American Dragon: Jake Long

Dragon Breath

Aired Daily 2:30 AM Jan 22, 2005 on Disney Channel

• A bad time for bad breath

Jake's fire breathing glands start maturing but that also equals really bad breath. Which is bad timing to ask a girl out to a dance. So Fu helps Jake out by created a breath mint pendant and finding him a date in the magical community. Jake unwittingly picks a nix who later sucks all the souls of all the dance attendees. Jake then must defeat the nix in a near powerless state after he drinks a potion Fu prepared to render the nix powerless. Jake then uses his horrendous breath to his advantage and knocks out the nix who then releases everyone's souls although there's a mix up with Trixie and Spud's.
  • jake tries to ask rose to the school dance but she is already going with brad. so jake brings a soul sucking nix to the dance.........

jake tries to ask rose to the school dance but she is already going with brad. so jake brings a soul sucking nix to the dance we can only see how that going to go. Jake's fire glands in his mouth are maturing so the all around bad breath train landed in his station woot woot! During this ep. jake and rose begin to develup stronger feelings for each other ( rose: "maybe next time we'll come with better people" ) the one thing that i wonder is how did spud and trxie getback to their own bodies when the soals returned from the nix?
  • Good mix of fantasy-action and angst.

When he misses the opportunity to ask Rose to an upcoming dance, Jake is shocked to learn that a severe case of dragon-breath (brought on as his fire-breathing glands mature) is killing his chances with other girls. Enter Fu, who not only whips together a pendant to hold the breath at bay, but sneaks Jake into this world's version of Diagon Alley to find a date from the mystical realm. After a few shocking attempts, Jake meets a beautiful girl named Jasmine and she hesitantly agrees to go.

What Jake doesn't know is that Jasmine is a Nix; a creature that's beautiful by day, but a soul-sucking monster in the moonlight. So they go to the dance and, of course, things go bad.

This was a nice episode, definitely an improvement over the last (production order). The dragon-breath was milked for some clever teen angst that was supported by wonderfully sharp humor. The plot was nicely structured, some fun new elements of the magical world were added, and (finally!!) the action didn't feel like it was choreographed by a third grader.

And I'm a fan of characters with a little depth, so imagine my joy when I learned that Jasmine wasn't entirely evil. In fact, she tried several times to leave the dance early, afraid of what would happen when the moon appeared. I hope she'll return one day.

Speaking of return appearances, I'd love to see the Oracle twins again. We only got a glimpse of them here, but they have a great dynamic (perky Sarah sees bad futures and downer Kara sees good futures) and would make nice additions to the supporting cast. They'd be a heck of a lot more fun than Trixy and Spud. Seriously, I'm only on the third episode (production order) and I'm already tired of these two.

Anyhow, good episode. Enjoy.
  • Jake gets bad breath and goes to a dance with a pretty girl named Jasmine. Then he finds out shes an knix and she sucks up everyones sole.

Dragon Breath was a great episode for season one. Before Jake knows the truth about Rose being huntsgirl and before Rose knows that Jake is the American dragon. It is a great episode because Jake gets to dance with the prettiest girl in the room. Which was Rose, of coarse. Brad was a jerk in this episode leaving rose for knix girl, who sucked everyones sole away and Jake tried to do it to Jake and everyone else. In the end when they all get there soles back trixi is in Spuds body and vise versa which was a funny thing.
  • this is one of the best episodes ever!

The episode starts off as Jake, Grandpa and Fu Dog are looking for a magical creature terrorizing the creatures. Jake goes down to the sewers and fights the monsters, but so far Jake loses but when he throws fire at the creature she leaves running.

Later at school, everyone gets away from Jake for his bad breathe, he tries to ask some girls out on a date but they all leave disgusted from the bad breath. When he goes to Grandpas shop and tells him about the bad breath and Grandpa tells him that he is maturing and it should be gone in about 3 weeks, Grandpa leaves and Fu Dog pulls Jake away and makes him a potion that makes it so that his breath doesn't smell anymore.

Fu Dog later takes him to the mythical world to find a date, Fu Dog shows him a couple of girls but Jake finds one that is really pretty. He asks her if she wants to go the dance with him and she says yes but he has to bring her at an exact time. At night in the dance everyone is amazed with the girl that Jake brought. Rose gets lonely because her date said that he just wanted to go out on a date with the prettiest girl in school. Jake comforts her and they start dancing. But what Jake doesn't notice is that he forgot about the time and the girl he brought to a date turned into a soul sucking Nix. Jake goes under the table to talk to Fu Dog and Fu Dog tells him about the Nix but it is too late because she just sucked the living souls out of everyone.

Fu Dog comes with Grandpa and gives Jake the potion which he drinks but he wasn't suppose to drink it, Fu Dog tells him that it was for the Nix. Now Jake is powerless. He takes out the potion and now his breathe stinks again and the Nix gets powerless and gives all the souls back. He then leaves, but Rose tells him that maybe next time they will make better choices on picking their dates they smile at each other and Jake leaves but falls down the stairs.

In the Mythical World, he takes the girl back home, she apologizes and Jake says it is okay. The episode ends on that.

man this episode is great!!
  • First real Jake/Rose episode of the series!

Jake has a school dance coming up, but when he wants to ask his crush Rose, he finds out that his nemesis Brad has already asked her,and, she said yes. Jake is sad after he hears this, but then he thinks there is only one thing to do, find a hot date. Jake tries to ask girls out, but everytime he does, he seems to have bad breath. So, he goes to Lao Shi's shop and he gives him a necklace and prevents dragon breath. He puts it on, then goes to the magical world where he finds a hot date named Jasmine. What he doesn't know is she is actually a dangerous magical creature known as a Nix. The Nix eats souls! At the dance Jake dances with Jasmine, but when Brad sees her he dumps Rose and takes Jasmine. Rose is sad, but Jake knows he likes her more. As for the Nix, things get out of hand, she changes into a soul eater and Jake ends up fighting her off with dragon breath. Overall, this episode was superb 9.6.
  • jake gets bad breath

i loved this episode!! jake was just so halirous in it! it was funny to see him try to ask all thoes girl out, he tryed to sound so cool and his breath would scare them away. ha ha ha they shut down the school too! i liked the twins we meet in this one and i also liked jakes date. theres not much more to say. this was a good episode.
  • The 1st episode I saw (the 3rd episode aired in Italy).

"Dragon Breath", in my opinion, was a very nice episode. Jake must deal with his nauseating breath...

The American Dragon wants to invite Rose to the school dance, but Brad came first. In order to win Rose's affection, Jake (with Fu Dog's help) invites an "hottie" at the school dance, who's actually a Nix, a terrible magical monster. Fortunately, Jake will defeat the Nix with his breath!

The 1st episode I saw, (the 3rd episode aired in Italy) and it was very very good in my opinion...
  • This episode just wasn't my taste.

This episode isn't one of my favorites. I found it kind of boring. Now, I did like the end and how his date turned out to be a monster, because that was a good plot twist. And I also liked the end when Jake and Rose were talking. But this episode just didn't cut it for me.
  • Immature humor makes for a good episode!

As I have stated before, I enjoy the immature humor that is part of this show. This particular episode is based around the immature humor! The plot line is simple. Jake, who is a growing dragon, is having his fire-breathing glands kicking in. As a result, he has a severe case of bad breath at the same time as the dance! I also enjoy the connection to real life. The whole "maturing glands" thing is very similar to when boys mature, yes? Anyway, this is one of my favorite episodes of the series. Jake's bad breath and wannabe hip lingo makes for a very funny episode!