We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

An American Horror Story Community
Wednesday 10:00 PM on FX

American Horror Story S03E09: "Head"

Everybody knows that Jessica Lange is a national treasure, but if that's the case then Angela Bassett is national treasure 2 BOOK OF SECRETS. Yes, I am talking in terms of art heists because Angela Bassett has stolen EVERY scene she's shared with Jessica Lange and she has done it with FLAIR and STYLE. Seriously who is even capable of stealing a scene from Jessica Lange? Question is rhetorical: Angela Bassett, that's who. Angela Bassett arrived on American Horror Story two seasons later than everyone else and she's already schooling EVERYBODY. Sorry. That is a fact, you can fact check that all the live long day, but it will always be a fact. In "Head" especially: Angela Bassett was everywhere all at once, throwing shade and side-eyes, waggling her fingers, arranging mass murders, doing tons of voodoo, and wearing SO MANY jumpsuits. Part of me is now officially MAD at Angela Bassett? If she has always been this good and this committed to over-the-top camp, why has she been depriving us of it for so long? Sure, there were a few scattered Marie Laveau-esque moments in Waiting to Exhale or What's Love Got to Do With It? but nothing to the extent that we're currently privileged to witness every week. We are truly lucky to be alive in a time when Angela Bassett can growl "sheeeeeit" at Jessica Lange while sitting on a throne of chicken bones. I never want these days to end, NOT EVER.

Guys, I can talk about Angela Bassett all day (and sometimes do), but maybe let's talk about this whole episode? "Head" was a good'un! Sort of a relaxed wheel-spinner at first until it suddenly WASN'T. I cried. This episode made me cry. Which, yes, I'm mentally unstable usually and it doesn't take much, but man, that closing montage. Prestige television, I'm telling you. Well, it's not gonna talk about itself!

We started in the woods many moons ago with a classic Americana scene of a father bonding with his child over the murder of grown women. Every boy of a certain age could relate to this scene, the scenario was as old as time itself. Blessed silver bullets, complicated rifles, adolescent anxieties, creepy old men getting in your face about killing grown women. A rite of passage, basically! But anyway, yeah, this was Young Hank, Cordelia's awful husband, out on a literal witch hunt with his pops.

Then Dina Lohan ran out of the woods and the boy knew exactly what he needed to do.

But he hesitated!

Then Dina Lohan set his dad's arm on fire! And so the dad had to shoot Dina Lohan directly in the head and then give his son an F for effort. Again, this whole scene was just a thing we could all relate to. Failing our parents, almost getting set on fire by Dina Lohan. These are the days of our lives.

Speaking of relating, I was SO relating to this woman getting her hair did when Fiona came in for another epic shade-throwing session with Marie Laveau. Look at her face! It is a perfect face & perfect expression. What I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall when Fiona and Marie Laveau are having it out. Could you imagine?

Uh, first off, look at Delphine's headless body just chilling in that cage! Fiona had arrived to return Delphine Head (which was jabbering away in that box even though heads need lungs to breathe, duh get with it, show) but it was Delphine Body which had all the 'tude. But, of course, nowhere NEAR as much 'tude as Marie Laveau.

It was basically this for like ten minutes:

In addition to returning the Delphine Head, Fiona came to humbly request an alliance between her coven and Marie Laveau's staff at Cornrow City to fight off witch hunters together. But of course she didn't realize that Marie Laveau was personally encouraging Hank's schemes, so of course Marie was NOT interested in helping Fiona.

Hahaha gosh D it, this scene was so funny. It doesn't even really matter what they said to each other, it was just a super long scene in which Angela Bassett and Jessica Lange sassed each other like champs. 

Anyway, back at the white house, this blind lady was going on yet another one of her sightless breaking sprees.

Oh Cordelia. At this point Myrtle ran in and was like, "By the way I didn't throw acid in your face" and Cordelia was like "Chill out, I know." It was already very obvious to everybody, but I'm a lot like Myrtle: Whenever my friends or family get acid thrown in their faces it's very important to me that they not think I did it. You know?

Okay, so this witch hunter organization. It's like this all-dude corporation in Atlanta run by Hank's dad, and apparently ever since Dina Lohan set his hand on fire he turned into a real suit. He basically chewed Hank out for being undercover too long and not helping to murder enough witches, but also told him he's bad at murdering witches because of the time he murdered the redhead witch in a hotel room and there were too many witnesses, who themselves had to be murdered. Oh, and the witch hunter corporation had been behind Cordelia's acid attack. So, uh, yeah. In my opinion they do not seem like good guys.

Then Myrtle invited the council over and fed them poisoned honeydew melon balls that caused them to freeze in place and then she screamed at them about how much they suck and then this happened: 

Haha scooping out human eyeballs with a melon scooper is classic Myrtle! Also, it's very disgusting. Plus it was just bad hospitality?

But it did serve a purpose: Myrtle gave Cordelia working eyes again! Partly because Myrtle felt like a mother to Cordelia, but probably also partly because she was tired of Cordelia breaking all of her stuff.

Oh, and in case you were wondering what became of the rest of the councilmembers:

Myrtle is a maniac, apparently! I mean we knew she was a colorful, over-the-top rascal of a character, but I really had no idea she was so fond of dismemberment and acid baths! Fair enough.

Anyway, then Cordelia arrived home from having just gotten her ass handed to her by Marie Laveau, so Myrtle should've known that she couldn't step to that. Yet argue they did.

But I DID love these wry smiles they exchanged after Cordelia yelled at them to stop fighting. It's like they realized that fighting was at the basis of their friendship and now they were essentially buds again.

I loved this. An alliance of enemies was beginning to form!

This shot was amazing: Two witch girls sashaying up a hospital corridor while one openly smoked a cigarette. First of all, they were very inconspicuous. Nobody would have ever suspected they were witches! Second of all, it looked like the hospital changed all its faulty lightbulbs, which was a relief. Third of all, OF COURSE this shot ended with the camera flipping upside down. I know that cameras are inanimate objects but maybe sometimes cameras have drug problems? The ones on this show seem to.

Perhaps I misread the events of last week. I thought that Luke had been murdered by a witch hunter's bullet and Misty Day had brought him back to life, but there's a chance he hadn't been fully murdered and was now recovering the old fashioned way. But whatever the case, he was in a coma and that was NOT going to stop the girls from visiting their favorite neighbor hunk.

Of course his mom was all uptight about it, but the witches pled their case. Specifically they established that Nan, as a clairvoyant, could speak to Luke in his coma. This skill really came in handy when he (via Nan) asked his mother to sing an old lullaby to him.

Did you know that Patti Lupone is a famous singer? Patti Lupone is a famous singer. But this scene mostly just called for her to tearfully warble a little ditty yet it was still very moving. VERY moving. I'm not sure we're supposed to care all that much about these two characters, but there must've been runtime to fill, and if that meant Patti Lupone singing over a hunk's comatose body, then so be it. Seemed like a good creative decision to me. Also I cried, because I AM A HUMAN BEING sometimes.

I really and truly loved this subplot: Marie Laveau had instructed Queenie to destroy Delphine Head in a BBQ pit or whatever (which Delphine Head was surprisingly stoked about), but Queenie took it upon herself to first prop Delphine Head up in front of the TV and make her watch SO MANY classic black movies. RootsThe Color Purple, even B.A.P.s! It honestly did not sound like a bad deal to me. Throw Crooklyn in there and we have a deal.

But of course Delphine Head was not interested in having her worldview changed, so she just closed her eyes and nattered away. Ugh, typical Delphine Head.

Meanwhile Hank's day was just getting worse. After his dad tore him a new one down at the witch hunter corporation headquarters, suddenly Marie Laveau was hassling him to get to killing witches also. Which meant she interrupted his delicious Chinese food dinner to break his bones and stab his body via a voodoo doll. Then a rando dude ran into the room and put Hank on the phone with her and he agreed to kill everybody that night. What a tough day, poor Hank. Just kidding, Hank is garbage.

THEN he went back to the coven to try and win Cordelia back (?), but she was too busy bringing house plants back to life with Misty Day (LOL) and she told him to GTFO basically. So he grabbed his cardboard box and got growled at by some random dog Fiona had bought to keep the house safe. I'm trying to think of a good joke to tie together the presence of a female dog and a house full of mean women, but I'm drawing a blank oh well.

This was crazy:

OH NO, KYLE! I mean, I do not like to see animals harmed, but on the other hand Fiona had owned that dog no more than ten minutes and it had been suddenly murdered by a frankenstein hunk and that is, to me, hilarious. Sad and upsetting, but also I'm laughing? Haha, oh Kyle.

Meanwhile, Nan had won over Luke's mom because suddenly Luke's mom wanted to be besties and she'd even bought Nan tons of snacks from the vending machine. See, people CAN change!

Unfortunately, while in his coma Luke had talked to God and found out that his mother had murdered his father. She had murdered his father WITH BEES.

He had been cheating on her with a lady from her book club so she snuck bees into his car and then stood nearby re-locking his doors when he tried to escape. THE PERFECT MURDER.

Aw, poor Luke's dad. But yeah, after Nan said all this out loud, suffice it to say, this burgeoning friendship was over.

But honestly maybe Nan should've probably already known this stuff? Man, psychic powers are so unpredictable and at the whims of late-season-story-reveals sometimes.

Oh, guess whose brain Fiona fixed?

Kyle can speak proper English now! Fiona claimed she'd done some spring cleaning in his brain because she needed someone to play cards with and also be the new attack dog, but did it seem like Zoe and Madison were disappointed that he wasn't just some dumb sex animal anymore? Deal with it, ladies. Some of us have feelings too.

Um, oh man. This part. Okay, so the closing montage was legit powerful and this dumb recap won't do it justice so make sure you actually watch it. But the setup was this: Queenie decided to give Delphine Head one last chance to accept black people, and to do that she put on some very affecting soul music which continued to play as Hank busted into the salon and murdered everybody.

He murdered tons of Marie Laveau's henchmen, but also THIS lady:

WHO WAS MACHETE LADY? Why was she not a regular character?? Well, she's dead now.

This was upsetting:

NOOOOOOOOO. Not Queenie!! She did NOT deserve that!

And then Hank cornered Marie Laveau, who arguably DID deserve that, and it seemed like she'd suddenly realized the extent of her voodoo defense powers (i.e., that she had none). Fortunately for Marie Laveau, Queenie still had just enough life left in her and just enough moxie to do something about it.

AMAZING. Queenie killed the bad guy! Except OH NO. Is she alive? Is she dead? I don't fully know the rules of Queenie's abilities, but I have to assume she's probably alive? This episode didn't really dwell on her fate, so that means she's probably alive. I don't know. Predicting what will happen on this show seems plum foolish. No matter what Queenie's fate is, I was crying, especially when we saw that Delphine Head had seemed to finally come around.

But the angst wasn't over yet. Even Hank's a-hole father was pretty sad about that massacre.

Except, were those photographs he had of his son's crime scene? So was that a flash-forward or something? Or do corporate witch hunters have some kind of technology we don't know about?

Also, then Luke woke up from his coma.

...And his mother immediately tried to smother him! Oh no, not Luke! 

But if the preceding five minutes were almost too upsetting to bear, then this final beat hopefully helped make up for it:

YESSSS. Fiona and Marie Laveau teaming UPPPP. They are enemies, sure, but nothing quite thrills me like two enemies temporarily joining forces. That's just GOOD and FUN and EXCITING television. The witch hunters will be sending a small army so it makes sense that the coven and the voodoos will need each other. And I don't mean to titillate you beyond belief, but there are FOUR episodes left. That is A LOT of time for carnage, drama, twists, and pay-offs. It never ceases to shock me how much this season has crammed into each episode, but I like it. Keep shocking me, show. Keep making me cry. Keep making me feel things in general. And above all else, keep giving us the gift of Angela Bassett. 

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION, EMMY VOTERS

K bye.

QUESTIONS

... Did Queenie survive the massacre?

... Will Delphine Head team up with Delphine Body to create Delphine Black Panther Warrioress?

... How exactly will Kyle protect the coven?

... Is B.A.P.s better than Monster's Ball?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 1/13/2016

Season 5 : Episode 12

213 Comments
Comments (213)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
"Everybody knows that Jessica Lange is a national treasure, but if that's the case then Angela Bassett is national treasure 2 BOOK OF SECRETS."

WOOO!!! FINALLY! Angie gets her NT badge. That's some good lookin' out Price...I knew you'd come around.

"Then Dina Lohan ran out of the woods and the boy knew exactly what he needed to do."

HA!

"Okay, so this witch hunter organization."

This remind anybody else of Wolfram & Hart? I'll add this to my Fiona and Axeman group of not being my favourite arcs.

"But of course Delphine Head was not interested in having her worldview changed, so she just closed her eyes and nattered away."

I know she's probably mad that Queenie double crossed her and as a result has had a change of heart, but Delphine fought this a lot more than I thought she would...she was showing such signs of growth and elightenment. Though I suppose being beheaded would jade even the best of us.

That said, Cathy Bates mouthing the words, "My people"...HILARIOUS!

"YESSSS. Fiona and Marie Laveau teaming UPPPP."

I wouldn't have predicted this at the start of the season, mostly because I never would have predicted Wolfram & Hart also managed hedge funds. But if that means Fiona and Marie Laveau join forces to create a witchy Voltron...I can totally accept ridiculous witch hunters.
More+
Flag
I remember Patti Lupone from the ABC show, Life Goes On but wasn't Jamie Brewer also in that? I remember the actor who played the character Corky (Patti's son on the show) had a girlfriend . Didn't Jamie Brewer play that character?
Flag
I think Jamie Brewer is much too young to have been on Life Goes On, unless she was an infant on show. She's around 26, and the guy that played Corky was born in 1965.

Also, her IMDB doesn't list much else besides AHS.
Flag
this show is getting so boring and stupid, honestly the opening is the scariest part, and is completely irrelevant to anything going on, i thought those black hood guys would be the hunters, but nooooo its normal people who just hunt witches with guns? wtf. Also playing vegas music while burning a witch in the middle of the day? come on... don't bother even trying to make it scary the show isn't called american "Horror" story or anything, ya and how about we throw an awkward 3 way relationship in there again, cuz you know that didn't ruin the consistency of season 2 or anything. BUT WAIT! there's more, lets take Kathy Bates, a terrific actor that can bring chills through your bones, and demote her to a constant torture victim with remorse, bravo! you've earned a new title! American Weirdness Story, because the only part of this season that was consistent with the other seasons are the random weirdness, which really worked in a horror show! fortunately AWS is almost finished, and i can only hope that season 4 will bring back the equal horror to weirdness level that made me love this show.
Flag
I love that show
Flag
When Queenie went down the whole world trembled.
Flag
This was a great episode. I had no idea Patti LuPone was a singer (also, she kinda looks like my friend's mom--weird, right?).

It was nice to see Nan and Luke's mom start to bond, but then it quickly went to Hell when it came out that Luke's mom murdered his dad. WORSE, she smothered Luke! Thanks very much, AHS!
Flag
Price, there's one glaring yet small error in your awesome, awesomely glorious Angela Bassett love fest posting. Since it's two days after the party, it's not been fixed, and I don't see that anybody else has called you out on it, allow me to elaborate.

Approximately a third of the way into your recap you stated:

"Anyway, then Cordelia (sic) arrived home from having just gotten her ass handed to her by Marie Laveau, so Myrtle should've known that she couldn't step to that. Yet argue they did."

That should be Fiona there.
Flag
I really don't see how Anglea Bassett is better than any other, actually I even dislike her - she's kind of boring, sitting all the time in her salon and turning her white eye. and no wonder she got no Golden Globe nominee - she's ok, she's great, but so is all other characters
Flag
And you don't recognize sublime acting when you see it. Maybe Sesame Street is more your speed?
Flag
Bless you for that Angela Bassett rant. It was everything I needed.
Flag
Price, you forgot Mandingo. :)
Flag
On the FrankenKyle storyline:

There's a coven parallel with Delphine's House of Horrors. The witches kept Kyle locked up in a bedroom and used him for their (sexual) amusement. Didn't Delphine do the same thing (keep slaves locked in an attic for her personal amusement)?

Also, I was wondering if Kyle's killing the dog was a reference to Lenny from Mice and Men. I doubt it was coincidence, since it looked like he was trying to pet the dog when he snapped its neck. I wonder if that's a foreshadowing to mean that the witches are going to have to kill Kyle in order to save him.
Flag
Fiona: "Do you know why I prefer female dogs over male?"
Hank: "Cause' bitches stick together?" XD

I don't know why, but Hank was sort of "growing" on me. Never really having a choice of his own, a free will, always in control by his father and trying to win his affection and meeting his dad's requirements. I think he really loved Cordelia, after all he agreed to have a baby with her and by killing the vodoo tribe he tried to redeem himself in a very dark, sick and twisted way to protect her. I would've loved to see Cordelia to find it in her heart to forgive him, well... after he payed for all the horrible things he did (killing all those witches, planing to destroy the coven and all that stuff). But I guess you can't have it all...

R.I.P Hank

By the way, does anyone have the feeling that by the end of the season the coven will be destroyed, whether from inside or the forces surrounding them?
Flag
exactly what I thought!
Flag
didn't know Myrtle could be such a crazy badass! and I need to get me a talking Delphine head!
Flag
This extreme love for Angela Bassett seems to be a lil' bit exaggerated. She doesn't top Jessica Lange. She's very good, though (and looks surprisingly young; that makeup is incredible or maybe she really is a voodoo witch).
Flag
The author is pretty clear, he said they are both national treasures not that one tops the other as an actress. IMHO, I love Jessica but Angela topped her in the 'Head' episode. Most definitely. The "shhhhiet" line alone takes the cake. But Jessica took the crown in their first meeting with the "two shit hole salons" line. They are so equally matched that its a treat to watch them onscreen together.
Flag
Oh, really, he didn't say that? Then please read this quote and explain its meaning:
"Yes, I am talking in terms of art heists because Angela Bassett has stolen EVERY scene she's shared with Jessica Lange and she has done it with FLAIR and STYLE. Seriously who is even capable of stealing a scene from Jessica Lange? Question is rhetorical: Angela Bassett, that's who. Angela Bassett arrived on American Horror Story two seasons later than everyone else and she's already schooling EVERYBODY."
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
agree, Kathy Bates is the one who got me more.
Flag
DAMNIT... Will somebody please tell me if the hunter used some sort of special holy silver bullets that had been "blessed" If this is the case, the Queenie is DEAD, but if AHS has shown us anything, she'll come back from the dead more witch than ever
Flag
Well first of all, it wasn't Luke who was revived by Misty Day, it was his mom who was killed in the last episode, he was only hurt.
2nd, I think Queenie must be alive, since her ability works by transfering whatever she does to herself to another person's body, I have to assume that's what happened to the bullet on Hank's head, so she must be just shot on the stomach and could still live.
I think this was the best episode so far, can't wait til January!!
Flag
I thought the bullets were "blessed" or whatever... Wouldn't that make Queenie's ability useless?
Flag
Oh didn't thought about that. Mmmm maybe... Jury is still out.
Flag
If Queenie used the hunter's gun then she put a blessed silver bullet specially designed to kill witches, so I'm guessing it might counter her ability
Flag
The hunter at the beginning of the episode looked like Weaver from falling Skies.
Flag
This was a cool episode, but pretty much like every episode this season there are some frustrating problems as well. I'm just going to talk about the problems as the always awesome Price laid out all the great moments above in the photo recap.

Mainly, totally leaving Queenie out of the final frames, she does something as heroic as eating a bullet and you don't even let us see if she is still alive? Her powers dictate that she should be alive from the head shot, but then Hank also shot her so she likely is bleeding out from that. I refuse to believe the head shot hurt her after watching her cut her own throat, dip hands in boiling grease, and dip hands in acid and heal instantly. What I don't understand is why she had to crawl and look at Hank first? She didn't need to look at Myrtle to do the acid burn on her hands, so why need to look at Hank? plot holes... Regardless, Queenie is awesome and has earned more screen time credit than just leaving us at that abrupt scene change warranted, especially considering that we jump to a scene that has to be what days later of the Witch Hunters looking at the crime scene photos of Hank dead body. Bull shit, you could have shown her body laid dead in the crime scene photos or Queenie in the hospital (exactly where Nan and crew went to), which brings me to...

Nan and Luke and his crazy mom. They represent the least interesting aspect of the show. I literally don't want any time wasted concerning any of them. Nan in and of herself is cool, but being shoehorned in with the bible pumpers is boring and doesn't advance the overall story of the show at all. It all just comes off as "Let's give Nan a few minutes doing something since she is a witch on the show too". Really, Nan time would be better spent hanging with Cordelia, Misty Day, and Myrtle. At least there she could serve to advance the overall story some, for instance, maybe we could use some spying on Myrtle as she does seem a bit off-kilter and I can't help but wonder if Delia 'seer' abilities were purposefully taken away by Myrtle for some reason. Nan helping to advance that aspect, or just you know, being a good student would be time better spent. And then, again, instead of letting us know if a meaningful character (Queenie) lived or not, we are treated to watching a totally useless character (Luke) and accompanying subplot storyline die. So, what exactly did you want me to take way from all this Mr Murphy? I'm guessing that I should be thankful that I don't have to watch that boring portion of the show anymore.

I really can't shake the feeling that the teenage witches are all just filler. I don't care about any of them with the exception of Queenie, they are all pretty horrible people. The adult witches are the best aspects of the show and are the only ones that really drive the storyline forward. Yeah yeah, one of the young one will be the next Supreme (I'm hoping for Misty Day at this point honestly), but they really are pointless and inconsistent in character and have really left me not caring about them at all. With the exception of Nan and Queenie, the young witches pretty much represent the worst of what our society has to offer today actually. Brash, dumb, no foresight, self centered, I could really do without them these last 4 episodes. I don't think it's just me either, because despite all the witches knowing that Witch Hunters are actively attacking them, not Cordelia, Myrtle, or Fiona seem to care about the young witches prancing about the freaking town doing whatever they want, they aren't being escorted by those albino guys or any adults and they aren't being forced to stay inside for their own darn safety. I'm hoping they get captured by the WH (witch Hunters).

Really? I despise mid-season finales, why the networks feel that tv viewers all of a sudden stop watching tv for a month because of a freaking holiday is beyond me. So now we wait a month to find out what happens yippey. Thank goodness for Netflix, at least they know that the audience likes to watch tv on their own time, not when some stuffy suit decides when all of America should watch tv. Sheesh, next the suits are going to force me to eat my veggies (joke, I like veggies... and meat) lol
More+
Flag
She did need to look at Myrtle first, she peeked around the corner, probably "locked on" to her and then turned back around to burn her hand. She probably has to make eye contact at least initially with intent before using her powers. It's probably why the bullet affected her when Hank shot her in the stomach. She wasn't ready for it. I just hope Marie got around to boosting her powers as Queenie said she would in the last episode.
Flag
Didn't they say they new they were being hunted because the bullets were silver and "blessed"? If so, then when Queenie picked up the hunter's gun, then she shot herself with a bullet designed to kill withes, so I'm guessing she is dead, but Angela Basset will bring her back to life. I swear if the hero who saved the Voodoo Priestess is the ONLY one who doesn't get resurrected, then they need to have an extremely good excuse for why not... The Voodoo queen would be besties with Queenie (that was an interesting sentence to type)
Flag
Are we going to ignore that God talked to Luke while he was in a coma? Is that going to be addressed? He had a conversation with GOD... like.... what?
Flag
No, Nan and Luke shared a connection and Luke was able to kinda tune in to her clairvoyance. I'm pretty sure he took advantage of this to manipulate her by saying God hated her and stuff, but it backfired
Flag
This season is just getting worse and worse. Each season created and followed its own rules, and this one keeps making them up as we go along.

Here we are at Episode 9 still unaware of what dead or alive is, and left with a whole month before any answers. Episodes have been backtracking and looping on another to rebuild direction, and with 3 (maybe 4) episodes left, (in truth only 1-2, they always do big bang then have 2-3 episodes to close out the story), that means the whole damn story has been about the 2 covens vs the which hunters.

At least seasons one and two had flow.. and this third season isn't horrible, but it's terribly disjointed. I feel like the writers regretted saying in the first season they didn't want to do vampires, because this entire year has just been a twilight rewrite.
Flag
I agree with everything except the last bit about this season being a twilight rewrite, though I do get where you are coming from considering the two young witches are all fawning over zombie boy. There really has been an insane amount of plot holes this season. I really thought Coven was going to be my favorite, I love witches! but at the end of the day Season 1 is hands down the scariest and best fitting season given the title of the show. I'm still holding out hope that some things will turn this season around, and it has had it's awesome moments, of gore and overall wtf.
Flag
so true, every season has been weird so far, but this one wasn't scary, and without the scariness it's just awkward to watch.
Flag
umm because bitches stick together?
Flag
first i wondered, why they called this episode HEAD, but i get it..
*First you have Delphine
*Then you have the Head of the Organisation with the burned hand
* Woman giving head to Lukes dad...

QUEENI!!! Hope she is not dead..can't tell with her powers...i mean she shot her brains out and if she is a voodoodol, wouldnt she just get up after being shot..
The only thing that annoyed me in that horrible scene was actually Marie.
Are you telling me that she didn't hear all that screaming and shooting from the back where she was???
I wondered also what was going to happen to the head now, but i read somewhere a small interview of Ryan Murphy and they are going to solve that issue...
Every scene and every word is just awesome in the season...
Loved Nan with Luke in the hospital, but felt bad for Luke...moving next to the wishes did him not good. Now he is dead...he was so cute!! bad Ryan!!!
The scenes between Marie and Fionna, were always great, but now they are in the same house...this is going to be AWESOME!!! War is starting...
More+
Flag
don't forget Queenie and Hank taking a Head shot.
Flag
Seriously doubt Delphine Head will have a change of heart after the Black History binge-watching. If anything, she'll just transform her overwhelming guilt with more denial and refocus her self-hatred on 'the darkies'.

Oh, and being Black myself, is it wrong that I GIDDILY sang 'Dixieland' alongside Delphine???
Flag
I did too. I thought it was hilarious, not that I condone such things, but that she is so foolishly lost and sadly even that there are people actually alive today just as ignorant as her.
Flag
I'm already bored with the whole witch hunter thing.
Flag
'God damn it! Would people please not move things, some of us are blind!'
Flag
Hank most definitely is the worst witch hunter ever. It's a pity his father didn't accept this instantly after the first incident in the woods and try to wean him away from the family business and into a more suitable and normal profession. Oh well.

I just hope we get to learn a lot more about this group, their history, and most importantly, why they have a massive grudge towards witches and magic in general. I hope there's a decent explanation, but the open-endedness of some of the plots American Horror Story left hanging the pervious two seasons has me worried that it might not be explained.

Anyway, did anyone else sort of feel sorry for Hank in this episode? Marie torturing him was quite horrific (and I assume this is what made him decide to go and massacre the voodoo witches first over the coven), a disapproving father always gains sympathy, and he actually loved Cordelia! Needless to say this episode really changed my perspective of him, and I was very sympathetic towards the character in the end.
Flag
Yes, in the end it was his love to Cordelia that drived his actions. He could never kill Cordelia, so he massacred the entire voodoo coven.
Flag
I hope Queenie has died. After her betrayal of the coven, it was inevitable that she would meet an unfortunate end at some stage anyway. Plus if she's alive this season of American Horror Story would have successfully brought so many character back to life that whenever someone 'dies' in the series from hear on out will not have any emotional effect on my because I'll assume they be alive again next week.
Flag
Queenie wouldn't be dead from the head shot, but possibly from the gut shot Hank gave her. Too many people came back from death long before Queenie (if thats the case) so I felt that way after Madison and Myrtle came back, it's just the status quo with witches. No wonder the witch hunters are still in business, damn girls just wont stay in the dirt. Hmm if the bullets are blessed I reckon death could finally be permanent for Queenie head shot or gut shot, darn I didn't think about that.
Flag
she shot herself with a silver bullet, if the show has consistancy.... she's dead.
Flag
I used to have a recurring nightmare throughout my teenage years, where I was frozen to a chair and a faceless person scooped out my eyes with a spoon. Something tells me, after this episodes, those nightmares will be making a comeback. *Shudder*

Flag
1. I kind of doubt that Queenie is alive, whether the bullets were blessed or not. I think the first bullet wound to her gut may have been fatal. If she is alive though that would be great. That last montage had me tearing up.

2. If luke is dead will he just be brought back to life by Misty Day? It seems like everyone else has been anyway.

3. I HATE seeing animals die on screen. Even if hunky Evan Peters is the culprit.
Flag
Queenie B dead. I think. Precious has been credited as "special guest star" all season, and I think we now know why...
Flag
Your recaps are NOT dumb! They are awesome. They make me laugh out loud at least once (usually more than that) and I look forward to reading them!

• I have a feeling Queenie survived.
  • Someone should be able to put Delphine back together (Misty Day perhaps? LOL). If not, I guess she'll be the female version of the headless horseman.
Flag
They are dumb.
Flag
So...looks like Marie Laveau's dark magic isn't as strong and efficient as we thought...otherwise she wouldn't have to appeal to a profissional witch hunter to kill the Salem's witches
Flag
I think they are going to put Delphine head on Queenies body.

Flag
I was thinking the same thing. Delphine Head would be sooo pissed.
Flag
Great!
Flag
I like the scenes set in the hair salon. Everyone looks so happy. Queenie was smiling, and she's so pretty when she smiles. Marie is always smiling and seems to enjoy being there. It's just such a nice contrast to life in the coven. No one seems happy there.
Flag
very good point!
Flag
i think queenie may be dead. when she shot the bullet in her mouth she slumped over like she was dead. i know her witch ability allows her to harm herself without dying or getting hurt but im pretty sure the gun she used was one of Hanks and those were blessed anti-witch bullets in that gun which might nullify her powers.
Flag
If The bullet was blessed and nullified her powers, then how could shooting herself in the head have had the desired effect on hank?
Flag
thats a good point.
Flag
right, all that just occured to me as well about the bullest being blessed and canceling out witch powers.
Flag
I know. I hope she isn't though.
Flag
I hate mid-season finales!! Why? Because we now have to wait 4 weeks to find out what happens next!
I also love/hate Ryan Murphy: love because, man, what a series!!!; hate, because why the hell only 13 freaking episodes?!?!?! The man is a sadist!!!!
That said, I've said it before and I'll say it again: Give Angela Bassett ALL the Emmys.
I agree with Price, why has she been depriving us of her badassness for so long?!?!?
Hank: Good riddance!!!
Queenie: well, death really doesn't seem to stick here, so we'll see.
Oh, and I'm throwing away the damn melon baller; just in case.
Flag
it's not mid season. The big bang comes next episode (4 weeks) with 2-3 episodes to close out the story. Horrible horrible planning

Flag
It's mid season in that all shows (worth watching anyway) stop airing for the month of Dec due to holidays and networks deeming that ratings will drop during holidays because that's what happened back in the 80s so it must still happen now.
Flag
lol. Just when I thought my years of therapy had banished my fear of kitchen utensils.
Flag
How did Delphine's body know there were flies a-buzzin'?
Flag
They were probably biting her, don't you think?
Flag
I guess! ;)
Flag
My take on New guard dog....So with Frankenkyle having a functional brain now and being a dude he's 1. Not easy to kill, 2. Not a natural target for witch hunters and 3. He has super strength right? Like hulk mad kinda strength?
Flag
Im wondering if blessed bullets wouldn't take him down just as easily though, and on this show, a head shot doesn't seem to be necessary to kill a zombie anyway as we saw when the zombies attacked the coven.
Flag
Right exactly. He's not a witch so the hunters regular weapons wouldn't be as effective. So he could take down a few of them before they manage to bring him down... he's a meat shield.
Flag
I'm assuming Queenie's alive, being shot in the stomach once like that in this day and age is likely not fatal, plus it's tv, plus they're witches, so I'm pretty optimistic. From what we've seen I think Queenie needs to do harm to herself for her power to work, so if someone harms her then she's like anyone else, at least that's what I'm assuming from what we've seen.
Flag
Except it was a silver bullet. She might be a goner…for now.
Flag
January 8 will be a veeeryy loooongg wait...ughh

Anyway, great recap Price, as always. (1) I don't think so. As others have mentioned, blessed silver bullets do the trick. (2) That head. I hope the Corp. didn't get their hands on Delphine's head. (3) He's a guard dog. To replace the one he broke. (4) No idea :P

Also, I'm very curious about the 'deal with the devil' plot coming after the break. I'm thinking it would be Fiona trying to stave off death as usual. But it could be anyone at this point.

Also, I'd like to agree with others that the lines in this episode, as always, superb :D
Flag
I hope Queenie isn't dead. I want her to live to appreciate the change she made in Delphine.
Flag
Oh and to my surprise I discovered that I am not quite desensitised to violence yet (and I watch The Walking Dead) I literally squealed when 'Auntie Myrtle' scooped out those eyeballs.

Did anyone else get a little 'twinge' when they saw Jessica Lange & Evan Peters playing cards together? I couldn't help but think of how their character's related to each other in previous seasons and it made that moment heart-warming

Flag
Definitely. Took me right back to Kit befriending Sister Jude. Usually things are so different you don't have a lot of those moments, which is good, but this one made me smile.
Flag
I wish they would print a book of all the season 3 one liners to go with the dvd. The writers are on fire! My favourite still has to be "If Madison is dead. It's because she offered the grim reaper a hand-job' BUT 'Because bitches stick together' is a VERY close contender! :-)
<3 this show so much!
Flag
I hate to say it, but I had a little sympathy for Hank. Lots of analogy to Supernatural (even using "Hunters" as the name)...wonder if it's in the same universe - I digress. The intro made us see he wasn't interested as a young boy in being a hunter, but wanted to please his father. When he is called to headquarters, he recited their "creed" without emotion, just a memorized bit. Then tried to redeem himself in a way by going after the Voodoo Mojo Hair and Nail Palace. To protect Delia mainly, but still - it was in defiance of his dad's wishes. So while I am not a fan of his, I have some sympathy for him - which is exactly what the show intended. Nice job, show!

Made me cry from laughing once again Price. These are "priceless". Oh crap. You're sticking pins in my voodoo doll now, aren't you?
Flag
I think he went after the Voodoo Nail and Hair Palace (lol) because if he killed Marie, she wouldn't be able to voodoo a pin through his heart.
Flag
Ah yes, true. But that is also avoided if he kills the rest of the witches including Delia. So he took the other option - because I am quite sure they dropped enough hints that he inadvertently fell in love with her.
Flag
I do think that's obvious.
Flag
Yes - I wasn't insinuating that was a deep plot point. You made it sound Hank acted totally out of self-preservation. I disagree. I think he intended to spare Cordelia by killing his benefactor.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I know that maybe I´m the only one that think this: I felt sorry for Hank...I know he was a moron, but I really think he loved Cordelia, and what a shit life he had lived... and don´t hate me, but in that scene I want him to shoot Marie...in this world, with Misty around that hadn´t been so much trouble, you know, and after how she had played with the lives os the covenant girls I think she deserves it...nothing a bit of swamp mud couldn´t fix, you know, but...
I´m looking forward the war with the witches hunters, I´m loving this season so much, but the catfights and the sassy talk between Marie and Fiona is getting repetitive
I love Queenie character, but I hope she is dead, if there aren´t consequences of what is happening what´s the point?
It´s just my opinion.
(sorry for my English)
Flag
oops I 'liked' the comment above when I meant to 'like' this one.

You are not alone. I too am a big sap. Poor kid was doomed from the moment he was born (he seems to be the season 3 version of Tate - Poor little psychopath)
Flag
I've no sympathy for Hank, every dog has his day but that doesn't change him from being what he is, a cold blooded murderer. Sheesh, next you guys are going to have sympathy for Hilter because guess what, some chick loved him and he loved her right back. In my eyes that doesn't change the fact that he is a monster that got off on killing a specific subset of people.
Flag
Forgot to mention that he also had sex with the red-headed witch before he killed her.
Flag
I LOVE THIS SHOW. That's it.
Flag
Amen. Can't wait until the dvd comes out so I can have a season 3 marathon. I'm going to have a season 2 marathon over the Christmas holidays.
Flag
The only disagreement I have is that I felt that Zoe wasn't disappointed that Kyle was getting smarter, only Madison was. Zoe just looked more shocked than anything. Madison was already having issues with how Kyle felt for Zoe, and I'm sure him having a better working brain isn't going to help that issue.
Flag
I think Queenie is dead I mean the bullet was "blessed" (?) and I guess she is not inmortal so yeah I vote for dead.
I'm so thrilled cause Fiona and Marie teaming up is like a dream come true! So much atittude in one place is amazing and delightful and can't wait for the next episode.
Kyle had a much needed upgrade he couldn't just be killing dogs and learning how to read at turtle speed. And yeah the girls were bummed! so funny!
And "used to be in a coma hunk is dead"? why show? why you hate hunks?
Flag
Yeah, the blessed bullets must be used so that the witches can't be resurrected.
Flag
My, oh my, oh my. Those outfits! Whoever dressed the girls tonight deserves the highest award. All three outfits did what they did to perfection.
But Zoe and Madison slinking down the hospital corridor was indescribable. In principle they were both perfectly modestly covered. But they weren't, oh no they weren't. Right there, on the fine line, between elegant and slutty. Slinky, slinky, slinky. Oh, my!

I know smoking is bad and you shouldn't encourage it. But a cigarette is one hell of a prop.

There was some other good stuff that happened tonight. Like the schools first lesson. That we've seen, at least. But it kind of got overwhelmed.
Flag
I LOVE Madison's fur hat. Not strictly necessary given that she's a) wearing sheer lace; and b) in a subtropical climate. But sooo stylish.
Flag
"Not strictly necessary"? Yes, I suppose you could say that. :-)
I don't think 'necessary' was what they were going for.
What ever it was, it worked beautifully.
Flag
I'm from Skandinavia. Tall, skinny blondes is kind of what we do here, so I admit, I'm biased. But that was exceptional.

Your praise of Angela Basset is acurate and well deserved.
That first paragraf is beautiful.
However, for all Maries epic ranting, Fiona just has to stand there and smirk, and I melt.

"We are truly lucky to be alive in a time when Angela Bassett can growl "sheeeeeit" at Jessica Lange while sitting on a throne of chicken bones."
That is so true.
"Sassing each other like champs". I bet Jessica and Angela have a lot of fun, doing those scenes together.

One could say that Kyle has gotten a raw deal on this show. Being innocently torn to pieces and all that.
He is being kept as a sex-toy by two very sexy young ladies, and now, apparently he has been given additional training a guard dog.
It may not be ideal, but I can think of worse fates.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members