American Horror Story Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on FXIn Season

Crazy theory about Tate!

SweetMissJaye

[1]Nov 22, 2011
    • level: 21

I just read this on youtube and I wanted to pass it on because although it's crazy, it could actually end up being possible. People in this forum are great at coming at the show from all different angles so I can't wait to get a couple of thoughts on this. I'm not claiming this theory as my own; the link where I read this included.

"WHAT IF tate has a twin? in the first epi tate sees a figure looking like tate but with shorter hair behind ben. In a promotional poster you see two boys who aren't bryan and troy in the backround. The tate that shot up the school had scars on his face and the current tate doesn't. And if tate got shot in the chest, why isnt it that when he's topless there are the bullet marks. Good tate and evil tate?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qubcnkk9F5o

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

LauraChristie1

[2]Nov 22, 2011
    • level: 2

And how come his outfits change when nobody else's do?

SweetMissJaye

[3]Nov 22, 2011

LauraChristie1 wrote:

And how come his outfits change when nobody else's do?

Good point. I hadn't thought of that but we have seen him in different clothing...

sleepflower

[4]Nov 22, 2011

The whole Tate twin thing would be a surprising twist. Haven't even thought about it, until now, it seemsquitepossible.My theory about his clothes is thatthe mediumsaid he died in such a way, he thinks he's still living.Maybe he's going about everyday "life" as if he would while alive.I'm thinking that within this season, they will reveal who Tate sees in his first session. I hope. :]

HeadlinesRCrazy

[5]Nov 23, 2011
    • level: 3

I've read some ideas about this theory in other forums. I'm not really on the bandwagon, though. I think there might be two sides to Tate. But I don't think there are two Tates--or a physical twin, I guess I should say. I posted this in another thread, but it seems to me that he has a very Jekyll and Hyde sort of nature. The only difference is that Dr. Jekyll purposely tried to split himself in half, whereas I think Tate's personality split is the direct psychological result of something that happened to him. I also agree that I think the reason he changes clothes is because he is unaware of being dead. Although, the whole "aware of being dead" thing is really confusing to me because Chad and Patrick also change clothes, but they seem to be aware that they're dead when they come home the morning after Halloween. However, Chad is always referring to the house as his, which would indicate that maybe he doesn't know he is dead. Then there is Tate, who doesn't know he is dead but somehow knew he could leave the house on Halloween when Violet objected to always meeting in the basement and he told her they could have a real date the next night, which was Halloween(?) I'm perfectly game for believing that Tate is just so much in denial that he pretty much believes what he wants to believe. I'm just saying there are loopholes in the "rules" of the house that just don't seem to match up. In literature, it's called a continuity issue. It's a rule that's established for the reader (in this case, the viewer), but then not consistently followed by the author (in this case, the makers of the show).

Gera777

[6]Nov 23, 2011
    • level: 9

Those two boys were killed inside the house by the ghost. And Tate was killed by swat team. And I don't see any split personality in Tate behavior. So I don't believe that there will be actual or imaginable Tate twin. He is already very bright character.

MsAnalytical

[7]Nov 23, 2011

That is an interesting theory. We will just have to wait and see what happens with him. Usually I am dead on with predictions, but since this does have continuity issues I have been missing a lot. It will be interesting to see if it is a psychological split or an actual physical twin, but he does have moods! If it were a twin though, why did the SWAT team not ask for both boys? The school should have known if there were twins and they would not have known which one did the shooting. BUT, we do have a fourth child of Constance's that we have not yet met. We have Beau, Tate, and Adelaide. The theory is viable in that aspect. I am tired of getting burnt on theories so I have just started noting facts, hence the timeline thread. LOL.

vampsgotsoul

[8]Nov 23, 2011

Constance DID say that she has THREE children( Halloween pt 2) then tells Violet that Tate is her son. So, there's Addie and Tate...Who's the Third child?? Wow, Could be a twin. ANY theory is a good theory, because this show is SO outrageous that Anything is possible.

SweetMissJaye

[9]Nov 23, 2011

I appreciate all the points of view so far. I'm not completely sold on the theory of Tate having a twin but I don't put anything past the writers/directors/producers of this show They have done some crazy stuff so far so I just expect anything from them.

SweetMissJaye

[10]Nov 23, 2011

HeadlinesRCrazy wrote:

I'm just saying there are loopholes in the "rules" of the house that just don't seem to match up. In literature, it's called a continuity issue. It's a rule that's established for the reader (in this case, the viewer), but then not consistently followed by the author (in this case, the makers of the show).

You're right about the continuity issues on the show. There have been several instances so far where certain things we've seen and heard don't add up. For example, the school shooting. The one girl made a point of telling Tate he asked her if she believed in God. Yet when we saw the actual shooting, there is no real indication that Tate asked her this. In the initial discussion I tried to say that since the scene changed to various characters'points of view, we may have missed it when he did ask her. BUT, realistically, since they made a point of her having her mention it to Tate in the Halloween episode, they should have shown it in the Piggy, Piggy episode.

SweetMissJaye

[11]Nov 23, 2011

sleepflower wrote:

The whole Tate twin thing would be a surprising twist. Haven't even thought about it, until now, it seemsquitepossible.My theory about his clothes is thatthe mediumsaid he died in such a way, he thinks he's still living.Maybe he's going about everyday "life" as if he would while alive.I'm thinking that within this season, they will reveal who Tate sees in his first session. I hope. :]

Your theory may be right. Tate may be going through the whole routine of a living person. I recall him telling Violet that the medicine Ben gives him may be having sexual side effects on him... So if he's going through the trouble of taking medication, who knows what else he's doing.

MsAnalytical

[12]Nov 23, 2011

I know that we have talked about clothes, but I noticed in the Rubber Man clip that Hayden appears to have a different outfit on than she wore in her last scene with Vivien. Perhaps clothes are not tied to the ghosts like we would traditionally consider them to be.

MsAnalytical

[13]Nov 23, 2011

I thought she said she had three other children besides Addy. Beau is her third child, revealed in Open House. Can anyone remember how that line was phrased about her children? Three or three other?

MsAnalytical

[14]Nov 23, 2011

At this point I am hoping there was an evil twin to Tate. (after Rubber Man ep.) The previews for the next episode moves me in that direction also.

SweetMissJaye

[15]Nov 23, 2011

MsAnalytical wrote:

At this point I am hoping there was an evil twin to Tate. (after Rubber Man ep.) The previews for the next episode moves me in that direction also.

The promo for next week made me feel even more confused :/

Gera777

[16]Nov 24, 2011
    • level: 9

vampsgotsoul wrote:

Constance DID say that she has THREE children( Halloween pt 2) then tells Violet that Tate is her son. So, there's Addie and Tate...Who's the Third child?? Wow, Could be a twin. ANY theory is a good theory, because this show is SO outrageous that Anything is possible.

Now I believe that it is possible for twin to appear. Vivian will have twin and this is possible in the family where already been wins. And now since we know who is the father, it may be a hint for twin appearance.

SweetMissJaye

[17]Nov 24, 2011

MsAnalytical wrote:

I thought she said she had three other children besides Addy. Beau is her third child, revealed in Open House. Can anyone remember how that line was phrased about her children? Three or three other?

I don't remember the exact line but there are three other than Adelaide. So....Adelaide, Tate, Beau and.....???

HeadlinesRCrazy

[18]Nov 24, 2011

I just want to clarify this...For anyone else who wants to watch it, it's the "Home Invasion" epsiode, 21:08 minutes in, Constance says she has FOUR children. The exact dialogue exchange:

Vivien: "So you have other kids?"

Constance: "I have four. I should have stopped after the first."

Interestingly, a comment I missed in my initial watch and re-watch, about a minute before that, Constance tells Vivien she has the nose of a "truffle pig"--VERY interesting considering the pig theme that has appeared in a few episodes. Also, now that things are getting weird with the whole duality sort of theme, I found it intriguing that Constance makes Violet two cupcakes and that Vivien says, "She's not going to eat the whole thing. We can split it." Hmmm....I love how the re-watches of this show get more and more interesting after each and every episode.

pippabennett

[19]Nov 24, 2011
    The third child is beau in the attic- im presuming... i had thought she had said she had 4 children and ive been trying to work out who the fourth could be. have i just made it up...?

sleepflower

[20]Nov 25, 2011

This is just my crazy talking, but:

We're talking about Tate being a twin, but I think he was more likely to have split personality disorder when he was alive (and the house picked up on this weakness and used it to make one personality evil. And the other, his normal depressive self, oblivious of the other). Just because someone has split personality, depression, or bipolar disorder, doesn't make them any less intelligent. I'm thinking Tate went on the shooting spree (and died) sometime after Kurt Cobain's suicide in April of 1994. Beau also died in 1994, but I think Tate first died in the house, then constance moved out (leaving Beau). And then Larry moved in and killed him upon her request. Ghost Tate could have set Larry's family on fire, but considering what we found out in "Rubber Man", this might be too much.

I might as well throw in that I think Adelaide may be a twin. On the site, it shows the two Adelaides (young and old) holding hands. The young one could have died, making her the 4th child. She could have been a ghost when we seen her in the pilot episode, warning Bryan and Troy. This again, could be the writers throwing us off, and my overactive imagination.