a **** obviously, and not nearly as funny as brian is. and steve is a queer who is nerdy and unfunny. haley might as well become a hippie. klaus is a wierd character and perverted. francine has a nice rack for a cartoon character. the show just isn't funny. especially the episode where bullock dates haley it wasn't funny at all. come on seth family guy is five times the show this is.
  • Better then average American humour!

First thing I must say is that I haven't need nearly as many episodes of American Dad! as most of you, because they only show the first 13 episodes in Australia. I don't understand how and why they even released "Season 1" when its only half the season.

From what I have read on this site it seems that most people were either expecting Family guy 2 or just don't get the humour involved. First off if it was a Family Guy clone down to the last you people would complain about that too. In regards to the humour it seems that its mostly Americans who don't get it, this seems to be that Americans are so die hard patriotic that they cant laugh that there own country's mistakes, misfortunes and oversights. Alot of stuff they do on American Dad! is poking fun at American and its values and way of life. This is funny to the rest of the world as Americans have a very high sense of self worth, while most don't even know anything outside there own country.

Maybe American Dad! even though sounds patriotic shouldn't be viewed by the larger audience in the USA, but then again, these are the same people who didn't get Family Guy either until it was brought back in 2005 (I think)
  • hahahahahahahahahahaha

this show has an awsoem subject on it, it has twists, it has funny stuff that just pops out of no where. what else are you going to see that has an alien living in there house, a talkeing gold fish that acts smarter then everyone in the hous, and the aliens stuff* wink wink* makeing a fill in for cholslaw. i pity the fool that hasnt seen this show. haha. its just so hilarious, when the dad burns his thing *wink wink* then he usyes lotion then his son walks in while hes putting it on then his dad tries to help him get it out of his head.
  • Another spoof of an American family, this time with a dad who works for the government. Otherwise, it's very similar to Family Guy.

7.3
    The show is Family Guy's less original, but more politically oriented cousin. The show is amusing enough, but it lacks a special something that would make it stand out amongst the hundreds of comedy shows. Unfortunately, it is all too similar to Family Guy and not as funny. It's another show that should be straddling the line between funny and stupid ( the way most good comedies seem to ) . Unfortunately, the show is often just forgettable.

However, if it didn't have any good points I wouldn't be bothering to write a review about it. The show has potential, it just hasn't found it's stride yet.
  • It's not what you think

I know a lot of people who have dismissed American Dad after seeing just a couple of episodes. These people usually say they think its a knock off of Family Guy. They have a point. There are obvious similarities, nuclear family, talking animals, ect. But these friends are missing what makes this show great. American Dad, actualy, is closer to the Norman Lehr classic All in the Family. Amerincan Dad takes the generational diferences but adds even more diminsions. Yes there is a good amount of low brow antics, but I think the high roads the show does take more than make up for it.
  • Why did they make this!

This is way more tolerable than family guy but, like someone before me said, it lacks original jazz. It's a worse version of family guy, and I'd rather have them both removed from the air. Everytime I watch it or even get a glimpse of it, I feel like I should be playing in traffic. This is one show that tears at me the whole time my eyes ingest the nonsense. I'd rather watch it than family guy, but I'd honestly prefer to not hear or see either one. I don't watch either very often, but when they each came out, it was awesome. However I feel it's trying to be a different version of the simpsons and it's not turned out very well for either.
  • Why did they make this!

• I don't like this show.

5.3
    American Dad was created by Seth MacFarlane, the creator of Family Guy, you think he could have made a better show. But, he didn't, the humer isn't funny to me. Family Guy has a lot of random things in the episodes. It seems like it's 2% of Family Guy, 20% of The Simpsons, and 78% political crap that equals 100 percent of a pure, unoriginal show on Fox. I don't think the plots are very original they seem like Simpsons plots that were thrown in a dumpster and left to rot there. And they were then changed slightly and put on TV.

-Lickpoop
  • funny

7.8
    Stan Smith (voiced by MacFarlane) is a true-blue American hero, a clean-cut, square-jawed, supremely earnest saluter of Old Glory. He's also an important cog in the War on Terror, a decorated CIA operative responsible for keeping the U.S. safe and freedom on the march. On the home front, he's somewhat less successful. His daughter Hayley (Seth's daughter Rachael) is a crunchy granola community college lefty who looks for every opportunity to challenge Dad. He has trouble relating to his son Steve (Scott Grimes), a pasty pre-pubescent loser with a Shazam t-shirt and no luck with the ladies. And his wife Francine (Wendy Schaal) is mostly supportive, but lacks enthusiasm about brandishing her machetes when Stan suspects a late-night attack by Osama bin Laden (Stan screams, "If I die, you must protect the clan!").
  • American Dad, exactly what you need if you want a laugh.

American Dad is a brilliant animated comedy, from one of the best comedy writers in the world, Seth McFarlane. The plots are very well written, the jokes hilarious, and the characters awesome. This is no ordinary average family for an animated series though, it includes a fish with a brain of a German skier and an alien that helped save Stan, the CIA agent.

Ican guarentee you that this show will have you in stitches, I cannot wait for season 2 to come out on DVD as it is one of the best animated shows... EVER! You can't go wrong by watching it.
  • American Dad features fresh and smart humor but lacks that original jazz...

I am a fan of animated cartoons like Family Guy, and I have to say that American Dad is not a waste of time, it is quite fun to watch actually.

If you enjoy witty jokes and satires, American Dad is definitely the show for you; and its not really as unoriginal as some people say - sure the family thing has been done to death, but American Dad still incorporates the fresh humor that makes this show a gem.

I really suggest that you guys continue watching this, and if you haven't yet, give it a try, I'm sure it will sate your funny bones. :)
  • American Dad tells about the family of Stan Smith, a CIA agent protecting the United States Of America from all possible threats; while getting into awkward situations.

American Dad, the spin-off of the very popular FOX show, Family guy, gives viewers what they want counting on the quality that Family Guy and Seth MacFarlane have brought us for so long.

The series brings a more edgy and diverse sort of comedy, not relying on flashbacks and giving more sitcom-styled comedy, instead of lashing at old movies and celebrities, though that is supplied in full amounts. The comedy starts to repeat itself once you get through the first season, but still in a way, keeps itself fresh and you find yourself laughing at the stupid pointers and situations Stand and his family get into.

The quality of the series is very consistent, giving political satire and parodies of popular movies and current happenings, touching the very essence of quality TV comedy. Some might find shots at minorities and political groups and their ideals a bit offensive, but as a good comedy fan says; If you can't laugh at yourself, you can't laugh at others.

A 9 is the perfect score for the series, as it delivers what you expect, and the fans of Family Guy won't be disappointed; as well as newer fans of comedy cartoons. American Dad is far from being perfect, as most might find the series as a pure spin-off of Family Guy, which it is. The style of the story, the families and situations are similar, and you probably think it might be a bit of a sham, just to get money. Either way you look at it, you'll still be laughing at the end of every joke.
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12