An American Horror Story Community
Wednesday 10:00 PM on FX

After disappearing planes in Asia (it's The Ev3nt, guys!), the biggest mystery in the universe is where Season 4 of American Horror Story will be set. Well, rumors and peer pressure forced American Horror Story writer Douglas Petrie to confirm that the anthology series' fourth season will take place in a carnival. While addressing the topic on the Nerdist Writers Panel podcast in an episode that was recently posted onlinePetrie said, "It doesn't have a title, but that's the idea, very roughly, that's the idea." Awesome, that worked so well for Heroes Season 4! (Apologies if I just blew up your sarcasm detectors.)

Anyway, setting American Horror Story at a carnival is actually a great idea because nothing is funnier to me than people who are scared of clowns, and all those viewers affected by Coulrophobia will be exposed by the time the opening credits are over. It also allows for creepy carnival music, a sideshow full of freaks, and killer cotton candy. And if we're really, really lucky, Jessica Lange will play a bearded lady

I'd also like to commend TV.com user Brady120 for calling it way back in December and recommend checking out his theories on what a carnival-set season could entail, including some backstory on the most killer clown of all, John Wayne Gacy. 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 1/13/2016

Season 5 : Episode 12

67 Comments
Comments (67)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
That picture! God I hate/love Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Flag
Aaah... this series is all about great potential, a good 6 episode run, stagnation for another 3 and fucking up until an unsitasfying thoughtlessly writen finale.
Flag
yes sir... :P every season so far
Flag
I am thrilled by the carnival theme, I think it has fantastic potential. Although it could have been a bit scarier, I loved the lighter and funnier (but still dark and thematic) Coven. I think the carnival theme gives the creators room to keep it a little lighter like last season while still offering ample opportunities to keep American Horror Story, well, horrifying. And, oh man, I would be ecstatic to see Evan Peters terrorizing the carnival all decked out in creepy clown garb.
Flag
YES! I love dark carnival themes! :D
Flag
Oooh...that's actually a great idea. A classic, but it should work. Now they have a reason to bring back Pepper from season two.
I wonder who will play the contortionist. Or is that a circus thing?
Flag
OH man, that is awesome. Forget about Heroes, I really, really hope that Murphy and Falchuk watched Carnivàle, because there is a lot of horror potential in that show. Hell, this could even be something lika a long-awaited remake. If you haven't watched Carnivàle yet, go do it now, because that show is truly amazing.

Flag
oh Carnivàle..... AKA the saddest premature cancellation in the history of everything and its grandmother
:((
Flag
I would have rather had a season about Native Americans in New Mexico like rumored earlier.

Flag
I'm now expecting the season to contain a hermaphradite character.
Flag
And which one of Murphy's loyal players will portray that role?
Flag
I am like someone else don't make it about silly clowns or hokey stuff like that but be more like Carnivale with strange magic and supernatural things. Freaks always scare people and they need to really play that. I see Pepper in this season. I want to really be creeped out this season, since this is Langes last season I want her to go out with a bang. Looking forward to it. I am really hooked on this show.
Flag
After reading through his ideas and descriptive back-story, I suddenly wish Brady120 was on the writing staff of American Horror Story. His ideas would make for some awesome and thoroughly disturbing/terrifying television.
Flag
creepy
Flag
YES! Yessss!!! I'm definitely conflating this with my love for Carnivale, but I cannot freaking wait for this season. Oh I hope it's just like Carnivale. No lame killer clowns, just some weird mysticism, supernatural abilities, and a battle between good and evil please.
Flag
Clowns!? Nah son, you better not! I, like any sane person, am terrified of Clowns! (excludes Joker because awesome) I'll just give up TV until the Season is over because I don't want to be laying in bed watching some show on a Network that isn't FX (but happens to air FX Promos) then BAM! a Promo for AHS hits my TV then it's all over. I'm up, every light in the house is on and I'm watching cartoons till the Sun comes up. :(
Flag
I hear you..
aah...ahem...support group??
Flag
Clowns really?,If you are not afraid of them now, by the time season 4 finishes i guarantee you will be..
I dont know you guys, this one i might just not watch, for mental health reasons. I'm lookin forward for the recaps (photos not necessary).
Flag
For a moment I thought AHS would head to the Carnaval, and I imagined an AHS story taking place in Rio de Janeiro, in a sunny February. But yeah, that wouldn't be AMERICAN Horror Story...

Flag
ehrm..... except that Brazil IS in America :S
Flag
American as a nationality, not America as a continent. There's a difference.
Flag
It's American Horror Story meets Heroes!
Flag
This is going to be so great!! Good job Brady120! Nailed it!

Flag
Thanks for the shout-out, Tim! Can't wait to see what exactly the storyline is! Any one have any good ideas?!?
Flag
I've been saying make Carnival every year so I knew!
Flag
Well that's hubby out then, he was so so for season 1, liked season 2, tolerated season 3 but clowns - haha no, he doesn't 'do' clowns...
Flag
Cool idea.
Flag
It's definitely time for another The Event event.
Flag
Well that is disappointing. Personally, I don't find abnormalities and sideshows that scary or creepy. Isn't there already a reality show based on carny folk? Not to mention Discovery Channel's Oddities. I honestly don't know how they will add any supernatural element in a carnival, maybe except gypsies. But still, it is a bit lackluster in terms of horror. I may possibly not tune in next season just because I find the carnival theme very uninteresting.
Flag
Oh..ok.
Flag
I've never been a fan of the carnival motif, but I've loved every season of AHS up to now, so I have no problem trusting that they'll make something of it that'll ultimately make it fun to watch.

(& just a musing sidenote: I can understand why clown fear exists, but I don't understand why it's so poppy & seemingly widespread in the culture. I'm given to wonder how many adults truly hold on to that fear from a childhood experience as opposed to adults who simply convince themselves that they hold a fear of clowns simply because it offers them a popular avenue to find commonality with others)
Flag
I'm scared of clowns too... Can we eat lunch together?
Flag
IT. The film based on the Stephen King book introduced a generation to just how mind-f*ckingly scary clowns can be. (It's a shame the ending of the film was shit.)
Flag
Yep. Saw it myself back in the day. It might be interesting if I go to the Horror Community & maybe pose the question there so I don't distract this thread, but I can remember as a young kid after Raiders Of The Lost Ark was out for a while that it became cool to claim to be afraid of snakes even when I wasn't, simply because Indy Jones was someone we all hero worshiped as little boys & tried to emulate the character in & out of school. It got to a point where I eventually convinced myself for about a decade that I actually was afraid of snakes, but when I took a look at it when I was in my 20's I realized that fear was just me telling myself a lie for so long that I internalized it and believed it on a deep level...as opposed to my fear of spiders that came from a childhood trauma when a ball of Daddy Longlegs fell on top of me in a barn & I was covered in hundreds of 'em & I freaked the 'eff out in terror from the feeling on my skin. I know they're harmless, but ever since then I get a deep shudder from that memory every time I see something spider-like

Anyhoo, because I was able to convince myself for about a decade that my pseudo-snake fear was legitimate, I can't help but wonder how many people are truly afraid of clowns compared to those that are only convinced deep down that they're afraid of clowns simply because so many people for so long claim to be afraid of clowns as well themselves.

That said, I do find this truly creepy ;)

More +
Flag
I'm gonna have to commandeer this here car for official clown business.... Who want's some fried chicken?
Flag
As a child i was never afraid of clowns...but during my mid teens i was in a "situation" involving a snake and a clown.I wont get into the details but ever since i have this deep hate for those creepy clawly and creepy colored people. So far i have hidden my-lets-call-it-deep-hate-and-not fear- for clowns from my friends. If i see one (snakes or clowns) on street/zoo or on tv a peaceful sleep is out of question for few days.
Flag
I saw part of IT as a four year old and I've been afraid/severely creeped out by clowns ever since. Also a Halloween incident with a jackass in a clown mask. He got whacked in the face with my pillowcase full of candy, pretty sure he ended up with a black eye. I'm disappointed by the news, I really loved AHS: Coven, but I won't be watching this next season.
Flag
Hope they use the Nightwish Imaginarium music LOL
Flag
I saw "It" as a child. Clowns are not funny.
Flag
No, they definitely are not.
Flag
Nice Picture... Killer Klowns from Outer Space... classic
Flag
Some inventive stuff in that move even with the low budget...it'd be interesting if AHS can show the same innovation.
Flag
A carnival story is fantastic, just imagine all of the settings it could bring (if it's a traveling carnival). And ever since Stephen King, I don't think clowns are considered cute anymore. But, didn't Murphy said that the story will be about the war or something, or was that just a rumor?
Flag
Every season is new and fresh,so this sounds good to me.Can't wait to have my ass scared by demented clowns!
Flag
Ugh, freaking clowns. I hate clowns.

It will give Murphy and the fans of the show a lot of colors and visuals to work with. In some part I can't wait to see what he comes up with for the house of mirrors. But I feel like this season that it might be too focused on the visuals at the expense of the plot, continuity, justice within their universe and for the most part any actual horror.

But he may surprise me.
Flag
I hate clowns too, but my hate started with a lamp I had in my room when I was a kid. I swear the clown on it moved!!!
Flag
Mine probably stem from the move It. But I don't know things and people that try to make you happy all of the time just weird me out.
Flag
Course it is.
Flag
I love Killer Klowns from Outer Space!
Flag
it is a classic
Flag
Hoping Kate Mara returns now that she's free from House of Cards.
Flag
Ugh. I don't expect someone like Ryan Murphy to be able to mine a Carnival setting for actual horror. It'll be shock value, social commentary, and a cast of Mary Sues and Strawmen. Nothing more, nothing less.
Flag
Sounds good.Although I think the witches story could have last longer...
Flag
Fun...but as I said in response to the discussion forum of this, I am still vaguely hoping that they take over and complete the story of Carnivale. Heck, just the aftermath twenty years later since this is supposed to be in the 1950s. Of course as I write this I have the chant, "One of us, one of us" in my head so I am totally creeped out.
Flag
I'm terrified of clowns.
Flag
Yay! Carnival, I sure hope that it is scary:D
Flag
Can you bring back Zachary Quinto, too?
Flag
They better. He'd make a great "It."
Flag
Follow this Show
Members