American Dreams

Tidings Of Comfort And Joy

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Nov 21, 2004 on NBC

• There is so much to say about this episode, I just don't know where to begin... Here goes nothing...

Of all the things going on in this episode, It's obvious that JJ's return is the most pivotal. When JJ walks through the door to a family that clearly was not expecting to ever see him again, every single reaction was dead on. The acting on this show has always been great but this took it to a new level. Will being the first one to run toward JJ was heartwarming, especially when you think about the amount of hero worship that exists between Will and his big brother. Helen's character is an atestment to all mothers who have sons overseas. Finally, after so many months, it is like she is allowed to breathe again. Gail O'Grady is phenomenal as usual as she welcomes her "Jack" (as JJ is always called when something serious is going on) home again.

JJ, understandably almost unsure of how to interact with his family again after spending so long without them, holding his son for the first time moved me to tears, as did Beth's obvious fears about how the war has changed him, as she clearly still loves him despite everything. These two charcters alone could be a show, in my opinon. When you consider how many layers there are between the two of them, how much they have been through together, and the fact that they are only 19 years old, the possibilities are endless. That, in my opinion, is what makes them so interesting; They represent two people being hurdled through a changing generation in the same way all of the other characters do, and yet there is something intangable about the dynamic of thier relationship. Amazing writing. Two thumbs up all the way!