An American Horror Story Community
Wednesday 10:00 PM on FX
I don't know about you, but I found it hard not to see Zoe and Kyle as a little bit of a continuation of Violet and Tate. Having been heartbroken by Violet and Tate's tragic ending, a small part of me felt that Zoe and Kyle's happy ending made that all ok.

With that being said, these two relationships were also very different. Violet and Tate's relationship had a dark cloud over it from the start, and it was impossible to ignore the disturbing undertones of Tate's past. Zoe and Kyle were so innocent at heart, naive but purely in love. And while I absolutely loved watching Taissa Farmiga and Evan Peters as Zoe and Kyle this season, I couldn't help but feel that their relationship on its own was underdeveloped if you were to ignore the Violet and Tate background.

So, which couple was your favorite? Why? Did you see Violet and Tate as intertwined with Zoe and Kyle or completely separate? Let me know!

Poll

Comments (34)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Misty and Cordelia. They are beautiful together.
Out of those two, Zoe and Kyle. Too much adorableness. Tate is an asshole, a hot asshole who really does love Violet, but an asshole nonetheless
Flag
Never thought about Misty and Cordelia before but now that you mention it they would make a pretty interesting couple! Wish we had gotten to see where something like that could have gone. But yes, Zoe and Kyle and so sweet.
Flag
Zoe's version of Hell: Kyle kept breaking up with me over and over again (boohoo)

I haven't watched all of the first season yet, so I can't really say which pair was more compelling. But there wasn't much development in Coven. I guess there was an interesting dynamic with Madison in the mix. She and Kyle could relate to each other about being undead.
Flag
I wanna say Zoe and Kyle (mostly because no one else really offered them as a legitimate competition lol)... especially since Kyle never raped Zoe's mom and was definitely not crazy BUT there's just something so romantically tragic about Violet and Tate.

I liked Zoe and Kyle together, but they weren't as developed as Tate and Violet. I mostly feel that the reason for this is because this season didn't have the time and space to develop Zoe and Kyle like they did Violet and Tate. Violet was one of 3 main characters of her season, while Zoe is more a part of the ensemble. If anything Fiona was the lead of this season. Zoe didn't have enough genuine screen time to focus on her relationship with Kyle. Also Kyle spent the majority of the season as a broken zombie who couldn't speak and was kinda violent. It's kind of hard to develop his relationship with Zoe as a romantic one and not as a relationship between a pit bull and it's owner when he can't communicate with her. And when he became able to communicate they stopped really showing him that much.

Evan Peters was criminally underused this season...
More+
Flag
Violet and Tate, because they were pretty good characters. Zoe and Kyle, on the other hand not so much. Zoe was a letdown and amounted to nothing, and Kyle was one of the worst characters in AHS history. It really did just feel like a far less compelling rehash of Violet and Tate. Taissa Farmiga did really good on Murder House and parts of Coven this season, while Evan Peters was really good on Murder House, even better on Asylum, and did nothing on Coven. It wasn't Evan Peter's fault though.
Flag
Yup that is exactly my reasoning. And my favorite EP role was his Asylum role.
I felt that season 3 was very poor in all types of development such as character and plot. It felt very cheap.
Flag
Hmm...it wasn't so hard to separate them, but if you thought about it, you were caught up in Violet and Tate's story again (and how I sometimes wondered about it, as happy and segregated as the Harmons made themselves and it was likely Violet would have some wolfs guarding her from either Tate or that other chick coming around, you really felt for Tate. I mean, I am kind of convinced he might have been the Devil himself, but you couldn't help be moved for everything he tried to do for Violet. I mean, he tried to save her life even if it meant she would leave him someday and then tried to protect her from it). I didn't feel as attached to either Kyle or Zoe, and if one over the other, you obviously knew Zoe a little better, but I kind of feel like Kit being in the middle of Tate and Kyle made me sympathetic to him (which means clearly he will be playing an evil character again next season).
Flag
I liked how Zoe and Kyle saw each other for the first time but the whole relationship seemed as if the creators wanted to give us what we wanted for Violet and Tate.
I choose Violet and Tate.
Flag
The way Tate protected Violet and how she would run into his arms for safety, I'll always choose them on that alone.
Flag
Violet and Tate!
Sure the relationship was all sorts of complicated and tragic. But it was that same complexity that made the couple both endearing and enduring.

Also, I love Tate...I know that sounds crazy considering all of the horrible things he's responsible for. But that's what this series will do to you. It convinces you that all these despicable people are just misunderstood for the most part :)
Flag
Is your real name Tanis? Or is it just a handle? I only ask because I always thought that was an awesome name and never encountered anyone with it.
Flag
Just a handle. It was the name I chose whilst playing Knights of the Old Republic and I've just used it as my online alias ever since (which is gosh...about a decade now). Real name's Carrie, btw :)
Flag
Carrie's also good! lol. And good choice in handle! I had my son last March and if he had been she, Tanis was in my top two! :) Instead, he's Maximus! lol And my name is Molly. Thank you for indulging my randomness :p
Flag
Happy to indulge, and nice to meet you Molly. Also love the name Maximus for your son, great choice :)
Flag
I understand, I love Tate too. Despite what he did, I always saw the ghost version of Tate as separate from the living version of Tate. And well said about the relationship.
Flag
I agree with both of you, lol, everybody's just misunderstood, not evil ;) And I too, tended to view Dead Tate as separate from Living Tate (or even Dead Tate 2.0 after he met Violet, which was yet another incarnation, really..) I never wanted to believe Tate was the one responsible for the "Rubber Man" murders, tho my ex called it early on and even when all signs started pointing in that direction it wasn't until they blatantly showed it was him that I accepted it... Even tho Taissa irritates me at times, her love story as Violet with Tate was beautiful...two lost souls finding someone they can truly relate to.. I could have accepted all the other horrible things Tate did and still have had him end up with Violet if he hadn't raped her mother. There's just no changing or forgiving something like that, even if it hadn't ended up resulting in Vivian, Dr. Harmon's baby, and indirectly Dr. Harmon's deaths.
As others have mentioned, it does seem as though Zoe and Kyle were introduced to play out their (abbreviated) love story with a happy ending. It might be a tad pandering, but strangely I don't care, I would watch incarnations of them find each other and fall in love on as many seasons of AHS as they chose to produce (assuming of course that the main plot of each season remains entertaining.)
More +
Flag
I feel that Tate was the guy in the rubber suit was a decision made later in the season of writing. And that was one of the things I felt cheated about that season.
Flag
This is a no brainier for me: Violet & Tate all the way!
Zoe and Kyle were a joke! I mean he was a wild zombie/Neanderthal for most of the season.
Flag
Violet and Tate, there was something so hopeless about them: he was going to wait forever for her and she got to be happey forever, but without him.

At least Zoe and Kyle got to be together.
Flag
Kyle had no depth. Tate was fascinating even though Season 1 Murder House was my least favorite season (saved by Tate who was interesting and of course Jessica Lange).
Flag
I would say that Violet and Tate were the better couple, they're romance felt more genuine and it was more developed. And I liked that dark cloud covering them, as you described it. I could't stand Zoe and Kyle at the beginning of this season, she meets him one night and she's instantly obssesed. Her atempt at taking care of him was a chore to watch. Once they added Maddison, things got more interesting.
Flag
Zoe, Kyle and Madison. They had a zombie threesome, just think what kind of relationship they could have had if they all just got along - especially after Zoe died and was brought back, true zombie threesome.
Flag
Great question! We added a poll to match and promoted it to the homepage for you.
Flag
Awesome! Thank you!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members