American Dad!

TVTome_Shadow

American Dad! Fan Reviews page 9 of 24

• Good in a small dose.

5.2
    american dad is family guys jokes that have been chewed up and spat out worse then before.

The people who make american dad should not be able to sleep at night it is that bad.

in conclusion anyone who says family guy is worse than american dad is a liar and should be shot on sight and if they survive they should be shot again and again untill they are dead or unable to have children not from being un-able to have a child but becouse they are so mangled and twisted no one ever would sleep with them not even if they had been paid to.
  • American Dad is a great show that is way underrated.

American Dad! is an animated comedy on Fox created by Seth McFarlane who also created Family Guy. I find this show very hilarious, especially Roger, the alien that Stan, the family man and CIA Agent, is hiding from his co-workers. American Dad! has only one flaw: it seems like Seth McFarlane was having writer's block or a memory lapse when thinking about a concept for a new show. American Dad! is almost completely identical to Family Guy minus the Non Sequitors. Stan is pretty much like Peter (an oaf and the dad), as is Francine to Lois (hard-working mother), Steve to Chris (nerdy son), Hayley to Meg (underappreciated daughter, outcast to most of the family), Klaus to Brian (talking family pet), and Roger to Stewie (other member of family who no one knows can talk or even exists). Other than that, this is a great show, and I would definitely keep watching it until it's cancelled.
  • it`s quite funny and interesting.... but not my favorite show

es una hist q trata d una flia. norteamericana, integrada por cuatro perso nas, papa,mama, hijo e hija, cada uno con sus propias personalidades y conflictos, disputas amores enfermedades, etc., etc,. etc.... no es nada fuera de lo comun, es algo entretenida... es similar a `` family guy´´ ( es el mismo creador)... tambien es similar a los simpsons, personalment e vi unos cuantos capitulos.... es algo graciosa y tambien contiene diversas parodias y alusiones de otros shows... pero si uno se encuentra burrido o cansado.. para relajarse esta comedia ( aunque no sea de las mejorees) es bastantr einteresante jejejej!!!!
  • Please Delete this

4.7
    Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this Please Delete this
  • Not cool.

What the hell is this ? It's a rip -off of a rip -off ! They couldn't make it more obvious ! Seth Mac Farlane seems to be the most unimaginative guy in the world of the animation . Did you liked "Family Guy " ? well ,this have exactly the same jokes and the same bunch of stereotypical characters . They couldn't be more unoriginal : we have the reactionary father , the liberal daughter with his hippie boy -friend , the mother that only have the role of housewife ... again as in "Family Guy " the jokes don't have any connection with the plot of the episodes , the same cultural references ... But what makes me hate this show more it's that instead of improve it ,they still recycle the same ideas again and again and try to convince us that they made something completely new . I guess that "American Dad !" won't be in my list of favorites.
  • 5 reasons why American Dad is my joint favourite show

5. I hate Anime cartoons and really stupid kid's ones which leaves, Simpsons, Futurama, Family Guy, South Park and American Dad.

4. I hate corny humor which gets rid of Futurama.

3. I love hilarious animation which gets rid of the Simpsons.

2. I don't like it when they rush stories or can swap exact scenes around from one episode to the other. That just leaves American Dad and South Park.

1. South Park is much funnier but the animation is so much better in American Dad.

So at the moment I can't decide between them. I'll probaly be the only one with this opinion, though.
  • Please Don't Hate me for Saying this guys but This is how I feel about these Shows!!

one thing this is Not anime at all to me it's dumb wrong and just plan SICK!!!! Hello why would you watch this there are so many other things that you could laugh about that don't have to be this sick!!!!

For one thing its twisted,wrong sick sexual and above all just a dumb thing to watch I mean Just becuase somthing is adult does that mean it has to be sick I think it taking up money and space on adultswim that could be used for anime that's worth that time. I just don't understand how could Anyone Enjoy Such Things!!!!Is this what the U.S.A has Become that people enjoy watching such things. I mean a little of something a little bad is okay once in awhile throughout the Whole Anime!!!!!! but too have something that sick wrong that Bad!!! I can't even think about what the people who are that makes this stuff I mean come on people don't we have any morals anymore.!!!!!!
  • domb, gay retarted, not funny, exc.

i saw a few episodes and thaught they were okay. but when they make bill clinton look like a sex pervert its not funny. i mean stan is not as cool as peter. and Roger the alien i a **** obviously, and not nearly as funny as brian is. and steve is a queer who is nerdy and unfunny. haley might as well become a hippie. klaus is a wierd character and perverted. francine has a nice rack for a cartoon character. the show just isn't funny. especially the episode where bullock dates haley it wasn't funny at all. come on seth family guy is five times the show this is.
  • Better then average American humour!

First thing I must say is that I haven't need nearly as many episodes of American Dad! as most of you, because they only show the first 13 episodes in Australia. I don't understand how and why they even released "Season 1" when its only half the season.

From what I have read on this site it seems that most people were either expecting Family guy 2 or just don't get the humour involved. First off if it was a Family Guy clone down to the last you people would complain about that too. In regards to the humour it seems that its mostly Americans who don't get it, this seems to be that Americans are so die hard patriotic that they cant laugh that there own country's mistakes, misfortunes and oversights. Alot of stuff they do on American Dad! is poking fun at American and its values and way of life. This is funny to the rest of the world as Americans have a very high sense of self worth, while most don't even know anything outside there own country.

Maybe American Dad! even though sounds patriotic shouldn't be viewed by the larger audience in the USA, but then again, these are the same people who didn't get Family Guy either until it was brought back in 2005 (I think)
  • hahahahahahahahahahaha

this show has an awsoem subject on it, it has twists, it has funny stuff that just pops out of no where. what else are you going to see that has an alien living in there house, a talkeing gold fish that acts smarter then everyone in the hous, and the aliens stuff* wink wink* makeing a fill in for cholslaw. i pity the fool that hasnt seen this show. haha. its just so hilarious, when the dad burns his thing *wink wink* then he usyes lotion then his son walks in while hes putting it on then his dad tries to help him get it out of his head.
  • Another spoof of an American family, this time with a dad who works for the government. Otherwise, it's very similar to Family Guy.

7.3
    The show is Family Guy's less original, but more politically oriented cousin. The show is amusing enough, but it lacks a special something that would make it stand out amongst the hundreds of comedy shows. Unfortunately, it is all too similar to Family Guy and not as funny. It's another show that should be straddling the line between funny and stupid ( the way most good comedies seem to ) . Unfortunately, the show is often just forgettable.

However, if it didn't have any good points I wouldn't be bothering to write a review about it. The show has potential, it just hasn't found it's stride yet.
  • It's not what you think

I know a lot of people who have dismissed American Dad after seeing just a couple of episodes. These people usually say they think its a knock off of Family Guy. They have a point. There are obvious similarities, nuclear family, talking animals, ect. But these friends are missing what makes this show great. American Dad, actualy, is closer to the Norman Lehr classic All in the Family. Amerincan Dad takes the generational diferences but adds even more diminsions. Yes there is a good amount of low brow antics, but I think the high roads the show does take more than make up for it.
  • Why did they make this!

This is way more tolerable than family guy but, like someone before me said, it lacks original jazz. It's a worse version of family guy, and I'd rather have them both removed from the air. Everytime I watch it or even get a glimpse of it, I feel like I should be playing in traffic. This is one show that tears at me the whole time my eyes ingest the nonsense. I'd rather watch it than family guy, but I'd honestly prefer to not hear or see either one. I don't watch either very often, but when they each came out, it was awesome. However I feel it's trying to be a different version of the simpsons and it's not turned out very well for either.
  • Why did they make this!

• I don't like this show.

5.3
    American Dad was created by Seth MacFarlane, the creator of Family Guy, you think he could have made a better show. But, he didn't, the humer isn't funny to me. Family Guy has a lot of random things in the episodes. It seems like it's 2% of Family Guy, 20% of The Simpsons, and 78% political crap that equals 100 percent of a pure, unoriginal show on Fox. I don't think the plots are very original they seem like Simpsons plots that were thrown in a dumpster and left to rot there. And they were then changed slightly and put on TV.

-Lickpoop
  • funny

7.8
    Stan Smith (voiced by MacFarlane) is a true-blue American hero, a clean-cut, square-jawed, supremely earnest saluter of Old Glory. He's also an important cog in the War on Terror, a decorated CIA operative responsible for keeping the U.S. safe and freedom on the march. On the home front, he's somewhat less successful. His daughter Hayley (Seth's daughter Rachael) is a crunchy granola community college lefty who looks for every opportunity to challenge Dad. He has trouble relating to his son Steve (Scott Grimes), a pasty pre-pubescent loser with a Shazam t-shirt and no luck with the ladies. And his wife Francine (Wendy Schaal) is mostly supportive, but lacks enthusiasm about brandishing her machetes when Stan suspects a late-night attack by Osama bin Laden (Stan screams, "If I die, you must protect the clan!").
  • American Dad, exactly what you need if you want a laugh.

American Dad is a brilliant animated comedy, from one of the best comedy writers in the world, Seth McFarlane. The plots are very well written, the jokes hilarious, and the characters awesome. This is no ordinary average family for an animated series though, it includes a fish with a brain of a German skier and an alien that helped save Stan, the CIA agent.

Ican guarentee you that this show will have you in stitches, I cannot wait for season 2 to come out on DVD as it is one of the best animated shows... EVER! You can't go wrong by watching it.
  • American Dad features fresh and smart humor but lacks that original jazz...

I am a fan of animated cartoons like Family Guy, and I have to say that American Dad is not a waste of time, it is quite fun to watch actually.

If you enjoy witty jokes and satires, American Dad is definitely the show for you; and its not really as unoriginal as some people say - sure the family thing has been done to death, but American Dad still incorporates the fresh humor that makes this show a gem.

I really suggest that you guys continue watching this, and if you haven't yet, give it a try, I'm sure it will sate your funny bones. :)
  • American Dad tells about the family of Stan Smith, a CIA agent protecting the United States Of America from all possible threats; while getting into awkward situations.

American Dad, the spin-off of the very popular FOX show, Family guy, gives viewers what they want counting on the quality that Family Guy and Seth MacFarlane have brought us for so long.

The series brings a more edgy and diverse sort of comedy, not relying on flashbacks and giving more sitcom-styled comedy, instead of lashing at old movies and celebrities, though that is supplied in full amounts. The comedy starts to repeat itself once you get through the first season, but still in a way, keeps itself fresh and you find yourself laughing at the stupid pointers and situations Stand and his family get into.

The quality of the series is very consistent, giving political satire and parodies of popular movies and current happenings, touching the very essence of quality TV comedy. Some might find shots at minorities and political groups and their ideals a bit offensive, but as a good comedy fan says; If you can't laugh at yourself, you can't laugh at others.

A 9 is the perfect score for the series, as it delivers what you expect, and the fans of Family Guy won't be disappointed; as well as newer fans of comedy cartoons. American Dad is far from being perfect, as most might find the series as a pure spin-off of Family Guy, which it is. The style of the story, the families and situations are similar, and you probably think it might be a bit of a sham, just to get money. Either way you look at it, you'll still be laughing at the end of every joke.
  • Stan Smith is in the CIA

I love this show. It has an good sence of humor and just gets better every season. The show has a very original stuff to the story line. The animation is good looking. It has very talented voice actors such, Seth Macfarlane. I think the story line kills the simpsons. The simpsons has been going downhill ever since the 14 season, but thats just an opinion. Just ask my guys they agree. Seth Macfarlane is a very creative young man, with a good sence of humor. I love the characters in this show, they all have a good personality. LOVE AD.
  • Stan and Deliver Like most cartoons, it is its sense of originality that makes it hard to love, and yet what makes you want to watch it.

I titled this review Stan and deliver because just as the movie stand and deliver, I tried to find humor in a serious subject and came up incredibly short. Though in our post 9/11 society we are inundated with jokes about terrorism, George Bush, and WMDs. It becomes a completely different situation when it’s a cartoon. Cartoons are a safe haven, a way to escape the harsh realities. I watch The Simpsons because they tell jokes about events that happened like 6 months to a year ago. I watch South Park because they tell fart jokes as if their audience is a bunch of 5 year olds, and yet they curse as often as possible to remind us that you better be a grown up to watch this. American Dad changes lives in the sense that it made aliens, CIA conspiracies, and even immigration unfunny. Though there was some attributes of this show that made AD interested enough to continue watching, my soul would not allow itself to be put through the aguish on a continuous basis. The talking fish and his DVD like commentary was quite entertaining, in the same way that watching a movie with the commentary on is. Yet when it came time for his wife to talk, the mute button could not be pushed fast enough. Worse then that, the social commentary of his pseudo-environment slut of a daughter, took pot shots at the idea of an empowered woman. I expected more and was only given a taste of what true humor could be, it’s clear that fox just doesn’t want to run the risk of negating a show that could end up being a big money winner (i.e. Family Guy). I would not be sad if this show where to be pulled, but if you must waste our time and brain cells at least make me laugh in the process.

PEACE!!
  • Otherwise... the dialogues can be pretty funny..

6.3
    However, besides that... we all know that the creators of Family Guy created this, which is the problem. They made the animation style pretty much exactly like Family Guy, so it tends to confuse you easily. Well, for me anyway.
    Although the dialogues are funny, they just still are too much like the ones on Family Guy.
  • its ok

American Dad is pretty unorigional. its really just a copy of The Simpsons and Family Guy, and to some extent, Futurama, though still funny at times. i have only seen some what i think might be the first season, and it was pretty funny, but i think that it is kind of sick, but in a different way to Family Guy in the way that it is sick, but not funny, Eg. Steve and stan taking a pill that gives them extremely large breasts. That is just NOT NICE, NASTY!!!!!
    anyway, some of the more memorable episodes include the one where Stan forgets his anniversary, and the pilot, other than those and some others, this show really isnt my kettl'a'fish.
  • All too many comparisons to Family Guy. My opinion? It stands on its own.

Not the kind of thing I thought I'd find myself watching. But since BBC 2 kindly brought some American animation to its schedules, I thought it would be fair to take a look. I wasn't disappointed.

It's loud, brash, and exactly what I was expecting. I have suspiscions it may alienate some non-Americans like myself and when I brought it up the next day my friends were 'who?' But I harboured some guilty affection for it, even if it does draw off the stereotypes some people believe America is made from. It is the fact that it makes fun of these stereotypes that is so enjoyable about it, and throws in some surreal elements with it (a horny German fish, anyone?)

I say give them their dues, and stop comparing it to Family Guy. They make completely different statements. Give it a go, you may be pleasantly surprised.
  • Similar to family guy, a great show

I wasnt a massive fan when this show started.. I didnt think it would be very good but so far it has exceeded my expectations by a LONG way and now i love it! It's hilarious, the characters are funny, the plots are generally pretty good and I cant get enough of it.

My biggest concern with the show is what i consider to be one of the biggest pros about the show, it's sacrastic patriotism. I think its funny, the fact that the basically rip the USA to pieces with sarcasm, i think its even funnier that a lot of americans probably dont get it, but i worry that because of this, its popularity in the states could diminish somewhat leaving it to become yet another brilliant show that FOX systematically destroys.. I hope that doesnt happen.. Great show!
  • A pretty great show and is probably forever going to be compared to its counterpart, Family Guy.

This show has a lot of potential. Although it is still relatively new, it has some good episodes with some creative jokes. I think it may not be as good as Family Guy, but it's getting there. Sometimes I wish some of the jokes in American Dad were in Family Guy. In certain occasions, it feels like the same thing as Family Guy. Some of its elements are similar to that of Family Guy and that's what might make people not like it. However, American Dad does have a lot of characteristics separate from Family Guy.

Overall, American Dad is a decent show. It has some laughs here and there. It's a show that you love it or hate it. If you love it, that's great. If you hate it, that's your problem.
  • its about a dad who works in the cia and has to provide for his family. its funny because he has a pet fish thattalks and an alien living with him.

• a pretty good show!

it is just like family guy just not as good. it has it laughs i don't know why people dislike it so much. it is a good show not in my top 30 but in my top 40. i recommened this show to die hard fans of family guy you might be a little disapointed but you will come to like this seris. i must admit though i was a tiny dissapointed when i first saw it but then i being to like not as much as family guy. it has it's good episodes and it has it's bad ones.
  • Family Guy in the Parallel Universe

Don't get me wrong by the subject of my review, I love American Dad. The way the story lines go, it is differently different than Family Guy, but they use the same kind of joke "flashbacks" that are frequent on Family Guy. The shows may become a bit risqué at times, but the network puts out a warning before the show starts. This is why I never want to hear from the numerous PC idiots that he/she/it was offended by the content. If you are offended, TURN THE CHANNEL! That way, the rest of us that love the show and wanting to be entertained the way we want to, can be!
  • A family consisting off a CIA agent, a stay at home mom, a comic book nerd, a hippie, a talking fish, and a alien have shenanigans in their town in Virginia.

A very funny show, it is definently worth watching at least once. The first time I heard of the show, I thought it was going to be a rip-off of Family Guy. But when I watched it, I was pleasently surprised! It is now one of my favorite show ever! My favorite character has probobly got to be Stan. He has got to be the funniest character in the show. How he acts like everything is against America. It always makes me laugh. I also like the character of Roger the Alien. He always seems to make me laugh with all his regular disguises. All in all, American dad is a funny, funny, funny show. I have to give it a 10!
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13