American Dad!

The One That Got Away

Aired Monday 9:30 PM Oct 05, 2008 on TBS

• Poor

4.5

When Roger discovers that someone has maxed out his credit card, he is certain it is identify theft and is determined to bring down the crook. After playing "Matlock" for a few days and dishing out some street justice, he realizes things are not quite right and seem all too familiar

Overall, i didnt like this episode at all.

4.5 out of 10

• superb

Roger finds out someone has maxed his credit card and vows to make life hell for whoever did it. He later learns that the person responsible is one of his alter egos, who has taken on a life of its own. Will he be able to destroy his own life?

Good episode. The main plot really had me interested. Roger ending up killing Sidney at the end was really funny, as was pretty much everything in the main plot. The sub plot however brought only one laugh from me, and that was the end with Klaus, so this episode is not perfect. Still a really good episode however and I am still giving it a B+/A- as a grade.
  • Two Rogers?! This rocks!

One of American Dad's most interesting characters is Roger the Alien. I always love an episode focused on him, and this could possibly be one of my favourites. "The One that got away" is such a funny and eye appealing episode. The Characters fill the story and a new Personer of Roger's is finally lose! I've been waiting for an episode like this. I found the sub-story between Roger's Stuff was very very funny. I really liked how the character's eyes keeped getting wider and wider as they kept playing "Simon". My favourite part was when Cluas disappeared and then returned after killing some sort of Alien creature and says "I was gone for 60 years! How long was it here?"
  • A bit predictable

A good episode, but way below average. The Simon game was funny, and I liked how it was literally addictive. In the beginning of the episode I wondered where their sofa had gone, and then Stan said something about him moving it to the other side of the room, hilarious! The Roger identity-theft storyline was very predictable and not too funny, normally Roger is my favorite character in American Dad, but not this week, unfortunately. I was hoping for an intervention about Rogers drinking and a spin on that. The build up was ok, but it could have been so much better. too bad...

Kudos to Seth McFarlane and the rest of the writing staff, you have created another classic American Dad episode. Roger finds that someone has bought a diamond ring on his credit card, so he sets out to destroy that persons life. What he doesn't know is, that it's himself. This episode is undeniably focused on Roger, and it gets pretty adventurous, taking us to new territory without betraying the character. I really hope the rest of the fourth season is as amazing. There's also a subplot about an addictive hasbro game that sucks Stan, Francine, Hayley and Steve in, while Klaus tries to free them from it's grasp on their life.

IN the end, there should be more great episodes like this one.
  • Roger vs. Roger

Well, this episode was different than the usual ones. It mostly shows Roger seeking revenge on a guy who stole his credit card, but turns out to be one of his disguised personas!
    It was very well done how they developed the story from 2 different angles, first Roger than his alter ego.
    There were very funny moments too, like when Roger explained that he bought a 750 Dollar necklace to steal 10 Dollar gloves :-)

But I hope next time we see more of the family again. Stan is simply more funny than the rest, and he came a little short this week.
  • One of Roger's personas clashes with his real life.

While Family Guy may never return to the quality it once was, American Dad is continuing strong in its fourth season. Here we saw an instant classic in this Roger-centric episode where a personality he created Sidney started using his credit card. Roger got mad at Sidney (or maybe he was dyslexic and was mad at Disney) and tried to ruin his life. Eventually Sidney put a hit on Roger, and we saw an action-packed scene with the hitman holding Sidney's girlfriend Judy hostage.

While Family Guy relies on cutaway scenes, American Dad takes a good simple story and progresses it nicely, with some funny jokes along the way. It's crazy how one show from the same people can be less popular than the other, yet be so far superior.