American Horror Story

Welcome To Briarcliff

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Oct 17, 2012 on FX

• American Horror Story? Uh, Nope...

When I heard AHS season 2 was going to be a totally different story, location, characters etc, and using actors from the first season (all of my favourites none the less!) I was completely amped up for it. That all sounds amazing considering how neatly wrapped up season 1 ended... In reality this episode has just not pushed any of my buttons. Absolutely everything about this episode felt different. It felt like a completely new show, and that immediately rubbed me up the wrong way. Tim Minear (writer) is a real gem, and a personal favourite of mine in this kind of TV show realm, but the episode felt like it had far too much going on and thus moved far too fast to build any kind of suspense or atmosphere at all.

The "modern day couple" were hammy at best, and Adam Levine felt like nothing more than a ploy to attract teen girls into the audience. There are a million actual actors who would have provided a much better performance and likely not detracted credibility the way Levine seems to. Sex isn't really all that shocking, so the whole storyline of newlyweds travelling the country and getting it on in morbid and freaky locations really just felt so forced. Were there really no better ways of introducing the asylum? A group of kids messing about or wackos trying to commune with the dead would have been much more believable.

Essentially I'm just not feeling it yet. I do sincerely hope that the next episode pulls me in, but so far, I'm just not convinced that this show can work and survive without the supernatural elements of season 1.