American Dragon: Jake Long Forums

Disney Channel (ended 2007)

Why is the outer edge of his hair green?

melonhead37

[1]Dec 21, 2005
    • level: 16
    I know, once again, I may sound stupid for saying this.....but seriously.....he should color his hair better.........or maybe just wear a cap or leave it the way it was.....every time I see a picture or something...it bugs me..........
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

atecom01

[2]Dec 21, 2005
    • level: 15
    What colour do you want it to be?

melonhead37

[3]Dec 21, 2005
    atecom01 wrote:
    What colour do you want it to be?

obviously...we want it to be blue..DUH!

roselicious

[4]Dec 21, 2005
    • level: 10
    we?

melonhead37

[5]Dec 21, 2005
    roselicious wrote:
    we?

my cousin......and I....we both feel the same way...

chocolatechamp

[6]Dec 22, 2005
    • level: 6
    You have agood point i have been wondering about that for probaly as long as you.

roselicious

[7]Dec 22, 2005
    his hair is green because its an animated show and everything doesnt have to be like it would in real life

chocolatechamp

[8]Dec 22, 2005
    roselicious wrote:
    his hair is green because its an animated show and everything doesnt have to be like it would in real life

just because it's animated doesn't mean his hair has to have a green outline............sista

atecom01

[9]Dec 22, 2005
    That was never implied

jag111888

[10]Dec 22, 2005
    • level: 18
    Jake dyed his hair at some point and it grew a little. Or he dyed the ends of his hair to get that.

roselicious

[11]Dec 22, 2005
    chocolatechamp wrote:
    roselicious wrote:

just because it's animated doesn't mean his hair has to have a green outline............sista
    i didnt say it did, homeskillet.
    what i meant was that if we took all animated shows and made them like real life exactly, then ther'd be no use for cartoons. so since its a cartoon and anything can be made possible then why not make it green.

Taralen

[12]Dec 22, 2005
    Do you guys really wanna know why it's green? Here's the answer:
    Jake did NOT dye his hair that color. I discovered this the very first time my sister asked me this exact same question. The reason why it's green is because it's the color of his back scales. Take Haley as another example,she has blue outlines on her hair. When she turns into her dragon form,she has blue scales lining her back all the way to the tip of her tail. Just like Jake's green scales

However,this is not for all dragons. Take Lao Shi as an example,he doesn't have a scaling outline on his hair. He is another type of dragon called an Asian Lung,AKA,Draco orientalis. Jake and Haley are European type,AKA,Draco occ. magnus.

But,many other dragons in the series are Drago occ. magnus. This may also be the cause of a genetic gene. Maybe a recessive allele that just so happens to be in Jake and Haley's DNA system.

That concludes the answer to your question.

atecom01

[13]Dec 22, 2005
    Not exactly true, I would like to draw yourt attention to this copied word for word from FAQs on Jeffnet:
    Why does Jake have wings? (aka: Why does Grandpa look like an Eastern Dragon and Jake look like a Western Dragon?)

Dragons are natural shapeshifters. Their "dragon form" is just one of the many possible shapes they can assume with practice and willpower. As such, a Dragon's appearance is really more a matter of self-expression than genealogy. (Just because your grandfather was a blue dragon, doesn't mean you will be one, too.) Often, Dragons are influenced by their local cultural images of dragons. And some Dragons change their appearance over time as they adapt to changes in life.

Jake's Grandpa is an older dragon (much older than he looks) and, let's face it, a lot more old-fashioned. His dragon form reflects an admiration for the customs and traditions of the ancient Dragons of China.

Jake, on the other hand, is an American kid, so his character is influenced by both the Eastern and Western conception of Dragons. His physical appearance leans toward the European model because that's what the bulk of our (American) cultural references are based on. (i.e. What percentage of American-made movie dragons have wings and breathe fire?)

Dragons don't actually need wings to fly. But we felt that, on average, a lot of American kids would want to have wings. That was the fun of designing Jake: To ask yourself, "If I was a kid from New York, and I could turn into a Dragon, what would I want to look like?"

I hope a lot of our viewers will ask themselves the same thing: If your town had a powerful magical guardian to watch over it... What do you think you would look like?

Bizkit2005

[14]Dec 23, 2005
    • level: 4
    Taralen wrote:
    Jake did NOT dye his hair that color. I discovered this the very first time my sister asked me this exact same question. The reason why it's green is because it's the color of his back scales. Take Haley as another example,she has blue outlines on her hair. When she turns into her dragon form,she has blue scales lining her back all the way to the tip of her tail. Just like Jake's green scales

However,this is not for all dragons. Take Lao Shi as an example,he doesn't have a scaling outline on his hair. He is another type of dragon called an Asian Lung,AKA,Draco orientalis. Jake and Haley are European type,AKA,Draco occ. magnus.

But,many other dragons in the series are Drago occ. magnus. This may also be the cause of a genetic gene. Maybe a recessive allele that just so happens to be in Jake and Haley's DNA system.

You're kind of right. Here is a direct quote from the summary of Episode 1. "The clothes a dragon wears in human form represent their dragon color: Jake wears red, Haley wears purple, and their Grandpa wears blue." One would assume that the same goes for their hair as well. What you said is the opposite of this. Jake's scales are green because his hair is green. As for the reason WHY some of his hair is green, only the creators know. I, for one, agree in saying that it is because he dyed the tips of his hair green. That would seem to be the most logical reason.

roselicious

[15]Dec 23, 2005
    Taralen wrote:

Haley has purple scales and hair

roselicious

[16]Dec 23, 2005
    [This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]

ADJLISMINE

[17]Dec 23, 2005
    Well, about Jake's hair being dyed, we see in Act 4 Scene 15 we see young Jake when he was like 5 or 6 and kissing his dog he had green outlines. I don't think his parents would let him dye his hair at that age, so I guess he was just born with a gene for green hair outlines.

jazzy_90210

[18]Dec 23, 2005
    • level: 3
    thank you

jag111888

[19]Dec 23, 2005
    • level: 18
    ADJLISMINE wrote:
    Well, about Jake's hair being dyed, we see in Act 4 Scene 15 we see young Jake when he was like 5 or 6 and kissing his dog he had green outlines. I don't think his parents would let him dye his hair at that age, so I guess he was just born with a gene for green hair outlines.

If you hair color naturally changes, it does it over a period of time, not seconds.

DigiDrag7

[20]Dec 23, 2005
    • level: 5
    [This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]