American Horror Story Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on FXBetween Seasons

Official Discussion Thread: Spooky Little Girl (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Nov 30, 2011
    • level: 101
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 11/30/11 episode "Spooky Little Girl" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mattbiale

[2]Nov 30, 2011
    • level: 7
    I enjoyed this episode. Hayden has cooled down and seems to want to help the other spirits of the house come to terms with the fact that they are dead. Hayden stabbing Contance's boytoy was awesome. Ben also seems to be waking up, the part where he sees Moira for who she is was nice. next weeks episode looks really good. who will they find in the wall? Violet? should be interesting.

Gera777

[3]Dec 1, 2011
    • level: 9
    Episode was great. Does Ben want to get Vivien back from asylum now when he believes her story? Will we see Moira again? Who was a guy that cut poor girl in the beginning? If "doctor Frankenstein" was the first owner then who is that? Dead foreman?

HeadlinesRCrazy

[4]Dec 1, 2011
    • level: 3

I've only gotten to view this episode once. Because of time differences and my work schedule, I don't get to view it until the day after it airs. But I have to say that after an initial viewing, I'm WAY more interested in the promo for next week's episode than I am about anything that happened in this week's episode. I know people didn't like the Rubber Man reveal last week, but the whole Black Dahlia thing was probably, hands down, the cheesiest thing this show has done so far...Well, besides bringing the whole religion and anti-christ thing into the mix. I thought that them not doing a "take" on the Black Dahlia, like they've done a "take" on other famous murders, and decided to literally incorporate the Black Dahlia was just silly and COMPLETELY unbelievable. Constance and Ben had some memorable moments. I'm SO OVER Hayden. I don't care what she's trying to do. Her character has the effect of nails on a chalkboard to me. I did like the closing scene between Moira and Ben. That's all for now...more, I'm sure, after a re-watch.

mariana064

[5]Dec 1, 2011
    • level: 6

im not sure i like the whole anti-christ thing, just because it involves the whole world, i would rather they focused on the house and how it got to be murder house, etc, before they go down the "end of the world" trail, but whatever.

i hope ben realizes he's an idiot. it's time. also, I HATE HAYDEN.

darkbender24

[6]Dec 1, 2011
    • level: 12

I don't think they will go into the end of the world thing at least not yet its only the first season. I think the whole thing is just a red herring and maybe they are trying to distract us from something else. I did enjoy the episode even though i never heard of the black dahlia before. Also im starting to think there are more ghosts in that house than i thought.

MsAnalytical

[7]Dec 1, 2011

darkbender24 wrote:

I don't think they will go into the end of the world thing at least not yet its only the first season. I think the whole thing is just a red herring and maybe they are trying to distract us from something else. I did enjoy the episode even though i never heard of the black dahlia before. Also im starting to think there are more ghosts in that house than i thought.

The official site has an interactive house that reveals other murders that have happened. More of the recent timeline has been revealed in the past couple of episodes. If it has been that active all along, then there should be dozens. (I have a timeline thread...not updated after this episode yet...will soon.)

I had heard of the Black Dahlia murder but, like a lot of the other true or pop culture horror show references, I did not know a lot about it.

I agree about it probably being a distraction since they were initially planning on further seasons. I hope it is a red herring because it would be a lame ending for the show. Someone else made a good point as to why it would be a red herring...that would extend the reach of the house to the whole world and would also be a break from the psycho-sexual aspect which, according to interviews, is integral to the show.

MsAnalytical

[8]Dec 1, 2011

I like Ben most of all the characters and I feel like he was vindicated a little in this episode. (Unless they screw me over later on this by revealing bad things...) Some of what was revealed with Hayden went along with my theories about the emotional climate of his marriage at the time he cheated. The fact that he saw Moira as the women do at the end of the episode proves something about the sincerity of his desire to not be a serial cheater even though he is tempted. He feels remorse for his wrongdoing. And good grief, Moira could have tempted a saint by this point.

I know they threw in a lot of psychological and gender issues but I tend to relate to people according to personalities and I can feel more sympathy for Ben's weaknesses better than Vivien's controlling tendencies. Knowing that she was in the exact same type of situation that Hayden and Ben were in when she was younger makes me dislike her even more because everything she feels/experiences is real and important, but she does not extend that respect to others- just saying. BUT, hopefully we will learn more of her back story.

At this point I have felt some degree of sympathy for every character except the rapist dentist with the Sleeping Beauty fixation, the home invaders, and the guy whose murder they were recreating. Oh, and Constance's husband. I feel bad for Vivien's miscarriage and the fact that she was having marriage problems but it pretty much ends there. She was a big part of the marriage problems and they started (it sounds like) before the miscarriage and way before Ben cheated. What she is going through now is truly horrific though and I hope Ben either helps her or enables her to help herself.

ALSO, while Hayden is annoying she is revealing a lot of rules and is a good "guide" to the house for viewers. Moira does that for the homeowners, the producers described her as a guide in an interview, and now I think Hayden does that somewhat for us. Remember when she talked about never being able to fix mistakes or change themselves in any way? The experiences of the ghosts in the house are like the Greek myth of Sisyphus. They are doomed to repeat their actions again and again. What if they do go through times of discovery only to have the boulder roll back down the hill? That part may not be a continuity issue, it may be part of the "curse" of the house.

sleepflower

[9]Dec 1, 2011
    • level: 2

This episode was not my favorite. I also am more interested in next week's episode teaser than I was with this whole episode. To make one of the most famous murders take place in this house was a little too much, but why not? Weirder things have happened. So, The Black Dahlia is the "Spooky Little Girl"? When I think little girl, I usually think child. Maybe I misunderstood..

While watching this, I found something to be missing... oh yeah, Violet! I'll leave it at that, seeing as all I seem to want to do is talk about next week. And speculate about what might happen and why...

HeadlinesRCrazy

[10]Dec 2, 2011

sleepflower wrote:

While watching this, I found something to be missing... oh yeah, Violet! I'll leave it at that, seeing as all I seem to want to do is talk about next week. And speculate about what might happen and why...

I'm right there with you! I'm way more intrigued about next week's episode than I was about this week's episode. Vivien: Yawn. I couldn't care less if she stays locked up in the loony bin forever. Ben: My problem with Ben is that, right now, I just don't feel anything for him. I don't feel bad for him. I don't feel good for him. I just think he's boring. I'm really hoping that maybe learning about his childhood will make him more of a character that I can get behind. Hayden: So she helps a couple of people understand that they're dead and gives them a few helpful hints for maneuvering the house and suddenly she's the angel of truth? I think people shouldn't lose sight of the fact that everything Hayden does is for Hayden. She's not being merciful. She's being self serving. A lot of people want to knock all over Violet's character for being a moody teenager who--gasp--thinks she's in love (like that's never happened to a teenager), but Hayden is nothing more than a spoiled undergrad who has no idea what the word "no" means and is so used to getting her way that she thinks if she throws a big enough tantrum, she will get it. She's the biggest baby in the house...definitely who Nora should be looking for if she really wants a baby. Constance's boy toy: Do we really care? I actually enjoy Constance and I think Jessica Lange really does a great job in every scene she has, but I'm starting to feel a little bit frustrated that we really know nothing about her at this point, other than that she kills when she feels betrayed, had four very flawed children, loves babies but hates men, and that she has a strange attachment to the house. When are we going start learning the reasons behind at least some of those things?

MsAnalytical

[11]Dec 3, 2011

HeadlinesRCrazy wrote:

sleepflower wrote:

Hayden: So she helps a couple of people understand that they're dead and gives them a few helpful hints for maneuvering the house and suddenly she's the angel of truth? I think people shouldn't lose sight of the fact that everything Hayden does is for Hayden. She's not being merciful. She's being self serving. A lot of people want to knock all over Violet's character for being a moody teenager who--gasp--thinks she's in love (like that's never happened to a teenager), but Hayden is nothing more than a spoiled undergrad who has no idea what the word "no" means and is so used to getting her way that she thinks if she throws a big enough tantrum, she will get it.

I agree with you about Hayden. I just think she has been useful as a narrator of sorts. Annoying and insane, but has provided useful info. Violet is in a dark place but her PARENTS are so wrapped up in themselves that they are not helping their child, but yet she gets ragged on. I don't get it. I think there is more to the reason for her anger than just teen angst. I have been wondering how much what the grandmother said through the psychic affected her at the time it was actually said. ??? I guess more than anything I am thinking about the characters and wondering what their damage was and what their breaking point trigger was. That is what I wish the show would gear toward instead of this stupid thread it is following with one of the twins being the spawn of satan or whatever.

cawylie

[13]Dec 3, 2011
    • level: 5

sleepflower wrote:
    This episode was not my favorite. I also am more interested in next week's episode teaser than I was with this whole episode. To make one of the most famous murders take place in this house was a little too much, but why not? Weirder things have happened. So, The Black Dahlia is the "Spooky Little Girl"? When I think little girl, I usually think child. Maybe I misunderstood...

I fell asleep during the second half of the episode. I was THAT bored. The worst of the season, imo.

But to answer your ?, the spooky little girl is Hayden. Remember the song played as she was screwing Travis in the house, and played again on Ben and her first "date" (his air guitar solo)? I think that's the intent of the episode title. Hayden is indeed spooky, and being an immature adult in every episode certainly qualifies her to be "a little girl."

Song origin:

The Zombies (original, 1968 )

Santana (cover in the bar scene)

Dusty Springfield (cover in the bedroom scene)

HeadlinesRCrazy

[14]Dec 3, 2011

MsAnalytical wrote:

HeadlinesRCrazy wrote:

sleepflower wrote:

Hayden: So she helps a couple of people understand that they're dead and gives them a few helpful hints for maneuvering the house and suddenly she's the angel of truth? I think people shouldn't lose sight of the fact that everything Hayden does is for Hayden. She's not being merciful. She's being self serving. A lot of people want to knock all over Violet's character for being a moody teenager who--gasp--thinks she's in love (like that's never happened to a teenager), but Hayden is nothing more than a spoiled undergrad who has no idea what the word "no" means and is so used to getting her way that she thinks if she throws a big enough tantrum, she will get it.

I agree with you about Hayden. I just think she has been useful as a narrator of sorts. Annoying and insane, but has provided useful info. Violet is in a dark place but her PARENTS are so wrapped up in themselves that they are not helping their child, but yet she gets ragged on. I don't get it. I think there is more to the reason for her anger than just teen angst. I have been wondering how much what the grandmother said through the psychic affected her at the time it was actually said. ??? I guess more than anything I am thinking about the characters and wondering what their damage was and what their breaking point trigger was. That is what I wish the show would gear toward instead of this stupid thread it is following with one of the twins being the spawn of satan or whatever.

So right about Vivien and Ben being wrapped up in themselves! I'm not currently on the Violet is dead bandwagon. But I won't lie. I do find it very amusing to contemplate the irony that so much of the focus of the show has been on ghosts not realizing that they're dead but that two live people could be SO wrapped up in themselves that they don't even realize their own daughter is dead. Seriously, what does that say about them as characters? How much more of an unfit parent could one be? That's not "benign neglect". That's outright neglect.

mattgus

[15]Dec 4, 2011
    • level: 14
    hayden is a narcissistic personality and sociopath,etc...just to name a few,oh add hysterical personality,borderline and a myriad of other personality disorders,all dangerous...why the good doctor isn't able to see this is the only real flaw in this otherwise perfect horror drama. she is in the mix as a venue for a we love to hate the crazy character,otherwise any looney girlfriend would do for the unpredictable element she brings..well ok kind a predictable

mattgus

[16]Dec 4, 2011
    • level: 14
    add... last week i missed jesica lange,but the truth is there are so many characters they could not all appear every week. i did miss violet too she is a favorite...i loved constance visiting our new mom in the looney bin... "BABIES ARE MY THING"...

sleepflower

[17]Dec 7, 2011
    • level: 2

cawylie wrote:

I fell asleep during the second half of the episode. I was THAT bored. The worst of the season, imo.

But to answer your ?, the spooky little girl is Hayden. Remember the song played as she was screwing Travis in the house, and played again on Ben and her first "date" (his air guitar solo)? I think that's the intent of the episode title. Hayden is indeed spooky, and being an immature adult in every episode certainly qualifies her to be "a little girl."

Song origin:

The Zombies (original, 1968 )

Santana (cover in the bar scene)

Dusty Springfield (cover in the bedroom scene)

Thanks for clearing this up for me. :]