American Horror Story Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on FXIn Season

Official Discussion Thread: Rubber Man (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Nov 23, 2011
    • level: 101
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 11/23/11 episode "Rubber Man" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mattgus

[2]Nov 23, 2011
    • level: 14
    1st time i am feeling bad for the mom...i think the story would be better if hubby knew...why would the goasts want mom gone? cant't leave so how are they going to get babies? daughter refusal to be truthful is a bit hard to believe,but they have bad relationship so??? i can't believe this is 25 on the tv.com ratings...i thought it was higher

MsAnalytical

[3]Nov 23, 2011
    • level: 3

I missed the whole first segment! The first segment is always major. Urgh!

SweetMissJaye

[4]Nov 23, 2011
    • level: 21

I really feel bewildered and frustrated right now. The episode was pretty good but had a few moments that made me think "WTF"? Tate in the rubber suit? It doesn't make sense. And he's a killer and a rapist. I find it hard to believe that he didn't know he'd shot up the school when those dead kids confronted him when he obviously takes great pleasure in committing murder and seems to plot his murders well (and with accomplices).

I understand that Hayden wants Vivien to look crazy but it's so aggravating to see her getting the best of Vivien when Hayden is so annoying. I did expect this, however, because she was whacko when she was alive. And if it's possible, I dislike Violet even more. She helped her mother look nuts for the sake of her relationship with Tate. She seemed to feel bad about it in the end but that lasted for a few seconds. I wonder how Violet feels about losing her virginity to Tate. She didn't look too pleased (she looked even more depressed for having done it).

I did like that we found out how the suit ended up in the house in the first place. I also liked seeing the ghosts interact with each other. The episode also had a few really scary moments that I loved, such as when Vivien and Violet were in the car and the scenes in Viv's bedroom.

I'm glad Ben got shot. He deserved it, even though it was accidental. Never thought I would say this, but I actually missed Constance.

At this point, I have several questions that have my mind whirling. I have to get ready for Thanksgiving but I'm thinking about this show instead

Will Vivien get even more physically ill or even miscarry now that she's out of the house? And, will Vivien become convinced that she really was crazy after all?

Will Violet get even a hint of just how sick and crazy her boyfriend is?

When will Ben FINALLY find out about the ghosts?

What's up with Moira? I understand why she helped kill Mr. Escandarian but I don't understand why she helped Tate with Chad and his boyfriend.

And Nora....how did she help Ben before, telling him to save the baby, if she didn't even know she was dead? She seemed completely confused about what was going on in the house and Hayden had to explain to her that she was dead.

Sorry for the super long post. This show is just too much....

SweetMissJaye

[5]Nov 23, 2011

MsAnalytical wrote:

I missed the whole first segment! The first segment is always major. Urgh!

You definitely have to watch it

SweetMissJaye

[6]Nov 23, 2011

mattgus wrote:
    1st time i am feeling bad for the mom...i think the story would be better if hubby knew...why would the goasts want mom gone? cant't leave so how are they going to get babies? daughter refusal to be truthful is a bit hard to believe,but they have bad relationship so??? i can't believe this is 25 on the tv.com ratings...i thought it was higher

The ghosts don't really want Vivien gone. They want her declared insane so that when she has the babies, she won't be able to keep them.

I think Violet is a selfish brat and I admit I think the worst of her (no one on this forum dislikes her as much as I do ) but even I was surprise that she let her mom get taken away to a psych hospital. Horrible

sleepflower

[7]Nov 23, 2011
    • level: 2

I agree, this show should be rated much higher. I had my theories of who the Rubber Man was, and it was the one character that I didn't want him to be. But I'm interested to know how this will all play out. Still got a lot of questions, but this episode had a lot of answers too. Can't wait for the next one. And I'm hoping there will be another marathon soon, that would be great. :]

MsAnalytical

[8]Nov 23, 2011

SweetMissJaye wrote:

mattgus wrote:

The ghosts don't really want Vivien gone. They want her declared insane so that when she has the babies, she won't be able to keep them.

I think Violet is a selfish brat and I admit I think the worst of her (no one on this forum dislikes her as much as I do ) but even I was surprise that she let her mom get taken away to a psych hospital. Horrible

I never thought Violet was a ghost, but unless the "you haven't been to school in two weeks" was a red herring then???? I am so confused at this point. They did not leave the property and she has not left the property for two weeks but somehow her parent's don't see her during the day. She is not being bullied anymore like she told her dad because the bully is now her frenemy.

MauricioMaranto

[9]Nov 23, 2011

This has to be one of the best episodes of the season. I like they chose to do the "Lost" way of giving us answers but for each answer give us like two more questions.

I guess this means Tate knows he's dead and he was bluffing the past episodes?

Gera777

[10]Nov 24, 2011
    • level: 9

I have some question about the episode to discuss!

1. Who was the man that put an arm on Nora's shoulder in the beginning of the episode? That wasn't Tate because he lived after Nora's death.

2. Why did Tate lied Violet about that ghost can't really hurt her? Or maybe he is the one who can actually kill in the house?

3. If Nora don't remember that she's dead, how she could visit to the house as possible buyer?

4. If Tate was the first killer in the house what has driven him crazy?

5. Since Vivien will have twins and Tate is a father. Is it possible that Tate's twin will appear? Not to mention that he wore the same sweater as one of the killed twins.

6. Why didn't Violet told the truth? Does Tate has such influence on her? Or maybe she's a ghost now too.

7. Why Tate cares so much about Nora? He killed gays and screwed Vivien only to make it possible for her to have child.

HeadlinesRCrazy

[11]Nov 24, 2011

Gera777 wrote:

I have some question about the episode to discuss!

1. Who was the man that put an arm on Nora's shoulder in the beginning of the episode? That wasn't Tate because he lived after Nora's death.

It was Tate. In the end of the episode, Moira points out that he has a need to please the women of the house, thus his reason what he can do to make it better. Tate has some SERIOUS Oedipus/Hamlet issues.

HeadlinesRCrazy

[12]Nov 24, 2011

First of all, my mind is just spinning. This episode was AMAZING for me. Some random thoughts, without having re-watched...

We really are getting to the root of the problem...Tate has mommy issues. He wants nothing more than to make "Mommy" happy, thus his resentment of Constance. Could it be that the most beautiful of her children in appearance was the one who pleased her the least and, therefore, suffered the worst abuse?

Tate wasn't lying when he told Ben he kills people he likes. He tells Nora in the end of the episode that Chad and Patrick will be together forever now. He truly thinks he did them (and Nora) a service. He's contemplating killing Violet. No, I don't think she's dead yet. I think all of those clues that were dropped to us this week were a red herring, based on the the exchange between Hayden and Tate in the basement that he knows what he has to do and that he has to prepare himself because it's not easy. Admittedly, it's weird, though, that Violet knew her mom had eaten brains.

Hayden is just creepy...She gets a thrill out of rage. She's TRULY evil.

I wonder if Violet in some way reminds Tate of Nora, thus his moment of affection for the box of pics in last week's episode before he hands them over to Violet.

I still can't feel sorry for Viv...She's so annoying. I am starting to feel a bit more empathetic toward Moira...I know a lot of the focus has been on how people see Moira. But I'm beginning to wonder if her bum eye isn't a clue that maybe she sees people for what they truly are.

I can't believe anymore that Tate doesn't know he's dead. If that is really the case, there is a SERIOUS continuity issue going on here. He has an understanding of exactly the power he has in the house and how to use it to his benefit, just like Hayden. It's interesting to note, though, that he seems to be more interested in protecting the spirits that are there than harming them, as opposed to Hayden. He seems happy to be trying to keep them blissfully unaware of the truth, whereas Hayden seems determined to make them see the truth. I'm beginning to wonder if a showdown between Hayden and Tate for control of the house is on the horizon.

Crazy, "out there" theory...Still think this might all be going on in Viv's head and that Violet an Viv may be the same person...as well as Ben and Tate.

My mind is really going nuts over Hayden's comment in the basement about the "bitch" in "there" being "really strong"...So the crazy infant in the basement is a girl/woman? Who?

SweetMissJaye

[13]Nov 24, 2011

MsAnalytical wrote:

I never thought Violet was a ghost, but unless the "you haven't been to school in two weeks" was a red herring then???? I am so confused at this point. They did not leave the property and she has not left the property for two weeks but somehow her parent's don't see her during the day. She is not being bullied anymore like she told her dad because the bully is now her frenemy.

I think a lot of us are confused. So many things don't make sense now. I hope they clear up some of this mess before the season is over.

I still think it's possible that Violet is dead, but on the other hand, she might just be spending time hanging out with Tate. The house is big; I think she can get away with staying their during the day without bumping into Ben or Vivien.

SweetMissJaye

[14]Nov 24, 2011

Gera777 wrote:

2. Why did Tate lied Violet about that ghost can't really hurt her? Or maybe he is the one who can actually kill in the house?

3. If Nora don't remember that she's dead, how she could visit to the house as possible buyer?

4. If Tate was the first killer in the house what has driven him crazy?

5. Since Vivien will have twins and Tate is a father. Is it possible that Tate's twin will appear? Not to mention that he wore the same sweater as one of the killed twins.

6. Why didn't Violet told the truth? Does Tate has such influence on her? Or maybe she's a ghost now too.

7. Why Tate cares so much about Nora? He killed gays and screwed Vivien only to make it possible for her to have child.

1-I thought that was Tate in the beginning but I'm not even sure anymore.

2-I think Tate wants Violet's defenses down. It seems that most of the ghosts in the house are capable of violence and even murder, however.

3-I hope they set Nora's story straight because this doesn't make any sense.

4-I don't think Tate was the first killer. There were at least a few before him: Nora who killed her husband, the guy who killed the two nurses, and even Constance.

5-I'm still wondering could their be another "Tate". I rewatched some of the pilot and Tate did wear a similar sweater as one of the twins, but also, he saw himself behind Ben, with blood dripping from his head onto face. I am beyond confused.

6. At this point Violet feels more love for Tate than for her own mother. I think I hate her now.

7. I don't understand Tate's allegiance to Nora, either. Nora is his motivation for being so evil in the house? I'm not buying that just yet.

MsAnalytical

[15]Nov 24, 2011

HeadlinesRCrazy wrote:

My mind is really going nuts over Hayden's comment in the basement about the "bitch" in "there" being "really strong"...So the crazy infant in the basement is a girl/woman? Who?

Can't "talk" much today (Thanksgiving!) but remember that the Infantata has the heart of a woman. Just sayin'

julia_z

[16]Nov 24, 2011
    • level: 1
    I do think 'bitch' is just the right word for Hayden herself, she is so annoying.

HeadlinesRCrazy

[17]Nov 24, 2011

I really don't think Nora's "story" is all that confusing...Her baby was her life, it was violently murdered, and she wants it back. What I do agree is confusing and that I'm trying to piece together is whether maybe Nora is the "heart" of the house, all of her "innocence" a facade, and she might actually be the "bitch" in the basement who is controlling the whole show, thus her power over Tate to rape women, make babies, and go on shooting sprees at his school...That could also explain Constance's connection because both women want nothing more than perfect children. Just another theory that has gotten into my mind...

HeadlinesRCrazy

[18]Nov 24, 2011

I would also like to go on record that after the Rubber Man episode, I've changed my mind about Violet having a skeleton or two in the closet. I think what's really going on is that Tate is trying to corrupt her just enough that she won't move on when he kills her and will, therefore, be in the house with him. Thus, his determination to save her after the suicide attempt because she wasn't quite corrupted enough. I think the whole "afterglow" scene (it wasn't really a sex scene...lol) was kind of a symbol that he's "tainted" her. So now he is actually thinking about how to kill her/keep her in the house.

JoshSutton

[19]Nov 25, 2011
    • level: 15
    When Hayden was talking to Tate about knowing what he had to do to that "bitch" she was talking about Viv as he had to attack her. That's what i got from it anyways. I feel for Viv, i think she, Moira and Luke are the characters i actually like. Although Moira helping with the gay couple's deaths, i didn't like that. Why would she? :S

I'm not a massive fan of the answers in this episode, i'm thinking maybe the writers started off not knowing what they were doing within the pilot and then gave us these answers so that it would make some sort of sense... Tate having a thing for Nora or whatever... i don't like it.

HeadlinesRCrazy

[20]Nov 25, 2011

I don't think Tate has a thing for Nora as in romantic love. I think he has a thing for her as in some sort of attachment. Also, the poem that Hayden quotes when she's talking to Tate is "Ode to a Nightingale" by Keats about which, ironically, I once wrote a paper in school. (I've mentioned already that I love the Romantic poets because their lives were so messed up, right?) Keats is no Tennyson or Shelley but he sure did know how to be dark and moody. "Ode to a Nightingale" is basically a poem narrated by a person who once hated love but is now in love and loves being in love. But there is a dark side to the narrator's love. He is either dead or wants to be dead. He believes death only intensifies his feelings for his beloved because there cannot possibly be a better feeling in life than what he feels for her. So, in my mind, that initially made the conversation clearly about Tate's feelings for Violet. However, upon half a re-watch (not completely through the episode a second time yet), it could be that Hayden's reference is to Violet being dead and that what Tate has to do is inform her that she's now part of the house's inventory. I'm still turning this one over in my mind...