TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

American Idol Forums

Wednesday 8:00 PM on FOXIn Season

Did you always agree with past winners?

stellarchick86

[1]Mar 5, 2009
    • level: 32
    Alright so basically we've had 7 seasons so far and I was just wondering who voted for whom in the past and if it was always the person who won. Ill go ahead and start.

Season 1- Kelly Clarkson- Yes, loved her and loved that she won. Have 2 of her cds.

Season 2- Rubun Studdard- Well, I didnt mind Clay Aikens voice but I was rooting for R at the time. I just liked his souful R&B voice but only heard one song from him where as I heard some Clay stuff because my friend was rooting for him and it wasnt too bad. Ill just say its a wash really.

Season 3- Fantasia Barrino- Good God, no. I hated her voice. It was like Macy Gray but worse. I didnt understand her winning whatsoever. I was totally rooting for Latoya, Dianna, anyone but her. When she came back last year to sing some stupid song it was horrible and the look on Simons face said it all.

Season 4- Carrie Underwood- Yes. I loved her voice and even though Im not a big country fan I thought she did a great job of singing good at country, pop, rock, whatever she needed to. I dont have any of her cds but I do have some songs downloaded (who doesnt love "Before He Cheats"?).

Season 5- Taylor Hicks- No. I was rooting for Chris Daughtry the most and loved him incredibly. Also have his cd. Once he was kicked off, I started rooting for Katherine McPhee (have one of her songs DLed) even though some of my friends were rooting for Taylor, so it made for an interesting finale when we saw it together. I just didnt get the appeal to him and thought Katherine had a great voice and Chris was much more entertaining.

Season 6- Jordan Sparks- Yes, I liked her and her voice and the fact that shes from my hometown didnt hurt either lol. There were a few others I liked that were in the top 5 as well but I was just rooting for her the most. Have a few songs of hers DLed too.

Season 7- David Cook- Yes and no. I went back and fourth between him and Archie. I was a big Daughtry fan, like I said, so I sort of felt like "eh the rocker guy already got far, lets get someone on here who is a male with a good (pop) voice") (Rubun's the only one that comes close but he was R&B, I was looking for someone a little more pop/soft rock). It doesnt mean that when Cook was announced the winner I was wanting to throw my tv out of the window because I kept going back and fourth with who I liked more, I just cant say "yes I was always rooting for him" because itd be a lie. Now, I have no idea where Archie is even at right now hes probably doing Disney stuff or something lol where as I DLed some D.C. stuff and will probably go buy his album (just havent yet).

Ok, phew. Lol. So let me know about you!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

myintermail

[2]Mar 6, 2009
    • level: 7
    Season 1: Kelly Clarkson. The only winner that I do not have complaints. Happy even.

Season 2: Ruben. Ugh. He bores me to tears. Clay should have won but he's okay now so whatever.

Season 3: Fantasia. Worst. Winner. Ever. Enough said.

Season 4: Carrie. Don't care for her at that time (I'm an Anthony fan) but I'm fine with her winning anyways.

Season 5: Taylor Hicks. How did he win already? Katharine, Elliott and Chris Daughtry are much more better than him.

Season 6: Jordin. After everyone just falter (Melinda!) and Sanjaya "murdered" almost half of the contestants, she is the last one standing that I can tolerate.

Season 7: David Cook. I was thanking God for having him the win instead of Archuleta who gets a pass even though he sucked in some of his performances.

90210rox

[3]Mar 6, 2009
    • level: 14

I didn't watch the first two seasons, but I would agree with Kelly winning. And, I don't really care about S2. I only saw about half of S3, and I don't really care about that season now, either.

S4: Carrie Underwood -- Big yes!

S5: Taylor Hicks -- Like everybody else, I was rooting for Chris Daughtry to win. Actually, after his elimination, I decided not to watch anymore. I just watched the next two weeks to see who the winner was. I was indifferent to Elliot, and I didn't like Katharine, so it was only Taylor left for me. But no, I didn't agree with the winner that year.

S6: Jordin Sparks -- I only watched snippets of this season, but I saw enough to want Blake to win over Jordin. I was never crazy about her.

S7: David Cook -- Cookie's performance of Billie Jean, that I saw by chance, was the one that got me watching AI again. He is, by far, my favorite AI. I def. agree with him winning.

chtimixeur

[4]Mar 6, 2009
    • level: 3
    I started watching after 4 seasons.

Season 5- Taylor Hicks- No. I was rooting for Chris Daughtry

Season 6- Jordan Sparks- No, I was just rooting for Melinda Doolittle (IMO, the best voice EVER in this competition)

Season 7- David Cook- Yes and no. He was alright, but definitely not amazing. Season 7 was a real mess. And I hated Archuleta's voice and noisy breathing.

stellarchick86

[5]Mar 6, 2009
    Glad to see Im not the only one not on the Fantasia or Taylor love-train. I just didnt get their hype at all. Id rather listen to an Adam Lambert CD than either of those 2.

leeseygirl

[6]Mar 6, 2009
    • level: 46
    Kelly- I didn't watch season 1 but I love Kelly. She has great music.

Reuben- I liked Reuben. I don't think I paid much attention to that season though...

Fantasia- I still don't like her. Sorry, but I just don't think she's the best singer...

Carrie- I love Carrie. I hear she's kind of a diva, but I love her music.

Taylor- Daughtry should've won that season! But when it got to the final two I wanted Katharine to win because she had a better voice, but I thought Taylor was pretty entertaining...but you never hear anything about him anymore...

Jordin- I love Jordin! She's great! =D Very talented.

David C.- I loved both him and Archuleta! They were extremely talented. It was hard to pick who sang better because they were completely different in the styles they sang. But I was happy David Cook won, but I wouldn't have hated it if Archie'd won.

sylent_asassin

[7]Mar 6, 2009
    • level: 26
    leeseygirl wrote:

You mean Carrie is a female version of a Hustler? I so hate Beyonce's music.

Get used to the wrong person winning. Once the competition gets down the top 10 or so, it ceases being a singing competition and becomes a popularity contest. Seasons 2, 3 and 5 are proof. Cook won last year only by the grace of God. According to the judges, Archuleta could do no wrong even when he forgot the flipping lyrics!

Since this season is meh-diocre when it comes to vocals, it should be pretty well balanced since there really isn't one contestant that is head and shoulders better than anyone else.

Music4OurSouls

[8]Mar 6, 2009
    • level: 4

To the Poster b4 me and all the rest, actually:

Let me just say that I'm so glad I wandered into ya'll's world today. I have to say that it's so nice that you all have active brain cells, can be witty when you want and don't have to be disrespectful to stand up for your opinions! I re-registered a week or so ago in what I not so affectionately call "LaLaLand" elsewhere on the mighty web, and what a trip that was! General Discussion in there is Crazzzzy. Recaps are well done, tho'. Anyway, wish ya'll (sorry texas thing) posted more frequently, but guess you're just not as "manic" as the munchkins in Oz! Perhaps I got out of LaLaLand/Oz and found my way to Kansas! Especially looking at how many of you like Cook. Me Twelve, or whatever the appreciation number is up to here! I will say that my son (family music expert) says he prefers Daughtry's debut to Cook's, mostly because Cook's seemed "over-produced" to him. Just an fyi. I like them both. As far as the other seasons, can't improve on what's already been said. I do think it's important to note that many top ten singers have out-shined the winners. I pretty much believe that whoever gets exposure into week 5 or so can make or break whatever career was their destiny to have. Examples include Daughtry (my alltime fav), Josh Gracin, Jennifer Hudson, Clay (duh), Yamin, even Bucky & Kellie P. Here's to a hopefully enjoyable season 8 !! If ya'll don't run me otta here, next time maybe I can ask about the polarizing effect of ADAM. Got lots of artistic-based questions on him. Thanks for sharing and letting me ramble. :>)

imthemediagirl

[9]Mar 6, 2009
    • level: 12
    Season 1: Kelly Clarkson. yes.

Season 2: Ruben. no. prefer- clay aiken (come onn, people)

Season 3: fantasia. no.

Season 4: Carrie. sure. she's pulled it off and become a great country artist. im down with that.

Season 5: Taylor Hicks. no. one word: chris.

Season 6: Jordin. not really.

Season 7: David Cook. yes!

coutterhill

[10]Mar 6, 2009
    • level: 14

I only started watching since Season 6

Jordin-don't understand why people thought she was great. i was going for Melinda

David Cook-YES YES YES!! My husband says he set the bar. I believe that in this season, no one has topped him yet.

TreeHill_89

[11]Mar 7, 2009
    I only started watching it from season 4.

Season 4: I'm so glad Carrie won, i was rooting for her
    Season 5: I can't believe Taylor won. It should of been Chris, Kat or Eillot
    Season 6: Jordin, she's amazing
    Season 7: David Cook. YES! I also love Kelly one of the best AL winners!

Music4OurSouls

[12]Mar 7, 2009

imthemediagirl wrote:
    Season 1: Kelly Clarkson. yes. Season 2: Ruben. no. prefer- clay aiken (come onn, people) Season 3: fantasia. no. Season 4: Carrie. sure. she's pulled it off and become a great country artist. im down with that. Season 5: Taylor Hicks. no. one word: chris. Season 6: Jordin. not really. Season 7: David Cook. yes!

Yes! Think we may be twin whatever of different mothers! The only thing I have to admit is that I jumped on the Hicks Wagon. I hope the best for him, but he just didn't translate into a recording artist I'd buy. It was likability over marketability and I won't make that mistake again. Thanks for mentioning Chris! I've been trying to think of his name for days. He was my fav that season..unless that was Melinda's year also. She was awesome.

leeseygirl

[13]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 46
    sylent_asassin wrote:
    leeseygirl wrote:

You mean Carrie is a female version of a Hustler? I so hate Beyonce's music.

Get used to the wrong person winning. Once the competition gets down the top 10 or so, it ceases being a singing competition and becomes a popularity contest. Seasons 2, 3 and 5 are proof. Cook won last year only by the grace of God. According to the judges, Archuleta could do no wrong even when he forgot the flipping lyrics!

Since this season is meh-diocre when it comes to vocals, it should be pretty well balanced since there really isn't one contestant that is head and shoulders better than anyone else.

haha. I just meant that I've heard she thinks she's the best there ever was and best there ever will be.

simpsonian100

[14]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 12

I started watching in Season 4, so here goes.

4: No. I wanted Bo to win.

5: I was a Daughtry fan and I couldn't stand McPhee. Taylor was my second favorite so I was glad when he won.

6: In the worst season I watched, I was upset when Blake didn't win. It was unfair when both of them had to sing the same song at the end, when it clearly favored Jordin's voice!

7: Absolutely 100% satisfied because David Cook is the man!

Music4OurSouls

[15]Mar 9, 2009

leeseygirl wrote:
    sylent_asassin wrote:
    leeseygirl wrote:
    You mean Carrie is a female version of a Hustler? I so hate Beyonce's music. Get used to the wrong person winning. Once the competition gets down the top 10 or so, it ceases being a singing competition and becomes a popularity contest. Seasons 2, 3 and 5 are proof. Cook won last year only by the grace of God. According to the judges, Archuleta could do no wrong even when he forgot the flipping lyrics! Since this season is meh-diocre when it comes to vocals, it should be pretty well balanced since there really isn't one contestant that is head and shoulders better than anyone else.
    haha. I just meant that I've heard she thinks she's the best there ever was and best there ever will be.

HaHa...ya'll are cool & fun. Perhaps Miss Carrie has been too busy accepting awards/surprising Faith Hill that she's not met a little Band called DAUGHTRY or a guy from Kansas called COOK.

I like Carrie....usually. Did get a bit sick of her "I don't even Know his Name", but primarily because it was played on too many shows and also becoz it reminded me of the late 70's - early 80's. We were bad before MJ made that a good thing!

mstheresa1969

[16]Mar 9, 2009
    • level: 36
    Season 1--I didn't watch, but I'm a huge fan of Kelly
    Season 2--I liked Ruben, so I was pleased
    Season 3--ehh. I think they made too big of a deal over Fantasia
    Season 4--Carrie and Bo were both my favorites, so I would have been happy with either
    Season 5--this was an effing joke. Chris and Pickler should have been in the final 2 over Taylor and Katherine. And it has shown in their post idol success
    Season 6--Same as 4; I liked both Jordin and Blake
    Season 7--correct final 2. Plus neither had never been in the bottom group

nickel2006

[17]Mar 9, 2009
    • level: 48
    The only winners I really like are Kelly and Jordin. Ruben is ok. I don't have an opinion on Fantasia or Taylor. I despise David Cook and Carrie.

kikimarie593

[18]Mar 9, 2009
    • level: 27

Kelly Clarkson - I'm not a huge fan or anything, but I think she deserved to win. I like some of her songs and she definitely has a great voice.

Ruben Studdard - No opinion on him, since I've never heard him sing.

Fantasia Barrino - Absolutely not! I can't stand her voice at all! I have no idea how she won.

Carrie Underwood - Yes! Carrie is my favorite singer of all time and I was rooting for her from the beginning! Her voice is incredible and I have all her CDs!

Taylor Hicks - Like Fantasia, I have no idea why he won. His voice is pretty bad and not many people listen to his type of music. He lost his record deal and I can see why. I liked Chris Daughtry and Kellie Pickler this year.

Jordin Sparks - She was my favorite this year from the very first time I heard her sing. I think she's great! Not the best contestant there's ever been, but still great.

David Cook - When he was on I didn't like him. I liked Kristy Lee Cook, Brooke White, and Syesha. But after he won I started liking him more. His voice is really good, but not as great as some people say. So although I didn't like him much at first, I'm glad he won.

palari

[19]Mar 9, 2009
    • level: 1
    Didn't watch season1 but I think Kelly is awesome. Season 2 I don't care. Can't stand Fantasia, Carrie's not bad, I liked Taylor but don't think he is Idol material. I couldn't tell you what Jodin looks or sounds like.

David Cook's season was great. Spotted him early and if I could have voted for him all season I would have.

mstheresa1969

[20]Mar 9, 2009
    • level: 36
    nickel2006 wrote:
    The only winners I really like are Kelly and Jordin. Ruben is ok. I don't have an opinion on Fantasia or Taylor. I despise David Cook and Carrie.

what are you smoking?