An American Horror Story Community
Wednesday 10:00 PM on FX

Hey, things that go bump in the night, unexplained phenomena, and gross perverts, I've got some good news! The television show about your life, FX's American Horror Story, has been renewed for a fourth season. The network is asking for another 13 episodes to air sometime in 2014. 

Of course the big question is, "Where will Season 4 take place, and what will it be about?" Well, you'll have to ask co-creator Ryan Murphy, because absolutely zero specifics accompanied the announcement. No casting details were mentioned either, but Jessica Lange has expressed interest in doing one more season of the show, and Connie Britton recently said she'd be down with returning to the show.

American Horror Story: Coven is currently four episodes into its third season (Episode 5 airs tonight) and is enjoying the most-watched season of the series' run. Coven is averaging 7.74 million viewers with time-shifted viewing factored in. 

So where should Season 4 take place? American Horror Story: NBC? American Horror Story: CanadaAmerican Horror Story: Westeros? Let's hear some of your suggestions in the comments.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 1/13/2016

Season 5 : Episode 12

101 Comments
Comments (101)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Season 4 should deal w/ urban and traditional myths such as mothman, Bigfoot, Lock Ness monster, sewer alligators, the Jersey Devil, Wendigo, hidebehinds, the Poe Lick Monster, etc...Jessica could be the proprietor of a hotel-getaway somewhere in some obscure rural, mountainous, and woodsy location and the rest of the cast could be the tourists and staff who all fall prey to these creatures.
Flag
me loves!!
Flag
AHS - Westeros? I'm down for that! LOL!!!
Flag
No to the Zombie plotline. We already have The Walking Dead. That's enough!

What we need is to let Ryan Murphy decide because I think he came up with the greatest ideas so far.
Flag
I agree... I completely trust in the artistic talent with this series to come up with something new each season which will be completely amazing, different and original.

There's only a couple of shows I can say that when it involves just one person's artistic vision.
Flag
I'd definitely like to see a Medieval era set horror story
Flag
definitely 1, but they are all great
Flag
A Haunted 60s MOVIE studio
Flag
I am really happy that there's going to be a season 4 (even though no surprise there) but I am really curious what's the story is going to be about. I mean, they already tackled with Ghosts, Insane/matters of the mind , Witches/zombies? ... what are they going to do next? Whatever it is I am sure it will be great! As casting is concerned I am just happy Jessica Lange will remain in the show for a fourth season and Connie Britton is always welcomed. If Jessica Lange does indeed depart from the show after season four, I strongly believe that they shouldn't have any further seasons cause let's not kid ourselves, she is the main attraction for the entire series!
Flag
AHS: Fairytale
Flag
the fact is... they haven't touch vampires yet... don't want to alarm anyone, but this is a possibility...

Some kind of treasure hunting could be cool, maybe mummy related?
Flag
There is a lot of vampire stories out there, and 3 current vampire centric series. How about a werewolf story? AHS could tell a very dark story. I haven't seen a gooddark werewolf story, since Fox's short lived Werewolf back in the late 80s.
Flag
The good thing is that they can do any theme, as it has been proved, and it will be great! I'm pretty sure they can do something vampire related that has nothing to do with what we already know. But I am fine with werewolves too!
Flag
Oh i'm sure they could. And i would definitely watch it. This season has made me a fan for life!
Flag
I was thinking about the same thing. Maybe they will do something with vampires? But at the same time it's a bit lame because everybody is doing vampires.

Flag
Ryan says he'll never do a season about vampires or werewolves.
Flag
changed my mind, no cross fingers - if somebody can make a credible vampire horror story, that is AHS!! Out with the teenager cuties!! It's ok if they don't do it,, because we are all a tiny bit tired of vampires by now, but just imagine what they could do. I'm thinking of that film "Let me in", but with a lot more twists.
Flag
cross fingers
Flag
I personally thinks season 1 was nothing in compare to season 2.But as you see everyone has his own opinion.I'm happy that there's gonna be a new season! Idea for the fourth season?I don't know,something supernatural again,offcourse!Maybe heaven-hell or so...
Flag
so agree…i really think they had no idea what they could do until sometime in the middle of season 1…season 2 was so scary i couldn't watch it if i was alone in the house!!
Flag
Yeah season 2 was amazing!! I really like Jessica Lange,she plays her roles incredibly good!
Flag
AHS : Wendigo? Do it as a period horror focused on some of the nasty native American folklore?
Flag
I vote for American Horror Story: DMV.
Flag
Maybe Murphy can do AHS: University where it's a haunted college campus or AHS: Carnival where the carnies are on - the - road killers or something. Or maybe we can get a 1930s/1940s era season and call it AHS: Noir. Whatever it is...I Cant wait to get the details. This show is something else,and I love it. Coven is definitely the best so far.
Flag
I love it , season 4 yes I am in
the fact that each year is completely different is a good thing , but it will be hard to find new subject , but let's hope they will.
Flag
AHS: Carnival Cruise Lines
Flag
I suppose I'm in the minority here in that I enjoyed the first season the most and am (so far) finding the current season to be the least entertaining. (Shocks and scares are now a distant memory, now pretty much absent since S1.) I just chalk it up to the now-typical pattern of Ryan Murphy shows becoming less enjoyable with each passing year, regardless of which show it is.

But finding S3 the least entertaining season to date doesn't mean not entertaining at all, so I'll certainly return for S4.

Flag
I think you are in the minority because I think AHS is better than ever.
Flag
No surprises there, they'd be extremely foolish not to renew the best show to ever exist. As for which series is the best, they keep getting better! Before this season started I couldn't comprehend how Coven could be better than Asylum but somehow it's happening! By episode 10 I'm going to be bouncing off the walls waiting for the next episodes.
Flag
what's better right now?
Flag
Let's not get carried away. great show, but not Best show to ever exist. It is not even the best show on TV right now., so relax. This is great news and I'm looking forward to it already.
Flag
I don't know, I think it is the best show on TV right now.
Flag
No, it's the best ever, ever, ever, of all time, ever. Deal with it.
Flag
Although I am aware of the series for three seasons, I only started watching it for Season 3 because of the subject matter.

Season 1 has great acting but I couldn't finish it because it was too scary and so I stopped after watching 6 episodes. For Season 2, I could not relate to the subject matter at all. But now on Season 3 I can fully relate to all the characters.

It is weird as Season 1 dealt with gay characters which should normally hit home for me but somehow it seems a great bewitching show is everything I have wanted. This is particularly true because The Secret Circle did not get renewed and I need some awesome witchcraft action which The Witches of East End simply will not do.
Flag
well CBS is planning to reboot Charmed. so after the current season of AHS wraps that might be a decent prospect.
Flag
Thanks — good to know!
Flag
I want to see American Horror Story: Space. It will be about a haunted space station :)
Flag
i greatly enjoy this season and loved season 1 and 2 (though 2 sometimes was grossing me out) and i`m glad we can look forward to a fourth season.
i like Red_Diamond`s idea about the urban legends.
and though i would love to know, what happens after season 1 i love the fresh starts even more.
Flag
Honestly, I would have preferred if it didn't get renewed. I sort of enjoyed the show during the beginning and middle of season 1, and the beginning of season 2, but the rest of the time, I just thought it sucked. They're not any good at writing good stories, so they just throw as much bizarre shit as possible into a big pile and then they rub our faces in it. Apparently that was all it took to keep me curious about what's going to happen next. I'm going to stop watching right now, so that this horror story will finally be behind me.
Flag
Let's be real here. The only real options for frightening people at the rate they have been are "AHS: U.S. Politics" or "AHS: Alabama Crimson Tide Football Fans" (shudder). If we consider geography, then I guess as we've had west coast in s1, east coast in s2, and now the Gulf coast, then s4 should be up north or in the heartland. "AHS: Detroit" (but that'd be so scary no one would watch or maybe "AHS: Bored to death in Nebraska cornfields."
Flag
Well, Detroit is well on its way to becoming a ghost town, so maybe you're on to something.

Flag
Next season could be about zombies, evil dolls or maybe... serial killers just like Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer and Urban Legend.
Flag
A season of urban legends could be interesting.
Flag
No No No to ZOMBIES, VAMPIRES and SERIAL KILLERS. Both have been done to death. Glad they went with witches this season.. hope they do something different that we haven't seen again.
Flag
This will probably result in witches being done to death.
That's what usually happens: one good show and everybody else scrambles to copy it.
Flag
S1 could've been more scarier, given the haunted factor... S2 was so good it was sick, or was it the other way around :P ... S3 is doing great so far (nice zombies, reminded me of Thriller)... I really love how they mix a lot of things on each season... for S4, mmmhhh, perhaps something like AHS: Nightmare (apocalyptic scenario where nightmares and monsters come alive, i.e., Walking Dead meets Cloverfield meets Constantine meets 80s horror flicks)... or AHS: Outing (mixing the sailing of europeans to the new world, with hitchhiking, with traveling abroad, with trick r treating, you know, anything that represents the spirit of adventure, with the bad things that have or could happen to the traveler or explorer).
Flag
AHS: Seminary, group of would be priests move into the house...temptations and death ensue.
Flag
Didn't they kind of already do that with Asylum? Doesn't sound too different from a convent of Nuns and a would-be Pope.
Flag
True. However, there's something to be said about the difference in temptations and conflicts of faith between men and women. Meh they can't all be gems.
Flag
AHS: Ghost Hunters, a group of supposed experts in the supernatural go to a haunted island... death mayhem ensues.
Flag
At the end of Season 1, I had a "great" idea. Season 4 we go back to Constance and her demon child as they road trip across 'merica. It would be great to bring back her best AHS character, even though I love the subsequent seasons more and more.
Flag
How about American Horror Story: Hollywood?
A new hit TV show is sweeping the country about a depraved serial killer and a crack team of FBI agents after him. What the viewers don't know is that the gore and depravity depicted on film is real and is all part of an elaborate snuff film commissioned by some shady individuals from Eastern Europe. With the show being such a big hit, there is no shortage of eager young actresses lining up to audition to be the next "star" victim of the week.
Flag
I honestly can't choose between any one season, they've all been amazing and mind blowing in their own way. I love the format of a different story per season.. they really did establish it to be able to run for years and years to come staying fresh and avoid circling the drain with losing story arcs they have to push through regardless.
Flag
..and why would "American" Horror story take place in "space"...this is abt "horror stories" that take place...wait for it..in America..i think the Average viewers expecations are ridiculous in this day and age of televeision..its almost too much to choose from

Flag
It could be about AMERICANS in space.
Flag
wow..i have no idea what season 1 this thread was watching, but that season was so good, we are on season 3...the same ppl who said they didnt like season 2 are probably the same ones praising it now..grow up..get an original opinion..also season 3 is better than any other one ...easily..its almost no contest and this is from someone who enjoyed all of them thoroughly
Flag
I hated season one. I tried season two - twice, but too off-putting for me, I guess. This season I am really enjoying and I don't really know why. Maybe it's less sexual or gory? I thought the zombies in last episode were cooler than in Walking Dead and I like Walking Dead. Maybe it's seems like it's taking itself less seriously and they are just having more fun with it? Who knows, but I am surprised and just going with it.

AHS: Being Human for next season! Or how about a hotel / motel? Hitchhikers? I wouldn't mind a really good werewolf take with real werewolves like the beginning of She-Wolf of London had or American Werewolf, and not actual, cute puppy dogs we're seeing now. Unfortunately, make-up for that would take time and cost money, but that is, yto me, what a werewolf should be. Maybe even an updated Lon Chaney half-man / half-wolf version might do, if done well.
Flag
Less sexual? did you miss Gabourey Sidibe masturbating in front of a minotaur?

And yeah I like these zombies better too.. they have the advantage of actually being long dead reanimated corpses so they look extra zombie-ish instead of people that died and got right back up....
Flag
Yeah and Farmiga's curse of killing those she "loves", but I don't know...just thinking off the top of my head...or maybe going from what I saw of Asylum, which I thought was more intense with it.

The three zombies at the door in Halloween episode appear to be the daughters of Bates' character. That was interesting and what made it cooler.
Flag
We haven't done AHS: Cabin in the Woods yet... and that'd be perfect for New Orleans considering that we've got like a thousand of those.
Flag
Do AHS: Canada, keep Emma Roberts, and let me know where shooting takes place. Or whatever Ryan Murphy is thinking, either one works.
Flag
it is too early to tell for this season. Aspects of it mimic some of the idiocy and annoyances for me from the first season. Second season was pretty good, well the Lily Rabe episodes. But that too left a lot of threads open. This season, aside from some of the characters tendency for stupidity is at least entertaining. First season was horrible.
Flag
You're wrong.
Flag
Which part. I'll admit that tonight's episode was the best of the season thus far.
Flag
I'm just kidding, I agree. I also agree about tonight's episode, it's just getting better, though I bet I'm a little more enthusiastic about it. I look forward to Lily Rabe and Frances Conroy joining forces.

By the way, I know you don't watch SoA anymore, but I should tell you they finally revealed the identity of the mysterious homeless lady.
Flag
I am kind of sad that Zoey looks like she is going to be the Supreme. It was kind of predictable and she is really dumb. I was pulling for Nan.
Flag
In season 4 the characters should wake up in an unknown location with no memory of their past and we slowly find out their back stories all while they are being picked off by something or someone. Kind of like "Lost" meets that film "Cube"...

Or something like "Hunger Games" meets every kind of horror movie. A bunch of people are selected at random (or seemingly at random) to go into a giant gameboard where each area has a different horror element that you have to survive...

Wow, I have no original thoughts, it's all an amalgamation of other ideas!
Flag
American Horror Story: Chupacrabra House Party

Flag
This news has got to be the least shocking turn of events of season three.

Last year you asked what season three should be about, and now that season four has been announced, I'm giving the same answer as last year: I'm hoping for a season set in the future, maybe a claustrophobic story on a space ship floating in space. I know this is very much unlikely to happen because it would be too sci-fi for AHS, and not in line with the style of previous seasons. But since they have spent so much time in the past, I'm thinking why not move to the future? There are films that have dealt with people going crazy or something mysterious happening on long space voyages, The set design and cinematography could be similar to that of old-school space movies with a lot of white walls, buttons and such, but still with modern technology, so that the season would appearance-wise be in keeping previous seasons.

How about this: some of the crew members wake up in their sleeping pods. The rest of the crew has completely disappeared or is found dead. The ship is silent, possibly damaged, and severely off course. The crew doesn't know what has happened, why they woke up, were someone of the remaining crew members already awake before the others and the reason for why they are in the situation, etc. Then they start figuring out what has happened while aware that none of them can really trust the others. Fractions form and break up. People disappear and appear without explaining where they have been. Flashbacks are used to fill in missing pieces of what happened on the ship before they went to sleep, and even before the ship left earth. Previous relationships on earth, even decades before (in our time), might explain what has happened. Or is there an alien life form involved, a virus, is it all an illusion, or are everyone just suffering from a shared delirium as a result of being in a confined space for a long time?

There could be a twist at the end. Maybe they finally see a planet to land on, only to realize it's Earth. Upon landing the crew is informed they only left a week ago, even though it all felt like years. Or maybe everything happened in a space simulator; the crew members were test subjects used to examine the effects of a long trip to e.g. Mars, but upon seeing the chaos and the dead bodies inside the ship, the researchers abandon the plan for deep space travel.
More+
Flag
well, though the plotline you presented sounds pretty decent, AHS seems to be going more old-school, going back and forth between traditional to kitsch in terms of horror movies.. so, I think a "summer camp that no one has ever been for the last 20 years" , or "a holiday destination in the mountains that people keep going and not returning" would kinda be a good addition to those "asylum"-"witch coven"-"haunted house" themes.. yet, considering that the producers like smaller spaces instead of open air, a farm house or a hotel, as suggested below.
Flag
I like the future idea, maybe a contagion or evil machines?
Flag
Asylum
Flag
I still can't get over how amazing Asylum was. I wish I could like Coven just as much, it isn't bad but it isn't great either imo. Yay for a season 4 tho.
Flag
Can't wait! Season one was good, didn't like two much and this one is my favorite! I just wish they would do one without some type of pregnancy involved just because that seems to be a reoccurring theme.
Flag
omg? Connie Britton possibly returning? Count me in! :D

they need to bring back Emma Roberts, Zachary Quinto, and Lily Rabe. the entire cast on this show is so wonderful!
Flag
I really have to say, that season 1 was interesting. Season 2 was just creepy, but this season is simply awesome, with Angela Basset in the mix...the storyline...Jessica Lange, is awesome!
Flag
They seem to be going through the classics, so vampires or werewolves next, maybe? Or cults/satanism - they only just briefly touched on that in season one. There is also the inbred cannibal option..
Flag
Yay! This season is great, and I'm sure Lange will be in it next season too, no doubt.

I'd like to see Connie Britton return at some stage, but I think that would mean bad news for Nashville, and I don't want that to be cancelled. It's a very underrated drama.
Flag
Nashville is falling apart at the seams this season. They've fallen into that trap of believing no story-line can last longer than 3 episodes... for once I'd like one of the relationships to just last for half the season.
Flag
Season 1 was in a house in LA; Season 2, the asylum in Massachusetts and Season 3, a large manor in New Orleans. Season 4 will be:

A rapey-looking farmhouse in Nebraska
A run down, rapey, hotel in downtown Chicago
A stark 60's era modern house in a rapey & dreary Seattle woodland
A sprawling plantation on a rapey Georgia cotton farm
A moonshiner sprawl in a toothless, very rapey, Kentucky holler

Cast members to be raped/molested/gored while masturbating will be: women and teenagers.
Flag
I think next year will the year the show goes on the road with a Starkweather-type spree killer.
Flag
oooh, I love a good road trip!
Flag
I'm sensing a theme, I would watch all. We already did 60s though. 20s Chicago? Succubus or soul-sucker. Something around the time of the Colonies- we could get in some cannibalism and human sacrifice.
Flag
Oh, I didn't mean 1960 would be the time period of the show. I meant the style of the house. Essentially a mid-century modern house with very crisp angles and corners - very boxy.
Flag
...next to a rapey looking forest
Flag
Oooh, I like the 20's style speakeasy idea...but maybe too much like The Shining? Well, The Shining didn't have gangsters ;-)
Flag
A part of the Overlook's history actually involved gangsters. I think the hotel was even owned by a mob boss at one time.
Flag
True, there was some mention but it didn't focus as much on those characters. The Shining is one of my all time favorites so I wouldn't mind but I think Stephen King might ;-)
Flag
Heh. The short Truman Capote-ish guy in the caption photo was also in Supernatural last night. Liked Sam tickling his belly, as I recall.
Flag
Shhhh....I'm still pretending Coven is a regular show and not a one-and-done.
Flag
That's the great thing about AHS... each season is a one-and-done, but with the same actors. Love it!
Flag
I know but this is the first season I don't want resolution, I want to stay with these characters. Lol
Flag
Follow this Show
Members