American Dad!

Stan of Arabia (2)

Aired Monday 9:30 PM Nov 13, 2005 on TBS

• Weaker than part 1

As the Smiths continue to live in Saudi Arabia, Stan is fully enjoying the male-dominated society, while the rest of the family struggles with the different social norms. Meanwhile, Francine's musical expos on gender roles gets her into trouble, and a brush with death leads the Smiths to return to the United States. Eh, this episode was way weaker part 1. My huge problem was this episode lacked humor. I didn't laugh very much in this episode. My biggest laughs were Francine singing (and she get caught) and most of the parts that involve Steve. I laughed a couple times as well. I liked the very ending though. Overall a weaker episode of American Dad....maybe the weakest episode of the second half of season 1 since it is a huge improvement. 6.5/10
  • Well we continue in Saudi Arabia...where they made the whole experience anti-funny. Francine sings a rebellious song, Steve becomes a failed prophet, Hailey sleeps with a not-Al-Queda guy, and Roger becomes a concubine. Potential to be funny..but not.

2.9
    Yeah, bye American Dad. I had to fight to not fall asleep during this episode. I don't think I really even laughed during this episode. The two funniest parts were when Hailey found out her man wasn's part of Al-Queda and when Thundercat threw a rock at Francine and called her a "w-word." But other than that, the rest of the episode was just boring. The jokes were more lame than funny.

Examples - Roger's concubine thing was just weird, and his story telling was dumb, not funny. The gross fat guy didn't make me laugh, it made me not want to look at the TV screen. Steve's little prophet thing was pretty dumb. I guess it was semi-funny when the crowd tried to find ways for God to still be a man after Steve said God was a woman. Hailey's random encounter with not-Al-Queda guy was stupid...just not funny. It was sort of something she'd obviously do. And Stan is just plain annoying. He acts all macho and ignores Francine and never changes. At least in Family Guy and The Simpsons, the stupid husbands sometimes care about their wives and sometimes change their ways. Stan is too superficial and 2-dimensional and static. Francine is okay, but she's not enough to make the show good. The fish should just die too, it has such a small part and has never said anything funny.

The concept of the move to Saudi Arabia was good, but the execution sucked, and the lines just came out as if the writers were trying too hard to make the show funny. Family Guy gets the weird funny, American dad passes that point and into weird wow-lets-change-the-channel-now-this-show-sucks.
  • This show is really actually a teaching show! Not a good way,b ut it exposes the truth about the government! Plus that alien be making my sides split 4 real! LOL. I don't really like the rebellious gurl! Especially when she slpet her dad's boss!

Not a good way,b ut it exposes the truth about the government! Plus that alien be making my sides split 4 real! LOL. I don't really like the rebellious gurl! Especially when she slpet her dad's boss! That made me so freaking made! She is something I'm not gon say!
  • More perfect episodes pile up in Season 2

As the Smiths continue to live in Saudi Arabia, Stan is fully enjoying the male-dominated society, while the rest of the family struggles with the different social norms. Meanwhile, Francine's musical exposé on gender roles gets her into trouble, and a brush with death leads the Smiths to return to the United States.

Read Full Recap
    (warning: possible spoilers!)

Last time, we were in Saudi Arabia. This time, we still are. Stan meditates a dispute between Francine and his new wife. Francine demands that Stan put them on a plane back to the States, but he reminds her that in Saudi Arabia, what the man says goes. Meanwhile, Hayley is cornered by the vice police, but a strange man intervenes and says he's escorting her to save her.

And out in the desert, Steve comes to after crashing his Mercedes into an oil derrick. Roger is delivered to his new husband, who is very wealthy. Seeing alcohol flowing freely, Roger no longer minds his servitude. Hayley is still hitting off with Kazi, who lets it slip that he's in Al Qaeda. She begs him not to blow up the American embassy, then passionately kisses him.

Back in Langley, Bullock gets a call from Francine asking him to give Stan his job back. Bullock informs her that he already made the offer, but Stan turned him down. Steve is wandering through the desert. He prays to God for help and God in the form of Angelina Jolie descends from the heavens. Roger is enjoying his plush life as a concubine when his new husband comes in, ready to consummate the relationship.

Elsewhere, Hayley and Kazi have already consummated theirs. In the bazaar, Francine confronts Stan about Bullock's offer. Stan says his word rules, so Francine breaks into a song about how awful Saudi Arabia is, stripping down into her underwear during the number. When she finishes, the moral police arrest her.

Stan visits Francine in jail, and when he learns that her cellmate has been in jail for 23 years for stealing an Almond Joy, agrees to go to the embassy to get help for Francine. Meanwhile, Roger is trying to avoid relations by telling his husband about the glorious epic that is Beverly Hills, 90210.

Out in the desert, God tells Steve to stop worrying about becoming a man and advises him to enjoy his childhood as long as possible. Hayley wakes up and finds a note from Kazi waiting for her. He's going through with his plan to attack the U.S. embassy. The same embassy that Stan just walked into. Hayley sprints over.

When she gets there, Hayley finds Kazi…working at a Shwarma King stand. Other girls laugh at her, saying Kazi tricks all American girls into thinking he's a terrorist. Inside, the consulate tells Stan he can get an American out of jail with no problem. He just needs to see Stan's passport. Problem is, he tore it up.

Steve returns from the desert and tells the townspeople he has spoken with God, and God gave him a perfect plan to create peace in the Middle East. The townspeople hail Steve as a visionary, until he mentions that God is a woman. They can't wrap their heads around this and decide to kill Steve.

At her trial, Francine is sentenced to death by stoning. Stan declares that he won't let Francine die alone, he's going to be stoned with her. At the stoning, Steve is put next to family for calling God a woman. And Hayley's there too. But before the audience can start chucking rocks, President Bush choppers in an declares that democracy has arrived. He throws an American flag through the judge and pulls the Smiths out of the ground. Except…that was all just a dream Stan had.

The throwers pick up their stones. But the judge gets a call ordering the Smiths released. It turns out, Roger had his husband make the call. The Smiths arrive back on American soil and Stan kisses the ground

10 out of 10

• what happens in saudi arabia, stays in saudi arabia

I did not like this nearly as much as part one. There were some parts I like, like Roger's final line, and Stan imagining him and the family were no longer in danger, but something felt off to me. It did not feel like it needed to be a 2-parter to me. It felt like it could have been a single episode, but that might just be me. Or maybe this could have been extended by like 10 minutes. I don't know, I can not put my finger on it, but it seems like it did not need to be an hour.
  • This was the episode that would take the training wheels off of American Dad.

This was the best American Dad episode so far. This show officially made me an American Dad fan. This show had all of the elements of a good show a good plot good character placement and everything. Best part (I think) is when they were thought to be save by Bush. This is a must see for anyone who watches American Dad. Roger also tells the story of 90210 which was pretty funny to me because the Saudi Arabian guy was so interested in the show. This show will set the bar for American Dad episodes to come. This episode is a must see to get the full effect.
  • Saudi Arabia declares war on the Smith Family!

Part Two picks up where Part One has left off. Stan burns the family's passport and staying in Saudi Arabia. what he will find out later he's making a big miskate. His wife who after a singing and dancing number was arrested by the Vice Cops. Towards the end of Part Two all of the Smith family's lives are in pearl. (Except the fish) A great ending of a Two part tale. Usually not that many animation series ever had a two-parter. "The Flintstones" never had a two-parter. At least shows like "American Dad" and "The Simpsons" usually had two-parters.
  • Part Two of Two

The second part of the episode doesn’t live up to the hilarity of the first part but it is still very funny, especially how each member of the Smith family got to where they were about to get stoned (Francine sung in public, Stan was homosexual, Steve’s epiphany of Angelina Jolie aka God and Hailey putting a Schwarma King guy in a coma after he pretended to be a terrorist so she would sleep with him.

Stan’s imagination that Bush would come to the rescue (as if we believed that for a minute) and the Saudi Arabians having mobiles was a terrific end to the episode, upon reaching American soil once again, Roger stating that what happens in Saudi Arabia stays in Saudi Arabia.

Overall this was a good conclusion to the two parter but not as good as the first part with much more humour.
  • In this part 2 episode from "Stan Of Arabia" some of the Smiths should their true side clear like Hayley being a Dirty Liberal Whore and Roger a gay only interested on the guy's penis in the end.

These 2 part episodes were hilarious!
    Like when Francine started singing illegally to at the end were Roger gets the guy's point when the guy pulled down his underware. To point another part when Steve could finally see Angelina Jolie's boobs but was an imagine that god used. I mean it was funny , still my fave show and hope it will be. Not as hilarious as Family guy , but this show is pretty damn hilarious.
  • The Stan of Arabia two-parter was easily the best couple of episodes this show has ever produced.

American Dad tends to be a hit-or-miss show: some episodes are excellent while others are rather weak. This is the former. With musical numbers and character development a-plenty, this two-parter is, at the moment, the climax of American Dad's greatness.

In Part 1, Stan fills in for Jay Leno at his boss's roast and ends up offending his boss, so Deputy Director Bullock sends him and his family to Saudi Arabia as part of a "promotion." At first, Stan refuses to sink in the culture of the Arabs, but when he learns that women are submissive to men, he renounces his US citizenship. However, the others are not too crazy about Saudi Arabia. Steve is at first, as he is considered a man and is able to buy a car, tons of grenades, and an uncut DVD of Angelina Jolie bearing it all, but when he gets stranded in the desert, he starts to think that maybe Saudi Arabia isn't so great. Roger, meanwhile, is going crazy over the lack of booze in the Middle East while Hayley is chased around by guards. Francine ends up in a cat fight with Stan's new second wife, Thundercat, much to Klaus's amusement.

In Part 2, Francine performs a musical number while half naked about why Saudi Arabia is the worst place in the world for a woman. Hayley has sex with some guy she thinks is a terrorist. Steve meets God and is able to come up with a peace plan for the Middle East, which the Arabs embrace at first but then turn down when Steve insists that God is a woman. Roger becomes one of the many wives of an Arab prince and starts telling him 1001 Tales of Hollywood to postpone their inevitable intercourse. In the end, however, the Smiths return to America, at which time Stan goes into a musical number about the problems with America, but concludes that it's not the worst place in the world.

These two episodes were hilarious and fun-filled. With the recent decline of quality in some of the best of television's cartoons, it's nice to know that American Dad is still there. Despite the amount of criticism it receives, American Dad is an excellent show and this two-parter is an example of that. No doubt that it's had bad episodes, but what show hasn't?
  • When writing your review, remember to keep the language clean so ill keep it cool but ti was warm not hot this episode

Well we continue in Saudi Arabia...where they made the whole experience "eh". Francine sings a stupid rebellious song, Steve becomes a moses, Hailey sleeps with liar guy, and Roger becomes a concubine slut and tell stories of fox's older shows witch is stupid for seth to do that . Potential to be funny but not enough but i do give it a ten for the sexyness and saying god's a woman
  • Noooooooooooo!!! Why? WHY!?

5.2
    ...I don't get it. Awesome show! Part 1 kicked, but why did they have to ruin it!? Is it not agreed that the ending was too rushed!? That's my thoughts anyway. Also, the musical numbers started to get annoying. Argh! Heh heh, I seriously cracked up with the George Bush thing. That was hilarious. Mmm...agreed that the 'suddenly by chance it so happened that Roger knew someone in power and he saved them at the last moment' thing kinda sucked. Please pick up next episode. This show is awesome...just not this episode.
  • Part One was okay, but this was horrible.

7.1
    Everything was okay, but then again, they just had to ruin the ending completely. The Bush part made it kinda funny, then you find out that he was just imagining it. and then they just randomly get bailed out? I mean come on thats just horrible. The ending was way too rushed. Otherwise the jokes were pretty okay, I didn't like the song that Fran did but I guess they thought it might be funny, especially to go along with the singing in part one. Hayley falling in love with the alqueda guy and then finding out that he's just a salesman was kinda funny. Overall, the show was funny and well done, but the ending was just a plain disappointment.
  • Take this show off the air already

I went from saying they were improving in Part I to the absolute worse television I have watched since the MTV Teen Choices Award (doesn't matter, every year was bad).

Let's see. We start with some sexist comments towards women. Then we have racist comments towards everyone who isn't American. Then we get to hear the words penis, vagina, clitoris, and the like coming out of Fran's mouth.

Top it all off with very disrespectful comments towards the USA (I am not even American).

What an absolute horrible Part II that went nowhere and had a bad ending. It was rushed and they used cheap jokes that 12 year olds would use.

Seth (or FOX), take this show off the air and just focus on Family Guy where you know what you're doing.

Good lord, absolute crap.
  • Very funny

I saw this episode and i have to say, WOW. If you didnt see Stan of Arabia, let me help.

Stan had done his boss roast and screwed up. Bullock decides to send Stan and his family to...... Saudia Arabia. After he got angry, he had to work at the pipeline. He figured out what the rules are and males are the rulers(sweet). When Steve, Francine, and Hayley went to see the negibors, steve found out their kid had GUNS(shooting ones). He decided to go there and get the dvd and anything but he needed money, so he sold Roger and brought nades, a car, some bling, and the dvd. After stan got a 2nd wife, francine was angry and was fighting Thundercat(lol). Steve watched the movie and crashed(lol as well). Hayley left burger king(wow) and was chased by the guards. End of part one

In part 2, He renounced his religion, steve talked to angela joilie, i mean god. He looked like her and asked to show her (you know what on women). Hayley thought stoned meant smoking, but it means getting hit by people. After roger went to the guys place, he saw booze(lol) After francine found out bullock asked stan to be part of the CIA again and declined, francine sang about Saudia Arabia. She ended her song and... the guards were angry. Then Steve went to the people and said he talked to god, he thought of ideas and said that God was a woman, they thought he was joking, then they decided to decline his ideas and kill him. There was a court and the lawyer said his name and then GUILTY! Francine was sentenced to death by stoning, stan tryed to help francine by asking to be stoned instead of her, but then the whole smith family was going to be stoned(expect Kalus and Roger). Stan dreamed that Bush saved them and democracy came to the country with beer, parties, and hot women. But then, they are going to get stoned and Roger saved them. So they went back to the USA and this is funny.

"Whatever happens in Saudia Arabia, stays in Saudia Arabia." said Roger

Sorry for spoiling it, but its funny.
  • Very funny

In part 2, He renounced his religion, steve talked to angela joilie, i mean god. He looked like her and asked to show her (you know what on women). Haylet thought stoned meant smoking, but it means getting hit by people. After roger went to the guys place, he saw booze(lol) After francine found out bullock asked stan to be part of the CIA again and declined, francine sang about Saudia Arabia. She ended her song and... the guards were angry. There was a court and the lawyer said his name and then GUILTY! Francine was sentenced to death by stoning, stan tryed to help francine by asking to be stoned instead of her, but then the whole smith family was going to be stoned(expect Kalus and Roger). Stan dreamed that Bush saved them and democracy came to the country with beer, parties, hot women. But then, they are going to get stoned and Roger saved them. So they went back to the USA and this is funny.

"Whatever happens in Saudia Arabia, stays in Saudia Arabia." said Roger

Sorry for spoiling it, but its funny.