American Dad!

Sunday 9:30 PM on FOX Premiered Feb 06, 2005 In Season

TVTome_Shadow

American Dad! Fan Reviews page 9 of 23

• Stan Smith is in the CIA

I love this show. It has an good sence of humor and just gets better every season. The show has a very original stuff to the story line. The animation is good looking. It has very talented voice actors such, Seth Macfarlane. I think the story line kills the simpsons. The simpsons has been going downhill ever since the 14 season, but thats just an opinion. Just ask my guys they agree. Seth Macfarlane is a very creative young man, with a good sence of humor. I love the characters in this show, they all have a good personality. LOVE AD.
  • Stan and Deliver Like most cartoons, it is its sense of originality that makes it hard to love, and yet what makes you want to watch it.

I titled this review Stan and deliver because just as the movie stand and deliver, I tried to find humor in a serious subject and came up incredibly short. Though in our post 9/11 society we are inundated with jokes about terrorism, George Bush, and WMDs. It becomes a completely different situation when it’s a cartoon. Cartoons are a safe haven, a way to escape the harsh realities. I watch The Simpsons because they tell jokes about events that happened like 6 months to a year ago. I watch South Park because they tell fart jokes as if their audience is a bunch of 5 year olds, and yet they curse as often as possible to remind us that you better be a grown up to watch this. American Dad changes lives in the sense that it made aliens, CIA conspiracies, and even immigration unfunny. Though there was some attributes of this show that made AD interested enough to continue watching, my soul would not allow itself to be put through the aguish on a continuous basis. The talking fish and his DVD like commentary was quite entertaining, in the same way that watching a movie with the commentary on is. Yet when it came time for his wife to talk, the mute button could not be pushed fast enough. Worse then that, the social commentary of his pseudo-environment slut of a daughter, took pot shots at the idea of an empowered woman. I expected more and was only given a taste of what true humor could be, it’s clear that fox just doesn’t want to run the risk of negating a show that could end up being a big money winner (i.e. Family Guy). I would not be sad if this show where to be pulled, but if you must waste our time and brain cells at least make me laugh in the process.

PEACE!!
  • Otherwise... the dialogues can be pretty funny..

6.3
    However, besides that... we all know that the creators of Family Guy created this, which is the problem. They made the animation style pretty much exactly like Family Guy, so it tends to confuse you easily. Well, for me anyway.
    Although the dialogues are funny, they just still are too much like the ones on Family Guy.
  • its ok

American Dad is pretty unorigional. its really just a copy of The Simpsons and Family Guy, and to some extent, Futurama, though still funny at times. i have only seen some what i think might be the first season, and it was pretty funny, but i think that it is kind of sick, but in a different way to Family Guy in the way that it is sick, but not funny, Eg. Steve and stan taking a pill that gives them extremely large breasts. That is just NOT NICE, NASTY!!!!!
    anyway, some of the more memorable episodes include the one where Stan forgets his anniversary, and the pilot, other than those and some others, this show really isnt my kettl'a'fish.
  • All too many comparisons to Family Guy. My opinion? It stands on its own.

Not the kind of thing I thought I'd find myself watching. But since BBC 2 kindly brought some American animation to its schedules, I thought it would be fair to take a look. I wasn't disappointed.

It's loud, brash, and exactly what I was expecting. I have suspiscions it may alienate some non-Americans like myself and when I brought it up the next day my friends were 'who?' But I harboured some guilty affection for it, even if it does draw off the stereotypes some people believe America is made from. It is the fact that it makes fun of these stereotypes that is so enjoyable about it, and throws in some surreal elements with it (a horny German fish, anyone?)

I say give them their dues, and stop comparing it to Family Guy. They make completely different statements. Give it a go, you may be pleasantly surprised.
  • Similar to family guy, a great show

I wasnt a massive fan when this show started.. I didnt think it would be very good but so far it has exceeded my expectations by a LONG way and now i love it! It's hilarious, the characters are funny, the plots are generally pretty good and I cant get enough of it.

My biggest concern with the show is what i consider to be one of the biggest pros about the show, it's sacrastic patriotism. I think its funny, the fact that the basically rip the USA to pieces with sarcasm, i think its even funnier that a lot of americans probably dont get it, but i worry that because of this, its popularity in the states could diminish somewhat leaving it to become yet another brilliant show that FOX systematically destroys.. I hope that doesnt happen.. Great show!
  • A pretty great show and is probably forever going to be compared to its counterpart, Family Guy.

This show has a lot of potential. Although it is still relatively new, it has some good episodes with some creative jokes. I think it may not be as good as Family Guy, but it's getting there. Sometimes I wish some of the jokes in American Dad were in Family Guy. In certain occasions, it feels like the same thing as Family Guy. Some of its elements are similar to that of Family Guy and that's what might make people not like it. However, American Dad does have a lot of characteristics separate from Family Guy.

Overall, American Dad is a decent show. It has some laughs here and there. It's a show that you love it or hate it. If you love it, that's great. If you hate it, that's your problem.
  • its about a dad who works in the cia and has to provide for his family. its funny because he has a pet fish thattalks and an alien living with him.

• a pretty good show!

it is just like family guy just not as good. it has it laughs i don't know why people dislike it so much. it is a good show not in my top 30 but in my top 40. i recommened this show to die hard fans of family guy you might be a little disapointed but you will come to like this seris. i must admit though i was a tiny dissapointed when i first saw it but then i being to like not as much as family guy. it has it's good episodes and it has it's bad ones.
  • Family Guy in the Parallel Universe

Don't get me wrong by the subject of my review, I love American Dad. The way the story lines go, it is differently different than Family Guy, but they use the same kind of joke "flashbacks" that are frequent on Family Guy. The shows may become a bit risqué at times, but the network puts out a warning before the show starts. This is why I never want to hear from the numerous PC idiots that he/she/it was offended by the content. If you are offended, TURN THE CHANNEL! That way, the rest of us that love the show and wanting to be entertained the way we want to, can be!
  • A family consisting off a CIA agent, a stay at home mom, a comic book nerd, a hippie, a talking fish, and a alien have shenanigans in their town in Virginia.

A very funny show, it is definently worth watching at least once. The first time I heard of the show, I thought it was going to be a rip-off of Family Guy. But when I watched it, I was pleasently surprised! It is now one of my favorite show ever! My favorite character has probobly got to be Stan. He has got to be the funniest character in the show. How he acts like everything is against America. It always makes me laugh. I also like the character of Roger the Alien. He always seems to make me laugh with all his regular disguises. All in all, American dad is a funny, funny, funny show. I have to give it a 10!
  • this is an ok show to watch in fox!!

She show is about a american family who makes us laugh and is similar to family guy and another version like the simpsons!! There's five main charaters in this show and they are the mom ,dad,brother, sister ,ana a weird alien!! They go to my diiferent things and things that happen to then without explination!!
  • lame

I think American dad is so lame.I mean like really the people cant think of new ideas they were sucsessful with family guy but i was like dude this is crap.They tried to make it as funny with a talkin fish.....NOT cool.and the alien....*cough cough* gay*cough cough*.You think about it i have pissed off so many isers with my reviews that it isnt funny poeple cant read cause on almost all of them it says "dont get to angry its only my opinion".so like i say on all my reviews dont have a fitt over my reviews so see you later.
  • Pretty good

I can't say this is my favorite show. This is definitely not better then Family Guy. I think it's actually better then the new Simpson's though. They got some good humor going on in the show and I guess that's why I manage to tune in every time there is a new episode. I would say the one character that always cracks me up is Roger. He's so weird looking which always makes me laugh. The way he tries to live in a human world is funny. I think Stan is funny as well especially the way he treats his kids.
  • Stan Smith is your average American Dad,with a beautiful wife,liberal daughter and nerdy son,except that he happens to work for the CIA,has an alien living upstairs and a fish that talks with a German accent.

American Dad is from Seth McFarlene,who also created Family Guy,and it is just as cutting edge,though I dont think it pushes the envelope the way Family Guy does,but the satire is just as biting,and there is more of a political edge to the humor.In some ways it is smarter than Family Guy,and I think its long term potential is more promising,because its on more of an even keel,humor wise,where Family Guy can only push the envelope so far,before it runs of places to push it.In fact,I think American Dad is still getting better while FG is showing signs of running out of gas.
  • Sometimes good. Sometimes just plain weird.

5.1
    Sometimes this show is funny but other times it is just plain weird. Practically every episode has to do about sex. For the last three weeks American dad episodes were about sex. I'm watching an episode right now. Guess what it is about. Sex. In this episode Stan is trying to make tv cleaner. Well this show is as dirty as a fireplace. But other episodes are gunny like the Camp Refoogee episode. That was hilarious. Roger is always doing something really stupid. Like he tries to become a proffesor at Hailey's College. Overall ok show but really sick
    Peace out.
  • Not as good as family guy, but still very good!

As some of you may know that America Dad came for the creaters of Family Guy. No I think this show is alreight but just alright. Its nowhere near as good as family guy but its stil funny. So the show is weird because one of the main characters is a Fish and another is an alien. This was supposed to make the show funnier but I don't really see it that way, but whatever. So anyway the show is worth it to look at if nothing else is on but this is still average or above average and its funny at times.
  • American Dad rules!

I first started to watch this show on my DVD and i continue to do so it's a great animated series about a father named Stan who works for the CIA and his wife Francine who constantly whines alot and there's his son Steve who desperately tries to get a girl but fails then there's Hayley the family's 18 year old daughter,Then there's Roger who is an alien but he is still family and then there's Klaus the goldfish who was originally a human but then they switched his brain with a goldfish and he is secretly in love with Francine. What's not to love about this show? This show was OK at first but it got better and better well done to Seth MacFarlane for making another good show and keep up the good work.
  • This show could be so much better

I don’t hate American Dad, it’s just that it leaves something to be desired. When I watch it, I feel like I’m watching a second rate episode of Family Guy, it’s like all the rejected jokes from Family Guy end up here. The characters, especially Stan, are all too familiar, the only original one that is mildly amusing is the effeminate alien. The fish, contrary to popular belief, is not funny at all, and neither are Stan’s stupid one-liners. How one of the great comics of our time, Seth MacFarlane, is behind such an unfunny show doesn’t make any sense. Oh yeah, before I leave, I read one review by someone who thought Matt Groening (creator of The Simpsons & Futurama), and I’d just like to say to him/her, you, are an idiot, thank you, and goodnight.
  • this show is such a copy of family guy. stan what an idiot and the fish is just a copy of the dog and what about that alien loser and the kids need HELP.

this show is such a copy of family guy. stan what an idiot and the fish is just a copy of the dog and what about that alien loser and the kids need HELP. this so is so past and a cheap version of family guy and is some what similar to the simpsons so i hope it goes away soon it won't be missed at all unless the r fans then they need help more then the show haha haha
  • An American dad will do anything for his country.

This show is hilaious. I can see why this is one of Fox's Four Fathers of Comedy!I watched the latest episode from 1/7 and it was hilarious. I never stopped laughing. I'm glad Family Guy was almost cancelled or this would've never spawned. Overall Awesome Show! p8qt9n q4tv [8t4v 8ytv 8tvn98ave8n9 8n9 yn8 n8y ga8yn g8yngant4auiht4v jht98nt uihegr8n9ew iuw8y9 tw utw89trui gy89gui t 89g uyg ygrgry89grehug r89gr gry8gr egregre gre8rge g89ngu gren98g re urgegre g8y9eg eg89 uhguge uge9gre hegu eu er8y9gre gr78g hgsryug uegr u 8 hug8u9 gay89are rgy 78y8rg ry7rh 78rg hre7 yr7rf rrae ra87rg rg r 78grgr gry7 erg
  • man i love family guy and this series just make it whole lot better

awesome just completely awesome i mean this show is just like family guy wthout the flash backs. i have to give this series a 10 i mean it maybe unoriginal but i mean come on this show really good. i like how each story is different and sometimes similar in a ha ha ha funny. great show i got to give props.
  • Wow

Indeed a great show. Sice the first episode i watched, i knew it would have deserved a perfect score. I say the show rocks, just like the similar shows to it, from simpsons to family guy, but american dad is just better than many similars. None of the other shows i have seen are even similar to this, just for the having an alien in the house. The best part of the show is proabably that having an alien in the house is cool, especially when he drinks gallons of champagne. The boss looking for their alien doesn't even think he is hiding in their house.

JUST GREAT
  • American dad- an ok show, but way too much like family guy

American dad is a show on fox and its just like family guy. The shows are both really centered around the dads, and both have a talking pet (well roger is an alien, but still). Even though its very similiar to family guy, its still pretty funny and worth the watch sometimes. The one bad thing is that the characters are so much worse in this show. First of all, there is no character like stewie, and bryan is by far a much better character then roger, and Chris is alot more funny then steve. Hayley might be a bit of a better character then meg, but they both arent anything special. Overall, if theres nothing on thats catching your interest, give this show a try because its really not that bad, but it will make you wish that youre watching family guy.
  • American Dad! is another great show from Seth MacFarlane creator of Family Guy.

American Dad! started off really good, but for a few episoded it started to slip like when stan's son got breast implants, which was pretty weird. The last couple of shows however have been some of the best yet. Stan Smith is a great character and is very funny, in my opinion he pretty much carries the show though. Roger who is the alcholic alien that lives with them is also one of the funnier character of the show. Some of the other character are pretty weak like klous their fish, who they could easily do without. Overall Amercan Dad! is still a great show, which i now like more than family guy, which is not as good as it was before it was cancelled.In conclusion American Dad! could be better, but it is still great and will likely continue to improve.
  • American Dad is possibly the worst show on television.

When I watch this show I feel nauseous, and my mind withers as I struggle for sanity. The characters are horribly unoriginal stereotypes, that fail to amuse me nor do they make me laugh. The father Stan Smith, is a pompous wind bag stylized in a overtly exaggerated "red state" mentality. Unfortunately for the viewer, his character is this shows focal point for humor. His constant obsession for control, and concern with "being conservative", is the foundation in which all plot lines are created. His wife Francine, is your basic white bread television house wife modeled after shows of yesteryear, her comedic presence is mostly a model vs. character setting, that hopes for laughter with contradictory actions. Stan's son and daughter, fight as sibling rivals so full of quirk and "inappropriate" actions. The son is a teenage boy who looks up to his father, I think it is implied that we should laugh at his shortcomings and misguided fondness for the opposite sex. Personally I can't feel for this forced humor. Stan's daughter,is a text book liberal hippy chick, so just imagine the conflict, oh the laughter. Basically think Bart and Lisa Simpson but more "cutting edge". The live in talking life form that one would expect from a random and hilarious show is a fish named Klaus, he has a love for Francine, and likes to tell some real zingers, oh and he has the mind of a German ski instructor..ha ha. Rodger is an alien who lives in the attic, he is an alcoholic, I'm almost sure he is a play on homophobia. That being said American Dad sends its viewer on a generic quest for entertainment en locked in pop culture riddled stories. The jokes never stand as firm as they were meant to be placed, and at most times fail to bring out the stereotypical hate monger inside us all. I don't know if this show is meant to be a critique on American life, or if while watching one should critique them self.
  • the best work by matt groening.

this is a truely award winning show. the characters as allways in any matt groening cartoon work so well with eachother. for instance you have steve - stans son who is a geek and trys to wind up his sister. hayleigh - stans daughter who is a serious hippie. francine - stans wife who is a perfectly sculptes underapreciated unambicious house wife. stan - a cia agent who is a ruthless killing machine who puts himself above his familly and trys to run their lives. clouse - a goldfish with the brain of an olympic german skiier. roger - an alien who saved stans life at area 51 and now lives with them who acts like a woman. they all work together really well al it is truthfully the best cartoon i have ever seen!
  • there is no doubt about it this show started off weak but it gets better every week.

At first, I thought this show was just a dumbed down verison of family guy with uninteresting characters, but now in it's second season i have to say this show makes me laugh almost as hard as its mentor. stan is absolutely hilarious, a conservative CIA member who reminds me of all the people i hate in america. he's really gullible and will believe anything he is told. he's also a moron, but in a different way than peter griffin. the show has become more fresh. one problem i still have with this show is roger. he really isn't funny. i can tell they're trying to make him funny, but he just isn't. hayley isn't as funny as meg, only because she isn't easily made fun of.

i will continue to watch this show every week with simpsons and family guy as it gets better and better.

quote of the series: "haha! that IS so raven!" - stan
  • American Dad: A Good Animation Show

American Dad follows the life of an CIA agent and his family. Coming from the creator of Family Guy, one of the best animation projects in history. American Dad is a show that I watched regularly before but became uninterested and now I watch very seldom. It sort of reminds me of a terrible clone of Family Guy. FOX should just stick with cartoons like The Simpsons, Family Guy, and King of the Hill. The alien on AD is so freaky and isn't funny at all. The gold fish is just I can't find the words. The first season was excellent but the second season should be the last.
  • It is awesome but for some reason it dosnt make me want to watch it!?

7.9
    Well how can i reveiw this?
    i\\\'ll start watching this and then i\\\'ll just turn it over funny though!
    It is no where near as good as Family Guy it is probably the complete opposite but apart from that it is a really funny and cool show.
    I live in the U.K and find it hard to find it on T.v as Family Guy it may be as not as many people watch this as people watch Family Guy. But a really funny show that has a good storyline and i just think it is smart! WoW!

Thanks for reading my reveiw!
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13