American Dragon: Jake Long Forums

Disney Channel (ended 2007)

Can Jake's mom turn into a dragon?

Serious

[1]Aug 10, 2006
    • level: 7

I've been trying to see if she can. Unfortunately I got into the cartoon late and its not shown in an particular order now. I've seen some episode more than others. But I have yet to see if the mom can change into a dragon. And if she does what does she look like?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

AmDrag

[2]Aug 10, 2006
    • level: 7
    No...

bubblygirl

[3]Aug 10, 2006
    • level: 10
    The gene skipped a generation.

lightningbugx

[4]Aug 10, 2006
    • level: 3
    That is a mystery.  It is said and understood that she was skipped. 

Although, it could be that her dragon blood was too weak to mature, thus making it seem that she was a full human although raised by dragons.  If there was something that amplified or boosted dragon powers, it might give her dragon blood enough power just to experience being a dragon for once in her life.

bubblygirl

[5]Aug 10, 2006
    • level: 10
    Yeah.

cool_chick92

[6]Aug 10, 2006
    • level: 5
    [This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
    Edited on 08/10/2006 9:32pm

Fortecross

[7]Aug 10, 2006
    • level: 14

cool_chick92 wrote:
    No stupid, it said in the first episode that the dragon gene skipped her . DUH

Dude you dont have to be mean about it. -_-

lightningbugx

[8]Aug 10, 2006

cool_chick92 wrote:

Someone here does not know anything about genetics.  If Jake's mom does NOT have the gene, neither will Jake or Haley would also.  Jake's Mom has to have the gene in order to pass it along.  Everything that is Jake comes from only his mother and father and no one else.

dancingbeatle

[9]Aug 10, 2006
    • level: 45
    I could be wrong about this, but I thought I saw her turning into a dragon during a commerical.

HannahMontana93

[10]Aug 10, 2006
    • level: 6
    for what epi?

lightningbugx

[11]Aug 11, 2006

dancingbeatle wrote:
    I could be wrong about this, but I thought I saw her turning into a dragon during a commerical.

What was the color of the dragon form if you can remember?  It could have been Sun Park.

NebulaDragon

[12]Aug 11, 2006

lightningbugx wrote:
    cool_chick92 wrote:

Someone here does not know anything about genetics.  If Jake's mom does NOT have the gene, neither will Jake or Haley would also.  Jake's Mom has to have the gene in order to pass it along.  Everything that is Jake comes from only his mother and father and no one else.

It's a cartoon first of all. Genes can skip if they want to, but here's somehting interesting to consider if you want to get technical.

1. Ok it skipped a generation, but for an obvious reason. Jake wouldn't be much of a protector is his Mom were already doing it.

2. If the reason she couldn't turn into a dragon wasn't because of a gene skipping, maybe it's a as simple as she's underdeveloped (I think someone already said that)

Back to genetics though. Think of the dragon powers as a recessive gene. (I used hemophillia as a template.)

Females possess two X-chromosomes, whereas males have one X and one Y chromosome. Since the mutations causing the power are recessive, a woman carrying the power on one of her X-chromosomes may not be affected by it, as the equivalent allele on her other chromosome should express itself to produce the necessary dragon powers. However the Y-chromosome in men has no gene for factors for dragon powers. If the genes responsible for production of dragon powers is not present on a male's X-chromosome(Jake) is there is no equivalent on the Y-chromosome, so the deficient gene is not masked by the dominant allele and he will develop the powers.

Since a male receives his single X-chromosome from his mother, the son of a healthy female silently carrying the dragon gene will have a 50% chance of inheriting that gene from her and with it the power; and if his mother is affected with dragon powers, he will have a 100% chance of being with dragon powers. In contrast, for a female to inherit the disease, she must receive two dragon X-chromosomes, one from her mother and the other from her father (who must therefore be a dragon himself).  So, there's something to think about if the genetis are real. They probably aren't seeing as Jake's Dad isn't a dragon...or is he? If he is, that would explain why Haley would have dragon powers too if the genetics are real. They probably aren't, but that would make for an interesting plot device.

Also, seeing as I used hemophillia as a template some things may be off, but that gives you a basic idea. You can dismiss this whole thing with magic, but that's no fun.

The reason I had this example handy is bvecause I have this story with a half-dragon as a main character, and I actually started it before American Dragon, so that's why I was being kind of a jerk to the Amdrag back on tvtome and all. I'm over it, and the story is coming along, so it's all good.

Edited on 08/11/2006 9:39am

lightningbugx

[13]Aug 11, 2006

NebulaDragon wrote:

It's a cartoon first of all. Genes can skip if they want to, but here's somehting interesting to consider if you want to get technical.

1. Ok it skipped a generation, but for an obvious reason. Jake wouldn't be much of a protector is his Mom were already doing it.

2. If the reason she couldn't turn into a dragon wasn't because of a gene skipping, maybe it's a as simple as she's underdeveloped (I think someone already said that)

Back to genetics though. Think of the dragon powers as a recessive gene. (I used hemophillia as a template.)

Yes, it is a cartoon, so the laws of physics can be thrown away.

Item #2, I said it.

As far as genetics, I say we leave it alone as the specifics do not matter.  Somehow, Jake's mom was skipped.  It happens every now and then that one dragon child is skipped.  But, that child still has the genes for it, just does not mature.

NebulaDragon

[14]Aug 11, 2006

I like the Jake's dad secretly being a dragon though. If you don't ignore the genetics part, that would explain how Hayley could be a dragon too.

Taralen

[15]Aug 11, 2006
    In science class we learned about genes.
    Jake's mom seemed to have a skipped gene. Which SUCKS.
    I skipped a gene in my blood. I would have had droopy eyes. But for some reason I got a mix of asian eyes and irish eyes! WTF?! How did this happen!
    Oh well, point taken.

atecom01

[16]Aug 12, 2006
    • level: 15
    Genes don't actually skip you, there are what are known as dominant and recessive genes. If you posess 2 Dominant genes, for a certain thing (Like skin colour) It will remain the dominant colour (black). If you posess a dominant and recessive gene, your skin will remain the dominant colour. If you posess 2 recessive genes, your skin can be white. So If your mum and Dad are black, bacause they have 1 dominant and 1 recessive gene, and they both pass the recessive gene to you, you will turn out white. 

macfan121

[17]Aug 12, 2006
    • level: 15
    Im a wee bit late but no  skipped a generation...

creamxtails12

[18]Aug 12, 2006
    • level: 1

atecom01 wrote:
    Genes don't actually skip you, there are what are known as dominant and recessive genes. If you posess 2 Dominant genes, for a certain thing (Like skin colour) It will remain the dominant colour (black). If you posess a dominant and recessive gene, your skin will remain the dominant colour. If you posess 2 recessive genes, your skin can be white. So If your mum and Dad are black, bacause they have 1 dominant and 1 recessive gene, and they both pass the recessive gene to you, you will turn out white. 

uhm... not to offend you at all, but since they both have 1 dominant gene and 1 recessive, that means 2 dominate genes and two recessive genes, and the dominate would most likely pass on, the offspring would be black.

but i get ur point, and Jake and Hailey would both se able to turn into dragons, as long as Gramps or someone else on jake's mom's side of the fam has a 'dragon gene' (i don't kno wat to call it!!!!

lightningbugx

[19]Aug 12, 2006

creamxtails12 wrote:

as long as Gramps or someone else on jake's mom's side of the fam has a 'dragon gene' (i don't kno wat to call it!!!!)

If Jake's mom (or dad) does not have the necessary genes, then Jake nor Haley can't be dragons.  Although, magical creatures would have different chromosome structure.  Jake's mom may have the extra chromosomes for dragons but for some reason those chromosomes were not utilized.  I fully doubt dragons have equal DNA structure to humans.

dancingbeatle

[20]Aug 12, 2006
    • level: 45
    As someone had mention before the dragon I had seen in the commerical could have been Sun Park. However, I've only seen it once so my memory is a little blurry. Unless I'm wrong, which is a possibly the color was either purple, blue, or pink.