American Dreams

NBC (ended 2005)

American Dreams Fan Reviews (65)

• A True American Gem

I started watching American Dreams a decade after it first aired because I was truly intrigued by the early work of Brittany Snow, Vanessa Lengies, and Will Estes. I have to say that I was truly amazed by the storylines and how genuine the show was. From what I read some of the events or music weren't exactly corresponding to the timeline but the historical events took second to the ups and downs of the Pryor family.

I was happy when Meg got into Bandstand and crossed my fingers every time JJ had to catch a football in his games. I rolled my eyes but smiled at Patty's intelligence and was always happy to see Will happy. I especially enjoyed watching Helen and Jack trying to manage four children in the '60s with the help of friends and Pete, Jack's younger brother.

It was so interesting to see both the white, Catholic family in the '60s along with the storyline of the Walkers, the African American family who struggled and succeeded with the Pryors. I loved it when Sam got into Penn, he so deserved it!

As the seasons progressed I bit my fingernails when JJ was in Vietnam and cringed every time Meg got in trouble. I was happy when Helen got a job working at the travel agency and when Will had his surgery and it worked.

All in all, this was a great show and a great piece of American television. I wish there were more shows like this now, ten years later.
  • One of my all time favorite shows, and in many ways it died way too soon (although it did get three seasons) It was a true family drama that any person of any age could watch and enjoy.

American Dreams was a one of a kind experience. I was never really into tv gimmicks, and initially I was very wary because of the whole 1960's thing, but actually it worked very well for the stories it wanted to tell. It tackled serious issues like civil rights and political movements, in a family who was right in the middle. The relationships between the character like Henry and Mr.Prior and Meg and Sam exemplify this best. But besides that, it is the intrigue of each character that really carry this show along. JJ with his senior year of highschool then military, and Meg's movement from another self-centered individual who sees a greater purpose in life. Young Will with his polio. All in all, this developed a true family experience, and a one of a kind show that should not be missed by anyone. It weakened slightly in the third season, but not significantly, and then finally was pulled for low ratings, but I would like to thank NBC for giving this great show three seasons despite its less than steller ratings.
  • This is how TV should be.

As the title tells us, American Dreams is about the good ole days. Think black-and-white TV, record players, phones with cords, plaid skirts. Oh, how I wish I could of grown up in the sixties. In actuality, it's the simplicity and realness of the show that makes it so easy to enjoy. You can imagine that the Pryors are your next-door neighbors, a dysfunctional but lovable family, complete with football star JJ, dancer/music-lover Meg, know-it-all Patty, the adorable but Polio-stricken Will, power freak father Jack, and sweet, compassionate mother Helen. It is incredibly difficult not to love all of them. This is the kind of thing we need to see more of on TV.
  • A wonderful little show, cancelled before it should have been.

I remember seeing the previews for "American Dreams" and instantly being intrigued; I've always been a fan of shows about historical events, and the setting just seemed interesting to me. I'd never seen a TV show that focused on the 1960s and the turmoil that people went through at the time.

The show delivered wonderfully. Focusing on the Pryor family, it began with the assassination of President Kennedy and showed the reactions of everyone in the family--from the WWII vet father, Jack, to the youngest child, Will. Confusion, fear, anger, the family went through it all. The characters were fleshed out and took on meaning within just a few episodes--Helen was a caring mother conflicted by the troubles in the world, JJ the star football player, Meg the girl who starred in American Bandstand and talked boys with her best friend Roxanne, smart Patty and adorable Will. They may sound one-dimensional, but as the show went on, they really came to life.

My favorite storyline from the show was JJ joining the USMC and his deployment to Vietnam, it certainly wasn't original, as almost everyone guessed that would happen when the show first came on the air, but it was still effective. One of the scenes that still sticks out in my mind is when JJ leaves for Vietnam early in the morning, his mother is out getting milk and when she comes inside he's in uniform, ready to go. There's a thick feeling of awkwardness, and I got a feeling of nausea, just like I did the day I left for a deployment back in 2005 (getting up early in the morning still makes me ill, just like I felt the day I left). The reactions from JJ's family were realistic, and the episode where it's discovered that JJ is MIA and most likely not coming home is heartbreaking. The show also dealt with JJ's return home very well, without butchering his character, but still showing us a deeply troubled young man.

As in any show, it did have it's downs: I never liked the character of Beth, and thought she was incredibly unsupportive and inconsiderate to JJ while he was gone. It also got a bit too preachy when it came to the Civil Rights movement sometimes, while most of the time it handled it nicely. And I wasn't a fan of the bandstand theme, just seemed too "out there" for me, as MOST 15-year-old girls in the '60s didn't dance on national TV.

Overall, this show was a gem amongst many, unoriginal, dull shows (Law & Order, CSI, Crossing Jordan, etc.), and NBC shouldn't have cancelled it so early. It's a shame that the entire three seasons haven't been released on DVD, I would sure buy them!
  • There are no words to describe how good this show was. I wish it could have gone on forever.

This show would have to be one of the best series i have seen in my life. When i watch this it is like i am there. I get totally emersed in the 60s - the fashion, the music, the events - it is like you are really there. It is like you are a part of the pryor family. It is so crazy how a tv show can do this to you. I am totally in love with JJ and was on the edge of my seat to see what would happen with JJ and Beth. What a gorgeous couple. I was so happy when they got married. Why cant i meet a guy like JJ. I am in australia and they completely butchered it over here. I missed so many episodes and then they changed the name. I was DEVASTATED when they stopped making it. With all the crap that is on tv today and they take a fantastic, innovative, addictive show like this off air because it didnt get the ratings. I know anyone else who was a fan will know what i am talking about.

cathy
  • An absolute wonderful show!!! It broke my heart when it was taken off air.

American Dreams was such a blast to the past in a middle class family. It really gave you insight into what life was like back then. I especially love how they have a charcter that could conect with almost all ages and relate to everyone. It reminded me of " 7th Heaven" but with a timewarp and a little more sin. I also think that this show wasn't as popular as it should of been.It truely broke my heart when it was taken off the air. I think they should bring it back and give the show another shot to make a bigger impression on the public. I definetly rate this show a 10!
  • Americana at the point in time when Americana was going just a little out of whack.

I couldn't believe how at home I felt with the family in this show. In a few ways it reminded me of my own family. I remember being a Catholic girl in the late 60s (granted, I was born in 1964) and witnessing some of, if not the events, some of the emotions that were happening at this time.

I found it a stroke of genius to center the show on one of the greatest music shows of all time, "American Bandstand". Since music is a huge touchstone for a lot of people, myself included, it adds to the nostalgia in a whole different level.

I loved how they had stars of today portraying the stars of yesteryear. It gave a few artists a chance to stretch their musical chops, and to play with acting (and, of course, vice versa for the actors who portrayed musicians).

Best friends Meg and Roxanne reminded me of me and my best friend growing up: I was the good little Catholic girl, and Michelle was the wild & worldly one. Of course, Meg was braver than I'll ever be, but the resemblence was still there.

I loved this show, and miss it.
  • simply great

i love this show,i adore the time in which its set. I wish this show would come back because so many things about were simply wonderful. The music, the lifestyle, the family, the political age, and most of all...THE DANCE! who else dances like that nowadays. there should have be some sort of dance step lesson before every show. I do wish for this show to come back and take another spin. Maybe set in the nineties...
    So many things about the show are lovable and keep the characters in-tune. However, i wouldn't consider this a show I'll remember 50 years from now, but it was good at the time. :D
  • A beautiful show that should have never been taken off the air. A story of a family living in the most fascinating decade, the 60s.

This show that only lasted three seasons, were beautifully written. The characters were believable and you grown to love them as family. During my favorite decade, the 60s.. you go through the changes within each episode. You feel like you are a part of the Pryor family and sometimes want Patty to shut up and hope that Meg gets a date with Jimmy Riley. It all worked out to be something of this genetation that the Wonder Years were previously. It was wise beyond its years and I guess people were more interested in the same law and order and murder mysteries then a good old classic family show. The music broaden its audience to those who never heard of Peggy Lee or Donovan. Overall, it will be a show remembered and will remained a favorite of mine always.
  • Its been a wile sense I have seen it but it has to do with family issues from an era during the Vietnam war.

I thought it was a grate show I would stay up on sunday just to watch it. Kind of sad to see it end after only one season. Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Just to meet the 100 word requirement.
  • Greatest show ever made.

I'd say this is probably the best TV show ever made. It takes place 18 years before I was born, but that is the show's charm. It is a timeless show. I think it will still be good many years from now. Plus Brittany Snow is hot.

I miss this show. 3 seasons were not enough. I wish they'd release the last 2 seasons on DVD.
  • Philadelphia Freedom!

When "The simpsons" wasn't on, I watched "American Dreams." that show captures the mood of the 60's, even though the time line is sometimes out of line with actually history. Despite thyeat, the series became a history lesson on the turbant 60's as seen though the eyes of a Philadelphia family. their daughter played by Brittney Snow always go to those TV tapings of "American Bandstand." She's the best reaon why I watch the show. The ther best reason is the show has captured the mood of the 1960's. That's the real energy of the show. I grew upo in the 60's, so I know what's going on.
  • Yes, I can't believe they cancelled this show either!!!! What a bummer!

I have no idea why they cancelled this show, it was so great of a show!!!!! They should think before they cancel a show but whatever happens...happens! Bring it back at least it will be on dvd...I hope! well this was a great show because it was set in the 60's and you got to know what happened in that era! Too bad its gone!
  • I still can't believe they cancelled this show

I still can't believe they cancelled this show and left on such crappy reality shows and stuff like that! This is one of the best shows ever made and I'm also ever sad that season 2 and 3 aren't out on DVD yet and looks like will never be :(
    ~Stephie
  • Insight in the life of a family struggling in the 60's

Meg Pryor is a Philadelphia teen in the 1960s who dances on Dick Clark\'s locally produced \"American Bandstand.\" As she becomes an adult, Meg finds herself grappling with serious issues as her friends and family are affected by the war in Vietnam, racism, feminism, and even teen marriage and pregnancy.
  • I only saw a few episodes, but I liked what I saw.

American Dreams was set in Philadelphia in the 50s, and the show American Bandstand played a big part of this show. It was about a family, and all the ups and downs that the family goes through.

I only saw three episodes. I missed it when it was running regularly, but caught some episodes on late night tv. I'd heard about it, and thought it sounded interesting. I figured out which episode it was and read up on tv.com, so I knew what was going on, because the first one I saw was the Christmas episode of the third season. The following week, another episode was shown, but not the next sequential one, but I still knew what was going on. The third week, yet another non-sequential episode was on... and then that was it.

The three episodes that I saw were all interesting, funny, well-written and well acted. I don't know why it wasn't renewed; it's just this type of show that people should be watching, instead of wasting their time with fake "reality" shows. But it seems that good shows just don't last any more. I wish I'd seen more episodes; they should definitely bring this one back!
  • A faimly dealing with everyday issues during the 1960s

Bring it back!! I LOVE this show and I miss it! it was the ONLY good show on sundaynights! this show was somthing I looked forward to watching. It was the kind of show you could watch buy yourself or with the hole faimly/frinds. there was no sex, drugs, or killing, just a good holsome show. After ending the show the way that they did at the end of the 05 season it makes me mad to know it did not come back for 06! they ended as if it was coming back!! American Dreams NEEDS to come back!!
  • This was a show set in the 1960's about a family that struggled to get along with one another and in the changing world around them.

This was my favorite show, possibly of all time. I would wait each week to watch it. It was always intriguing and interesting. I always wanted to know what was going to happen next. I feel that it was a good show for the whole family and showed daily struggles that families still deal with today. I got emotionally attached to the characters and my friends and I would discuss what was happening and what was going to happen next. I would thrilled if NBC brought this show back to life. There are too many reality shows and not enough like this classic!
  • Why would NBC get rid of a great family show?

I first saw this show when I was in Korea and fell in love with it! I\\\'d only seen reruns from the first season and was excited to come back to the states and continue watching it. Shows like American Dreams are few and far between. These days television is consumed with unoriginal and boring reality shows and it was refreshing to watch this show. Bring it back!
  • How could they let this show go off?

American Dreams was a great show. I would get so excited waiting for it to come back on. It was a show that took me back in time and kept me anxious to see another episode. There is not another show out there like it. American Dreams was truly like no other show. It was almost like a history book being opened in 3d. The Prior family was one of those caring, but daring families. Always trying to keep it real when down in trouble. And the musical guests from our day made you feel like you was in their time. This was such a great show. I wish they would bring it back!
  • American Dreams is a family favorite.

My husband and I enjoyed the family time together watching this great show. Television needs to bring this show back and get rid of all the reality TV. We want to see wholesome shows, featuring real life issues and family values. This show had morals and a great line to follow. Bring it back! Bring it back! The show ended and we all expected it to return with the way the last episode ended. You left us hanging and hungry for more and then NOTHING! No true ending to see which direction the characters would choose. I was disappointed and left waiting for more....I am still waiting.
  • Bring Back American Dreams. This was the only show that had family values. Thank you. Concerned Mother

American Dreams was one of the shows that brought back memories for a lot of families. It also taught us about family values, unlike what they are showing on television now which is disgusting.

My family misses watching American Dreams very much. So please bring it back. Thank you very much.
  • You have to understand I moved from the United States Clear across the world to Dubai (UAE)!! It is my junior year in high school and I had to leave my whole life behind. American Dreams was the only thing I look foward to, until I get to go home.

I really really like this series, because it reminds me that there are people out there who make WAY bigger sacrifices then I did. I just don't think that this series should be ened so fast. One of the things I enjoy most about this show is that it isn't about spoiled rich kids with messed up lives, no it is simply about a family who is trying to live a normal life in the midst of a tradgedy.(The Veitnam War)This series has helped me look forward to the one day a week it comes on. I moved to Dubai almost a year ago and I hate it! My parents say I can go back to the Us and my friends for my senior year, but until then I need something to hang on to. PLEASE RECONSIDER!!
  • A complete and interesting drama that the whole family could watch...and NBC threw it by the wayside.

Centered around a family in Philadelphia during the sixties, American Dreams was a cookiecutter drama with a twist.
    For those who weren't around in that era, it was even more fascinating to watch.
    The political turmoils, fashion, music, and values of the time were also prominent features on the show.
    The Pryors were a lovable, very relatable family to watch, each developed with their own quirks and storylines.
    Sure some of the storylines were typical of any era (oldest boy goes to war, oldest daughter rebels, etc.)but this show was taken off the air before its time.
    Let's just hope it comes to DVD and there is a series finale worthy of the quality of the other episodes and deemed good enough by us fans.
  • American Dreams was the MOST amazing show!

There are so many reasons to love American Dreams, and I personally cannot believe anyone would cancel it. "American Dreams" came at the perfect time in my life. During almost all the episodes I can relate so much to Meg and everything that was happening then. Iraq is my Vietnam, I know what it's like to be persecuted by those you love for you beliefs. I feel the struggle Meg has in trying to find herself. It's not just that I can relate to Meg, but the characters are so lifelike. In some movies you think the actors are the same as the characters, but these characters are real people! The plots are always interesting, and don't even get me started on the music! I get half of my itunes because I remember hearing this amazing song on American Dreams. It was heartless and cruel of NBC to cancel "Dreams" but the good thing is this is the kind of show you can watch over and over again, which is exactly what I do! Great, amazing show!
  • My Fav Show

I loved this show,Now it\\\'s gone.So where is it.You said it would be back next season!!Well that was 3 years ago!I\\\'ll be waiting the staff aren\\\'t do to much in the acting area so bring the show back.It was refreshing to see this clean show,It was fun to watch.Please bring it back.
  • best drama on nbc

i looked forward to sunday nights. i was born in 1966 i got to see how life was in the 60\'s instead of pestering my parents. please nbc what were you thinking it was the best drama on nbc. all the actors did a wonderful job and i enjoyed it.
  • BRING IT BACK

Great Show, with wonderful moments in history. Was a awesome show, and if you have children in the house, some of the points in history gave them a chance to see what it was like to live in a time when these things happened. I looked forward to watching this every week. The story lines for the families were well written, seemed to really hit on a lot of the issues going on in that decade. Bring It Back!
  • BRING IT BACK!

I looked forward to this show every week. I remembered the times. I had friends in Viet Nam. I watched American Bandstand every week. I had those 45s and listened to those groups. I was born and raised Catholic.

This show brought back so many fond memories. It was a good representation of the times and the cultures. Please, bring it back.
  • I was just getting into the show when it was canceled.

While meaningless and moraless period shows "That 70's Show" thrive, I mourned the loss of "AMERICAN DREAMS".

This show depicts the lives of regular Americans growing up in an era in which America was losing its innocence. From the Civil Rights Movement to the horrors of Vietnam, the Pryor family was a part of a time in America where the country was feeling its growing pains. This time in history will be remembered for so much more than any other decade. It was an exciting time to be alive, and through this family we felt the energy and life pulsing through the veins of every American in the 1960s.

This show was but a breif flash, but the brilliance of that flash will always remain.
< 1 2 3