American Dreams

NBC (ended 2005)

American Dreams Fan Reviews (66)

• A True American Gem

I started watching American Dreams a decade after it first aired because I was truly intrigued by the early work of Brittany Snow, Vanessa Lengies, and Will Estes. I have to say that I was truly amazed by the storylines and how genuine the show was. From what I read some of the events or music weren't exactly corresponding to the timeline but the historical events took second to the ups and downs of the Pryor family.

I was happy when Meg got into Bandstand and crossed my fingers every time JJ had to catch a football in his games. I rolled my eyes but smiled at Patty's intelligence and was always happy to see Will happy. I especially enjoyed watching Helen and Jack trying to manage four children in the '60s with the help of friends and Pete, Jack's younger brother.

It was so interesting to see both the white, Catholic family in the '60s along with the storyline of the Walkers, the African American family who struggled and succeeded with the Pryors. I loved it when Sam got into Penn, he so deserved it!

As the seasons progressed I bit my fingernails when JJ was in Vietnam and cringed every time Meg got in trouble. I was happy when Helen got a job working at the travel agency and when Will had his surgery and it worked.

All in all, this was a great show and a great piece of American television. I wish there were more shows like this now, ten years later.