An American Horror Story Community
Wednesday 10:00 PM on FX

American Horror Story S03E06: "The Axeman Cometh"

It's none of your business how many domino-toppling competitions I have been kicked out of in my lifetime. That exact number is between me and the domino-toppling competition officials and for the record I am still appealing many of these decisions before the International Governing Board of Domino Topplers, who are known haters. But yes, it's true, I have been kicked out of several dozen domino-toppling competitions. For one thing, it is apparently considered "disruptive" to sneak up behind people and scare them while they attempt to set up their dominos. But in my opinion the REAL reason I've been kicked out of so many domino-toppling competitions has to do with MY BEAUTY and MY FLAIR. See, I think that domino-toppling is about much more than simply watching dominos fall. No, we ought to be keeping the crowds entertained, even when we're merely placing thousands upright dominos into elaborate patterns for the hours and hours beforehand. How do we keep a crowd's attention during this tedious process? NUDITY. That is the hands-down best way to make the domino set-up process as entertaining as the pay-off. That is also why I'm in jail now. 

I can't remember why I decided to share this anecdote with you just kidding here's why: "The Axeman Cometh" was a set-up episode! Definitely the least eventful episode of the season so far. But that doesn't mean it was boring. No, in addition to setting up the season's various storytelling dominos, this episode kept us very entertained with BEAUTY and FLAIR and BUTTS. Let's talk about it!

So, as the title sorrrrta implied, this episode heavily featured somebody called Axeman and he was played by Danny Huston (whose IMDB page lists him as playing "Creepy Villain" in every single thing he's been in). Axeman was from the olden days of New Orleans and he played saxophone and kept an ax in his sax case and he loved typing letters to the whole town telling them to listen to more jazz or he'd murder them with an ax. Keep this whole scenario in mind next time someone tries to tell you that the internet is ruining the world. People were constantly doing crazy stuff like this in the olden days because they were BORED.

Anyway, the Madame Robichaux Academy for Sassy Witch Tricks was definitely operating around the time of the Axeman and the most popular member was Meryl Streep's daughter and Meryl Streep's daughter was NOT happy about the Axeman going around chopping up ladies. It was wrong and rude and she aimed to fight back. 

So one fateful evening, Meryl Streep's daughter made sure that the house WASN'T playing jazz.

And right when the Axeman cameth, this happened:

All the witches put on robes and stabbed him SO MUCH. That was honestly the most amount of stabbing I've seen since my Labor Day barbecue (long story). But yeah, Axeman died.

Meanwhile in modern day, Zoe was pawing through Madison's things like an agitated racoon. (Um, the fact that Madison owned a tiny handgun with a pearl-encrusted grip made me miss her a thousand times more. Now THAT is a lady.)

So then a bottle rolled across the floor and Zoe discovered a hidden chamber at the back of the closet containing so much exposition. In this case it was a lot of pictures of previous witches who'd lived there, especially witches that were Meryl Streep's daughter. This discovery made Zoe suddenly feel very militant and prideful of her witch ancestry, and it especially made her want to GET CRUNKED.

I guess because witches should only use a Ouija Board when they are completely messed up on absinthe, suddenly the academy's top three students were doing shots! And it was AMAZING. I mean:

ALL THE BEST FACES. 

Anyway, the Ouija-ing went about as well as you'd expect.

It turned out the Axeman was a Chatty Cathy! At some point the girls realized they didn't even have to keep their fingers on the shot glass (?) and Axeman just kept on yammering about whatever. It's like, relax, Axeman. Finally Queenie just slapped that shot glass off the table and into the fireplace because ENOUGH.

I agreed with Queenie in this situation. A good rule I like to live by is to not have conversations with people named Axeman, especially not via Ouija Board. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I was raised right.

Meanwhile Fiona got chemo and cried and read everybody's thoughts and told a definitely dying lady that the definitely dying lady was going to be fine and should spend all her money on a super nice dress. It made me VERY emotional for real, but not as emotional as I got when I realized Fiona would barely be in this episode. Okay bye Fiona, we'll check in with you later.

So after the girls Asked Jeeves about the Axeman, Zoe truly outdid herself with bad thinking skills. She decided that they should "release" Axeman's ghost into the real world in exchange for information about what happened to Madison. PERFECT idea! Oh, Zoe. Weren't there any OTHER ghosts chillin' in that mansion? Specifically not ones named after ax murder?

So anyway, one quick Ouija session later and Zoe was suddenly on a corpse hunt in the attic.

Which, YAY! Finally somebody found Madison. But whoops, look behind you girl!

Don't worry, it was just Spalding and his fingernails. Zoe simply hit him over the head with a doll and he passed out. Spalding is not in very good shape, to be honest.

This image probably should not have made me laugh but IT DID:

Hahaha poor Cordelia. Now that she was out of the hospital she was basically Mister Magoo-ing it all over the house. Not only that, but anytime somebody touched her she'd see ALL THEIR SECRETS:

Ugh, this guy. To be fair, at this point Cordelia only saw that he'd had a sexual escapade with a redheaded lady and had not yet seen the murder part. Cordelia's powers were still kinda janky, let's be real. I mean, the murder part should've shown up first, but then again I'm not Professor of Psychics. (Not anymore.)

Anyway, after banishing her husband from the room, Cordelia tried to regain her composure only to experience the exact same thing with Fiona:

Haha tough day, girl. Yeah, Cordelia was not happy about suddenly finding out her family friend Myrtle had been BURNT AT THE STAKE. I know that whenever *I* find out my family friends have been burnt at the stake it is VERY annoying to me and sometimes ruins my entire afternoon.

This was absolutely disgusting. The girls tied up Spalding and grilled him for answers about Madison's murder, and via Nan's mind-reading abilities we had to listen to him give long creepy speeches about making love to teenagers. Is there such a thing as a mental tongue, because somebody PLEASE cut that one out too.

I did enjoy when Queenie pressed a hot spatula to her own face and made him pass out. Queenie is truly a gift.

Speaking of gifts:

That's right, Misty Day (LOL) was enjoying a splendid afternoon in her swamp garden just watering her charred, undead corpses. And let me tell you something, we couldn't see her face, body, neck or head, but it was obvious that Myrtle was LOVING IT. And look who decided to pay them both a visit!

Oh, hi Kyle! Despite the fact that Kyle had been sexually assaulted by his mother for several decades and then was torn apart by a flipping party bus and then resurrected by teen witches and then had murdered his mother with a soccer trophy and also had been wandering around in the swamplands for the past few weeks, he was looking pretty good? Still though, he definitely needed a full naked sponge bath and Misty Day was BOUT IT.

Unfortunately for some reason Kyle did not like it when matronly women got close to his crotchal area, and he was forced to go on a naked wet rampage!

That's right, he even broke Misty Day (LOL)'s 8-track player (and Stevie Nicks cartridges) and it was the most devastated we've ever seen her look. And by the way, we've seen her burn at the stake. This was even more intense than that. Poor Misty Day! (LOL though.)

Fortunately Zoe arrived so Kyle stopped breaking everything and instead gave her a wet naked hug. Unfortunately for Misty Day (LOL), Zoe needed a favor.

First off, it was very very hilarious when Misty Day didn't want to help revive Madison because Madison was too rotten/dead and instead offered to help bury her. Haha I love how Misty Day was just OVER IT lately. Now that her 8-track was broken, so was part of her soul. Stop bothering Misty Day with all your resurrection needs, everybody. She is a person too!

Anyway, she did end up helping.

A bug crawled out of Madison's mouth and then she sat up and asked for a cigarette (Madison, not the bug). Perfect. Welcome back, girl! (You don't look great, but that's probably because of society's impossible standards of beauty and also your face is rotting off.)

Another reason why Misty Day (LOL) is kind of the best: She stole all the bagels and then immediately bounced because she could tell there was an Axeman ghost in the house and she was NOT about to deal with that tonight.

OH, so this was quite a reveal:

Cordelia's husband is a witch hunter! Who'd been hired by Marie Laveau to murder all the descendents of Salem, and he'd only married Cordelia to get the inside track on all the witches he needed to murder. I guess the angry sex he'd been having with his victims was just part of the witch hunting M.O.? I don't know and never will.

WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT MARIE LAVEAU'S ANGRY SPEECH. Specifically how many Emmys Angela Basset should win for it. A thousand? A thousand-thousand? All of them from now on? I rewound and watched this part four times because it was the best thing I've seen in my whole life. First of all, Cordelia's husband got TOLD OFF. Secondly there is no secondly. HE GOT TOLD. Oh man was I laughing. The thing I will always love about this show is how talented and high-class the actors are, and how they give 100% percent always, no matter what the material is, even if that material involves calling Kathy Bates a cracker. This whole speech is my ringtone now! (Hypothetically because nobody calls me.) It was the best. Angela Bassett is the best. MVP of the episode and maybe whole season. 

Oh, and we even got a glimpse into the explanation behind that redheaded lady who got murdered: She'd been a witch with pyrokinesis skills and had interviewed with Cordelia about possibly attending the academy but opted out so that she could go home and troll Thomas Kinkade message boards. Also she once lit her boyfriend on fire.

Breakups are always hard, but especially when someone is accidentally lit on fire via witchcraft.

Quick request: Imagine being dead and then suddenly waking up to THIS SIGHT:

Heaven, right?

So, right away Madison was looking pretty good. However she was having trouble drinking ginger ale, not to mention remembering how she'd died. Fair enough. Those memories were probably eaten away by potato bugs.

Meanwhile Cordelia was having a rough evening. First of all she had a hard time finding her bed, and then she had a hard time swallowing pills and taking sips of water. We've all been there, girl! But also, an ax murderer ghost showed up to sexually harass her.

He chased Cordelia ALL OVER. But as a blind lady, her only defense was running around and breaking all the furniture and shrieking and whatnot. That's how the rest of the girls realized that Axeman had cometh, so they decided to run downstairs and find a magic spell to get him off Cordelia's back. But HOW would they find the right one?

Zoe now had another new power: Psychically predicting what books say!

So they joined hands, did the spell, and Axeman disappeared. I loved this part when the girls ran up to comfort Cordelia and she did this:

Haha sorry, I know blindness is no laughing matter but I am LAUGHING THOUGH. 

Anyway, it turned out the spell Zoe had read actually served to release Axeman out into society where he could ax everybody!

And look whom he sidled up next to up in the club!

Oh, Fiona. I mean obviously she is in zero danger because Fiona is a #WINNER. But earlier during chemo she'd been openly praying that she could still find the love of her life someday, and it looked like she'd immediately gotten her hopes up over Axeman. Uh-oh, looks like Fiona's probably going to get her HEART axed now. Poor Fiona. 

That was the cliffhanger, folks! See what I'm saying, not a ton happened in this episode, mostly setup. We DID learn what Cordelia's husband was up to. We also welcomed Madison back to the realm of the living. Plus Kyle's #butt. So all in all a very worthwhile episode! Let's see where this goes. 

BYEE

QUESTIONS

... What did you think of Zoe's decisions this week?

... Did you feel bad for Misty Day when her 8-track player died?

... Was Marie Laveau's rant the best or the very best?

... Should older ladies stop trying to touch Kyle's junk in general?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 1/13/2016

Season 5 : Episode 12

226 Comments
Comments (226)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
"Specifically how many Emmys Angela Basset should win for it. A thousand? A thousand-thousand? All of them from now on?"

From the opening sequence to the credits of the season premiere I knew I'd love this season of AHS. First, because it takes place in New Orleans which holds a special place in my heart. Second, because Angela Bassett's name appeared in the credits and she should hold a special place in EVERYBODY'S heart.

Still though, no mention of her being a national treasure? Rude Price, rude.
Flag
I felt bad for Misty Day and her 8 track, but I read this week that Stevie Nicks may be making an appearance on the show, so that should make her happy again!
Flag
wow overkill on the Axeman and Zoe is becoming a supreme badass!!!
Flag
Was it just me or did anyone else feel the tension between Zoe and Queenie? Specifically when Zoe was basically taking charge and Queenie was all "but Fiona says I'm the next supreme, shouldn't I be leading?"
Flag
Loved the whole opening scene, with the Axemen and the witches of the school of 1919 playing opera instead of Jazz..he didn't see all those witches coming.
I really like Zoe...she is really becoming badass and strong in her powers.
She found Madison...Awesome!! Poor guy, getting the blame and burned by Queenie..It was nice to hear his voice...!!
Poor Misty her music box is broken, but a hot naked Kyle...!! I really thought that he played that scene awesomely...he only feels safe with Zoe...! Now he is chained in the basement of the school...wonder how that will go...
Madison is Back!! Cool...wonder if she is still destined to become the next Supreme...and i for sure want to see the face of Fionna when they come face to face..
Angela Basset working with that Bastard!! Loved her as always. Witch Bitches...!!
Cordelia played very well the scene with the Axeman...love her new powers..
For a Supreme, Fionna is most of the time when the girls are in real danger, nowhere to be seen. She has no clue what is going on in the school...
Now she has met the Axemen...wonder how that will end up...??
Just loving this series....Would be lovely to see Cher in it..!!

More+
Flag
Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but does anyone else think maybe Kyle isn't just a victim of disturbed women everywhere he goes, that maybe there's something witchy about him now that's drawing more women to be possessive and extra frisky with him?
Flag
I just love this show. It's freakin' great, having lot's of fun watching and certainly not quitting. Long Live the AHSc.
I have been quitting lot's of shows lately (The Dome after 6 episodes, Criminal minds after 8 seasons, The Black List after 5 episodes, Atlantis after 2 episodes, Dracula after 1.5 episode, Sleepy Hollow after 4 episodes, The Borgias in season 2, etc ...).
Flag
I love the episodes so far and very good characters I can't even pin point one weak one. Misty Day is very interesting and Sarah Paulson scared crying is amazing.
Flag
Brilliant review on a brilliant episode as always.
After this episode I also kinda realized why I love this show so much. Sure it's about crazy murderers and weird shit that's happening, but it's also about people. About people who fight. Whenever these seasons start, we meet these people and they're never in the best of situations and then shit just HITS THE FAN. Like, every week you think things can't get any worse and THEN THEY DO! But you know what, you only love them more because of that, you only root for them more and through all that shit, you cheer them on. Because they fight, because what else can they do? This show may have the most fucked up way of showing it, but it celebrates human power and I'll love it forever because of that.
And this has been this week in: Why I love this show. Also, Misty Day will be my spirit animal for the rest of my natural life, thank you very much she is perfection personified.
Flag
"Breakups are always hard, but especially when someone is accidentally lit on fire via witchcraft."
I almost peed my pants laughing.
Flag
I love the fact that even the swamp witch - who has been bitching about how lonely she is - won't spend a night at the witch academy. Burn! I also love that she had the good sense to raid the fridge before left. It's a shame that she isn't the alpha witch.
I LOVED Basset's angry speech. Can someone give that woman an Emmy please? I too may make it into a ring tone. Although it paints Fiona in a much better light as it shows that the voodoo crowd have been breaking the truce and messing with the Salem crowd long before Fiona came back to town.
My fav line of tonight's ep has to be "get him out of here. He broke Stevie"
Also who the heck blinded Cordelia?? Love this show. Can't wait for the next ep. <3
Flag
Ditto! All of what you said :D.
Flag
Why didn't Nan know about the witch hunter?!
Flag
Maybe Angela Bassett hexed him? Some kind off voodoo protection spell??
Flag
I really hate these photo recaps.
Flag
@crenshawdk I couldn't agree more. I made a comment similar to this and now it's not on here anymore. I guess censorship is in full force...
Flag
Looks like we're in the minority here. You must have written something really nasty for that to have happen.
Flag
I just called them asinine, which makes me wonder if someone doesn't know the meaning of the word, or maybe it really was THAT offensive! :o
Flag
What is wrong with you??? Photo recaps, especially with whimsically delightful *insert your own text* captions are the greatest thing to happen to this site since.... well, since TV shows were worth writing about on this site!
Flag
To each his own. The point is that you just scroll down and down for a 1000 pages and read 2 lines of text that describes every 3rd picture which I just saw on the show. It ads nothing insightful and is rarely funny. I'm sorry but I need my intellect stimulated a bit more than looking at a bunch of pictures. I need insight and perspective and these photo recaps just doesn't do it for me. THAT is what's wrong with me.
Flag
Even though I'm sure you're dead inside, I feel like I should offer you a hug and some warm, baked goods. Even sociopaths deserve some love and kindness, after all.
Flag
sociopaths?
Flag
Photo recaps are more entertaining than just a 2 page essay review
Flag
Then stop reading. Most of us LOVE THEM.
Flag
What did you think of Zoe's decisions this week?

God, I hope Zoe gets better at being a witch (by "better," I mean "smarter").

Did you feel bad for Misty Day when her 8-track player died?

Not particularly, but somehow thinking about it makes me laugh.

Was Marie Laveau's rant the best or the very best?

YES.

Should older ladies stop trying to touch Kyle's junk in general?

YES.
Flag
was Kyle trying to grab a feel when Zoe was chaining him up?
Flag
lmao YES!!
Flag
I'm just gonna say that I loooovvvee Misty Day! Lol. She stole every scene where she was in it.

Yes, I was thinking the same way too. Kyle's story is definitely the weakest this season. I didn't care much...

The revelation of Cordelia's husband being a witch hunter was a much interesting story to follow. A Witch Hunter who fell in love with a witch? Classic, but it worked! It means despite what he has done, he's really in love with his wife, and really want to have a child with Cordelia (even by using magic--I mean, he's a witch hunter, right?) He put aside his belief just to make his wife happy. I hope they both will get a happy ending, although I doubt it...

Axeman and Fiona? Well, didn't see that one coming...

Spalding was really creepy, you know...

Flag
I truly live for #butts
Flag
So maybe I'm way off, but did anyone else see a correlation between Alexandra Breckenridge's character getting killed off and the onset of Madison's pyrokinetic power? Coincidence?
Flag
BUT Madison got the power BEFORE Alexandra's character died
Flag
That, and it seems the transference of power thus far only carriers from one supreme to the next. Which in a way really makes you wonder what the voodoo side has as far as a lineage of supremes, or if it is because Marie was a former supreme whose immortality all this time has been making all the other supremes weaker and weaker over time and less stable from transition to transition?
Flag
Marie is a voodoo priestess not a supreme. A supreme is for regular witches
Flag
"Getting Grilled" ... Lol'd so much

Flag
My brain has always had SO much trouble with the spelling/pronunciation relationship of Ouija Board. Even then I had to scroll up to check. Twice.
Flag
I was really expecting to not like this episode when I started watching it. The beginning of 'The Axeman Cometh' felt like it could have been a Season 1 episode of American Horror Story - often throwing in random creepy subplots to keep things entertaining while not progressing the serialised elements of the show in any way. The Axeman, however, did lead to some interesting developments, I while I wish they would have occurred via characters and/or situations already established in this series, I'm not going to complain too much because where this episode ended up was just fine by me.

Can I just say how much Zoe has improved as a character in the last two episodes? I mean, yes, she's still making very stupid decisions (lying to the ghost of the Axeman about his release), but its so invigorating watching a character take charge and be willing to get things done. It was sort of annoying knowing how bad the Coven was going with its dwindling numbers and then watching all the events earlier this season unfold. It was just like, won't someone do something already? Zoe is an antidote to that, and I'm loving it. She's got a lot of responsibilities now though, with a crazy Kyle, and disorientated returned from the dead Madison, and that pesky Axeman was released back into the world. Hopefully her new temperament can withstand all the stuff she's going to have to deal with soon enough.

I really wish Denis O'Hare would be able to talk more actually Price, he seems very wasted this season. I love how Nan had to take extreme liberties with what he was saying to tell Zoe and Queenie, otherwise they probably would have killed him. I certain he was just putting on a show for them, but why would he be protecting Fiona? I also seemed bizarre that after all those accusations and torture Zoe turned around and thought that someone else killed Madison. I mean, what?

On bringing Madison back: to me, it feels cheap. I was genuinely surprised when they killed her off so early in the season, and while she's a great character, I'm not sure it was the best decision to bring her back because now the greatness of her death has been reduced to nothing.

Haha, Price, don't you worry, I laughed at blind Cordelia too! She's definitely also a much improved character. The power of magic I guess. Watching Sarah Paulson is this episode was heartbreakingly entrancing. I very much enjoyed the witch hunter reveal, it makes his and Cordelia's stories seem so much more important in the grand scheme of this season (and I was worried they wouldn't be). Maybe I need to re-watch Marie Laveau's speech though, because I don't seem to have been moved as much as everyone else by it.

Also, where was Madame LaLaurie this week? I would have much preferred it if the The Axeman's story was replaced with a plot connecting with her past instead.
More+
Flag
I think Spalding protects Fiona for this reason: Myrtle had already enchanted his tongue (giggle) to tell only speak the truth when he cut off his tongue. His last words were
"I have always been in love with you" spoken to Fiona immediately prior to using a razor to remove his own tongue. That's love, right there.
His thoughts may have been just that-thoughts. He might did younger chicks, but trust me-they would have to be dead to let him near them.
Flag
Is Spalding really a necro-paedophile? He did not say the truth at the beginning but chose Fiona's well-being over by protecting her with his lies. I think he also lied about having done things with Madison's corpse just to make his story more believable - I don't know, he seems to like dressing up but the rest...?
Flag
I definitely think he's protecting Fiona, but I have no idea why. I think the show tried to imply that he may had done things to Madison's corpse, but like you said, we only ever saw him dress her up, and the rest will probably just always be pure speculation (I myself very much doubt he slept with her corpse).
Flag
All the Cordelia captions had me laughing.. And I also laughed out loud when she walk in with the cane in full swing, I'm not sure why, but it was funny!
Flag
The way she was swinging that thing I was surprised she didn't knock anything over.
Flag
Just wanna add: Price's "Who dat" caption made me LOL since this show is set in New Orleans. Don't know if that was intentional or a happy accident, but well done. /football joke
Flag
I really liked this episode, even though it wasn't off the wall crazy like previous episodes. Also this recap was simply PERFECT. Bravo! I LOL'ed so much at the part where you show Kyle having the tantrum.
Flag
Zoe is the devil? These are not witch-fu powers, they're devil-fu powers.
Flag
Loved this episode. Even though nothing quite dramatic happened (like a lawn full of zombies) finding out finally about Cordillera's husband and the return of Madison more than made up for that.
Btw, as for Misty Day, she seriously needs to run for office. Imagine a country run by misty day. They would include but not limited to!
1) Stevie Nicks all the time (um.. that's just amazing!)
2) All healing would occur with swamp mud!! (amazing x 2)
3) She has the power of resurgence (winning!)

just saying..
Flag
i didn't think Zoe acted stupid this time because as she said she promised the axe-murderer but she wasn't gonna do it, it's still unclear why he was released in the house.
Maybe her actions indirectly released him but she couldn't have known.
Flag
Why on earth did they need to have the actor who plays Kyle in this series?

His character adds nothing to the show and is just plain annoying.

They should have put him on ice this season just like the oh so cute actress who plays Zoe was last year.
Flag
Or had him be a part of the coven. So far the only male witch was the flamboyantly gay member of the council. I agree though, his character this time around adds absolutely nothing to the over all arc, no?
Flag
I loved it as I always do this show. 8/10.
Flag
Okay I think this was the weakest episode of this season to date.
That cliffhanger with Spalding shutting Zoe's mouth and then just being tied up 'cause the girl turned over and smacked him with a doll (REALLY?!) was plain ridiculous.
I was bothered from the start with the Axeman shit... waaay too random I know the writers can come up with something a bit more interesting.
"Go to hell! - Ladies first." I burst into laughter... that cheesiness I bet the writers were all like "We have outdone ourselves at last! We're so witty!"

Now I know most of the characters haven't had the honor of being present during Zoe's decision making and aftermaths but that bitch's got some nerve! She just won't stop God dammit! She reaaally annoyed me acting all smart and self entitled when all she does is screw everything up. Just stop! I know we got whatshername back thanks to her but it was all too... stupid.

Finally, oh my fucking God Cordelia's screams! did that acid burn half her brain too?!

Flag
Yeah, Spalding grabbing Zoe's mouth before an ad break to have him tied to a chair on return was quite cheap. And yes, I had problems with the randomness of The Axeman, too. I would have preferred the character to have something to do with Madame LaLaurie's character (where was she in this episode?), as it would have linked to the overall plot of the series much better.

I disagree about Zoe though. Does she constantly make stupid decisions? Yes, but she has extremely good intentions and it's good to finally see a character take a stand to the madness that has been Coven and actually take charge and try and do something about it.
Flag
Agreed. At least she's trying. Hopefully she's a red herring (I'm pretty sure we're supposed to think Zoe is the new Supreme) Cuz I like surprises
Flag
Oh god, the screams... I don't know what they were going for. It sounded like she was screaming in pain than out of terror.
Flag
" That cliffhanger with Spalding shutting Zoe's mouth and then just being tied up 'cause the girl turned over and smacked him with a doll (REALLY?!) was plain ridiculous " ...

LOL. I have to agree with you. The evil Spalding attacks Zoe from behind. *oh no now she's dead too* .. Cuts to Spalding tied up to a chair ... *a what?!?!* ...
Flag
It goes to show that while Spalding is creepy as hell, he is not particularly dangerous because he is a withered weakling.
Flag
oooooohhhh, i just had an idea while replying to another commentors postm. the commentor said that he sees the axeman as a filler character and the episode in general as filler. i disagreed and said "since we dont know what's coming in the next episodes it possible that the axeman may not be a filler character and he may end up somehow being central to the main plot." and as soon as that thot came to my mind i thot "wait a minute, what if the axeman ends up joining marie?" and now that i think about it, that could totally work, i mean she hates the witches and so does he.....ooohhhhh, id love to see that happen.
Flag
Throughout the last part of the episode I thought there was a strong possibility that the Axeman would get his release through physically joining Cordelia's husband. Could still happen. Wouldn't that be neat?
Flag
If this was a role playing game and I was game master, I'd have to bring some hurt down on Zoe. First she brings Kyle back, considers euthanizing him with rat poison (nice painful way to go) then lets her Frankenstein's monster run about the city. When she finds him again, she chains him up like a dog then takes her new Lady Frankenstein into the nice comfy house. Man. No love for her Adam. Theeen she goes and turns loose a murderous ghost on New Orleans.

She's just begging for big trouble. She'd better start doing right by her first creation or she's really going to have a monster on her hands. We all know what happened to Dr. Frankenstein's monster when he was chained up and neglected.
Flag
Alright. I REALLY LOVE this new Zoe!!! She a boss. Sure, breaking promises with ax murderers is probably not the wisest move, but she got shit done, didn't she?

But sadly for Zoe, she might not even be my favorite witch because Misty Day, Madison, and Marie Laveau are melting my face off with their awesomeness (and probably pyrokinetic abilities). I just love how this show has crammed more amazing ladies into one series than exist in basically the rest of television combined. Even those suffragette witches turned out to be bomb ass once they donned black cloaks and started stabbing serial killers.

Meanwhile, I'm worried that Kyle's plot is going to be limited to him running around screaming and naked and breaking shit. And ultimately getting sexed to death by Zoe :( Or not? Maybe he'll just get better and choose a quiet, swamp-witch lifestyle? I hope so, Kyle. I hope so.
Flag
Yeah, I'm thinking if Zoe's sexual power does fatal harm to the living, then the opposite might happen when she takes on the dead or undead.
Flag
This was great, but where was Kathy Bates? I wanted her to say "Borquita" again :(
Flag
Well, it seems Zoe is going to be the new Supreme. So, why isn't Queenie suspicious that Fiona may be lying to her about her being the new Supreme?

Don't they all know it was assumed Madison was going to be the new Supreme and that's likely why she was killed?

Obviously, Madison should eventually remember who killed her and therefore Fiona should be killed. But Fiona is the star of the show. Hmmm.

I feel Madame Laveau being responsible for the dwindling witch population makes the witches seem incompetent. And is there to make us hate Laveau and want her dead. While before there was an interesting struggle and competition between the 'White Witches' and the 'Black Voodoo Witches', now its simply Laveau is an evil villain and should be killed.

Fiona is like the least sympathetic character ever. Are we actually supposed to root for this monster?

It seems Zoe prioritizes the existence and strength of witches over the survival of random people. She's fine with the axe man being out there as long as Madison is back and Cordelia is safe.
More+
Flag
The way you just described Zoe is precisely why she would be a good Supreme for the Coven.
Flag
Well, she seems the 'best' of those left, but that's only because of her recent display of leadership skills and badassery. With Madison back, we'll see.
Flag
In the preview for next week, they showed Delia touching Madison and then calling out Fiona. They also showed Queenie and Marie meeting up.
Flag
We're not supposed to root for Fiona, just revel in her divine wickedness.
Flag
It's not divine though. Fiona is beyond incompetent. It seems she's been away from the coven for most of her time as Supreme. And clearly a bunch of witches have been killed during that time. And her son-in-law is to blame for 9 deaths.

There's almost nothing to root for with Fiona and she's almost completely unsympathetic. And moreover, Zoe it seems would be a better Supreme because at least she cares about the coven instead of simply her own power.
Flag
Who says she has to care for anyone? Supreme just means that she's the most powerful witch. As such she can do whatever she wants, and she does.
Flag
After watching Sister Jude destroy a record player playing Dominique last season, and watching Kyle destroy Stevie Nicks 8-tracks, I wonder if destroying music will become a recurring gag for the show.
Flag
I hope not. Music is life . . . ;)
Flag
They do like to give nods to previous seasons. They've re-used about half the names they used in the first season now. Kyle in S3 and Kyle in S2 even wear a similar letterman jacket. S1 Kyle was hooked up with Chloe, S3 Kyle is with Zoe. Yep. Lots of nodding.
Flag
I loved it!! Poor Kyle though. He took a shower alone once, and he survived in the streets so i think he can wash his own ding a ling..
Flag
'Ax Body Spray.' I see what you did there, Price. :)
Flag
#butt is my new favorite thing since @midnight introduced it to me a couple of weeks ago.
Flag
Although it might not be a popular stance, I've been rooting for Zoe to become the supreme for awhile now. I just thought that she needed to come into her own and i think she really has now. However, I get the feeling the the supreme will be someone we least suspect or haven't even been introduced to yet. On that note, sometimes I wonder if it will even matter who the new supreme is because the of way their numbers are dwindling and the state of things it looks like something could happen which could cause witches to go extinct entirely.
Flag
Am I the only one who's thinking whoever attacked Cordelia... did it to help her? The more I think about it, the more it seems like it was a favor they did to her. She's got balls, she's got flair, and she's got more power than ever.

Just you know, burned retinas on the downside. Plus [CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK...]
Flag
That is an interesting thought, they took her sight to help her see EVERYTHING.
Flag
I cannot decide between making Marie Laveau's angry speech or Klaus's recitation of "The Poisoned Tree" my ringtone. (Also hypothetically).
Flag
"A Poison Tree"*
Flag
Zoe's decision making skills suck since chapter one, yeah I know that when it came to zombie attack she was AWESOME but apparently when it comes to dead people in general she just sucks.
Poor Misty Day! I still feel her pain! can someone please get the girl an ipod or something like that?
Marie's rant was amazing she just made my day.
Kyle doesn't even know who he is so let's treat him like a minor and keep away all people really far from his junk.
Flag
lol yeah Misty would do good with an ipod, but for some reason i feel like she would dislike "new technology"
Flag
yeah I think you are rigth... but she could get something ancient like a mp3 player or a walkman. She has being really useful she deserves more than bread and a thank you.
Flag
Price that isn't actually Meryl Streep's daughter I hope you know that lol
Flag
she is Streeps daughter her sister is Mamie
Flag
oh you're right I though Mamie was her only daughter for some reason my bad!!
Flag
I felt so bad for Misty Day (LOL) I wanted to ship her a new MP3 player and an iTunes gift card so she can have all the Stevie Nicks.
Flag
Fantastic review Price. Well done.

It was another pretty strong episode. How is the Axman corporeal now? Is Zoe that powerful that she can just conjure up folk now? Also who drinks absinthe neat?

Lily Rabe as Misty still is the best thing on the show. But Nan is still my favorite thus far.

Claudia's husband being a douche wasn't that much of a stretch but a witch hunter is interesting. Though, he doesn't seem like that much of a threat.

Questions

She went from kind of smart last week back on the dumb train this week. Why not just search the house to begin with? Granted it is a big house filled with numerous nooks and crannies but if couldn't have taken that long. But I know other dumb decisions take time away. But if you can Bing your powers over a book to release a ghost, I am pretty sure you can google power you a ghost killing spell.

No I felt, who in the world still has an 8 track? Get that girl a iPod.

Marie Laveau was pretty perfect this episode. I agree she needs to win an Emmy for that one.

I know Kyle will probably become essential at some point in time in the season. But can we just stop with the grunting until that time.
More+
Flag
The only thing I can't stand so far is Evan Peters. Maybe that will change, but this is his worst character on AHS so far. It's not even a character right now. Marie Laveau IS the best. Her and Lily Rabe are giving Jessica Lange a run for her money in the best performance department. By the way, Sarah Paulson has to be have the most annoying scream ever.
Flag
I agree with all of this. I mean they have to give Kyle something to do at some point, right? I know Ryan Murphy does on occasion (often) leave gaping holes in some plots. Kyle could conceivably be one. What is odd is that the rest of the story is pretty tight. The witches stories though kind of out there all circle around the same area. This doesn't have the randomness that last season had. The only loose end right now in the story is Kyle.

Marie is awesome, though Nan is my favorite. Angela with Marie as a character like Lily in Sister Mary Eunice last season, every scene they are in is done to perfection.

And yes, Sarah Paulson's scream is pretty annoying.
Flag
I'm also glad Madison is back. Usually, I get annoyed when characters are brought back to life, but I'll give the show a pass in that regard. Out of the two shows I'm watching on FX, I'll take this wacky show over the repetitive and drawn-out Sons of Anarchy. Yes, I'm kind of trying to get a SoA rant out of you. Those reviews haven't been fun without your Day XX of Clay being alive rants. You've been keeping up with the reviews at least?
Flag
A prequel is a bad idea, because I don't think anybody cares about the first 9. Whether it happens or not, I won't be watching.
Flag
I was keeping up with the reviews but then I gave that up as well. It just has become too predictable and infuriating. The devolution of Tara alone is enough for someone to be done with all of it. Let alone, I think every episode live has been 90 minutes. It is just way too much.

What are your thoughts on the possible prequel?
Flag
you know what pearl encrusted pistols are good for? Shooting rapist!
Then again who needs a pistol when you can flip a bus with magic.
Flag
Zoe has her own special way of making decisions. It doesn't have to make sense.

No. That old single speaker 8-track was a disgrace. Somebody should give her a CD-player and some decent speakers. Stevie's voice deserves better.

After Marie's speech, Fiona definately has her work cut out for her if she wants to keep the title of Queen (B/W)itch.

I'm not sure even Kyle knows what Kyle wants. But, yeah the older ladies should give him some space.

Oh, and thousands of thousands? They call 'em millions.
Flag
The screencap with Angela Basset with an Emmy is the best! She is so amazing... and thank you for filling us in on what the hell happened at the end... although why would that spell actually release the axeman out into society? There has to be more of an explanation hopefully! And it cannot be a coincidence that Fiona meets up with him, can it?

I tried my hand at doing my own screencaps this time, check em out here: http://mikeydislikesit.wordpress.com/2013/11/14/american-horror-story-coven-the-axeman-cometh-review/
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    Caught on Camera With Nick Cannon High Jinx
    NEW
    NBC
  •  
    500 Questions
    NEW
    ABC