An American Horror Story Community
Wednesday 10:00 PM on FX

After spending time in a haunted house, an insane asylum, and the witchy woods of Louisiana, American Horror Story is heading to the freak show. Creator Ryan Murphy tweeted Season 4's subtitle earlier today, and it's so damn appropriate I don't know why the show hasn't used it before:

If for some reason that tweet embed doesn't work, it says "Freak Show" in a fancy font. Murphy didn't go into further detail, but the name semi-confirms the news that leaked out last week: American Horror Story is going to the carnival. Or at least something very close to it.

And in other Season 4 developments, Entertainment Weekly has confirmed that Jessica Lange will play a German ex-pat who manages one of the last freak shows—which are often tied to traveling circuses—in Jupiter, Florida in the 1950s. 

What do you think of the freak show setting? What elements would you like to see in Season 4?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 1/13/2016

Season 5 : Episode 12

73 Comments
Comments (73)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Please please please let Pepper be back in this one!!! OMG, I am so excited about this coming season; just when you thought it doesn't get any better, it SUDDENLY DOES!!!! AHS is always so consistently excellent, I won't even speculate, I just know that it will be as awesome, terrifying, deliciously exhilarating and original as all the previous seasons have been.....thanks to Mr. Murphy and co!
Flag
I'm completely on board.

& if I see Siamese twin bearded lady midget pinhead fire-eating sword-swallowing contortionists with lobster fingers...well, I'd consider that a bonus
Flag
Oh God, please no clowns....
Flag
Seeing this I did that shrill excited squealing sound combined with bouncing in my seat, thank goodness no one was around to see me do that. But it makes me wonder if they had always planned to do this or if they actually heard the fans gush about how they would love for the series to go the carnival/freak show route?

It makes me want to rewatch 'Freaks' for some reason. I hope that it does well as it will be Lang's "swan song", but I just can't help but sit here and pray that it isn't the same as 'Freaks' or 'Carnivale'.
Flag
Seeing this I did that shrill excited squealing sound combined with bouncing in my seat, thank goodness no one was around to see me do that.

Hey I just did that too! So I'm NOT the only one!!
Flag
I really hope they will consider getting Naomi Grossman back as Pepper! Maybe the new season could be a backstory for that interesting character!
Flag
Yay, my wish came true!!!
Flag
Smashing!

"We accept you. One of us. Gobble Gobble." *winks*
Flag
I fucking love this! How come every time the new season is revealed it just sounds so natural? I'm sad its Lange's final season though
Flag
What NOOO I hadn't heard that why?
Flag
Shes done with the schedule that the show demands. She said she may come back down the line if the show is still on..but she needed some downtime
Flag
Aww ok well fine, as long as she comes back eventually :(
Flag
I wonder if it's only going to focus on the freak show, or will the freak show be part of a bigger travelling circus with carnies? In other words, will most of the actors have to wear heavy make-up because they are "freaks of nature" or will there be more ordinary carny folks like a fortune teller, strong man, snake woman, magician, etc? It will be interesting to see how they cast the show, and how actors from previous seasons will fit the freak show theme.
Flag
Is it just me or is there something satisfying about predicting the name of the next season of AHS correctly! FREAK SHOWW is going to be EPIC!
Flag
I don't get people's fear of clowns like really so many of you are scared of clowns?! I'm honestly welcoming them it would great to the story if there were some truly creepy, freaky clowns scaring the sh!t out of you kiddies haha
Flag
Honestly IT didn't put me off clowns. I find carnies and clowns creepy in general. They cover their faces completely with really big expressions, they have very big movements. I don't know they make me twitchy they move to fast and I find their make-up creepy. Clowns just give off a creepy vibe, I can't explain it. I'm not saying I would curl into a little ball and cry if I saw one, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to be within arms reach of one.
Flag
Ever seen "IT".......
Flag
Haha yup when I was younger and I remember loving it and being one of my faves, the name alone used to crack me up thanks for reminding me! But its been a while I should probably watch it again maybe my perspective will change
Flag
I bet there will be a creepy supernatural clown.
Flag
That is perfect! The carnival is one of the creepiest settings for a horror story. I am especially frightened of clowns thanks to Stephen King's It. Looking forward to it XD
Flag
Please pretty please no clowns Ryan Murphy
Flag
Can't wait for it! Coven was such a fantastic, great, unbelievably good season!! wonder how s4 will be!!
Flag
Well, I see true potential for nightmares for anyone who tunes in this season. Wasn't the biggest fan of Coven, though it was of course good (I just mean compared to the first two seasons), but there is so much room to make a season based at/on the circus so literally freaky that I think it will be amazing.
Flag
Not into carnivals, circuses, or clowns, but it will have to be better than Coven. I doubt it will top Asylum though.
Flag
213. hopefuly 4213, not 2134.
i wonder if anyone will get this?
Flag
Probably 2413
Flag
The order of seasons from best to worst?
Flag
Sounds good.
But I have to admit I was hoping for the Southwest in the 1880's.
I'll definitely be watching.
Flag

Awesome because I always wanted him to cast James Franco, Seth Rogen, Linda Cardellini, Jason Segel...oh...wait a minute...
Flag
Boy, I sure as hell didn't expect Florida to be the setting. What happened to New Mexico and New Orleans?
Flag
Clowns are creepy.
Flag
I wonder if Stephen King will be watching.
Flag
He's probably watching brain scan images, wondering what the hell he was thinking when he released "Under the Dome". I'd like to see those scans myself.
Flag
Yeah let's put on white coats, glasses and point out the plot holes.
Flag
I'm down for it.
Flag
I'm tired of evil clowns like annoying ass Pennywise.
Stephen King is so corny sometime. It's rare but it happens.
Flag
Keep in mind, IT was a made for TV movie, during a time when the innocence of American broadcast TV was mostly still intact, and things like curse words, and sex were not a part of every show. I mean, John Boy Walton , Jack Tripper and Venus Flytrap were in it! Tim Curry was the only one correctly cast. The book on the other hand was incredibly creepy, and as far from corny as you can get. If you want to see another example, read Pet Sematary, then watch the movie. Night and day. Only David Cronenberg did a proper translation of a King story, with The Dead Zone, and I mean the movie with Christopher Walken, not the silly Breakfast Club Edition TV show. King novels have a huge amount of humor in them as well, that never makes it to the screen, for lack of a means of relaying it. It's not corny humor though, it's laugh your ass off humor, as long as you have a twisted sense to begin with.
Flag
The man got away with writing a story about a killer car.
Flag
yea, and it had already been done. james brolin had already starred in the movie.
Flag
awesome! bound to be super creepy.
Flag
well after having Stevie Nicks on there of course "freakshow" would just naturally come to mind-and what? did he go to the jugaloo gathering this year cause thats all a big rip off of them-or did he watch "something wicked this way comes"-yes so many have thought of it before you lame hipster director so why did it take you 4 seasons??
Flag
I'm quite sick of Jessica Lange at this point.
Flag
I think reusiing the same actors in this series loses some originality rather quickly. New talent would keep it fresher regardless of talent, setting, or theme.
Flag
Sometimes I get sick of incredible acting too. lol..
Flag
How dare you speak such blasphemy!.
Flag
I love the 1st season of AHS. Can you say Halloween and apples
Flag
They should be able to put in a few scares in a horror carnival. It should be an improvement from season 3. Between them all, I thought S2's Asylum was the best so far.
Flag
it would have to be pretty damn good to outdo season 3.
Flag
Agreed!
Flag
Precious can be a strong girl, hope they bring her back
Flag
I can't lol
Flag
Although I want to see the neat make up effects they will have, I'm not a fan of the carnival theme and side shows, in general. Hopefully Kathy Bates and Angela Bassett return because along with Jessica Lange, the trio is dynamite in screen.
Flag
season 3 was the worst show season i have ever seen. it made dexter later seasons look like a masterpiece.
Flag
Best season towards the end where I think it degenerated and ran out of some energy and originality. I say that hating the first and never having got through the second.
Flag
Diff'rent strokes for different folks. I tend to think you have poor taste. Might even be trolling like a som've bitch!
Flag
Shirley you jest! Season three was AMAZING!
Flag
strange nazi fixation
Flag
As long as it was wasn't Carnival, I was going to be ok with it. Everyone go watch CARNIVALE' RIGHT NOW.
Flag
The thought had crossed my mind about similarities, but the time and location of Carnivale was 1930's Dustbowl time, and they moved around a specific area- with Freak show being set in 1950's Florida, I think that is enough to differentiate the two...did they still allow real hoochycooch dancing in the 1950's?? Anyway, I'm off to watch Carnivale again...
Flag
I'm just so happy that I spotted the DVDs on sale today. Sadly the first season of Carnivale was sold out. You can't just buy the second season without the first.
Flag
I was thinking the same thing - Carnivale owns carnivals and freak shows after its amazing showing and anything AHS does is just going to invite comparisons. Maybe this wasn't a good choice.
Flag
I truly, truly hope they stay as far away from similarities with Carnivale as possible. While I very much love both series, I hope they don't end up going over the same grounds, partly because I'm still sad to this day that Carnivale was ended.
Flag
pepper!!!
Flag
I dunno...I loved the first season, but was only mildly interested in the second and third.
Flag
Sounds good to me.Let the freak-fest begin!
Flag
This is gonna be great!
Flag
sounds awesome! I hope they use some real "freaks" (not pc of me but it's the name of the show) like the movie Freaks (1930s).
The more elements the better--I loved all the crazy stuff they included in Asylum so I'm one of those who like the "more is better" approach.
Flag
probably will be scariest of them all, but I do NOT want clowns... and it's also giving me bad bad flashbacks of Heroes season 4, aka: the worst one ever.
Flag
YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Flag
Follow this Show
Members