American Horror Story Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on FXIn Season

Official Discussion Thread: Birth (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Dec 14, 2011
    • level: 101
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 12/14/11 episode "Birth" to this thread.

Links from the show and episode guide pages may not work due to a glitch in the recent redesign. However, the link above should get you there.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MauricioMaranto

[2]Dec 14, 2011
    • level: 3

WHAT.THE.FUCK?.

I think this is the best episode of any tv show I've seen. just... completely blown away.

MauricioMaranto

[3]Dec 14, 2011
    I cannot believe they dared to kill Vivien and break Tate and Violet up, this felt like the season finale and I don't know how the next episode can be better than this one.

HeadlinesRCrazy

[4]Dec 15, 2011

I thought this episode was TERRIBLE! Probably the second worst of the season for me behind the Black Dahlia episode. The ghosts of the house helping deliver the babies was completely ridiculous and a bit too much. For me, it pushed the show into absurdity. I knew the whole Tate and Violet breakup was bound to happen and would likely be before the end of the season as a cliffhanger that moved the show into next season. But the speed and manner in which Violet's switch flipped was too unbelievable for me. First she tried to coax her mom to the other side with her and then she wanted to be angry and blame Tate for it when her mother did die? Uh...Hello! Two fathers...She didn't seem to realize that if that was the logic she was using, then that made Ben just as culpable as Tate for her mother being dead. I would have found the whole scene a lot more interesting and believable if Violet would have told Tate something like maybe she thought he'd lurered her into committing suicide. 'I love you but I can't forgive you.' ??? Typical sixteen year old demonstrating that she has no idea what "love" really is; so at least that one was more believable than I originally thought, I guess. Tate's response was probably the single best moment of the episode. Another amazing performance by Evan Peters. The only thing good we found out from this episode is that Billie Dean is full of poo.

JoshSutton

[5]Dec 15, 2011
    • level: 15
    I'm not enjoying this series anmore, i thought it had potential and could've been mind bendingly brilliant but it's just disappointing. Now if you want to watch a cooky show with interesting, likeable characters then Once Upon A Time is a very enjoyable, creative new show.

blackmage8472

[6]Dec 15, 2011

Going against the grain...

I liked this episode. The end scene with Vivian and Violet was rather touching.

xheroesx110

[7]Dec 15, 2011
    • level: 12
    I liked it but i feel Tate will be more of a monster now without Violet next episode.

HeadlinesRCrazy

[8]Dec 15, 2011

JoshSutton wrote:
    I'm not enjoying this series anmore, i thought it had potential and could've been mind bendingly brilliant but it's just disappointing. Now if you want to watch a cooky show with interesting, likeable characters then Once Upon A Time is a very enjoyable, creative new show.

Regarding Once upon a Time...I thought the first episode was somewhat of an eye roller. I'm not even sure what made me tune into the second episode...curiosity, I think. But now I love it and am really into it. I think it's a show that has definitely gotten better and more intriguing as the season has progressed. I also love all of the crazy spins they put on the fairy tales.

blackmage8472

[9]Dec 16, 2011

xheroesx110 wrote:
    I liked it but i feel Tate will be more of a monster now without Violet next episode.

I think that's part of the point. Despite, in my opinion, the writers have successfully allowed us to feel sympathy for Tate, the fact is he is a monster. He murdered several innocent people while he was alive and as a spirit murdered and raped several more. Violet put it the most succinctly in saying that she was only attracted to the darkness whereas Tate was the darkness.

I tend to believe that writers tend to give certain characters "what they deserve" in the end may it be reward or punishment. In a sense you could say that both Violet and Vivien got what they "deserved." Not death, that in the end is only consequential to Ben, the punishment for him is the loss of his family. Vivien got released from her worries and got part of her family back and Violet finally felt loved.

I'm interested in seeing what they do in season 2. My guess is they'll keep pieces parts of the story and have a new family with new problems move in.

christabel81

[10]Dec 16, 2011
    next episode would be the season finale?

this show just at its climax now... started to love it!

just that, the house is now so "crowded" lol

really wish the gay couples to be gone

& now vivien & hayden has to live forever together....?lol

feliz82

[11]Dec 17, 2011
    • level: 2
    christabel81 wrote:

really wish the gay couples to be gone

Why, what is so bad about them? I was glad the 'spell' didn't work.

mariana064

[12]Dec 17, 2011
    • level: 6

i liked this episode. what i don't understand is why are people saying that the harmons might not return for season 2? i mean, it's pretty obvious now that if the house returns, they return. if they don't the whole series would lack continuity.

HeadlinesRCrazy

[13]Dec 18, 2011

mariana064 wrote:

i liked this episode. what i don't understand is why are people saying that the harmons might not return for season 2? i mean, it's pretty obvious now that if the house returns, they return. if they don't the whole series would lack continuity.

I think the way most people are starting to see it is that the Harmon's story is winding down and there isn't much left to tell that would string viewers on for another season. I don't think they would necessarily have to return with the house, not as regular characters anyway. We don't always see all of the ghosts and some of them we still haven't seen at all. If the Harmons find some sort of peace-like existence as ghosts in the house and have no reason to haunt new residents, then it's possible that we viewers could be presented with a scenario that they keep to themselves and that's why we don't see them or only rarely see them. That would also be a good way for the show's makers to just keep around one of the Harmons as a regular but not the others. I find that scenario a whole lot more believable than a group of ghosts delivering a baby.

mariana064

[14]Dec 21, 2011
    • level: 6

i guess that would be ok. am i crazy for wanting violet to stay so that she can end up with tate?