American Dad!

The Scarlett Getter

Aired Sunday 9:30 PM Nov 27, 2011 on FOX

• One of the best ever episodes shown in the UK so far.

In my mind this episode ranks as one of the top 5 of American Dads to watch. The show may have been foucesed on Stan and Roger but Steve's side story is much more enjoyable to watch.

The shows writers seem to be exploreing new areas of which to make fun of, which in turn is allowing the other non-main characters to have there own mini episodes.

If you are a fan of Smith children then you would like this episode. You've got Steve in the locker room and Snot and Hayley in the bathroom, What more could you want.
  • Mediocre AD episode

When Stan runs into his former crush from CIA boot camp, his affection for her resurfaces, which drives Francine into a jealous frenzy. By including Roger in her plan for revenge, Francine accidentally leads him straight into the arms of a dangerous alien hunter. Meanwhile, Steve is struck with good luck, when he accidentally wears Hayley's panties to school. For American Dad standards this was a mediocre episode but it's not surprising that season 7 was a mixed bag. Anyway this is one of my least favorites for the show. I am not shocked that the show had dropped in second best Seth MacFarlance (season otherwise but still like it a little better than Family Guy) show. Since last year Family Guy's newer episodes had somehow become better than American Dad and it's still doing today. Anyway, I finally got a chance to see this episode since I missed it for almost a year (my cable was out at the time). Episode wise... Stan's plot was really weak and I barely laughed at all in that plot. Also, Stan and Roger were annoying here; Stan was kind of Peter Griffin here and same for Roger expect that he was a jerk here. I only laughed like a couple times and I'd give myself a 2 of the plot. The subplot was funnier...Steve having a lucky day because he grabbed Hayley's panties was very funny. Snot stealing it and then Hayley beat him was very funny as well. There are at least three more parts that was funny like Klaus trying to win the lottery, Stan pretending Shannen Sharpe killed himself and then the movie director arrived. Overall this was a mediocre episode of American Dad. 5/10
  • very good

it was a fun episode but wished they finally tell or show what rogers homeplanet looks like good episode
  • The Scarlett Getter

American Dad picks the most seemingly abstract names for guest appearances, real voice or not, but they do it so well like they did here with Shannon Sharpe. The old flame showing up is usually boring, but Stan's giddy inability to speak was so over the top that it worked. Solid, but not great, episode of AD today.
  • HO DO YOU WATCH IT

HOW DO YOU WATCH IT
  • perfect

what i liked- "I'm not taking these off, Snot" "That's not what I asked you to do", the revelation Scarlet was an alien hunter, the ending to the episode, Stan and Francine racing to put Roger back together, Haley attacking Snot to get her 'lucky' panties back, the dodgeball scene, amongat other things.

good episode. the only main complaint is i saw the twist of Scarlet being an alien hunter pretty much right away. I remember in the earlier episodes, watching an episode with a twist and being surprised. this twist did not surprise me and i found it to be predictable, to be honest. but the episode was really funny as awhole so i can excuse this. A+

• This episode wasn't very good

5.5

When Stan runs into his former crush from CIA boot camp, his affection for her resurfaces, which drives Francine into a jealous frenzy. By including Roger in her plan for revenge, Francine accidentally leads him straight into the arms of a dangerous alien hunter. Meanwhile, Steve is struck with good luck, when he accidentally wears Hayley's panties to school. This season of "American Dad" really hasn't been so fantastic so far. The only awesome episode was the season opener "Hot Water". The rest of the episode are either just good, okay, or just terrible. This episode was just mediocre. I didn't laugh a whole lot. My brother DrAwesome28 watched this episode with me and he predicted every single thing on what's going to happen on this episode and he got every single part right. I'm not kidding, he actually predicted every single thing from Stan faking his story about that red-head woman and him having sex to the Stan seeing the red-head woman and saying that she was from boot camp and much much more. The only parts I did laugh at was Steve wearing Haley's panties, the boys smacking Steve's butt in the locker room (although, that is a bit gay if you ask me), Klaus playing the lottery ticket, Haley beating up Snot for stealing her panty, and the very ending with that guy saying "It's Movie Time" and then the guy says "Yay!". The storyline to Stan and that red-head woman wasn't very good and really really lacked. I really hope this season of "American Dad" improves because it is not looking very good so far. Overall, a mediocre episode of "American Dad"... on the positive side, it's NOT the worst of the season. 5.5/10

• Let's talk about all the ingredients that got into making a great American Dad episode.

Solid guest stars, use each of the main characters, keep the laughs coming.This isprobably my favorite since I started watching the show. Because it doesall of those things.

In the main plot, the CIA hires an alien bounty hunter to capture the rogue alien, and Stan finds that his former massive crush from CIA boot camp is in town. He tries to drop everything in order to rekindle his old crush, which turns Stan into the gibbering fool that he's perhaps best when he's doing. Francine can't help but notice, so she gets righteously angry, another excellent realm for that character. She recruits Roger to get into the character of Dan Handsome, who will sweep Stan's old crush Scarlett of her feet. So we get in-character, sexual Roger, who is directly competing with Stan, another premise filled with excellence.

Perhaps the most surprising thing about "The Scarlett Getter" is that the big guest star, Shannon Sharpe, fit in perfectly. There was an initial awkward "The football guy Shannon Sharpe???" which turned into a horrific pun joke, but overall, the extroverted Sharpe made perfect sense for a ridiculous alien bounty hunter, and made it work.

The B-plot brought in the other main characters. Steve accidentally puts on a pair of Hayley's underwear that, alongside Klaus, he determines gives him good luck throughout the day. This works well for Steve until Snot steals it. Hayley, in her best moment of the series, explains the power of the placebo effect to Steve using a Smurfs reference...and then goes to beat the s*** out of Snot and take her lucky underwear back.

Part of the reason that American Dad worked so well tonight was that it used a variety of different styles of humor. Shannon Sharpe's pun hit on awkward humor and the response to awkward humor. Of course there was the typical clever lines. Or there was the repetitive weirdness of Francine's creative writing class, like a hot summer sidewalk. I don't recall any cutaways, but there was certainly shock humor, with Sharpe getting shot, and Roger already having been dissected. The last led into the weirdest joke of the night, an extended montage to "Yakkity Sax" of Stan and Francine trying to fit Roger's viscera back in his body properly. This was the kind of joke that Family Guy tries to do all the time, but American Dad really pulled it off, succeeding both with the shock joke of the guts to "wacky" music, and working as an homage to the form.

One of the weird things about discussion American Dad right now is that the production and airing orders are so hopelessly confused that it's difficult to tell if American Dad is on a hot streak or if it's just getting lucky. The presence of Hayley, but not Jeff, in this episode seems to imply that it's from before the wedding at the start of Season 6, so perhaps this episode was produced two years ago, and last week's also-great episode was produced two months ago. Or vice versa. So I'd love to sit here and say "American Dad is fantastic this season!" but it's possibly that Fox is just burning off episodes it thinks aren't any good...which would be ridiculous, because yeah, whatever the production order of these, American Dad is really good right now.

• Great

A very good episode, while Steve's plot is better than Stan's

8/10