American Horror Story

Welcome To Briarcliff

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Oct 17, 2012 on FX

• The little engine that could but didn't because it got pulled over for DUI

4.5
    I know I will probably receive so much hate for writing this down, but I am just surprised at the bad quality of the second season opener that I cannot help myself.

The greatest problem for me was the already noted frantic editing. It felt like they were trying to cover for actor's bad acting or for the show's mediocre script (when, in truth, most of the actors did a great/good job, especially the Tate kid, who saw a stunning transformation from season one). The show's incredibly fast pace ruined for me the general atmosphere, something that I hope to see go as the season progresses. There was nothing scary or intriguing about everybody rushing through their lines and emotions, just (a tad) irritating. (Yeah, the greatest interracial story and their sex was just unbearably bad, even though their kissing was kind of good.) In all, sex scenes were just badly done, there's no way of putting that mildly, and the nun's red underwear and (kinda) masturbation scenes were a laugh instead of being very subtly sinister and portending.

I think the show has great potential, don't get me wrong, what with the setting and good actors (especially the patients in the asylum), but this just doesn't satisfy me, especially not after season one, where all of them storylines had time to develop and get intertwined, ever so subtle and complex.