An American Horror Story Community
Wednesday 10:00 PM on FX
Now that season three has come to a close, it's time to start looking forward to season 4. Since the cast tends to make some minor shifts each season, which actors and actresses do you absolutely need to see as part of season 4 (and beyond.)

For me the most crucial three are Jessica Lange (she has already been confirmed,) Evan Peters, and Lily Rabe. These three are endlessly excellent and provide a lot of the sole of the show for me. After that, I would love to see Taissa Farmiga, Jamie Brewer, and Frances Conroy return. I could begrudgingly live without them, but I would be thrilled to see them in season 4. How about you?
Comments (55)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Zachary Quinto. Dr Thredson ' s my favourite character. Would be a big mistake to not have him back.
Flag
Unfortunately looks like we won't be seeing the return of the wonderful Mr. Quinto this time around. Maybe next season. I agree, Thredson is one of the greatest characters to come out of the twisted minds behind this excellent show!
Flag
Zachary Quentin pleeeease! &3
Flag
Jessica Lange, Sarah Paulson, Lily Rabe, Frances Conroy and Zachary Quintin pleease
Flag
Hi i’m a University student and writing a case study on AHS if you watch the show could you please fill out this survey for me as it would be so helpful and greatly appreciated <3 https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HG2NBLJ
Flag
Ok. Well I definitely need JESSICA LANGE and SARAH PAULSON back.

These two are the heart and soul for me. And I do not understand all the criticism that people give Sarah Paulson when she is a super talented actress who plays each character so differently yet equally as complex and interesting.

Anyway, I would really love Frances Conroy and Lily Rabe to return. Both are talented actresses. I would like Dylan McDermott, James Cromwell and Zachary Quinto back for season 4 too. And at a long shot Connie Britton. She was brilliant in Murder House and it would be good for her to return after being absent since season 1. I would love it for Evan Peters to return but he really needs a good character again like he had with Kit. Kyle was pathetic. Oh and finally Kathy Bates and Angela Bassett need to come back.
Flag
Need Jessica and Sarah back!
Flag
LILY RABE.

I mean, I want all of the ones who reprise their roles each season, but if Lily left I would be heartbroken!
Flag
Jessica Lange is the matriarch of AHS. Because Season 4 will be her last season, a good replacement is Frances Conroy. Frances has the maturity and talent to take that role. Without Frances, the show wouldn't be half of what it is. She is is soooo versatile. Secondly, we must have Zachary Quinto & Naomi Grossman. Both have exceptional talent and had 2 of the hardest roles in season 2 & nailed it! Lily Raab got robbed in her role as Misty Day. I viewed the role as surface, never connected & didn't get enough air time. Too talented of an actress to appear every once in a while. Emma Roberts needs to go. Horrible actress, not interesting, tried too hard. Evan Peters role was ridiculous. I never thought the grunting would end. He is capable of so much more. Tarrissa has evolved as an actress. Liked her role in S3, but would like to see her play a much different character verses always being Evans girl. She needs to be challenged. Jamie Brewer rocks! Loved her in all 3 seasons. Please don't kill her off so soon in Season 4. I didn't feel much of a connection to the characters in Season 3 like I did in previous seasons. Hopefully, Ryan Murphy is listening to his audience so Season 4 is a complete success. Check out the scuttlebutt on Twitter at #AmericanHorrorStory and #FXNetwork. It's where you'll find what people are saying about one of the best series .... AHS
More+
Flag
I need Jessica Lang, but that's luckily cut and dried. ;-)
Sarah Paulson, Lily Rabe and Frances Conroy without them AHS wouldn't be the same for me
Flag
I'd love to see Lily Rabe back in a leading role which really showcases what she is capable of. She's a fantastic actress.

Other than that as long as the next season has Jessica Lange and Frances Conroy I'll be happy. Sarah Paulson has had a lot to do the past 2 seasons so although I would like to see her back, perhaps she could have more of a supporting role next time.

I can't wait for news about next season to start filtering through!
Flag
Jessica Lange, Sarah Paulson and Lily Rabe have to came because it wouldn't be AHS without them i would also love to see Evan Peters, Taissa Farminga and Frances Conroy back
Flag
Evan Peters
Taissa Farmiga
Sarah Paulson

THESE 3 ARE A MUST
Flag
Jessica, Sarah & Lily are a must for me I've loved every character they've played every season plus Jessica for me is the heart of the show. Definitely need more Francis she's been great every season as well. Angela, Kathy & Emma were amazing this season so I deff wouldn't mind them coming back either. Alexandra Breckendrige (love the name alone lol), Kate Mara and ehh I guess Chloe Sevigny. For the men Dylan McDermott & Morris Chestnut from season 1. Denis O'Hare & James Cromwell. And if they bring back Zachary Quinto please give him something good I'm sick of him playing sociopaths w/ mommy/daddy issues. Oh and I loved Ian McShane as the killer Santa in season 2. I know people are gonna crucify me for this but I don't care much for Evan Peters or Taissa Farminga or their twisted love stories, but I'll take them on account of familiarity.
Flag
Jessica Lange, Taissa Farmiga, Jamie Brewer, Evan Peters, Connie Britton, Denis O'Hare & Alex Breckenridge
Flag
Jessica Lange is the lifeblood of this show...I honestly don't know what we'll do without her after season 4... I love Lily Rabe, Evan Peters, and Frances Conroy. I like Sarah Paulson but sometimes she kinda annoys me and I don't really know why. Angela Bassett, Emma Roberts and Kathy Bates were awesome this season and I would be happy to see any of them again. I hope we see Chloe Sevigney (sp?), Zachary Quinto, Dylan McDermot, Denis O'Hare and Alex Breckenridge again. Lol, like #ian281099 below, if I don't stop I'll name everybody...
Flag
That's because this show showcases every one of them so well. Yes! Bring them all back. Jessica is the show though..
Flag
Couldn't agree with you more. And I feel the same about Sarah Paulson, I think she's a great actress and adds a lot to the show but I still find myself getting annoyed with her at random times. That's why she didn't make my list, but I still want to see her come back.
Flag
Lol with Paulson I think some of the annoyance comes from her trying to do really emotional scenes..a lot of the time when she cries the facial expressions she makes seem forced and overly dramatic.
I also had a hard time with her as a weakling for most of this season, I realize it was part of her arc and that's fine but I personally like her much better cool and confident as she was as Billy in S1 and Lana in S2 (of course she wasn't so confident while she was being brutally victimized by Jude and then Bloodyface but overall her character was pretty much a badass.)
With all that said, she is really excellent at certain moments.
Flag
Oh please! Sarah Paulson played Cordelia perfectly. She does the emotional scenes in such a believable way which gains my sympathy for her character. To me, she is arguably one of the two best actors on ahs.
Flag
The Minotaur!

Or Lily Rabe.. I love me some Lily Rabe
Flag
Most all of the actors from all three seasons have been great so it's hard to choose anyone in particular at the expense of another.So I'll just turn it on when it returns and go from there.I do hope they find a character for Frances Conroy.
Flag
I totally agree with you. In addition I would also love to have Zachary Quinto back. He's just awesome!
Flag
Sorry, I don't know how to answer without a poll...
Flag
I remember being disappointed when Connie Britton from season 1 wasnt in season 2. It would be nice to see her again. In the list of favourites, I want

1. Kathy Bates
2. Fiona Lange
3. Frances Conroy
4. Evan Peters

I dont mind the following in next season:
1. Connie Britton
2. Sarah Paulson
3. Taissa Farmiga
4. Lily Rabe
5. Emma Roberts
6. Dylan McDermott
7. Jamie Brewer
8. Gabourey Sidibe
9. Alex Breckenridge

As you can tell, i like most of the cast. and I really list it according to my preference which says alot if its not in this list.
Flag
This may be controversial, but I think it might be refreshing if one of these seasons they don't include one of their more popular actors, like Sarah Paulson or Lily Rabe. As they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder, and by having them in every season in a cast that constantly changes a brief absence will stop them from becoming complacent with and within the series.
Flag
Or they could do what the did in season 2: give the actors that play minor roles bigger characters. Remember that Lily Rabe and Sarah Paulson had minor roles in season 1. I think that could bring some fresh material for the series.
Flag
As nice as it was to have females being the prominent characters of this past season, it sort of made me miss some of the male actors the series had previously used. I'd love to see Zachary Quinto, Joseph Fiennes, and James Cromwell return, and for me Denis O'Hare is a must. I also hope they find a role for Emma Roberts, something vastly different from her role as Madison though.
Flag
Agreed, I'm surprised more people haven't mention Joseph and James, I thought they were fantastic in Asylum. You couldn't be more right about Emma Roberts; even though she plays the "brat" quite well, I think it would be too repetitive to have her do another Madison style character.
Flag
Without Jessica Lange, I can't even imagine American Horror Story. I actually count Frances Conroy as the runner-up, with Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters, and Lily Rabe to follow. They've done well with all those actors, except Evan Peters was completely wasted on Coven, but still, I think all these names are essential.

I would love to see Angela Bassett and Kathy Bates come back, as well as James Cromwell and Zachary Quinto.
Flag
Jessica Lange, Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters, Lily Rabe, Frances Conroy, and Denis O'Hare are what makes American Horror Story for me.

But I'd love to see Angela Bassett, Zachary Quinto, Lizzie Brochere, Chloe Sevigny, James Cromwell, Lance Reddick, Franka Potente, Joseph Fiennes, and Danny Huston again.

Also, for reference purposes, here's a link to the AHS imdb cast page :)
Flag
Sarah Paulson and Lily Rabe are essential to me. It would be nice to see Emma Roberts and Taissa Farmiga too.

I also wish Connie Britton would return to AHS. I doubt it will happen though.
Flag
Lily Rabe of course!
Flag
I'm trying to narrow done the list in my mind but it's unbearably difficult. Jessica Lange is the obvious one, but she's already confirmed, so I'd love to see Taissa Farmiga, Jamie Brewer, Evan Peters, Lily Rabe, Frances Conroy, Emma Roberts, Gabourey Sidibe, Zachary Quinto AND Sarah Paulson.

I'd also love to see some new additions, maybe Danny Pudi and/or Ken Jeong, Tania Raymonde, David's Duchovny & Schwimmer, Olivia Munn, Bradley Whitford, Elisha Cuthbert and Aisha Tayler.
It shouldn't cost much to get all 19 of them!
Flag
i managed to.. tough but possible..
Flag
It really is impossible to narrow it down, isn't it? :)
Flag
Yes.
Flag
no ones going to mention chloe?!
Flag
Chloe should come back, and hopefully get a better shake then Shelly.. Shelly was a great character don't get me wrong, but it'd be nice to see her play a larger role.
Flag
Gabourey Sidibe
Flag
AND the Minotaur!

Bow chicka wow wow
Flag
American Horror Story = Jessica Lange , she is the best actress on the show for sure
But Also i'd like to see ; Evan Peters , Zachary Quinto , Lily Rabe , Dylan McDermott , Frances Conroy , Joseph Fiennes & Emma Roberts
Flag
Jessica Lange IS American Horror Story. But I would also like seeing Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters, Lily Rabe and Zachary Quinto.

Flag
I think the most important thing about season 4, is convincing Jessica Lange not to retire.
Flag
This! The thought of it makes my heart hurt.
Flag
Denis O'Hare. He *is* AHS to me.
Flag
Zachary Quinto.
Flag
Jessica Lange, Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters, Lily Rabe, Zachary Quinto, Frances, Conroy and Taissa Farminga in that order... Angela Basset and Kathy Bates is a good addition. I hope Jessica will have a different non-smoking role somewhat like softer character for a change. I miss Zachary Quinto but please just don't bring back Connie Britton, she's a horrible actress.
Flag
Unless Nashville is cancelled, I doubt Connie Britton will be able to return.
Flag
I would love to see Evan Peters, Taissa Farmiga, Lily Rade, Sarah Paulson, and Jessica Lange. They were all amazing in season 3! Hopefully Ryan Murphy had Evan and Taissa have another love story. It would seriously be perfect.
Flag
Actors essential to the show: Jessica Lange, Sarah Paulson, Lily Rabe.

New actors who I'd like to return: Kathy Bates, Angela Basset, Emma Roberts

Old actors I'd like to see again: Zachary Quinto, James Cromwell, Frances Conroy, Taissa Farmiga

Actors who played minor characters that should get a bigger role: Kate Mara, Lizzie Brocheré

I'm afraid that if I keep on going I'll name the whole cast...
Flag
I would really love to see Jessica and Angela squaring off again.
And I'd really like to see Kathy and Lily again.
Flag
I need more Jaimie Brewer (Nan.)
Flag
I won't bother mentioning Jessica since we know she'll be back. I need Frances, Sarah, and Lily. I'd love to see Taissa, Alex, and Kate again. And Zachary.
Flag
I agree with your selections, it would be nice to have Denis O'Hare back for a bigger role than he played in either this season or season one (but really still be a sketchy bad guy). I would sort of like to see the actress who played Grace from season 2 play a role, heck, she might be the most reasonable to guess if Jessica Lange has to learn a German accent maybe its useful to have one with an actual French accent.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members