American Dad!

The Boring Identity

Aired Sunday 9:30 PM Apr 21, 2013 on TBS

• bad to worse

its too mean spirited
  • More like, "The Boring Episode"

The very un-clever and contrived moment when Stan somehow went flying off a video game motorcycle and got amnesia (which in itself is overused and contrived) was the final self inflicting wound necessary for this episode to gag on its own blood.

I've long been a fan of the show and and its many over-the-top moments, but watching characters we're supposed to like violently and pointlessly murder innocent people only to keep Osama Bin Laden alive is just tacky. And dancing around a restaurant while stripping and wrecking havoc on the place is out of character even for Stan, especially when there's not even a motive behind it other than to attempt to prove the legitimacy of this, again, contrived plot.

And for someone who has a personal epiphany every other episode, Stan never lets us down by returning to the same old douche bag needed for, as in this case, a very uninspired story. And it all made Roger and Steve's subplot that much less engaging.

Dammit, Seth, you're bettere than this!
  • The Boring Identity

The amnesia storyline has been done to death, but the episode still had enough funny moments to make up for it. From the reaction of the co-workers to Stan on the racing game, to the use of "Takin' Care of Business" the episode just clicked.

This is what comedy is supposed to be. Not necessarily or always intelligent, but making you laugh.
  • Are you serious?

I realize that Seth MacFarlane has a pretty shallow idea pool, but I couldn't believe that this was yet another amnesia episode. As if seemingly every TV show in the history of television hadn't beat this concept into the ground already, I'm positive he's done this on Family Guy at least twice, and it's likely he's done it on The Cleveland Show before as well (although that's just assumption). How does he not realize the horse is long dead? I couldn't even finish the episode... the moment the doctor mentioned that Stan had developed amnesia, I turned it off. Apparently a decade of Family Guy has run Mr. MacFarlane's comedic well completely dry, as he has to return to this dreck over and over again. I've given his shows a lot of leeway, trying to watch them and see if they get any better, but after seeing him return to another yawn-inspiring amnesia episode, I think it might be time to let him go.

1/10, and I would rate it a 0 if I could.