American Horror Story Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on FXBetween Seasons

Crazy theory about Tate!

HeadlinesRCrazy

[21]Nov 25, 2011
    • level: 3

I like the young Adelaide twin theory. It would explain a lot. I also think that there are two sides to Tate rather than two Tates (as in a twin). I'm actually very intrigued by the whole idea that people are attempting to theorize an "evil" twin to Tate. It's not that the I think the logic behind the theory is off. It's believable. I think it's a nod to how good of a job the show's makers have done in making their point. The viewership is so in love with Tate--let's face it, he's adorable and innocent to look at--that it's trying, like Violet, to find reasons why he couldn't possibly be bad. The irony of this show is that the viewers are just as much in denial about what Tate did as Tate is about what Tate did. I send total kudos to the makers of this show. It takes some serious talent to twist that angle in just the right way. Remember Hayden's scene this week with Vivien? "Wake up!...I had everything...I was white, I was beautiful, I was educated." Hmmm...The American idea of perfection...and she's buried in the backyard while her angry, bitter, ugly spirit haunts the house. Is it because she's truly an ugly bitch or because we just don't want to see the truth, so we demonize it?...Just some things to think about.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MsAnalytical

[22]Nov 27, 2011

sleepflower wrote:

We're talking about Tate being a twin, but I think he was more likely to have split personality disorder when he was alive (and the house picked up on this weakness and used it to make one personality evil. And the other, his normal depressive self, oblivious of the other). Just because someone has split personality, depression, or bipolar disorder, doesn't make them any less intelligent.

After re-watching the episode I think you are right. While Tate's actions seem repugnant, in his own mind he was trying to help Nora Montgomery all along. I *think* there will be a fourth child that we will meet later and I will be surprised if it is a twin of anyone. I think showing the young and old Addy is simply showing both actresses who played the part.

I kind of think Tate's personality split because of what he was exposed to in the house and then it went downhill from there.

All of my posts should have a disclaimer that says: *at this point, until I am again proven wrong.

Faithin1

[23]Nov 28, 2011
    • level: 10

vampsgotsoul wrote:

Constance DID say that she has THREE children( Halloween pt 2) then tells Violet that Tate is her son. So, there's Addie and Tate...Who's the Third child?? Wow, Could be a twin. ANY theory is a good theory, because this show is SO outrageous that Anything is possible.

It is Beau. The disfigured kid that plays with the ball.

sleepflower

[24]Dec 17, 2011
    • level: 2

I really didn't know where to put this, and since it involves Tate, I chose to put it here.

This is something that caught my attention immediately at the beginning of Smoldering Children, Tate says that his father ran away when he was 6 (and that he wished he went with him) (This makes sense if Hugo is his father, because Tate would have been 6 in 1984). But in the Pilot episode, Tate shows Violet his scar and says he did it after his dad left, he said: "I was 10, I think."

It could be a writer's mistake, OR there could be more to it.. I don't know. Any opinions?

poseidondude

[25]Dec 18, 2011
    • level: 5

He could have lied. to whom did Tate say those things? i really like this theory since violet has banished him from the house

hamstrman

[26]Dec 18, 2011
    • level: 15

Faithin1 wrote:

vampsgotsoul wrote:

Constance DID say that she has THREE children( Halloween pt 2) then tells Violet that Tate is her son. So, there's Addie and Tate...Who's the Third child?? Wow, Could be a twin. ANY theory is a good theory, because this show is SO outrageous that Anything is possible.

It is Beau. The disfigured kid that plays with the ball.

I'm not sure if this is a SPOILER. Just from an interview, so read below with that in mind!

I read in EW in an interview with Ryan Murphy - and this was a month earlier than this thread and did NOT contain spoilers as much as referring to pointing out observations from the show - that mentioned Constance had FOUR children and that we've met Addy, Tate and Beau. He didn't want to say anything more than that and wouldn't. But there were four, not three.

Below these are definitely *spoilers* only up through the episode Birth. Just mentioning it since the original topic started in mid-November:

My friend and I debate whether Tate is purely a sociopath not to be trusted no matter what impression he gives off or whether he has split personality. A physical twin has never actually come up. Could be a twin that never developed and is "inside" Tate? Just carrying the crazy theory along... My friend trusts nothing Tate says since he's raping and killing while he's "loving" Violet. I brought up that he had no recollection of killing those ghost classmates when they were chasing him and Violet was not with him. He had no reason to manipulate the situation and seemed sincerely confused. It wasn't the same as his manipulation of Violet or Ben. I definitely think it's not as simple as him lying to everyone about not remembering. Mental illness is a no-brainer. We think maybe he blocks it all out from an earlier trauma when he was alive. My friend thinks he might've been molested by Constance as a child.

Oh and this was pointed out on Tate's facebook fan page so THIS MIGHT HAVE BEEN INTENTIONALLY HIDDEN, POTENTIAL SPOILER --- I made the font white.

//The article that Violet looked up regarding Tate's school shooting mentioned that there were "shooters"! Maybe the fourth child, now a ghost we haven't met??//

sleepflower

[27]Dec 18, 2011

poseidondude wrote:

He could have lied. to whom did Tate say those things? i really like this theory since violet has banished him from the house

He could have lied, like you said. And to answer your question,Tate told Violet that he cut after his father left when he was 10. Then while at the dinner table (With Constance, Addie and Larry in 1994)when he was saying grace, he said his father left when he was 6.

HeadlinesRCrazy

[28]Dec 19, 2011

sleepflower wrote:

poseidondude wrote:

He could have lied, like you said. And to answer your question,Tate told Violet that he cut after his father left when he was 10. Then while at the dinner table (With Constance, Addie and Larry in 1994)when he was saying grace, he said his father left when he was 6.

I agree. It seems that in addition to being a psychopath, Tate is a pathological liar. He lies and seemingly can't help it. In the Smoldering Children episode, Violet asked him if he remembered how he died. He said no. In the Birth episode, Violet asked him how he died, and he told her the cops shot him right there in that room. So he does remember how he died. I think Tate knows what he did, but that he lives in denial of it because he's afraid of facing up to it. In his heart, I think he knows exactly what Violet told him last week--that he has to pay for what he's done...and the longer he lives in denial, the longer he can put off settling the tab. I also still feel a bit sorry for him because I don't think he's entirely in his own driver's seat and never has been. I think he treats Violet the way he's always wanted to be treated--loved and safe. In a way, in spite of all of the horrible things Tate has done, I think his story is the saddest of the entire show simply because it's almost completely without hope.

mariana064

[29]Dec 20, 2011
    • level: 6

after his father left doesn't mean immidiately after his father left so technically, there's no mistake or contradiction there.

sleepflower

[30]Dec 21, 2011

HeadlinesRCrazy wrote:

I agree. It seems that in addition to being a psychopath, Tate is a pathological liar. He lies and seemingly can't help it. In the Smoldering Children episode, Violet asked him if he remembered how he died. He said no. In the Birth episode, Violet asked him how he died, and he told her the cops shot him right there in that room. So he does remember how he died. I think Tate knows what he did, but that he lives in denial of it because he's afraid of facing up to it. In his heart, I think he knows exactly what Violet told him last week--that he has to pay for what he's done...and the longer he lives in denial, the longer he can put off settling the tab. I also still feel a bit sorry for him because I don't think he's entirely in his own driver's seat and never has been. I think he treats Violet the way he's always wanted to be treated--loved and safe. In a way, in spite of all of the horrible things Tate has done, I think his story is the saddest of the entire show simply because it's almost completely without hope.

I agree 100% with this. :]

hazben

[31]Dec 21, 2011
    he already told the daughter that he raped her mom. never say never, but after he copped to that [and why would he if he didnt do it, knowing how bad it would hurt the girl and push her away], i dont see that angle.

BonjuPatten

[32]Dec 23, 2011
    • level: 1
    beauroguard was the elephant boy in the attic - he was Constance's other kid but there was also a 4th child that she had but the name was never mentioned.

mariana064

[33]Jan 15, 2012
    • level: 6

I guess we will never know. They wrapped the story arc.

Kewliso

[34]Dec 13, 2013
    • level: 1

Personally I don`t think Tate has a twin. I think it is like Moira, that she can choose what others can see of her. For example that she can appear young and beautiful infront of men. I think it is the same with Tate, that he chooses what he wishes to reveal.